Menu

A bike while laid off?

Janeway

We had planned to buy a bike for my husband on Black Friday. He is a bigger than average person, so we had planned to buy something quite nice on a Black Friday sale. He definitely really needs more exercise. I had planned to have the spending up to $300 on the sale price, hoping to get something half off that would originally be $600 about. I never see sales for bikes like that in the entire rest of the year.

My husband is saying we shouldn't do it now, because he does not have a job. But I am thinking we should, because he has gained a bunch of weight in recent times and getting exercise might improve his outlook, as well as maybe slim him up a little bit and make job prospects better. And if I tell him to get it anyway, he will. 

What do you think? Good investment in his health so get it anyway while it is on sale and he has time to exercise, or..just a luxury so wait until he has a job.

• Like 1

An expensive bike when you are worried about financial security doesn't make sense.  You know this, and if someone else had asked you would have the same answer.  It is a luxury.

There are a lot of bikes out there, if one must be had, for a fraction of that.  Or even for nearly free, and then professionally tuned up.  A tune up here costs $100 (a very detailed one), and a bike from a thrift store costs $20.

A good compromise might be getting a bike now, and then a nicer one when he gets a job as a celebratory thing. 

• Like 3

If he likes to bike while on errands, an adult tricycle for under $300 might be nice for carting groceries home. If he doesn't like biking, an exercise bike might be a better investment as a family exercise equipment.

If there is a bike on his wish list and your family has the $300 set aside, then get the bike. Counting pennies when money has already been set aside for some splurge can be demoralizing too.

I vote for the bike and the exercise he will get, if he uses the bike frequently.  I won my bike, in a raffle from Purina, in 2003 when we were building this house. We live in an area where it is nearly flat.  I ride my bike a lot. That's my exercise program. If your DH will ride the bike you buy, frequently, I vote for the purchase. Our next door neighbor is 80+ and he has a bike that he rides around our subdivision for exercise.  I ride mine to/from town to run errands and/or shop, as I did this morning.  My bike probably has at least 12K miles on it.  It doesn't look like a new bike, but the Frame has held up and everything else that might need to be replaced is inexpensive, if something needs replacing.  BUY HIM A SAFETY HELMET TOO!   As with a motorcycle, "Pull it on, before you turn it on"

An expensive bike when you are worried about financial security doesn't make sense.  You know this, and if someone else had asked you would have the same answer.  It is a luxury.

There are a lot of bikes out there, if one must be had, for a fraction of that.  Or even for nearly free, and then professionally tuned up.  A tune up here costs $100 (a very detailed one), and a bike from a thrift store costs $20.

A good compromise might be getting a bike now, and then a nicer one when he gets a job as a celebratory thing. 

He is "bigger" and by that, I do not mean taller. Because of his weight, the lessor expensive Walmart and Target ones I purchased in the past did not last long. He likes to bike and really needs exercise so he is less "bigger."

He is "bigger" and by that, I do not mean taller. Because of his weight, the lessor expensive Walmart and Target ones I purchased in the past did not last long. He likes to bike and really needs exercise so he is less "bigger."

My Walmart bike didn't hold up, either.  But especially this time of year, the thrift stores end up with all sorts of bikes.  If you absolutely, completely feel that you MUST spend $300 or have no bike at all, that it's not even worth bothering to look for something second hand, then you've already made your decision.  There is nothing anyone can say, so it's more a JAWM post. 

• Like 4

No way in hell would I spend $300 on a bike if income wasn't coming into the house. Especially if I were worried about money prior to the job loss, which from your many recent posts you were.

If you feel he needs a bike search for free, low cost used, or bike auctions. A quality bike can be found for pretty cheap used. I just picked 2 up for free. one is for my ds's bday and the other one will be for whoever needs a bike next. I'll need to get new tubes and a chain probably but that is nothing compared to a new bike.

• Like 7

This is something that you and your husband will have to answer.  It is possible it will add more stress to his life - not only about the money but about pressure to ride it to make it "worth it."  If he is the primary/only  breadwinner I would encourage him to get it - and list the reasons you think it's a good idea - but let him decide.   

ETA: And if he gets it, never ever mention it or the money.  If you think he's not riding it enough, keep quiet.  If you end up regretting it because some expense comes up and that money would have been useful, keep quiet.  Not saying you are prone to doing this, but I've seen it happen.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

Do you get Winter weather where you live (frozen precipitation)?   If so, that might be a good reason for delaying the purchase.  We live in a Tropical Valley, so I can ride year round, even on an extremely cold day like today, where it got down to frigid 61 F. early this morning.  If there is Snow/Sleet/Freezing Rain (things I have experienced), that would be a very good reason to consider delaying the purchase until Spring arrives.  

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

Nope. I wouldn't do that, and neither would my DH. No income = no luxuries or non-necessary purchases.

You can justify it by saying it's not a luxury because he needs the exercise, it will help him get a job, etc, and if that works for you, that's ok, for you. But I still wouldn't. :)

• Like 3

I wouldn't do it nope.

Even though we have a big e-fund and buying something like that wouldn't hurt us at all in unemployment.  It is just my nature to cut back if something like that was going on and only do things we really need.

Do you live in a place that gets winter?  You wont get much use out of it if so, unless you are getting a fat tire bike.  

Pick up one on CL for cheap.

Can he walk?  Run? 

That is a lot cheaper.

Biking is an expensive hobby.  Ask me how I know

• Like 1

There are too many variables here you haven't addressed for any of us to provide any real meaningful advice.  Most importantly, what is your current financial situation?  Can you cover 2 or 3 years of unemployment with your savings?  if so, I say buy the bike.  If you can only cover 2 or 3 weeks of expenses, I say don't buy the bike.  

If your husband knows enough about selecting a bike that fits him, I would definitely keep an eye on Craigslist.  A lot of crazy good deals on bikes pop up there.  If not, it would probably be prudent to buy it somewhere that will help fit him to the right sized frame.

Wal-Mart bikes and the like usually don't last long because they're made from lower quality materials and components than bike store bikes.  In this case, you generally get what you pay for up to a point.

• Like 5

If he were enthusiastic about it and feeling like it's a good thing, yes, sure I would.  But since he's resistant, I wouldn't.  And only you know what your ongoing budget looks like.   would however start doing a walk with him daily for a start.  You can start small. 

My husband is a huge biker.  He now owns 4 different bikes for different purposes and full on winter biking gear.  LOL.  It is not necessarily a cheap hobby.  ;)

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 2

If you're sure he'll use it, I'd say do it. If there's a chance he'll bike twice then hibernate the rest of the winter it might not be the best "right now" purchase. However, even though he's not in the position to improve your bottom line right now, improving his health is VERY important to your family's long term stability.

I get his. My DH is almost 6 foot 2 and use to weigh 270 pounds. Walmart bikes, or even used bikes never fit him comfortably. They also wouldn't have lasted long since even the expensive bikes didn't last for years. 

We have been able to find used exercise equipment for free or nearly free. He has developed a like for exercising while watching TV. And if the equipment only cost 40 dollars it doesn't matter if it only lasts for half a year. He has had two ellipitcals and two exercise bikes.

Edited by Julie Smith

No bike.  There is no income coming in.  No spending on anything that isn't for pure survival (food, shelter, clothing) or to get a new job.  

He can walk up and down the street. He can add a few seconds of jogging and then work his way up. Try the C25k (couch to 5K) program.  It's free.  You just download how much you're supposed to walk/jog every other day and then do it somewhere outside.  My dad used to run up and down a staircase in the house a few times a day for exercise.  Situps are free.  And cut his portions along with the exercise.  Whenever he goes somewhere in the car, park at the far end of the lot and walk through it.  He can even go walking in a mall if it's too hot/cold outside.

When income comes in, then get the bike.  Until then, do free things.  

If you don't have money coming in, then don't send money out.  I am a little befuddled by the suggestions otherwise.  There are so many free options for exercise.   

• Like 10

A bike is a good investment if he will use it, but agree that now is the time to use CL. If he isnt going to have time to use it when returning to work, I would look at a treadmill or exercise bike instead, again thru CL or asking around, as he needs daily exercise and those can be used any time of day.

Do you get Winter weather where you live (frozen precipitation)?   If so, that might be a good reason for delaying the purchase.  We live in a Tropical Valley, so I can ride year round, even on an extremely cold day like today, where it got down to frigid 61 F. early this morning.  If there is Snow/Sleet/Freezing Rain (things I have experienced), that would be a very good reason to consider delaying the purchase until Spring arrives.  

There exist snow tires for bicycles. DW bicycle commutes 7 or so miles to her work in WNY - yes, in winter as well (occasionally she might take the bike on the bus with her, or work from home). But snow/ice/sleet/etc are not a deal breaker.

If you have two cars, you could sell one, buy the bike, and presumably have money left over.

• Like 1

If he bikes instead of using a vehicle for errands, then the bike could be a money saver.

I have a neighbor who puts on spandex to go for a bike ride. The purpose is the ride. I wear normal clothes and ride my bike to the grocery, farmer's market, place where I volunteer, etc. The bike is my transportation. Given your financial situation, you might want to ask entertainment/fitness or transportation?

• Like 1

We just bought DS a bike for Christmas but before we purchased new we looked at some used bikes on Craigslist and were amazed at how well kept and cheap some the bikes were. $600+ trek's from around late 90's early 2000's were going for $100-$200. A $1200 bike in 1999 was going for $250.  

We went with new because it was a Christmas present. If he likes to ride and does it regularly we'll get him one of the used ones next year.

just for exercise - no way.

unemployment = no income.  you don't know how long unemployment will last or how much of your savings will  be left when he is again employed.

unemployment means absolute nada on luxuries.  and a bike for exercise is a luxury.

he can walk, he can jog, he can use some  of your canned  goods as weight (or milk jugs filled with water.) to build muscle (muscle burns more calories.  higher muscle mass = higher metabolism.)

get a length of rope and jump rope, etc.

• Like 1

I think he might get more value of having a goal of walking 15 minutes a day and drinking X amount of water and other healthy goals to help him lose weight. My DH has been very consistent in walking at least 15 minutes a night (knee momentarily hurt so can't jog), and it's been very stress relieving and he's lost weight. In very proud of him for his consistency.

• Like 1

This doesn't strike me as the time for an expenditure of that type.

The year my husband got laid off, we only got Christmas presents for our DD, and they were minimal, mostly stuff I had bought already.  AND I made presents for everyone else on the list.  Thinking like that is part of what got us through.  We kept our COBRA, which was not cheap.  It's not that we were cheap.  It's that we were extremely, over the top frugal, for a while.

• Like 2

Have you seen ads that show half off bikes? Our bike shops don't do deep sales like that even on Black Friday. 20-30% is considered a great sale. 

I'm a cyclist and it's my way to relieve stress so I definitely think cycling might be a great form of exercise for your dh. But I'd look at used bikes at bike shops or a Craig's list bike if you think your dh can judge whether a bike fits him properly. 

• 10 months later...

We had planned to buy a bike for my husband on Black Friday. He is a bigger than average person, so we had planned to buy something quite nice on a Black Friday sale. He definitely really needs more exercise. I had planned to have the spending up to $300 on the sale price, hoping to get something half off that would originally be $600 about. I never see sales for bikes like that in the entire rest of the year.

My husband is saying we shouldn't do it now, because he does not have a job. But I am thinking we should, because he has gained a bunch of weight in recent times and getting exercise might improve his outlook, as well as maybe slim him up a little bit and make job prospects better. And if I tell him to get it anyway, he will. 

What do you think? Good investment in his health so get it anyway while it is on sale and he has time to exercise, or..just a luxury so wait until he has a job.

Of course, I think it is the best investment. We need to take care of our health. We haven't anything more important than our health, please remember it.

If he will use, then yes. Can he use it to run errands and save on gas and wear and tear on a car? In the meantime, can he start walking for exercise? 

Being in good health - both physical and mental (and exercise helps with both) is worth every penny. 

This reminds me that I should get a bike..LOL...

I did come up with two second hand ones so both of us can ride. Both are for the kids, but they are good enough that my husband and I borrow them and ride. I just need to get going.

Edited by Janeway