Menu

What are you getting your teens/older children for Christmas?

Prairie~Phlox

Dd is going to be 19, still living at home, but is planning to move out in about a year after she gets her Associates from CC.  Ds 17 & 15 both enjoy video games, legos, typical boy things. 

I usually do a reading item, thinking magazine this year, but open to a good book as well.  Dd is into nail/make up, gardening (she works at a local greenhouse)

I'm also thinking of a hoodie (I usually rotate between a pair of pajamas, a shirt (last year it was a Star Wars shirt since that movie came out) and a hoodie, it's been a while since we've had hoodies. 

Still thinking of what else, probably one more gift about $50? I've gotten my boys tools in the past, they have a nice socket set & tool bags.

What are you getting yours or other ideas on what to get them to help them in the future?

Thanks!

Not sure about this year yet.

In past years, DS has gotten gear for his sports and lots of books.

DD got books and small kitchen appliances because she loves to cook. While she lived in a  dorm, the stuff stayed here; now she moved into an apartment and has taken her mixer and chopper... just not yet the ice cream maker.

• Like 1

We have almost the same situation here, but our newly turned 19 yr old will probably still be at home for a while longer. For your dd, would she appreciate tools as well, or kitchen items for when she moves out things for taking care of her car (an emergency kit, for example), stuff like that? We have done items like that for our oldest, even without "move out" on the horizon. Or since she likes gardening, maybe garden stuff? Does she like the little fairie garden things? That could be fun.

For the younger teens, if they still like Legos, I don't see a problem getting those. Other ideas....new video games, more tools for their sets, nice watches or wallets or men's grooming kits (a nice electric razor, things like that, since they will "soon" begin shaving if they aren't already). We've done all of those in the past as well. Or special interest items...our 15 yr old plays guitar, so books of favorite music for the guitar, a nice tuner, things like that may end up on his list.

One thing we have done in the past and might do again is a large joint gift (for instance, the year we bought the XBox, it was a gift for all three boys), or we have done experience gifts like lessons, memberships to fun places, things like that. Maybe something along those lines could work for some of yours. It is such a hard set of ages to figure out!

Good board games if they don't have them yet, like Catan or Carcasonne that they can take with them when they move out?

I'm getting new fancy bed pillows for everyone, a computer chair for oldest, hoodies from dance studio, summer camp tees, fandom something for the teens.

Tickets to a show or event?

• Like 3

Gift cards to Amazon for books an online gaming place and some board games. She's picky and doesn't have much she wants so those are the few things I can come up with that will actually be used and not clutter up a closet!

I just ask our oldest dd (she's 20). Not as fun as having surprises, but she gives me a list and knows chances are she'll get something she'd like/needs.

This year? 2 Massage gift cards, an expensive football T-shirt she wanted. For stocking stuffers? Body spray, her favorite chocolate, gift cards to favorite restaurants or coffee places, and sometimes just cash for whatever she needs

A pair of shoes, (Oldest is getting boots, Middle is getting converse shoes). Some art/stationery supplies (Oldest draws constantly and Middle is into fountain pens). A few t-shirts. Gift cards to Sephora probably. Not sure what else. :)

Last year, we did really good headphones - the older two got Bose wireless and the younger two chose wired sets from Monster.  Not sure what will work this year, but we will prolly think of something. 

We always do a movie in the theater on Christmas Day - preferably IMAX with popcorn and junk food and they count that as part of their presents.

Stocking stuffers have been German candy and usually a small gag gift.  I was hunting out on ThinkGeek this weekend and saw some funny items.

Ack--no ideas for this year. I'm seriously thinking it's time to just give them $. Possibly a "notepad" of $20s (glue ends with rubber cement) to pay for haircuts for the year. I'm uninspired this year as they're both working and buying their own wants. And I think we've pretty much covered the basic needs so what's left? Hoping this thread will inspire me.

• Like 1

All of my kids are still at home and none of them really need or want anything personal so we've decided instead to get a puppy as a family Christmas gift.  :scared:

Each of the kids will also get earbuds and candy. I believe grandparents are giving them each a movie theater gift card. Those are always appreciated!

• Like 2

when my girls were that age - they were heading to college.  I bought them things for living away from home.  tools, kitchen etc.  gender is irrelevant because both need those basic items if they're in their own place.  (I did get some flowery stuff for 2dd 'cause she likes that stuff.  but not a(n underweight) hammer or (short) tape measure.)

my budget will vary from year to year too.

2ds loves whipped cream in a can - I'm getting him a N20 whipped cream dispenser and cartridges for christmas.  then he can make his own.

when 1ds moved out - I bought him a santoku knife - because it was his favorite, and he would miss it.  (it's my favorite too.)

2 years ago - I bought 2dd a new down comforter and duvet cover. (I start shopping in sep/oct.)  she was living at 1dd's and had a queen bed. she was still in the stage of dating a guy between 1 and 3 times then moving on.   she was sure a twin would be fine.  I got her a queen. . . . she was (formally) engaged on Christmas eve.  glad I bought a queen.  (this year - they get a 'new home' 2016 Christmas ornament, since they just bought a house.  maybe a garden book. third year in a row (just engaged 2014, first married 2015, maybe next year it can be a baby's first Christmas? . . . can you tell I want grandkids?  I haven't said anything to them, and I won't.)

• Like 2

All of my kids are still at home and none of them really need or want anything personal so we've decided instead to get a puppy as a family Christmas gift.  :scared:

Each of the kids will also get earbuds and candy. I believe grandparents are giving them each a movie theater gift card. Those are always appreciated!

so - who's going to take the puppy wtih them when they move out?  or are YOU getting a puppy which will live another 13 - 16 years (depending upon breed.)

I keep thinking of one - but it's not practical and dh doens't want to own one.

DD15 is getting a backpack.  Last year we got her some really good drawing pens.

DS13 no idea yet.  We are thinking about maybe his own tent or something.

DS11 wants snow camping gear like a collapsible snow shovel, good pair of gloves, etc.

Our kids (one teen, the rest are younger) couldn't think of anything that they really wanted for Christmas. I think they know we are in purge mode right now, trying to get as close to minimalist as we can get with 4 kids (most minimalists would laugh at our attempt). We decided last night to take our first family vacation as everyone's Christmas present. We're going to see grandparents in Arizona, then going to San Diego for a couple of days. It's not much, but they are happy to be going somewhere.

• Like 2

so - who's going to take the puppy wtih them when they move out?  or are YOU getting a puppy which will live another 13 - 16 years (depending upon breed.)

I keep thinking of one - but it's not practical and dh doens't want to own one.

That was a major point! My son will be with us for another 8-10 years, by then one of the children must take the dog. Three of them are really animal people - much more so than I am, so I am fairly certain one will step up. The dogs we are looking at tend to live 12-14 years, so worst case scenario is I may have to take care of an elderly dog for a few years after the kids are all gone. My husband's not too excited either, but the children are old enough and have proven responsible enough to care for a puppy without much assistance from us.

For those considering camping supplies, Hennessy Hammocks is having an October odds and ends sale right now. My daughter's Girl Scout leaders (who also lead Venture crews) both swear by their Hennessy camping hammocks, as do their sons who are Eagle Scouts (and one husband who is a Boy Scout leader). My husband loves the one he just bought, as does another friend. https://hennessyhammock.com/collections/oe_sale  Some items are with small repairs, but several are listed as like new demo or prototype models. They also seem to have sales a few times a year on their regular stock, so may be worth checking periodically. It's something we've considered for my daughter as her whole GS troop now wants to hammock camp. I like the integrated bug nets and that they come with rain flys. We may also consider a hammock without a net before she heads to college (or just send the one we currently have strung up on the screened porch, where she likes to do schoolwork).

For this year, she's saving up for a new phone to replace her handed-down iphone 4 and specifically wants another iphone, so we'll likely contribute toward that as her primary Solstice gift, along with a book from her Amazon wish list. We do Santa stockings for Christmas, which will likely include a gift card of some sort (itunes, movie theatre, Panera where she likes to do group study sessions for her DE classes, teen/young adult consignment store, Target), some candy (she has a dark sense of humor so this is often something I pick up at the after Halloween sales), the required sesame sticks and an orange, maybe another paperback or a movie to add to her collection of favorites that she's building to be able to take with her eventually. I rarely keep junk food in the house, so there might be Pringles, pocky, or Jarritos soda.

• Like 2

I always stick with books if I can. Used books in fact -- you can get 3x the number of lightly used books on Amazon as new. Buying Amazon Prime is another good choice.

Check out Better World Books as another good option for used books. www.betterworldbooks.com I've also had good luck sometimes with Paperback Swap for more common titles www.paperbackswap.com.

For the past 2 or 3 years we have done trips.  We also do trips for every kiddos birthday.  

I love the dog for a present.  My kids would love that.  But as much as we travel right now I don't want the expense of a dog.  And I don't want to take care of one either. 

I hope a trip or other experience things like classes or tickets.   They don't touch things they got last year.  We have way to much "stuff."

• Like 1

I always do a small kitchen tool in the stockings. They're not excited about it, but they're building up a decent collection (stored under my bed) that they'll get when they move out. They have measuring spoons and cups, wooden spoons, spatulas, and kitchen shears. I think this year will be pizza cutters (I need one too!). Their wishlists have things like Amazon gift cards, makeup, art supplies. I'm thinking everyone might get some Nike stuff too. I would love to get them new Bear Paw boots--older dd's are from 5th grade and youngest has outgrown her last pair. But it's hard to make that a surprise as I need to know their size. I've learned that you can't guess and expect to exchange them after Christmas because they're all gone then.

We finally got a puppy for youngest, 6 years after our previous lab died. She only has 5 more years at home, but I couldn't see her going through the rest of her time here never having a dog--she's such a dog person. I've been pleasantly surprised by how happy dh is to have a dog again. I told him, "you know, we'll have no more kids at home in 5 years and it will be just us taking care of the dog," and he said, "that's okay" in a very happy, content kind of way.

• Like 3

Coming back to this after thinking some about what we actually will do....probably the older two will get new seats for their bicycles, and oldest will likely get a mouse for his laptop now that he is using it more. We will probably move to cash or gift cards for the bulk of their gift, and they will get the traditional (for us) set of Lego MiniFigures of the latest series. This is more a gift for the youngest at this point, but they all still enjoy it, and it has become tradition. (Those show up in their stockings each year, 5 mini figs each).

D17 wants the Lego holiday train set (we get her a set every year) and the Throne of Glass coloring book (just ordered today). I'm not sure if she prefers colored pencils or fine markets. Her iPod went belly up this summer after she was caught in a rain storm, so we'll probably get her a new one. Not sure what else--definitely a gift card or two for Panera etc.

Dd21 (college senior)--we might get her a used car. It's going to be her graduation present but she could really use it sooner because of her work hours. She loves and needs more kitcheny stuff, so perhaps an immersion blender or bullet-type blender for smoothies.

Ds23 is tricky. Perhaps some backpacking or biking gear.

• Like 1

I'm not entirely certain yet, but I wanted to mention that last year for my DD, I gave her an eyeshadow pallete from Sephora (Urban Decay, Naked 2). She was thrilled with this because this is expensive makeup she would not buy herself and it allowed me to give her something of approximate value to something DS was getting.

I'm thinking for DS16 (he'll be 17 then), a new Ravens jersey, since his former jersey is too small and is Rice - not proud to support. This is another item I never buy casually because they are too expensive for everyday clothing purchase.

ds17 - a steelpan drum

dd14 - a monofin

They always appreciate gift cards to places like the movie theaters, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc. These are places they like to go with friends...

I like to give them "experiences" or gift cards to places like zip line parks/ tree-line obstacle courses, rock climbing gyms, etc. It's always gone over well...

Ds turned 19 last month and will likely be at home at least until he finishes community college. He asked for a computer game that's coming out in November. Other than that, I'm not sure. He likes to wear knitted hats like the singer from Twenty One Pilots, so I might knit him another one (I've made several in different colors and he loves them). I'm not sure what else we'll get him. Maybe a new set of gaming headphones. Stocking stuffers will probably be gift cards, guitar strings and/or picks, and maybe some beef jerky. I can never go wrong with a band tee shirt from a classic rock 70s or 80s band.

ETA: I just checked his Amazon wish list. He added a few things in September but it looks like he needs to update the list a bit. I'm going to remind him to do that.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I just have a few things so far.

For the girls (my dd and sons' girlfriends) I have things like fleece leggings, slipper socks, lip balm, gourmet candy, ornaments, and make-up remover wipes.  

For my sons, so far I bought a travel pillow, gourmet candy/food, Christmas ornaments, ear buds, clothes, toiletries, and some kitchen supplies (I have two graduating from college in May).  

I'll probably get gift cards for them and need to think of more stuff for everyone.  Oh, maybe a jigsaw puzzle for everyone to do together.  Usually I get a new board game.  I may get some specialty teas for my tea drinkers.  

In past years, personalized ornaments have been a big hit.  I've gotten the girls scarves, special bookmarks that relate to their interests, foot lotion and soaps from bath and body works, shower poofs...

My 20 yr old dd wanted a mermaid tale blanket. I've gotten her a tshirt, some jewelry from a local artesan.  I too need to think of something else for her.  Most of what she put on her wish list she needs to pick out herself ("the perfect planner") or try on.

17 yr old dd wanted the Lego holiday train and a "super soft blanket." So that was easy. 

I usually get a gift certificate or 2: itunes, Sephora, Starbucks... that type thing. 

I'm a at a loss for oldest as well.  College and work are taking up so much of her time.  She isn't making jewelry like she used to so she has quite a few supples left.  She has so much reading for college that she does not want a book. 

Stocking stuffers are usually bars of her favorite (expensive) soaps, nail polish, candy, something from Bath and Body Works. 

DS (19) - a couple of T-shirts appropriate for his work at the gym, several books he wants, a lap robe

DD (17) - a set of expensive ($80) colored pencils because she's artist and wanted these #1, a lap robe, a mouse pad

I'll probably get a few more things too, but that's what I have on had already. I buy things for my 80 y.o. aunt to give, so I need to call her.