Menu

Are you a reader?

Night Elf

Were your parents? Are your children?

When I was young, both of my parents were voracious readers. I spent many hours in the library. I got my first library card in Kindergarten when the only requirement was being able to write your name. I don't think my sister was ever a big reader. As for my kids, none of them are. Both DH and I read a lot. We've always had a large library. The kids did read more when they were younger but now they don't read books. I don't remember my oldest dd ever reading, but my other two always had lots of books out from the library. I'm a little disappointed they don't read more. I offered to buy my youngest dd in college a Kindle so she could escape into a book. She sometimes has trouble sleeping and I find reading an excellent soporific when I'm already a little tired but cannot fall asleep. She said she would think about it. She only took one book to college. Her favorite is The Mysterious Benedict Society.

I read for hours every day. I now have the leisure to do that and it makes me happy. The Kindle was the best gift DH has ever gotten me. Even better than my diamond earrings!

• Like 7

I am. I read daily (for pleasure -- both fiction and non-fiction) and have when I worked full time, when I was a stay at home mom to small children, when I worked part time, and now when I'm homeschooling. I NEED to read to keep my mind even.

My parents are NOT. I did not grow up in a house full of books, and I didn't grow up getting read to, in fact I do not remember my parents EVER reading to any of us (and my youngest brother is a decade younger than I, so I do remember his early childhood quite clearly). I can remember my mom reading ONE book for pleasure, ever. My dad likes magazines.

My kids are readers -- my oldest is the only kid in his circle of college friends who has a public library card. When he started his business he made liberal use of the library and his friends were pretty impressed. :) My middle son goes through reading phases, he's not always reading for pleasure beyond what he's assigned but he does frequently and is willing to try things. My youngest inhales books... he is constantly reading and he reads quickly with deep understanding.

• Like 2

I read constantly.  I am rarely without my iPad.

i almost never read paper books anymore.  A couple of years ago, I noticed that the print had all shrunk in my books.  Reading glasses give me a headache, so I read everything on the iPad with the font enlarged.

I consistently have 5-10 books out from the e-Library that I am reading at any time, plus re-reading my old favorites that I have purchased.

• Like 2

I never saw my dad read anything but the newspaper. My mom subscribed to Reader's Digest Condensed books and read them as well as other popular novels.

I HATED reading as a kid. It seemed a waste of time to sit and read instead of being outside DOING something. I also didn't watch much TV for the same reason but liked movies. Seriously, I recall reading 2 books in high school--1984 and Hitchhikers Guide. All required reading was replaced with Cliff Notes. Anyways, I didn't start reading until college starting with the 'slut novels' my roommate would read select, juicy passages aloud. Then the philosophy classes sparked an interest. And a sociology major for bachelor's and master's required me to read more.  Now, I read an average of 50 novels a year - mostly popular fiction and young adult but also count the classics I have now read with my kids that I avoided in my youth. I am a slow reader which annoys me otherwise it would be more. 

My husband doesn't read fiction. I wrote a novel-length, fan-fiction book 8 years ago. He still hasn't read it. He does read historical and computer tech books, though. 

My kids don't enjoy reading themselves, but love when I read aloud (over 100 titles last year).  A book is the LAST thing they will pick up, well for my oldest anyways. My youngest will do so in a blue moon. 

My mother was.  We always had regular library visits, even when traveling.  I don't remember being read to, but I remember always reading.

My kids aren't quite as voracious, but I'd still call the oldest 3 readers.  The younger two are getting there, but with the same reluctance their siblings used to have.

My mom is. All my grandparents are/were. My dad is not a big reader. Me and DH are, although I think we both have a difficult time finding the time for it.

I'm still teaching one kid to read, so she's not able to read on her own yet. My boys are not huge readers, but I feel like they will get there eventually.

I am, my mom and dad were too. My brother was taught poorly and struggled to read, and even with remediation he developed a dislike for it and was slow. But I read every day - twaddle and nonfiction and everything in between.

My oldest is an extreme bookworm, to the level of smuggling books outside so she can read instead of play. Her younger sister also reads but not to quite the same degree, however she enjoys a good book. The third child can't read yet but he loves looking at pictures so I'm hopeful he will enjoy the books even more when he can read them himself.

Hubby has always loved reading too, and we are both autodidacts who use books to teach ourselves any number of things. I hope our kids get the same skillset.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I am a huge reader...the type that reads the cereal box at breakfast just to have something to read.

My mother was not a big reader. I think she had vision issues that vision therapy could have helped as she could read but it gave her headaches.

My grandma was my reading inspiration. She always had a few books she was reading along with her Bible. She took us to the library frequently when we stayed with her as it was about 20 miles from our house to the nearest public library.

My kids can read but are All cognitively impaired so they don't read a great deal for pleasure but do some.

I find though that now, I read for escape, pleasure, etc. I read almost all light reading as life is just heavy at times and I don't want to think too hard when I read.

• Like 1

My parents are readers, though when my dad was working he mostly read magazines and newspapers rather than books. He would take a book with him on vacation, though. Mostly nonfiction but some historical fiction (he was a big fan of James Michener's novels). After he retired, he started reading books regularly.

DH and I are readers, though since I went back to school last year I've been mostly doing assigned reading or things related to my field (right now I'm reading Teaching Communication Skills to Students with Severe Disabilities, which is not assigned but was recommended by one of my professors).

My two oldest are voracious readers. DS just started Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf. He saw it on the shelf (it had been one of oldest DD's assignments) and I guess thought it looked interesting. Oldest DD is reading some zombie series.

My youngest isn't yet a fluent reader but she loves to look at books and likes being read aloud to.

Edited by Crimson Wife

I am a reader.  I was an only child without many neighborhood children for many years, and I think I filled that void with reading.  Regardless, the habit has stayed with me.  My dad was a voracious reader.  My mom read some but not like my dad.  My younger sister is a voracious reader, too.  Dh reads in the evening, usually during fall and winter.  Summer and spring he would rather be outside working.

My oldest doesn't read much.  Second and third oldest are always reading - when they have time (college, jobs, etc.) One of the twins always has her nose in a book; the other has been working on the same book all summer.

I read every day.  I read while cooking, eating, when I should be doing other things.  I even take my book to the bathroom.  I have to discipline myself, and it's hard.

Yes I am and always have been. I read for pleasure. I read to learn. I read to keep my brain active.

I'm the type who will read the back of the cereal box if I have nothing to read, although I rarely have "nothing to read". I was the kid who read under the covers with a flashlight until she got caught and told to go to sleep. I was the kid who read on the school bus on the way to and from school. I was the kid who didn't answer when her mother told her to set the table, not because I was ignoring her but because I was so into my book that I didn't hear her.

I haven't always read the good stuff. I still alternate between literary, classsics, and fluff/twaddle. I read both fiction and non-fiction.  But I always read and can't remember a time of not reading, once I learned how.

My mother was a reader of mostly popular fiction. I remember sneaking her books from her bedside when she was at work, then carefully putting them back after writing myself a note telling what page I last read. I read books I didn't fully understand but that's what was in the house - Rosemary's Baby, Peyton Place, Airport, The Godfather, and Valley of the Dolls. I was in high school at the time.  :eek:

Ds was a reader but slowed down then stopped a few years ago. I'm hoping it's just a life phase he's in and that he'll get back to reading someday.

Dh read sporadically and mostly technical stuff until he got a Kindle. Now he reads much more often and reads more fiction, though still not as much as I do.

I read constantly.  I am rarely without my iPad.

i almost never read paper books anymore.  A couple of years ago, I noticed that the print had all shrunk in my books.  Reading glasses give me a headache, so I read everything on the iPad with the font enlarged.

I consistently have 5-10 books out from the e-Library that I am reading at any time, plus re-reading my old favorites that I have purchased.

Yes, this is me with my e-ink Kindle. I almost always have my Kindle with me, but have the Kindle app on my phone for when I find myself stuck with no Kindle and time to kill. When I'm wearing my contacts I need to make the font bigger as well as the screen brighter. I can't do that with a print book (aka dead tree book). I always have several books going at once, most borrowed from the library, which is actually no different from how I operated when I read print books.  Also, on those rare occasions when I do read a print book I have been known to press on a word expecting a definition to pop up.  :lol:

• Like 1

Yep, I read every day.

My parents have never read a book voluntarily afaik.

I partly grew up with my grandparents...

My one grandma read tabloids...like the worst of the worst...and I devoured them.

My other grandparents only read the Bible, but boy howdy they read it ALOT.

Yes, I read a few hours daily, but I'm a finicky reader and can't read "on the go" like many can!  My mom is a big reader, but not my dad.  My sister, but not my brothers. Dh also reads a lot and so did his mom AND dad.  

Our kids are a mix.  Most of them ENJOY reading, but not all do it every day.  Half of them do.  lol  (Oldest and youngest dd, and middle ds read regularly.  Oldest ds reads occasionally when a book sucks him in. My middle dd could read only manga and graphic novels for the rest of her life and be quite happy.  She is our most math-savvy child, btw.)

My family is mixed.  My mom liked reading, though as a working mom with 6 kids she didn't do much of it when I was a kid.  My dad was severely dyslexic, so no for him.

I enjoy reading.  I don't get much time for it at this stage of my life, but I try to make time.  I would say at least half of my siblings are "readers."  As a kid, going to the library was one of the fun things I did on my own or with siblings / friends.  I was not a "voracious" reader, but I enjoyed books and have nice memories of curling up with them.

My kids - 1 is a voracious reader.  The other only rarely picks up a book to read for fun.  Maybe she would read more "for pleasure" if she wasn't required to read so much for school, but I don't know.

Are you a reader?

Yes. I'm a voracious reader.

Were your parents?

My parents both read.  They both read primarily in English which was their second language.  They would have read more, but both read as much as time permitted.  My father loved Upton Sinclair's Lanny Budd series as well as Churchill's second world war series amongst others.  He read a lot of world war two non-fiction books.  I remember my mother reading the Jeeves books by Wodehouse as well as Guareschi's Don Camillo books.  We all read one of Sydney Sheldon's books back in the seventies.

Are your children?

My adult daughter is also a voracious reader.  She reads a lot of fantasy as well as fan fiction.

I don't think my sister was ever a big reader. 

My sister did not read as much as I did as a child, but she reads as much as she can nowadays.  Her life is far busier than mine.

I honestly cannot recall a day in the last ten years in which I did not read something for pleasure. 

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, I am a reader.  As is my mohter.  My ds used to be a reader.  Now he reads for pleasure occasionaly.  My dd was never as a big a reader.  She will also occasionaly read for pleasure.  I lost them both to screens when they were in their early teens.  I keep modeling reading and hoping that they return to it one day.

Were your parents? Are your children?

When I was young, both of my parents were voracious readers. I spent many hours in the library. I got my first library card in Kindergarten when the only requirement was being able to write your name. I don't think my sister was ever a big reader. As for my kids, none of them are. Both DH and I read a lot. We've always had a large library. The kids did read more when they were younger but now they don't read books. I don't remember my oldest dd ever reading, but my other two always had lots of books out from the library. I'm a little disappointed they don't read more. I offered to buy my youngest dd in college a Kindle so she could escape into a book. She sometimes has trouble sleeping and I find reading an excellent soporific when I'm already a little tired but cannot fall asleep. She said she would think about it. She only took one book to college. Her favorite is The Mysterious Benedict Society.

I read for hours every day. I now have the leisure to do that and it makes me happy. The Kindle was the best gift DH has ever gotten me. Even better than my diamond earrings!

I'm a reader but, in my current season, I cannot read like I normally do - too much "stuff" all the time to do.

When I was younger, I was that kid who always had a book under the text in class. ;)  Even as an adult I read and read and read.  Now I read less fiction and more non-fiction.  

My parents never read - as in truly never.  Occasionally Dad read a conservation magazine or the Reader's Digest and my mother might get a fashion magazine once in a great while, but I have not ONCE in my whole life seen them pick up a book.

My grandmother was a voracious reader.  She was the most avid reader I'd ever met in my life and was until she got dementia.  Most of their girls are readers.  She always suggested books, authors, topics, etc.

Books are my drug of choice, and I'm an addict. I'd need some kind of detox program to ever quit. I read even more as a kid...I'd read before class, during class, during lunch, while riding my bike home, under the covers in bed, etc. I think it would be easier to lose my sight or hearing than to give up reading. 

My father is a reader, more now than when we were kids because he didn't have the time or access. But he read the newspaper cover to cover every day in front of me, and now he drives my mom nuts by reading a few hours every evening, when she wants him to talk to her. Of course, she thinks I enable him, because for every holiday I give him books, and one year for christmas we splurged and got him a kindle :)

Hey, us readers have to stick together!

• Like 4

My mom and sister are ultra readers. I would love to be able to focus and read as long as they do. Growing up, books were very important. We had huge bookcases, and we took trips to the thrift store or library sales to fill them up. Meal times were often long quiet ordeals with most of us holding a book in one hand, and a fork in the other. Now I read in spurts. Sometimes I read 2-3 books a week and sometimes 1-2 a month.

We constantly listen to audiobooks with my kids, and I read every school day + many of the summer days. I take my children to the library every week, but they read non-fiction, comics, and graphic novels almost exclusively. My husband reads about 5-6 biographies a year. So we do surround ourselves with books, but it isn't the Sonlight catalog cover with the children begging to read historical fiction for hours a day.

Edited by Outdoorsy Type

My dad was a big reader, and so am I.

My mom pretty much stuck to magazines and Reader's Digest Condensed Books. Remember those?

Mine always have recreational books going at some level. Their schoolwork and activities are pretty intense though, so it varies.

Yes, yes and yes.  Reading is as necessary as breathing for me.  

My dad only reads non fiction and my mom only read fiction and once I learned at 6 to read and have always had a book in hand in some way shape or form since then. My father in law loves classics which gives us something to talk about when otherwise we'd have nothing to say to each other.   

I love both the convenience of an e-books (always available on my iphone) and physical books.  I've always read fiction for pleasure but finding some non fiction fits the bill as well.   I'm one of those who will also read the back of a cereal box for something to read.  My siblings are all readers which makes me happy since I like to gift books for all occasion. They have all passed on their love of reading to their kids.  My hubby enjoys reading (non fiction), my son loves reading both non fiction and fiction.   We read aloud quite a bit as well. We rarely watch tv these days in favor of curling up on the couch together and reading. As you can imagine, every room in the house has overflowing bookcases. I really need a bigger house. :laugh: 

• Like 2

My dad enjoyed reading non-fiction or books about finances. He didn't read often, but I knew he enjoyed it. My mom also enjoyed reading, she probably read 2-3 books a month. I love reading. I normally read 8-15 books a month. I think I started enjoying reading around 12 years old and I would read as many books as I was allowed to get. There were never enough for me ;-) my husband also enjoys reading, although he doesn't have a ton of time. My older brother enjoys reading, but doesn't have a lot of time. My younger brother and sister are not big readers. My husband has 9 siblings. 3 like the idea of reading, but don't take much time to do it. The others aren't big readers. My son (10) is a voracious reader. My younger 2 can't read yet, but they pretend to read all day long. They love books. I think I take more pride in my kid's love of reading than anything else they've done.

I'm a reader, as are both my parents and my daughters. My husband is not a reader. Neither of my brothers are readers. In our family, it is almost that the "girls" are readers, the "boys" aren't -- except my dad is the biggest and most "serious" reader in the whole family.

I love reading, but I didn't really enjoy it much until I was in middle school.  DD is a reader, but my boys aren't as much.  My middle has dyslexia which makes it hard for him, but he has been doing better in the last couple years.  Youngest has discovered audiobooks and loves them.  DH enjoys reading but rarely has time.

My mom and her mom were both big readers.  They would share books all the time.  Both of my siblings are also readers.  My dad never read much while I was growing up.  I think he was just too busy, but since he as retired he has been reading a lot.

I am, my mother is, my kids are getting there. 

We didn't have a tv most of the time I was growing up (and this was the late 70's/early 80's so just about everyone did).  So, we did a lot of reading.  I read constantly, always have a book on hand.  I easily read over 100 books a year (I'm actually doing a challenge this year trying to expand my usual selections but also keeping track of the fluff I read - I've read 88 books so far this year.)

This actually describes me pretty well:

<<quote>>Books are my drug of choice, and I'm an addict. I'd need some kind of detox program to ever quit. I read even more as a kid...I'd read before class, during class, during lunch, while riding my bike home, under the covers in bed, etc. I think it would be easier to lose my sight or hearing than to give up reading. <<quote>>

My oldest wasn't a big reader until she was around middle school age.  She was always capable of doing assigned reading for school and she really liked The Outsiders when she read it, but it was (ugh) Twilight that really got her into reading for fun.  She is now a big reader.

My younger kids read every day - sometimes on their own, sometimes assigned for school.  My son just in the past 6 months or so actually hit the point where he would give up computer time or playing a game to read - when he was reading Gregor the Overlander series, the Mysterious Benedict Society series, and the Harry Potter series.   He won't for just anything though, it has to be a book that really hits him.   

My youngest has been rereading some Fairy and Thea Stilton books over and over and over and over again.  She really likes them and will choose to read them instead of doing other things.  She also really liked the Fudge series from Judy Blume.  Nothing that had the big impact on her like her brother had, but I can see that day coming.

For my kids, the point of being a "reader" seemed to come about due to reading something that made a big impact and they realized how good books could be.  I read so much growing up, I can't remember any one book or series that had a huge impact on my desire to read.  I just read - always.  Once we were old enough (we were latchkey kids), my mother knew to call the library if we weren't home when she got home from work.  We were there almost daily.

My brother is also a big reader but of non-fiction and gaming (D&D) books mostly, with a little sci fi/fantasy thrown in.

Both my parents were readers, my dad still is. He keeps small used bookstores in business in his hunt for western novels.

I read a lot growing up and still love to read now. It's my escape. My oldest read early and has loved books ever since. It's fun to share books with her now that she's college-age. We love to go to the local used bookstore and just get lost. It's called a "Book Mine" for good reason!

DH reads for information and cannot stand fiction. Poor guy. Our sons are not voracious readers (slow processors, and reading is NOT as much fun if you can't do it quickly IMO), but they do read and are much more well-read than their dad was at their ages.

I don't do Kindles or e-books. There's just something about an actual book book in my hands . . .

When I was younger, I was that kid who always had a book under the text in class. ;)  Even as an adult I read and read and read.  Now I read less fiction and more non-fiction.  

I got sent to the hall for doing that.  Didn't matter that I had already read the text and answered the questions.  I remember getting reprimanded in 2nd grade.  The crime?  I read too fast.

Is it any wonder I homeschooled my girls?

• Like 1

I'm a reader. My parents were both readers, my sister is a sometimes reader.

Sadly, dh is not a reader. He just doesn't get it. He grew up in a religious household that discouraged reading novels (gasp! the horror!) and the only acceptable reading was non-fiction, diy, how-to manuals, or self-improvement books. :(

Some of my kids are readers, some aren't. My youngest is a Reader - she will read a book a day.

Edited by Mothersweets

My parents, not really. My dad read the bible a lot, my mom read gardening books. I've read around 3000 (probably more) books, mostly mass market paperbacks (I was young and would read 2-3 a day) better quality, less volume now.  DD reads a lot, fanfic or things like HP, Percy ect... she spends 2-4 hours per day on it. DS is dyslexic but like audio books, he's recently found a series he enjoys so that's costing a bunch.

ETA: DH has been a bit of a "reader" but he just doesn't have the time or inclination any more. He'd rather play video games or watch a show for his "down time".

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Yes!!! I am a huge reader. My parents kept a fairly large family library. My father always had piles of books on his nightstand he was working through. My mother carried books with her everywhere.

They taught me to read before kindergarten, and I read everything I could get my hands on as a kid, tackling big books at a young age, like Roots in 5th or 6th grade, for example.

I read all the Nancy Drews, Babysitter Club, Little House, but also some serious literature such as The Yearling, Poe, Girl of the Limberlost etc, of my own volition.

My kids are all readers so far. It pleases me that they enjoy reading as much as their father and I. But I do wish I could get them interested in more literary works beyond Harry Potter (don't get me wrong, I love Harry Potter) and Rick Riordan series and the million other Greek hero/fantasy series books out there.

I have to admit to hiding my disappointment that my oldest DD never has been able to get into the Anne of Green Gables books. Nor was she interested in The Dark is Rising. Or the All Creatures Great and Small books. Sigh. Where did she come from?!

Edited by Sara in AZ

I discovered early that as an only child reading could take me to fantastic places. Since I grew up in an area where winters were long, reading was a wonderful past time. Soon I read year round, preferably in the cherry tree during summer vacations...where nobody could find me because of the dense foliage.

After a surgery I woke up a little dazed and disoriented. I glanced at the table next to my bed and there were some nursing supplies (gauze?) I cannot remember what but I remember reading what the package said and thinking: "Thank God I can still read. I must be alive."

I need reading like I need food. I get crabby when I don't find much time for leisure reading.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ds read a lot during his homeschool years and seemed to enjoy it. Don't know if he still does now since he doesn't live with us. Dh reads more in the winter and prefers Tolkien and endless discourse on golf. My grandmother read a lot and she read to me when I was young. My mother probably did not have much time to read since she always worked full-time. I think she is reading more now that she is retired.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I am a reader. When I was a kid, I went through stacks of books every week...so much so that our librarian at our little local library would save new books for me that she thought I would like because I'd been through most of the others at the library after a certain age. I went in every two weeks to get piles more to read and spent most of my "down" time reading.

I don't have as much time now to read (sometimes I get off the computer and make the time) but I can go through a book on a long plane ride, road trip, or get caught up reading books in the evenings. 

My parents read newspapers and Reader's Digest. We had a lot of books in the home. My mom read a lot and my dad read to learn about things he wanted to learn about.

My oldest and youngest are readers. My middle ds is not. 

Yes, I purchased "Rocket Girls" the other day, and then promptly finished it in 24 hours.

This the norm for me. I am careful with my book purchasing so it is spread out enough that I get other things done.

When I was in 5th and 6th grade, my parents would go to the city one Saturday per month, and one of our stops was the bookstore. I would buy a Nancy Drew book, and begin consuming it like a dehydrated victim of the Sahara when presented with water! The stop was usually next to the last, so I would sit in the car for the 30 minutes of shopping that they would do without me, and by the time we got home, 45 minutes after that, I'd be close to 2/3 through the book. My brother was the same way. Long road trips were easy for my folks, as long as there were books, we were golden since we weren't prone to car sickness.

My dh is not a reader, but he does enjoy audio books and has a lot of them. As a matter of fact, just throwing this out here, while a fan of  "The Martian", I forbid it to be on the next road trip. Seriously. Dh is obsessed with that book. I've heard it now on two trips to Albany, and recently on the way back from Huntsville. Sorry dh.  You.must.pick.something.new. No, I will not listen to Jurassic Park again, or Next, or Micro, or.....

I can't not read. I have to remove anything printed from the table so I can focus. Darn those stories on the Chipotle bags! My parents were occasional readers. My sister and I are always reading something. I don't think my brothers ever read fiction. My daughter is a voracious reader and has been since she was tiny. She still buys the occasional book at the bookstore, but always has something on her kindle and from the library. She's an English major. DS(16) acts like it's child abuse when I make him read. He has an amazing memory for what he hears, so if I can get a book on tape for him I always choose that.

• Like 1

My mom pretty much stuck to magazines and Reader's Digest Condensed Books. Remember those?

I remember those. Both my mom and my grandparents also read Reader's Digest, the magazine. When I got hold of one I'd go straight to the humor sections (they had several different types). Then I'd read those "I shouldn't be alive" type stories most issues had.

I was clocked at reading some ridiculous speed during junior high.

In community college I took a speed reading course for no other reason than I needed an elective and my two good friends were taking it. I struggled to earn a B. The grade was based on improvement, and since I already read quite fast I didn't have much room for improvement.

Years later, not long after dh and I started dating I learned that BIL (who wasn't my BIL yet) took that same class and had that same problem.

Constantly. I read on my phone, on my Kindle, any real books I have laying around (thousands). I read when I have 2 minutes waiting for the kids or when I'm standing in line at the store; in the bathtub or lying in bed. All. The. Time. I am also an incredibly fast reader. DD is becoming like me, DS13 isn't that into reading but will get involved in a very good book, DS16 has special needs and struggles to read even very simple books.

Edited by ebrindam

Always been a reader. Mom and Gma too. In fact once I got my DL, one of my weekly "chores" (not really a chore for me LOL) was to take Gma to her weekly library visit. 

My dad was also, though usually technical books (we were/are hams). 

Mom use to have to hide my new books so I would clean my room. I also did the book in my lap or in the textbook while in class.

Most presents were books.

DD so far is like me  ;). We'll see about the rest.

Yes. I got in trouble when I was young for reading too much. I would hide from my mother and read up in the top of a tree. I would read my whole literature book from school in the first week.

My mother was an occasional reader of romances. My father was a reader of non-fiction for the most part. They both read newspapers and magazines.

My Dh reads, but a lot less than I do. He introduced me to classic science fiction. My kids all read. My older children married readers.

• Like 1

I am at times. I go in spurts but I have always loved to read. Too many books, not enough time.

My parents both read but my Mom far less than my Dad. When she read, she read the entire book in one night. My Dad still reads every day. He always loved sci fi and history. He reads slowly but remembers everything he reads. I wish I was like that.

Dh has not read one book since we were married. He does read online every day, though. (News, sports, etc.)

Ds lives a good book but reading is last thing he wants to do. He prefers the Xbox...or pretty much anything else. Dd is just learning to read. I have no idea what she will be like.

I can go through spurts, but I really don't read a lot in the summer. My parents farm & never really read a lot when I was growing up. They were just always so busy doung other things. My dh doesn't read much, his family did though & he used to when he was older. My oldest goes through spurts now, but used to read all of the time. Middle son goes through spurts as well, 15 year old doesn't care to read as much.