Menu

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ewe Mama

I have heard it just downloads automatically, she may not have clicked anything or done anything at all.  My friends keep telling me it is happening to them, automatically.

I have a Mac. Puffy heart Mac.

• Like 11

I have heard it just downloads automatically, she may not have clicked anything or done anything at all. My friends keep telling me it is happening to them, automatically.

I have a Mac. Puffy heart Mac.

She has it set to not download without permission, but her spouse told the unsuspecting children to click yes while she was conversing. The spouse never touches her computer, so he doesn't understand the nature of the Very. bad. Thing. he inadvertently gave permission for the computer to do.

• Like 15

(I have not found Windows 10 to be that bad.  I'm not sure why folks hate it so.)

I'm still running XP on my computer, because my favorite, most-often-used software, PageMaker 7.5, might not run on Windows 10. I *need* PageMaker; Microsoft Publisher does not do what PM does, and I don't want to pay the price for InDesign or work through the learning curve. Because old.

• Like 6

Ellie, XP was her favorite, but 7 is acceptable. Vista was horrific and she is not willing to sacrifice any more of her sanity on the glitchy computer upgrading to 10. She might be arrested for disturbing the peace by throwing it out the window (which would be appropos, considering) or even resorting to a sledge hammer.

• Like 5

She is most appreciative of the earlier thread on this board that warned her of the evil lurking under the guise of a simple Windows upgrade. She had not known of the danger to her unsuspecting PC until she was enlightened by her online community, (mainly) united in their mutual disregard for this darkness forcing itself upon their innocent lives and unfortunate software.

• Like 13

You win the Internet today, Mama. That was hilarious!

My office computer auto DL'd W10 on the day I had to meet with the payroll auditor! I was like, "If this #%@$! system does not let me find my payroll records as easily as ever, I will stab something!"

Fortunately, I have suffered no problems. The only thing I hate is that Know-It-All, Cortana, synthetic Siri that she is, sitting ther in the corner, asking me to ask her anything. Okay, Cortana, how about this: who are you and why did you come uninvited?

• Like 12

You win the Internet today, Mama. That was hilarious!

My office computer auto DL'd W10 on the day I had to meet with the payroll auditor! I was like, "If this #%@$! system does not let me find my payroll records as easily as ever, I will stab something!"

Fortunately, I have suffered no problems. The only thing I hate is that Know-It-All, Cortana, synthetic Siri that she is, sitting ther in the corner, asking me to ask her anything. Okay, Cortana, how about this: who are you and why did you come uninvited?

You can turn her off.

• Like 4

EweMama, I love you, thanks for entertaining me this morning!

I also had my computer set to not download. And then I bought a new laptop, so I'm stuck with it. I live in denial of Windows 10 and am somewhat mollified by my geektech son who kind of likes it. It's no worse, imo, than the updates in Google and many others that make no sense to me.

• Like 1

Way too funny!!! Thanks for starting my day with a chuckle. Great story telling skills 😂. Glad you were able to stop it, and Windows 7 is still alive and running.

Hope dad's recovery is going well!

Edited by mamiof5
  • Like 2

Sadly, I was forced into it because my computer crashed. Then our user key ID number thing to re-download windows, to reinstall the version we had, windows said was a Dell key. Then Dell said it was out of warranty, so they couldn't re-issue. So then, sadly, the only work around was to take advantage of the free upgrade offered by Windows, and install the depressing Windows 10.

I immediately turned off Cortana, because, no. Then my boys showed me how to make it look like whatever version of Windows I was running before. Then I found a free download of my beloved Windows Live Photo Gallery, because relearning photo importing and organizing and editing every time my computer updates is just.not.fun. and I refused to even try to figure out the new stupid app that was available.

Once I had those changes made, I no longer really notice the difference. And the few times I do notice something and freak out, my kids find a way to make it look and act like I am used to, and all is well again.

• Like 1

She has it set to not download without permission, but her spouse told the unsuspecting children to click yes while she was conversing. The spouse never touches her computer, so he doesn't understand the nature of the Very. bad. Thing. he inadvertently gave permission for the computer to do.

Unsuspecting spouse owes her a dinner out. Or a massage. Or something chocolate.

• Like 7

I hate windows 10!

I'm just curious as to why?

I resisted upgrading, since I tend to get set in my ways. However, some of the computers at work were upgraded a couple of months ago, and I've been using those -- even going back and forth between 8 and 10 -- without any trouble. My husband, who makes a living working in the IT department of a rather huge corporation, upgraded both at work and at home several weeks ago without any issues.

It was time to back up my computer and do a full security sweep, anyway. So, we went ahead and upgraded to Windows 10 at the same time. It's been a little over a week, and I find things are running smoothly and I've already adapted.

What is it about Windows 10 that folks hate so much?

• Like 1

Sadly, I was forced into it because my computer crashed. Then our user key ID number thing to re-download windows, to reinstall the version we had, windows said was a Dell key. Then Dell said it was out of warranty, so they couldn't re-issue. So then, sadly, the only work around was to take advantage of the free upgrade offered by Windows, and install the depressing Windows 10.

I immediately turned off Cortana, because, no. Then my boys showed me how to make it look like whatever version of Windows I was running before. Then I found a free download of my beloved Windows Live Photo Gallery, because relearning photo importing and organizing and editing every time my computer updates is just.not.fun. and I refused to even try to figure out the new stupid app that was available.

Once I had those changes made, I no longer really notice the difference. And the few times I do notice something and freak out, my kids find a way to make it look and act like I am used to, and all is well again.

I am curious how you turned off Cortana. From everything I have read there is really no way to absolutely get rid of Cortana as it is integrated in Windows 10. You have locating services, voice activation, info gathering and all that. Friend of mine was telling me what a headache it was to deactivate the voice activation and location services and it is all located in different on the computer and some of the components could be in three different places just to turn off voice activation. Last time Windows 10 uploaded by itself I was able to revert right back to Windows 8 within 10 minutes.

She worked up her courage and plugged everything back in.

Hallelujah! Windows 7 is still alive and well!

Google software that will block Windows 10 from being installed. It's called something like "Never10." It downloads easily and seems to work.

• Like 3

I have been avoiding Windows 10 b/c I have read so much negative feedback about the way 10 interfaces with Quickbooks, which would be a huge problem for me.

HOWEVER, I asked the Hive, and several Quickbooks users here said they have NOT had any problems, so I am much less fearful than I was.  I am still waiting for a good time to make the change since if there is a computer problem to be had, I tend to have it!!   :cursing:

Anne

• Like 1

I am one that actually loves window10......but only on a newer, fast computer.

I have seen horror stories of people trying to run 10 on older systems.  Not a good thing, IME.

I have a brand new touch-screen 2-in-1 laptop, so the features of 10 make sense.  some things I like, some things . . . .

I'm willing to hang the dev's in charge of their photo software. they didn't include anything for resizing photos to be able to mail them/post online etc.  you should see the instructions of who to do so. no fixes in the MS store.  I've downloaded some 3rd party software, that still has it's issues.../ /

dd is a MS nerd. she loaths many of the devs she has worked with for being so (digitally) sloppy.

I am one that actually loves window10......but only on a newer, fast computer.

I have seen horror stories of people trying to run 10 on older systems.  Not a good thing, IME.

My son really likes it too. Now my mom's another story. Some tech guy offered to upgrade her laptop (older, without a lot of memory). Definitely not an upgrade.

OP     I suggest that you disconnect that box from your Home LAN.  Then, I suggest that you connect your External USB HDD to that box and that you make a "System Image" backup of the HDD.   If you do not have an External USB HDD, buy one. The 2 GB    Western Digital I bought one year ago was $70, including shipping within the USA.  Then, cross your fingers and pray and turn it back on again and hopefully the Upgrade will not have completed. If the Upgrade to Windows 10 did complete, supposedly, one can revert to the previous version of Windows, within 30 days.  GL

I actually really like Windows 10 too.  But I had Windows 8 on my laptop before this and that was an absolute train wreck.  It's definitely been a positive upgrade for me and we've upgraded 5 machines in our house to it.  Only one had issues that I had to dig around online to fix, but was able to fix it pretty easily.  I had to download a driver.

I am curious how you turned off Cortana. From everything I have read there is really no way to absolutely get rid of Cortana as it is integrated in Windows 10. You have locating services, voice activation, info gathering and all that. Friend of mine was telling me what a headache it was to deactivate the voice activation and location services and it is all located in different on the computer and some of the components could be in three different places just to turn off voice activation. Last time Windows 10 uploaded by itself I was able to revert right back to Windows 8 within 10 minutes.

Go to the Search box at the bottom left of the window and open Settings. You should see an option to toggle Cortana off/on.

Yes, this. If there is more to it than this, I don't know.

I'm just curious as to why?

I resisted upgrading, since I tend to get set in my ways. However, some of the computers at work were upgraded a couple of months ago, and I've been using those -- even going back and forth between 8 and 10 -- without any trouble. My husband, who makes a living working in the IT department of a rather huge corporation, upgraded both at work and at home several weeks ago without any issues.

It was time to back up my computer and do a full security sweep, anyway. So, we went ahead and upgraded to Windows 10 at the same time. It's been a little over a week, and I find things are running smoothly and I've already adapted.

What is it about Windows 10 that folks hate so much?

Yeah, I'm not techy at all, and I use Macs at home, but I haven't had any problems with my office computer since the auto-update.

I have been avoiding Windows 10 b/c I have read so much negative feedback about the way 10 interfaces with Quickbooks, which would be a huge problem for me.

HOWEVER, I asked the Hive, and several Quickbooks users here said they have NOT had any problems, so I am much less fearful than I was. I am still waiting for a good time to make the change since if there is a computer problem to be had, I tend to have it!! :cursing:

Anne

Yes, and I am one of them. I have QB Pro...I think it was updated in 2012? Maybe more recently. But no problems with the interface of QB and W10. Good thing, because I have no clue how to fix such things.

• Like 1

Tell me how to make it look like the old way. Telllllll meeeeeeeee!!!!

And live photo gallery? It's like you're my twin.

• Like 1

You are awesome!  (I have not found Windows 10 to be that bad.  I'm not sure why folks hate it so.)

It depends on the computer.

Agreed on all counts. I've played around with dh's laptop and ds' tablet, both newer devices built to run Windows 10. I like it just fine. I think the biggest issue is with older computers running Windows 7 or earlier (and manufacturers like Dell being unwilling to support them). That's where the real nightmares are.

Unsuspecting spouse owes her a dinner out. Or a massage. Or something chocolate.

Or all three.
  • Like 2

Tell me how to make it look like the old way. Telllllll meeeeeeeee!!!!

And live photo gallery? It's like you're my twin.

ikslo, sadly, my kids say I lied and it doesn't look the old way after all. :shrug: :confused: Apparently, what I thought they did (make me not have the dreaded "apps" screen) was really a Windows 8 thing, not a Windows 10 thing, and the app screen thing isn't a thing anymore already, not something my kids made go away. (see how very clueless I am?! LOL!) (my kids are mock-horrified-screaming at me that I'm making them sound like they have skills they don't have.....). 

So....it looks like a normal home page/home screen to me, but as I say that, my oldest son is pointing out how all the icons are much more square than normal, and the menus don't have the little outlines around them, and blah blah blah, things I don't actually notice....so if that is what you are wanting (what you thought I said)  (which is what my son thinks I said, so totally my fault), my son says no, there's no way to make all of that go back the way it should be, and insists that I apologize for misleading you. I really am sorry for that; I was confused. 

For live photo gallery, I went directly to the Microsoft website, searched "Windows Live Photo Gallery for Windows 10" and found something-or-other called.....I don't remember what, but it was a few various things I had to download as a package (free download), of which Live Photo Gallery was one of the things. I was very proud of myself figuring that out on my own, but of course can't explain it beyond that. But, I followed the instructions, downloaded it, installed it, and then made my kids set it to my task bar at the bottom because I could never find it. All that to say, you should be able to pretty easily find Live Photo Gallery if you want it; if I could do it, clueless as I am, then I'm confident pretty much anyone can. 

They also put my documents folder there and my browser (I don't use the windows 10 one), and set their/our own background pictures for the wallpaper on the desktop, all of which *for me* helps with the look. But doesn't get rid of the whole "click this screen to get to your actual desktop" junk. But once I'm in there, it's fine. 

I pretty much do not use the various menus, pull down, pop up listings, crazy ridiculous ways that they want me to try to find the programs I need -- I just make my kids pin those places where I can find them so I don't have to interact with Windows 10 much. (I feel so ridiculously OLD complaining about this...like a crotchety old man, ranting about cell phones being lunatic technology or something....). 

Anyway.....hope this helps, or assures  you that you aren't crazy or clueless, or something. Sorry if I misspoke about the appearance issue. 

• Like 2

I have heard it just downloads automatically, she may not have clicked anything or done anything at all. My friends keep telling me it is happening to them, automatically.

It does download automatically. I think it was something counter intuitive like if you press the X to shut down the dialogue box it takes it as "YES" and downloads. It happened to me. But it was also really easy to uninstall. I can't remember what I did, but there was some sort of option on the screen to do that, instead of proceeding with installation.

• Like 1

It does download automatically. I think it was something counter intuitive like if you press the X to shut down the dialogue box it takes it as "YES" and downloads. It happened to me. But it was also really easy to uninstall. I can't remember what I did, but there was some sort of option on the screen to do that, instead of proceeding with installation.

Something like that or if you say not now it takes that to mean in an hour.

I have one on 10 and one on 7 (and a couple of XP's in the garage. I prefer 7 but 10 is OK. I tried to upgrade the one on 7 but then it refused to shut down and wouldn't run the typing programme so I did a factory reset.

I have Windows 10 on my gaming tower, but only because my friend who built it had already tested it out and it worked fine.  Both my kids had to roll it back on their laptops, too many driver issues.  New tower at work took a week with IT to fix all the issues I had when they upgraded it and now it's fine except if I use my wireless (MICROSOFT!) keyboard and mouse it goes into an infinite boot loop.