Menu

Does your DH homeschool as well?

Dear all, does your DH homeschool as well? DH wanted to help my out with homeschooling because I am pregnant and it's very difficult to teach (dizyness and pain) most of the time. But I find it very difficult to let things go :-) .

Mine doesn't....not with the academic content areas, anyways.  He had some significant struggles in school himself, and asking him to take over academic content lessons would be unhelpful.  

What he DOES do, is he helps with other areas.  He cooks if my day has gone long...he cleans the dishes.  He does teach the kids in certain areas that he's good with...such as electronics, mechanics, etc.  

Both of us have an equally important role in the well-rounded education of our kiddos.  :-)

• Like 2

Mine does not, which is totally fine with me because he puts in long hours growing his business while working another job at the same time. OTOH, you are in a completely different scenario. If DH didn't work as much and *wanted* to help teach, that would be fun and welcomed.

Edited by Guest

Mine provides the day to day supervision, runs the kids to appointments, etc.; I write the lesson plans and do most of the actual teaching that goes on, on the weekends or through Google Hangouts--I am at work out of town during the week.

Mine does not. He travels a lot for work, so he's not really here that much... he does occasionally pipe up if he is here (We were working on a personal finance lesson about budgeting in one room last week and he overheard it and called DS in to show him some specifics of our family budget... or sometimes he'll find a video or something that the thinks would be a good addition to our curriculum).

Mine does not, but he could if he wanted to. He loves teaching and he could do it just as well as I could. If he had time. Does your DH have time?

My DH's job is very draining and he comes home exhausted in the evenings. When would your DH school?

Mine does a lot of off-the-cuff teaching over the dinner table, covers her activities one evening a week and many weekends, takes on a few technical projects such as disassembling a computer with DD, and does some unschooled programming stuff. He would like to be more involved, but he currently works full time and is in a Master's program 2/3 time. After he is finished with his own schooling, he will likely be the primary teacher for foreign languages, as he learns them with ease and I most certainly do not.

Not usually. 

I have had him to sub for a day here and there, following a detailed, written plan. Not generally very successful. It is hard for him to jump into our regular routine and Ds takes advantage of Dh like most kids do with a sub. 

He does help them with piano and all things musical and occasionally with math. 

Mine does not. He works full time and is out of town at least one day every week. When he's home I prefer he do fun stuff with the kids or catch up around the house.

I could have everything prepared so he could fill in if necessary. We have done that a handful of times so I could go to an appointment or something.

If you can make it work for your family, go for it. My minister teaches his children math at 6:00 every morning before he heads to work. It works well for their family, they have been doing math that way for years.

Absolutely.  I put post it notes on the front cover of the books and stack them up or just hand him a book (The Odyssey, etc.) to read to him.  He can teach my ds while I give the girls a bath or while I clean.

It doesn't happen too often, but it helps.  :) 

DH works varying shift work, which really throws off my sense of order and routine. BUT he definitely makes up for some of it by his willingness to jump in and do whatever is needed. He especially enjoys doing math with the kids. He does dishes and laundry and cooking at times. Truth be told he does all the mending because he has a steady hand and skill at hand seeing. But, nothing is regular and reliable - it's just when he is available.

Three or four years ago he did AAS with DS 4 times a week - sometimes that was during the day, but it was often the evening or occasionally early morning. DS needed that special time with dad.

I think it's hard to expect DH to do my job (I consider HSing a full time job) when he has his own job to do. The household jobs usually end up being about 50-50 between the two of us in work contributions.

Dear all, does your DH homeschool as well? DH wanted to help my out with homeschooling because I am pregnant and it's very difficult to teach (dizyness and pain) most of the time. But I find it very difficult to let things go :-) .

Probably about 90% of us will respond that DH does not homeschool as well. But that's only because of time and division of labor. Most of the fathers here work full time out of the home to make the money. Most of the mothers work full time teaching the kids. There is usually no reason for the father to come home and then also teach the kids. The teaching of the kids is usually done when the father is out of the house.

Your question isn't really about whether or not our DH's help with homeschool. Your question is really, "Do you think it's ok to hand over the reigns to my DH and lose my complete control over teaching the kids?"

If your DH wants to do it, and there is nothing unusual about him that makes him unable to be a homeschooler, then he can do it. He is just as capable of being a homeschooler as any of the women (and men-we have at least one dad on these boards who is the only homeschooling parent in his home) that become homeschoolers.

The only thing that is barring his way, could be time and you. Does he have the time to do it when the kids are still fresh? If he comes home at 6 and tries to school them, will they be too worn out to learn?

Are you willing to work as a partner with him for the next few months and get him up to speed on what needs to be done? Or are you willing to write out some instructions for him to follow while you rest?

You'll have to figure out the answer to those things on your own. And maybe we can chime in on what it's like to let go of teaching, for those of us who have done so.

There have been times where I've written out some instructions to DH and he's taken over a lesson from time to time. He likes to teach and when he's on vacation (he has tons of vacation) he likes to be the one to teach the boys. I had to give him a few guidelines (or he'd turn a 30 minute science lesson into an all day ordeal), and show him how our curric works...but then I had to step out of the room and let him do his thing without me hovering and being controlling. Not easy for me. Giving him a time-limit for each class and a list of "must-dos" and then leaving the room was key.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 8

My dh does not help me homeschool/ teach the kids. He works all day and I teach all day. I'm not sure I would want him to help me homeschool the kids.

He does , however, help with taking the kids here and there for their lessons and sports. He will also run to the store for me, spend time in the evening with the kiddos playing board games, and take us on field trips on his day off.

Edited by Peacefulisle

DH does extras like chess and computers. If I were sick, I'd expect him to be able to follow my plans enough to get the basics done--we're not doing anything too complicated--except I don't know when. (He works full-time, has a commute, and often is required to be on conference calls in the early mornings/late evenings.) I'd probably prefer to have him cooking and cleaning, and limit schoolwork that requires a lot from an adult for a few weeks while I recovered. Or see if I could hire a teacher friend to come by for an hour a day.

He will fill in as needed.  He calls himself "the substitute teacher".  He will teach and supervise everything except Writing With Ease.  For some reason he hates WWE.

Edited by wathe

DH handles dishes and bedtime read-aloud.

If he is off of work, he might follow my lesson plan for two days a year.

He is also really good about asking kids how attitudes were during school, and being encouraging if I tell him they did well that day.  The most important thing to me is that he shows our kids that learning is important to him, and he expects respect toward me during the day.

• Like 1

Not currently.  When the boys were little, he would read aloud to them at bedtime a book I handed him.  When I worked full-time, he had school assigned to do with them.  I kept the parts that needed consistency and knowledge of the program (math, writing), and he did reading aloud or scripted grammar, etc.

• Like 1

Yes, everyday (we after school). 

We work either in one large group or one-parent-to-one-child. We switch kids often too. We find it helpful for us and the kids. Sometimes a kid can learn it better from dad than he could from mom; or vice-versa. Dad could bring different methods that you didn't think of. 

• Like 2

Mine doesn't either. But he does take over the kids for me whenever he can so I can plan and prep and is very supportive.

This is us too.

Next year, he may be in charge of building/getting supplies for physics experiments, but that is about it:-) Had and awesome physics teacher back in the Dino days of high school, so he wants to do some hands on with that... Think, road runner and coyote :lol:

He is very bright and capable. The supportive piece is the big one though. I know when I have to go into planning mode, he won't bat an eyelash at picking up the slack. I would not be nearly as keen on homeschooling if he wasn't such a good support system.

• Like 1

Yes.  He has taught all the math and science for Jr. High and Sr. High levels. He does subject integration subjects like error analysis which include some logic, math and science.

He started a business a few years ago and typically works 50-70 hour work weeks so I'm doing science for at least another year and I've switched to Teaching Textbooks so that's outsourcing in house. He does a project or two (like the Space Race this year) by not regularly.

He has always read aloud to the kids about an hour a day until they graduate and still does, but when a huge deadline or release date comes up, it's only about 4 days a week.

We don't invade each other's territory.  The person who teaches the subject makes all the decisions about curriculum, scheduling, teaching techniques, content, etc.  We discuss it at the beginning of the year and listen to each other's goals and concerns then we stay out of each other's way and ask if there's anything we can do to support each other.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ

No.

He definitely teaches them skills, such as bike mechanics, computer/tech skills and general mechanical things, but all of that is incidental and not interest led. He has occasionally explained a math concept when another perspective or take is needed on it, but that is rare.

I am not opposed to him offering instruction, but he is not really wired to impart formal academics. It is not something he would enjoy on a regular basis. Not too mention, he is quite busy running a company. 

Mine doesn't. But I just have the two, who aren't difficult to teach and who get along great. I live in an easy to maintain house, in a super convenient area. It use to beg me that he wouldn't speak french to them so they could learn the language naturally. But I let that go long ago. 

Mine doesn't. He works full-time at a demanding job and is an invested parent when he gets home. I almost always have school finished by the time he is home.

When I was pregnant this year and more tired, we found it easier to have him help more with toddler care/housework/etc than school, just because it takes time for me to communicate my plan to him and then him figure it out with the kids. He also did field trips.

But if you DH is interested in doing some school and it's helpful for you, I'd totally go for it!

• Like 1

No, he was/is a lousy teacher.  He did stuff he enjoyed doing with the kids.  Walking, hiking, playing bridge, playing chess, cutting wood, etc. - usually on the weekends when he was home and awake.  He just didn't do well with the sitting and explaining parts of anything, really.

When our dc were older (late teens?), dh did some calculus and physics with them.  By that time, they were able to adjust to his teaching 'style'. 

How old are your kids?  I guess I would let him help if he was good with the kids and he wanted to do it.

Edited by _ ?^..

Mine steps in sometimes. He helped ds get a bunch of math problems wrong this morning apparently.  :lol:

Seriously, he helps sometimes. He's invaluable for taking kids places. He reads aloud. Sometimes he'll do a little unit about something, like politics this year. Or he'll take over something, like how he read the book for their co-op book club with them and then attended instead of me that day. But overall, he isn't in the trenches with it and he doesn't always know what to do, so it's mostly on me, which is fine. He helps in other ways.

• Like 1

If necessary, mine will do school-related read-aloud a with the kids. He also teaches them home repair and maintenance of skills, involves them in cooking, and loves doing science demonstrations and experiments with them. We also hike and camp as a family quite often an he enjoys teaching them those skills as well. He has no interest in the day-to-day schoolwork right now, but he wants to take over science when they hit middle school (I'm happy to do it, but I'll give it to him if it means more involvement).

No, but I wish he could!  He's a great teacher and really brilliant.  Each of us separately is pretty decent, but together, we'd be a fabulous teaching team!  Unfortunately, he just doesn't have time.  He does spend time in the evenings teaching them guitar things, and he'll help a bit here and there as needed, or explain a concept when I know he could do a better job than I could, but as for the actual major schooling?  No.

A little.  Occasionally if I am not home on a school day and he is, he'll supervise work that I set out.  If one of the kids is having trouble with a math concept I often get him to work on it with them - he is better at teaching math creativly than I am.  And he does some moreinformal science stuff with them, typically if he takes them out camping or fishing or whatever.  Or if they have questions.

If we homeschool as the kids are older, especially high school, he would likely take over math and the hard sciences - he's a chemist and just able to offer much more in those areas.

ETA: the real limit is that he is busy with work, aside from his regular job he is an army reservist, is working on a graduate degree, and is a church warden.

Edited by Bluegoat

Mine doesn't and that was part of the agreement to homeschool.  He is hands on with the kids and teaches them all sorts of things just not "school" type things.  He would feel out of depth trying to teach them based on the curriculum I have chosen.  He would have to spend a lot time getting acclimated.

Here are a few things I could probably have DH do without much effort on his part to get up to speed would be reading aloud, copywork/handwriting, literature, Latin since DD has a DVD, and possibly writing.  I would encourage him to do a lot of outdoor exploration, baking, art, and fun science experiments.  And most important, subjects or experiences that he would be excited to share with the kids.

I think it's great that you DH wants to become involved and help lighten your load.  However, sometimes trying to do what some else does isn't productive or helpful.  Only you can determine whether his helping would actually be help to you.

My DH is very supportive of our schooling but it overwhelms him very easily. He will happily teach the kids for a day or two (and even did it for 10 days while I was out of the country last year!) but it's not his preference.

Usually, I give the kids a break when they're with Daddy and let him teach them things he's interested in. I came in from a day out one time to a diagram of an airplane with the words: lift, drag, thrust, and weight on the board around it. DH is a pilot and was teaching them things that are not my forte. I'm happy with our balance.

DH and I both work full time and divide up home, financial, life, and schooling responsibilities.

I'd rather teach; he would rather cook and clean. So, we all win.

He drives her to all activities, and teaches her a lot of interest-led stuff with her.

We do lots of interest-led science and history together.

• Like 1

I do the bulk of it. DH helps with Mandarin Chinese (I speak a different dialect - Cantonese so it is harder for me.) He will do some science that I plan for him because my son likes doing experiments/projects. Some math and coding, I do the bulk of it though. My kiddo enjoys doing challenge math with his dad (i.e. Borac, Zaccaro, Beast). He will supervise/run lessons if I plan them out and prep everything for him. 

DH is willing to help some, however he does not think like I do so even though it seems simple to me, he cannot "do my plan" for a day. He helps the kids with math when they ask him. He quickly gets frustrated when the curriculum is presenting things in a way different than he would and just starts teaching the kids what he knows about it, which is sometimes fine and sometimes a matter of him not seeing the big picture of lesson progression. If he were the homeschooling parent, our school would look very different.

ETA: DH works from home several days a week. Sometimes he is very busy, but other days he has downtime waiting on others to do their part of the current project so that he has what he needs.

Edited by abacus2

My husband homeschools but not like I do. He can step in helping a kid with homework but as a teacher I like to do things my way. He also likes to do things his way. I respect him enough to let that happen. So he may teach them something in the garage. He may build a computer with them. He may choose a novel to read out loud to them (less often). He may start showing them things on YouTube and having long discussions with them. When I had to leave town I did specify what needed done because some areas, like my daughter's math, needed to be continued while I was gone and I did tell him what and how to do things, because in that case he was perfectly capable of teaching but was stepping into an already ongoing process.  He is willing but ongoing long term things are mostly left to me because he is finding time after work so things take longer. He prefers a project or something with a deadline to a year long class. 

Edited by frogger

He does a lot of informal teaching, discussion of concepts, answering DS's questions, etc. but not the nitty-gritty of homeschooling.  Most of the time it would take more time to get DH up to speed on a lesson than just to teach it myself.  

Dh does science corrections and labs because I really do not like science all that much.  He also helps if I am sick or something else is up.  He is good at stepping in as long as I have it planned out. He is not a planner but if I tell him this needs to be done then he is willing to do it.  Now he does not always do things like I will but depending on the situation I just need to let it go.  My ego is not as important as helping the child.  As long as the material is correct the method should not matter if the child is learning.

Let it go, let it go!   :001_smile:  Give yourself permission to accept his help and take it easy.  This is just a short season - you'll be back in charge soon!  I had two difficult pregnancies with lots of issues including dizziness and pain, and there was no way I could have homeschooled without help.  

My DH is involved with our homeschooling and has been from the beginning.  When we were discussing the possibility of pulling them from school, DD going into 1st grade and DS going into 6th, I agreed to be the primary teacher if he would take on math.  All math, all levels.  It's worked out well.  I love teaching them everything but math, and he loves teaching them math.   :hurray:

• Like 1

My DH tries to do "daddy school" once a week on a weekend day (which removes any slacker guilt if we skip schooly stuff for a day or two during the week). I'll usually brief him about what we're doing in math, reading, etc the night before/morning of. The curriculums we use (RIghtStart, AAR, BYL) are pretty easy to jump right into on any given day. I do most of the overall school planning and choosing, but we do discuss before any big purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk