Menu

What Do You Miss From Your Childhood?

Gil

I'm feeling nostalgic. I can't stop thinking about stuff from my childhood that I miss lately.

I miss taking naps at will.

I miss fist fighting after school just for kicks

I miss riding my Huffy around town.

I miss playing super heroes.

I miss having water gun fights.

I miss the ice cream shop that was my favorite place in the world.

I miss enjoying peanut butter and syrup sandwiches. That stuff is disgusting to me now, but I miss the days when I could enjoy one.

I miss dangerous play ground equipment--slides and monkey bars that super heated during the day.

I miss the old Saturday morning cartoons.

I miss cheating on school work and laughing at the teachers for not catching it.

What do you miss from your childhood?

I wish I could take all the naps I skipped!

Truthfully I miss rollerblading and bike riding. I used to go around for hours on end listening to music on my Walkman and imagining all sorts of stories. My family would be inside watching sitcoms and I could wait to escape back outside. I must have done hundreds of miles around our pool/deck area on my blades, and then another several thousand up and down our cul de sac.

I really deeply miss figure skating as well. It's SO expensive even with my own boots and blades, and whenever I'm pregnant I can't balance well. But that is a hobby I fully plan on taking back up in the next few years because I adore it.

I miss worrying less and being more naive. 

Even when stuff was very bad, and it often was, I didn't worry about it to the extent I worry about far less now.  I think because I didn't realize the possibility that things could get worse and I wasn't responsible for figuring it out. 

• Like 11

I miss riding my bike to the library in the summer and coming home with the panniers both full of books, and then having the time to just sit and read them, one after the other.

I miss going to church whereever we travelled and finding the same services out of the same hymnals.

I miss my grandparents.

I miss patriotism being considered a normal virtue, credibly claimed by both liberals and conservatives.

I miss the generally optimistic view of history and the expectation of progress and steady improvement in circumstances for our generation.

• Like 4

I miss thinking the world was a safe place where everyone had the best intentions.

I miss carefree days of no plans and endless summers of fun. I miss not being in charge of everything and not being responsible for food, laundry, cleaning, planning.

• Like 6

Most of those things are so deep!  I was thinking I really miss the ice-cream bikes with the bells that sold the popcicles that look like rocket ships.

We had an ice cream place that sold popsicles that came in different shapes.

Not to be a downer, but I miss my mom! 

I also vividly recall lying on my bed one summer day. Dad was cutting the grass and Mom was making something simple, but wonderful. I was writing and listening to music. Those sounds and smells just made me stop and wish that day would never end. I hope my kids have days like that.

• Like 8

I miss sitting in my Mamaw's kitchen sipping a coke float from her tin cups. (She had 6, all from a late 40's gas station promotion.)

I miss being able to hide in the corner and read during family events.

I miss watching VHS tapes of musicals with my Grandma.

I miss not being in charge of laundry.

I miss being sick meaning all I had to do was lay in bed and sleep.

I miss sitting in my Great Grandfather's basement listening to the rock polisher.

Mostly I miss the older family members who were a part of my childhood. (I won't lie, the sick and laundry things sound super good today!)

I miss SimTower. It's my all-time favorite game, and I could play it for hours upon hours and never tire of it. I actually tried to find a comparable game the other day, and struck out. It sounds ridiculous, but I've had a stressful week and I'd give anything (except maybe the hand I need to use the mouse) to play it again.

I also miss the time to play a computer game for hours upon hours.

• Like 1

I miss SimTower. It's my all-time favorite game, and I could play it for hours upon hours and never tire of it. I actually tried to find a comparable game the other day, and struck out. It sounds ridiculous, but I've had a stressful week and I'd give anything (except maybe the hand I need to use the mouse) to play it again.

I also miss the time to play a computer game for hours upon hours.

You'll need a way to run it on a newer version of Windows but here is a copy of SimTower and here is a guide on how to run the game on Windows 7. Happy gaming

• Like 3

I miss patriotism and believing the best of people, too.

I miss reading for hours and hours and hours.  And hours.

I miss having a messy room and feeling no guilt over it at all.

I miss being able to eat Ramen Noodles 2 times a day and not feeling the slightest bit of angst over that, too.  (I loved ramen noodles.)

• Like 5

I miss being a free range kid. I rode my bike for miles, played in the woods, in our treehouse, in the creek, on pasture land, rode to town and got candy or ice cream. I got to ride horses, play with my dog and friends and had so much time for imaginative play. 

I miss hours and hours and hours to read.

I miss going to the beach for a month in the summer.

I miss my Dad. I wish he knew my Dh and had gotten to meet my kids. 

• Like 1

I miss the freedom that I had. After school until dinner and all summer long, we were allowed almost total freedom. We'd knock on each other's bedroom windows to see if our friends could play, and we'd ride bikes to the local store, play ball, play in the creek, swim in the apartment complex pool, and just generally hang out.    There were no arranged playdates and nobody organized our lives. I probably missed out on a lot of cool stuff like organized sports and scouts but we were a one car family and Mom didn't drive. And we couldn't afford it anyway.

At night our folks would gather on someone's porch to drink coffee or beer and the kids would run around the neighborhood playing hide and seek or something...usually until at least 11 on Friday and Saturday nights.   In 1969 a neighbor set up his telescope and showed us the moon - after watching the coverage on tv we were pretty excited to look at the moon through a telescope. Oh, we had such hope for our future...we thought we'd live on the moon or have cars that flew like the Jetsons.  

I guess as an adult I have the freedom to do what I want most days but I have obligations and need to be responsible. 

And I miss my mom. 

• Like 1

This:

I miss thinking the world was a safe place where everyone had the best intentions.

I miss carefree days of no plans and endless summers of fun. I miss not being in charge of everything and not being responsible for food, laundry, cleaning, planning.

And I miss my Dad. The world became a very scary place with out him in it and my childhood and that of my brothers was lost when he died. It took us forever to find our feet again.

• Like 1

Oh, how could I forget!?

I miss the intense friendships that can develop.  Where you just looooove your friends.  Where they mean the world to you and you can't bear to be apart from them.  The endless laughter and inside jokes and hanging out together doing nothing and having the best time ever.  You can see them all day in school, and then talk to them on the phone for hours at night.  (text nowadays).  I miss that intensity...or maybe I just miss the time needed to develop that level of intensity for friends.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

Not much. My mom of course but not much more.

There is not enough money in the whole world for me to go back and live any significant chunk of my childhood over again. No.thank.you.

That said, I still do crap like have waterfights, go on the monkey bars, ride a bike, play games. I even take naps somedays.

There's not an age limit on silly.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 7

I miss team sports--I don't like "exercising" but soccer, softball, and basketball were fun.

I miss my trampoline--jumping, splashing with the sprinkler under it, sleeping under the stars.

I miss spending my after-school hours at the library pursuing my own interests that were "not on the test" at school.

I miss riding my bike to the pool, park, ice cream shop, school, lessons.

I miss piano lessons and the time to practice, though back then I got tired of it.

I miss my Mom and Dad and my little sister.

I miss carefree days.

I miss exploring my neighborhood and riding bikes to different places.

I miss the large neighborhood games we played with all the kids.

I miss having laundry, planning meals and executing them and housework all done without my help

• Like 1

I don't see that comment as a downer.  I think it is sincere and sweet. :wub:

Thanks. It would have been a downer if I mentioned she died a while back. I was going to but thought better of  it. I had her for my entire childhood, but my dc did not have her in their lives nearly enough. Sniff, sniff.

I miss checking out milk crates full of books for our week-long summer vacation at a cabin.  Mom, Grandma and I would read and Dad and Grandpa would go fishing.

I miss Jello 1-2-3.

I miss my parents.  They would've gotten a kick out of my kids.  I can already see so much of my mom in DD and it's so bittersweet. 

• Like 1

I miss Jello 1-2-3.

I'm pretty sure if I had it today I wouldn't like it,  but in my memories Jello 1-2-3 was awesome.  Every once in a while one of my sisters will mention it- nostalgia is a funny thing.  I remember goofy stuff like that but have no recollection of events my folks thought were pretty noteworthy. 

• Like 1

Clam bakes at my Grandmother's with the extended family. The men were always playing horseshoes.

Riding bikes with my best friends (who lived next door!) down to the corner store for candy.

Ice skating on the cranberry bogs.

Being the smartest kid in the class. Or at least thinking I was!

Spending hours on my artwork.

Having my uncle teach me poker, and the first time I beat him.

Working at the Water Wizz as a teen.

My first kiss.

When my dad would grill and invite my best friend over for dinner.

• Like 2

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only person who had a wonderful childhood, but likes adulthood better.

really like making my own decisions and having my own space. I enjoy both my siblings and my parents more as adult friends. My husband is my heart, my partner, my caregiver if I am sick. I love seeing my own kids grow. I like being wiser. I do miss the feeling of how mom singing to me made everything better.

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only person who had a wonderful childhood, but likes adulthood better.

I really like making my own decisions and having my own space. I enjoy both my siblings and my parents more as adult friends. My husband is my heart, my partner, my caregiver if I am sick. I love seeing my own kids grow. I like being wiser. I do miss the feeling of how mom singing to me made everything better.

Nope, I much prefer being a married adult as well. Roller blading, figure skating, and relaxing outside for hours is about ALL I miss. Edited by Arctic Mama

I miss the pool in my backyard. We set it up every year, and I swam (really, bobbed around and played) all summer.

I miss the feeling that summer lasted a long, long time.

I missed my whole family being together. It felt right.

I miss my dog, Sam. He was so gentle, you could anything to that pup--not that I did. He was just a rock, steady and dependable and always available for petting. He was really an overweight, beagle/bassett who was incredibly patient and an excellent family dog.

I miss playing SPUD in the yard, and playing with my brothers and my dad. My dad "travelled," so he tried to play with us when he could.

I miss my best friend, Stacey, and my other-best-friend, Robin.

I miss visiting my 3rd grade teacher, Miss Reinhardt, afterschool on Fridays when I was in 6th grade. I'd go to her class with Stacey and my across-the-street-neighbor, Robbie, and she'd give us her apples from her desk and speak to us as if we were truly all grown up, being in 6th grade and all.

I miss my room. This makes me cry. I loved my little white room on the corner of the house, with the view of the backyard all the way to the crabapple trees, and the "other window," which looked over the garage roof. I miss my big desk, that had been my mothers, and the ivy I grew in a pot, and the tiny locust tree I tried to grow (and it did grow, in a pot for several years before we put it outside and it died), and the lambskin rug on the floor that my parents brought me back from their trip to England, when Mrs. B. came to babysit for a whole week, and tried to make a cake but she used the roasting pan and forgot an ingredient and it came out flat...

• Like 3

What a great thread  - likes all around!!

I miss my mom. I wish my kids had known her.

I miss the feeling of being taken care of.

I miss not having to think about what is for dinner.

I miss the world of no internet, no mobile phones. It's very helpful at times, but I dislike how a person can never be unreachable for a time, kwim?

I miss the lazy, all day to do nothing kind of days.

I miss the feeling of excitement/hope for the future when your life was all out in front of you.

• Like 2

Another nothing here.  There's no way I'd want to relive anything from my childhood.

There were some good spots/days, but I've taken those and expanded upon them for my own life, and I ditched the bad.

I now have a superb best friend in hubby.  I have critters I love and they love me back (or at least do a good job pretending).  I've been able to give my boys the childhood I wished I could have had.  

It wasn't until college that I felt like I could truly enjoy life.  I don't even have a favorite food I didn't keep in my life and I love the critters I have now as much as the critters I had then.

• Like 1