Menu

What's for Dinner?

Ethel Mertz

I'm not terribly experienced with cooking chicken, but this is what I've done:

Experimental Crock Pot Chicken Recipe

Put these ingredients in order into the crockpot.

1 cup of vegetable or chicken broth

1 large chopped onion

6 large carrots, chopped

1 package (frozen! yikes! I hope this works out!) boneless, skinless chicken thighs

garlic powder and rosemary sprinkled over everything

1 pint size jar of pear marmalade (someone gave it to us as a gift... I'm thinking any marmalade or jam could work) - spread over chicken thighs

Put crockpot on high setting for 1 hour.

Turn temp down to low and cook for about 5 hours. Serve with dinner rolls, roasted potatoes, and a green vegetable.

What is everyone else having?

Sounds good!

My husband is cooking tonight for my daughter's birthday. Jamaican black bean curry, collard greens, jerk chicken (vegan), yellow rice, and biscuits. 

Listening in because I'm in one of those funks where I feel like I can't bear to eat the same ol recipes. :)

• Like 1

Well it will be stuffed shells, homemade lasagne or chicken almondine casserole.  I'm making all three today so I have so freezer meals for my mom to make when she is watching my kids next week (she is not much of a cook so I always send meals when she watches the kids) and what we have will depend on what I feel like when it's time to put something in the oven.

• Like 1

I am making enchiladas with leftover roast beef for DH and I. The kids will get tacos with ground beef which they prefer.  Still working on a good side dish for it.  Kids are pushing for tator tots, but I would like something a bit more healthy.

• Like 1

I rummaged through the freezer and found cooked ground beef and onions, so that's in the Instant Pot (on slow cook) with garlic, crushed tomatoes, a Parmesan rind, and some finely shredded carrots for meat sauce. I'll cook pasta later or throw it in there maybe with some extra water.

• Like 3

We're having fish tacos with a side of brown rice with Rotel and extra veg.

Last night I made something I have not had in an age, Spaghetti alla Carbonara which was really good.  I used Bittman's How to Cook Everything recipe, substituting Applegate turkey bacon for pancetta and adding some veg (cause that's the kind of gal I am), in this case broccoli, shallot, orange pepper.  I have two wedges of Parmesan in the fridge so I went looking for a recipe that uses a lot.  Carbonara also has eggs in it.  Think of it as breakfast for dinner...with spaghetti. 

• Like 2

We're getting together to play games with our neighbors again and this time all of us have opted for pizza.

Really ingenious, I know, but I guess we save our brain cells for the games.

If you'd asked last night then I could have said we had sauteed portabella mushrooms, a Parmesan pasta, and garden peas followed by a pomelo for dessert, but no, you had to ask about  tonight... :tongue_smilie:  

That's ok, we'll be having fun socializing.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 2

We're getting together to play games with our neighbors again and this time all of us have opted for pizza.

Really ingenious, I know, but I guess we save our brain cells for the games.

If you'd asked last night then I could have said we had sauteed portabella mushrooms, a Parmesan pasta, and garden peas followed by a pomelo for dessert, but no, you had to ask about  tonight... :tongue_smilie:  

That's ok, we'll be having fun socializing.  :coolgleamA:

Love the portabella  mushroom combo! If it helps, tomorrow I'm taking soup out of the freezer and making some pillsbury biscuits!

I'm trying a new recipe of Moroccan chicken for an international family night at AWANA. I didn't have time to put it in the crock pot this morning so I baked the chicken, cooked the rest on the stove, and transferred to the crock pot to keep it warm. It's pretty tasty; I'm hoping my husband will like it so I can make it again.

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a34003/moroccan-spiced-chicken-recipe-ghk0313/

• Like 1

Mjeddrah.

I had to look that up, lol, sounds delicious and healthy.

We had dinner at a Japanese shopping center. Then went to a shop in another town, because their bubble tea is our favorite.

Our dinners are all on the go this week, because it is school vacation and we are out and about. But I did make smoked salmon eggs Benedict for breakfast recently.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Home made pizza (mushrooms, beef, possibly more toppings) with mozzarella

3 veggies (cucumber, carrots, corn?)

Fruit (probably pears)

Water, splash, cold (no caff) tea or milk

(Just because now I'm thinking and want to write it down...)

Lunch:

Cooked chicken (with sauce of some kind)

Frozen veggies

Apple

Water, splash, tea or cold tea

Snack(s):

Popcorn and nuts

(or/and)

Whole wheat crackers, and cheese

Grapes or dry apricots

Tea or cold tea (caff)

Breakfast:

White sourdough bread with butter

Fruit (maybe blueberries)

Protein of some kind (pork loin, or egg, maybe)

Tea and water or splash

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 1

We settled for salmon tonight - assuming it looks appetizing when I go to the store to buy it.  I'll be looking around for something to go with it too - picking what looks good - probably sweet potatoes.  Then we'll add kale since we have plenty in our freezer.  We still have pomelos for dessert.

Hubby cooks salmon, sweet potatoes, and kale, so I'm quite satisfied with what we came up with.   :tongue_smilie:   I can't pass on his salmon recipe (broiled) since I don't know it, but it's extremely tasty.

• Like 1

Hey, you guys are inspiring!

I think I have a new goal to try to depart from my plain-eating rut of "meat that tastes like itself, served with 3 veggies that taste like themselves" -- in meals where the meat is plain (or nearly plain) I'm going to try to fancy up one of the veggies. I like the sound of "loaded" cauliflower, and I'm sure there are lots of things to jump off from for better side dishes. Lemon-dill carrots. Creamy corn. I can do this.

• Like 4

We had leftover soup that I had previously frozen, rosemary bread, and cheese. DS had a veggie hotdog and tater tots... and I think some carrot sticks passed his lips. Tomorrow we're having salmon, butternut squash, broccoli, and dinner rolls. By the way, the crockpot chicken thing I did in the OP turned out really well!

I made a pot roast, which somehow I miscalculated cooking time on and it wasn't done after being in the oven for almost 2 hours. So we are having the mashed potatoes and roasted carrots I intended to go with the roast...and Trader Joe's Bavarian Bratwursts and sauerkraut instead. Such a bummer because we don't eat meat on Fridays, so we will have to save the roast for Saturday now.