Menu

Prayers, please? Having surgery on Tuesday. UPDATE post #38

dirty ethel rackham

I've been avoiding having this surgery for so long.  5 years ago, I injured my ankle (not sure how, but woke up not being able to walk on it.)  I had the x-rays, MRI, then physical therapy.  I had some tendons that were inflamed as well as an OCD (basically a divot in the cartilage in my ankle.)  Unfortunately, PT failed.  The only solution presented to me after that  was to break my ankle.  The cure sounded worse than the problem so  I decided to live with it.  Over the last year, it has been getting worse.  Then, 3 weeks ago, I fell, landing hard on that foot and nearly passed out from the pain.  As it turns out, the decision about surgery was made.  The new MRI showed a floating body in the joint (probably a piece of cartilage sheered off) and a ruptured posterior tibial tendon.  Well, in 5 years, surgical techniques have improved quite a bit and they don't have to break my ankle to get into the joint to remove the floating body and attempt to repair the OCD.  They also have to take part of a tendon from another part of my foot to rebuild the tendon that ruptured. 

So, I will be non-weight-bearing for over 3 weeks and on crutches and a boot for another 3.  I'm asking for your prayers that this be a successful surgery and that the recovery process won't be too arduous for my entire family. 

See post 38 for an update.  Thank you to all who have prayed and are continuing to do so. 

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

I've been avoiding having this surgery for so long.  5 years ago, I injured my ankle (not sure how, but woke up not being able to walk on it.)  I had the x-rays, MRI, then physical therapy.  I had some tendons that were inflamed as well as an OCD (basically a divot in the cartilage in my ankle.)  Unfortunately, PT failed.  The only solution presented to me after that  was to break my ankle.  The cure sounded worse than the problem so  I decided to live with it.  Over the last year, it has been getting worse.  Then, 3 weeks ago, I fell, landing hard on that foot and nearly passed out from the pain.  As it turns out, the decision about surgery was made.  The new MRI showed a floating body in the joint (probably a piece of cartilage sheered off) and a ruptured posterior tibial tendon.  Well, in 5 years, surgical techniques have improved quite a bit and they don't have to break my ankle to get into the joint to remove the floating body and attempt to repair the OCD.  They also have to take part of a tendon from another part of my foot to rebuild the tendon that ruptured. 

So, I will be non-weight-bearing for over 3 weeks and on crutches and a boot for another 3.  I'm asking for your prayers that this be a successful surgery and that the recovery process won't be too arduous for my entire family. 

Praying all goes amazingly well. 

• Like 2

Good thoughts to you! My ds had both feet broken and repaired in January. He is non weight bearing for 10 more days!!! Dry shampoo is your friend. Get a stack of books, binge watch Netflix, and just relax. If your foot feels weird, but the pain meds don't help, ask for Valium. You can have spasms and the pain meds won't stop them. Some doctors don't write prescriptions for it when you leave the hospital, but it really helped my ds. Good luck!!!

• Like 2

I had the tibial tendon transfer surgery 8 years ago. Are they adjusting your foot so there is not as much pressure on the smaller tendon? Sometimes this is done with a heel cut. I had to have a follow up surgery to fuse the mid section of the foot and honestly need another. 

I spent one night in the hospital with an ankle block for the pain control for the first surgery which was helpful. Ask for medicine to control nausea when you get your anesthesia and a prescription for when you get home. I am sure you know to keep your ankle eleveated above your heart. I found it helpful to sleep on the couch because if I slept in the bed there was room for me to put my foot down when I slept without knowing it. It is hard to ice through a cast so I was told to ice at the back of my knee. I struggled both times with infection of the surgical sight. Just to let you know fever is not normal nor is it normal for your ankle to feel hot and prickly; I had IV antibiotics both times and took antibiotic but still had infections. Do you have a chair for the shower? They sell a waterproof sleeve to put over your cast that worked well. I found that I managed the bathtub better than the shower. And, man, nothing felt better than feeling clean after a few days without a shower. You can rent a knee scooter. I bought a walker with wheels since I was tall enough to use it like a knee scooter. I also used a wheelchair that I was given. I honestly can say the wheel chair was most helpful since then I could carry stuff. I recall the first time I was cast before surgery and I made myself a cup of coffee then realized I could not carry it to the table, the wheelchair allowed me to have my coffee. I am sure you can rent a wheelchair. 

Something else that helped when the pain was quite severe (pain meds are not my friends) was to listen to a favorite book. The tv was too bright and hurt my eyes so the audio book helped keep my mind focused on something other than the pain. 

I will keep you in my prayers. 

• Like 2

Praying all goes well. See if your insurance will cover one of those knee scooters. It 's easier around the house than crutches.

Thanks.  I'm calling the insurance company today to see if they will cover it.  Even if they don't, I will rent one anyway. 

x

Praying for you!

x

I had the tibial tendon transfer surgery 8 years ago. Are they adjusting your foot so there is not as much pressure on the smaller tendon? Sometimes this is done with a heel cut. I had to have a follow up surgery to fuse the mid section of the foot and honestly need another. 

I spent one night in the hospital with an ankle block for the pain control for the first surgery which was helpful. Ask for medicine to control nausea when you get your anesthesia and a prescription for when you get home. I am sure you know to keep your ankle eleveated above your heart. I found it helpful to sleep on the couch because if I slept in the bed there was room for me to put my foot down when I slept without knowing it. It is hard to ice through a cast so I was told to ice at the back of my knee. I struggled both times with infection of the surgical sight. Just to let you know fever is not normal nor is it normal for your ankle to feel hot and prickly; I had IV antibiotics both times and took antibiotic but still had infections. Do you have a chair for the shower? They sell a waterproof sleeve to put over your cast that worked well. I found that I managed the bathtub better than the shower. And, man, nothing felt better than feeling clean after a few days without a shower. You can rent a knee scooter. I bought a walker with wheels since I was tall enough to use it like a knee scooter. I also used a wheelchair that I was given. I honestly can say the wheel chair was most helpful since then I could carry stuff. I recall the first time I was cast before surgery and I made myself a cup of coffee then realized I could not carry it to the table, the wheelchair allowed me to have my coffee. I am sure you can rent a wheelchair. 

Something else that helped when the pain was quite severe (pain meds are not my friends) was to listen to a favorite book. The tv was too bright and hurt my eyes so the audio book helped keep my mind focused on something other than the pain. 

I will keep you in my prayers. 

Yes!  They will be doing the tendon transfer and may do a heel cut as well.  Whenever I brought up needing a shower chair, people look at my like I am crazy.  But both of my knees are crap.  I will get a grab bar installed today as well.  I plan to get a knee scooter as well.  I don't think a wheel chair will help much.  My house is too small and too many levels.  With my luck, I'd wheel myself down the stairs trying to get around the kitchen island. 

I have a call into the surgeon today because we didn't discuss pain meds much and I can't have codeine or vicodin. 

I had ACL/knee surgery 1.5 months ago and a shower stool and grab bar were handy.  A shower sprayer/hanger was also handy.  

(We already had these from DH's cancer treatment, but I was glad to have them!)

Best of luck on a smooth surgery & a quick recovery!

The hardest part for me has been having depend on others to get out.  My surgery was my right leg, so I couldn't drive for nearly 3 weeks.  Harris Teeter express lane (online ordering) has been a life saver!  I order online, DH picks it up on the way home from work -- and he doesn't even have to get out of the car!  Score!

• Like 2

Ask if you have to ice it a lot. If so, ask if your insurance covers the portable ice machine. They will wrap it on in the OR. It is wonderful! A shower chair is very important. If you have bad knees, the knee scooter might not work. My mom had one with a broken foot and it caused her knee to ache a lot.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

The surgery seems to have gone well, at least according to dh who talked to the surgeon afterwards.  I'm in more pain than I expected, despite the heavy duty pain meds.  I'm only getting 2 hours relief and I can only take the meds every 4 hours.  I have a call into the doctor.    And the meds have made it difficult to navigate on crutches.  I used to be a pro at those:).   Living in a split level house is not very conducive to recovering from surgery.  I'm having to do those stairs like a toddler ... on my rear.   When K gets up, I'll have them fax in the scrip for the knee scooter. 

We figured out that I should not be alone for more than an hour at a time since I can't make it to the bathroom without supervision.  K has to take dd into the city for her climbing team practice, so I was expecting to be alone for 4 hours.  Fortunately, a friend is coming over to cover that spot.  I'm a little to groggy to read anything heavier than FB and the newspaper.  I'll watch some shows on Netflix today as well.

• Like 16

Navigating on crutches while sedated is so hard. I borrowed a walker with wheels and kept in the bathroom just to help me be independent. Please ice often to help with the pain; pain meds were never that successful for me. I found benedryl the best way to make me sleepy. Good luck with the next few days. 

• Like 1

I hope the pain gets under control quickly! Maybe see if you can get a prescription for one of those continuous ice machines. My Dad used one after shoulder surgery. It must've helped because he would never complain or take anything stronger than Tylenol despite the script for Oxy the doc gave him, but he used that ice machine regularly.

The doctor phoned in a scrip for Valium, which is taking the edge off.  Plus, my friend's visit helped distract me enough.  Still have some pain, but not scrape me off the ceiling pain. 

I was thinking about one of those ice machines, but am having trouble figuring out how it would work over the splint and heavy bandages.  I am icing it but I don't' feel it. 

• Like 2

With my knee surgery, the hospital sent me home with the ice machine wrap over my bandages but inside my brace.  Is your splint removable or are you supposed to leave it on nonstop?  (I had to leave my brace on for several days, but was able to unstrap it to remove the ice pack if I didn't want it on -- but honestly, I just kept in on and cold for the first few days. It really felt good!)

ETA: this is exactly what I used but I think they make cuffs for ankles, too:

http://www.breg.com/products/cold-therapy/devices/kodiak-cold-therapy

Edited by alisoncooks