Menu

What Age Do Your Kids REALLY Begin Eating You out of house and home?

Gil

115 members have voted

1. 1. What age did your kid begin REALLY eating?

• 2-4
    • 5-7
    • 8-10
    • 11-13
    • 14-16
    • 17-19
    • my kids don't eat much at all.

I voted 8-10. DS eats a ridiculous amount of food but it's always the same thing: ham sandwich, carrots with homemade ranch, yogurt and crackers. Over and over and over. I'm desperately trying to get him to eat other things but so far it's not working.

Mine has always been a big, terrific eater but at 12 it just stopped being possible to keep enough food in the house. It's *ridiculous* how much he consumes. :)

Fwiw: he's quite slight at 5 feet and 80 pounds. But he's also super active and competes in various sports year round. He's also always been a been a very healthy eater.

My boys don't eat that much.  Calvin is 5'11" and only just gained enough weight to be allowed to donate blood.  

Hobbes is more active, but he only eats a bit more than we adults do - he's slim but not as skinny as Calvin.  For reference, he does about two hours of physical activity at school each week (not including changing clothes) and runs for an hour once or twice a week, as well as walking the dog a couple of miles a couple of times a week.

My ds, from the moment he was born. However, the amount he can consume steadily increased. When he started swimming competitively it took another jump.

From what I can see from my own children and friends children is the more active they are the greater the amount of food they consume.

• Like 1

My ds, from the moment he was born. However, the amount he can consume steadily increased. When he started swimming competitively it took another jump.

From what I can see from my own children and friends children is the more active they are the greater the amount of food they consume.

Idk. DS has active friends who nibble like little birds. None of his friends can believe how much he inhales.

My boys are both somewhat activity. 

Eldest can run 10Km in an less than an hour after a breakfast of two eggs and a small glass of milk. Then for lunch eat an apple, a burger and a dozen fries from a fast food restaurant and be full till late dinner. 

• Like 1

Around age 10, though I fully expect my boy to get worse in a few years. My budget is not looking forward to that.

My oldest DD is most likely is close to her full adult height and probably doesn't have more than another 5 lbs. of weight unless she either starts devoting herself to heavy-duty strength training to build muscle or goes off the rails with binge-eating junk.

Mine started doing that at 7 and continues to do so at 8. He is into 2 sports and plays outside with friends on top of that. So, he has a need to eat well spaced meals all through the day. The amazing thing is that the previously picky eater will eat all variety of food and vegetables now that he is hungry a lot. So, that definitely helped him diversify his food choices. I keep things that are easy to eat - whole grain crackers, cheese, nuts, dates, yoghurt, fruit, vegetable sticks, hummus etc. These help fulfill 2 of his meal requirements a day. He eats cooked food for 4 of his other meals. Totally 6 meals a day.

Edited by mathnerd

My nine year old eats a ton. But he'll sit and eat a few pounds of sweet peppers at one time. He's always ate a lot and loves vegetables. My six year old can be convinced to eat his dinner, but only if he knows he'll get a treat. He's much more of a snacker and prefers cookies, crackers, etc. The two year old is a typical toddler.

Not quite there yet.  (12, 10, and 6.5)

All 3 of mine would eat unending unhealthiness if I'd let them.  But I don't.  :lol:  They also seem to eat most in the morning, a pretty decent sized lunch, and then less at dinner.

Except Astro.  He would eat all day.

Astro began asking for third helpings on occasion a couple years ago.  It's gotten more frequent over time.  He almost never eats just his first plate of food.  During soccer season, he eats more.  So it could be that Link never does it, but Astro probably will.  :lol:

I have always thought my DS's appetite spurts were crazy.  And then he turned 11 and literally started being hungry ALL. THE. TIME.  As in, he'll eat a burger and fries with a milkshake when we're out for dinner, and by the time we get home an hour later he's digging through the pantry looking for the graham crackers and peanut butter.  

He has been exactly on pace with growth as his best friend who is two years older than him.  So age is really not indicative, I don't think.  I really thought I had a few years yet when his friend started shooting up.  But then DS followed suit!  He's grown a full foot in a year's time and has the appetite to prove it. 

My memory is foggy (kids ages in signature) but I still buy beans and rice in 25lb sacks and freak out if my freezer gets too empty.

My olders inherited their father's growth pattern: little shrimpy kids with food allergies and picky appetites until they kit puberty and then they caught up with the other kids FAST.

When ds was 13, he wasn't even five feet tall. He is close to six feet now and the mark on the measuring wall from 2007 is only about an inch lower than the most recent one.

My own growth pattern throughout childhood was more like pudgy one year, scrawny the next, repeat ad nauseum and it was a huge blow to my self-identity when I was no longer the tallest kid in my class, merely the tallest girl.

I still remember 13 as a horrible year of always being hungry. My mom rationed food and I was CONSTANTLY getting in trouble for stealing from her or my sister. I didn't want to be bad, I was just so hungry I couldn't help it.

I voted 14-16 because you meant boys.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You might want to consider keeping a stock of potatoes, rice, or something cheap but filling that your kids could fix for themselves and ration the more expensive stuff if finances allow.

Edited by Guest

Most people save for their kids' college years; we saved for the teen eating years. We called it the "Grocery IRA". (LOL)

When I had four teenage boys at home plus two younger ones, I could EASILY spend $350/week on groceries. And my boys are skinny as rails.

Eta: I voted 14-16.

My friend has 2 kids. When her boy, the eldest, went to college, their grocery bill cut in half. She said the college meal plan was a net win.

• Like 3

Each of my kids has been different.

The first (boy), not until about 13.

The second (girl), around 11.

The third (girl) is 12, and a good, not voracious, eater.

The fourth (boy) eats like a bird unless junk food is involved.

The fifth (boy) probably wasn't even 2 yet.  This kid is a TANK.  I'd say he'll eat until he explodes, but I don't think he's stopped in years and has yet to burst.  He probably has the most well-rounded diet of any of us, too.  Nothing's off limits.  He'll eat sushi, cow heart, insanely spicy cuisine, any vegetable but asparagus and brussel sprouts, and we haven't found a fruit he doesn't like.

My kids are only 9, but I noticed an increase in appetite in the past year.  Previously, we could go out to eat and all share one meal, maybe adding a side or two.  Now, they have to have their own.  And a couple months ago, they actually complained that their packed lunch wasn't sufficient.  That's something new!

I suppose it will get worse before it gets better ....

My oldest is 13, so I can't answer for anything older than that.   He eats about 2-3 times as much food (and much more calorie dense food) as I do, and 1.5-2 times as much as DH.   He's also very active - plays flag football/baseball/soccer (seasonally) and runs about 3 miles 3-4 times per week.    

My youngest is 11, and she's not as active as her brother, but she's gone through several growth spurts where she's just hungry all the time.   

Our grocery bill has gone up about 150% in the past 2 years.

I have girls who don't eat a huge amount. Disabled dd eats what we feed her. Middle dd eats what I think is a reasonable amount for a small adult female and makes pretty healthy choices. Youngest is way too picky and I don't think she's really hit the growth spurt stage, but I expect it any day! I don't expect any of them to ever "eat us out of house and home." 

If my kids are hungry, they don't complain.  Every so often they will ask for something between breakfast and lunch, but that is usually indicative of their breakfast choice.  They are allowed cheese, yogurt, nuts, or fruit if they are hungry then.  That is not to say that given the chance, my bigger twin couldn't eat me under a table (think diner breakfast orders).  I don't know what we will do if they start with the starving routine as I have 3 of them hitting growth spurts at once (well 2 for sure and I'm hoping the third before his little brother outgrows him).

Here, puberty and the accompanying growth spurt gave a real uptick in food consumption.

My 15 year old can easily eat double what I eat.  He is an athlete, though, and he is 6'3-4" and weighs 150.  I had to put darts in his 32-36 slim Levi jeans today because they fell off of his body.  I concentrate on quality protein and large amounts of it.

My 10 year old has started with the massive amounts.  Three sandwiches for lunch is not unusual.  At least a quart of milk per day.  He is 5 feet tall already but very skinny.  

My husband calls my 6 year old daughter a Hobbit....Breakfast, 11sies, lunch, several snacks in the afternoon, 1st dinner, 2nd dinner, she even wakes up in the middle of the night to eat something sometimes.  I think she burns more calories eating than she actually consumes.  Lots of fruits and veggies.

My son is 8, tall and slim. Tonight he ate three bowls of red lentil soup, several ounces of turkey, and what seemed like half a bag of black bean chips. And two brownies. Some mornings he has half a dozen buckwheat pancakes and several eggs.

It Has Begun.

For us, three boys, and the year the youngest boy was ten and oldest thirteen, it started getting really bad. Their nineteen year old sister once said, "I am afraid to be around at meal time. Watching them eat makes me think that they might gnaw on me too!"

It got worse every time one of them had a growth spurt, and one time all three went through a spurt at once. I think my life flashed before my eyes.

I personally think it is very wrong that colleges charge the same amount for meal plans for girls as they do for boys. It is making the girls unfairly support the eating habits of packs of marauding raptors looking for their next kill.

• Like 1

At the rate that they are eating, I may consider having them drop sports.

And limiting their physical play...and walking and probably want to cut down on them sitting up also.

They aren't growing taller, but suddenly every time I turn around we need food.

• Like 1

At the rate that they are eating, I may consider having them drop sports.

And limiting their physical play...and walking and probably want to cut down on them sitting up also.

They aren't growing taller, but suddenly every time I turn around we need food.

Well FWIW, my older kid is not in sports and he tries to move as little as possible.  It doesn't work.

:laugh:

• Like 1

My daughter is 14 and doesn't eat a lot.  I have 2 boys who just turned 13 and 14.  The boys kill my grocery bill.  My 14 year old is 5'11' and weighs 117 pounds.  He eats ALL THE TIME.  He's added 7 inches of height in a year and doesn't seem to be slowing down.  We've always had periods of time where they eat more (a month here or there), but in the past year there has been no sign of my oldest slowing down the amount he consumes.  I try to keep up and I shop frequently.

All of my kids play basketball.  They are really active and burn the calories quickly.  My sons are just starting to get into training to build strength/muscle.   

Edited by VeteranMom
  • Like 2