Menu

How long is the elementary school day where you live?

143 members have voted

1. 1. How long is the elementary school day where you live?

• Less than 6 hours
    • 6-6.5 hours
    • 6.5-7 hours
    • Longer than 7 hours

Just curious what's common: How long is the elementary school day where you live?

The public school district where I live is considering lengthening the school day for elementary students from 6.5 to 7 hours. Some parents are up in arms about this; they think the school day is long enough or too long already. Most of the counties around us already have a 7-hour school day for elementary, but that has increased over time. I think when I was an elementary student in this district, the school day was closer to 6 hours.

By sheer coincidence, I read an article today in the Washington Post about a "no-excuses" school in which students as young as kindergarten spend NINE hours each day! :svengo: Can't imagine what would happen if they tried something like THAT here!

The two public school systems are 7h30min and 8h, K-5th.  The lovely private school is 4-5h through 2nd grade, 6.5h through the end of elementary.

The public schools are why I advocate for a homework-less environment.  Children don't need a 40h work week and a requirement of overtime on top of that.  The general public would be up in arms if they were told they had to spend an extra 10 hours a week working from home on top of their office job.

• Like 5

7 hour days in public school. One charter school in the area has an 8 hour day (!!) but they are tri-lingual with daily PE so they need the extra time. And a friend who's kids used to attend cited the 1-2 hours of nightly homework as the main reason. Can't imagine an 8-hour school day, 1 hour + travel time (adjust for differing start starts for differing grades) AND looking forward to hours of homework!  Nope, took my kids off that wait list.

Growing up elementary was only 6 hours with more recess.  

Edited by J&JMom

Officially 7 hours, but there are a lot of early release days. (not one set day every week, but some Mondays, some Fridays, and the occasional Wednesday), so it probably is more like 6-6.5 hours on average.

Having said that, some schools have extended day programs for additional academics, especially in schools that have been turned over to charters due to low performance, and those do have more like 8+ hour days, plus often have additional instruction on Saturday. I've heard my former colleagues call them "Loan schools"-because NO ONE teaches in them except TFA and similar program teachers. It's just too many expected work hours for someone to do for more than a year or two, or to do if you have a spouse and children. It doesn't help any that the pay rate stinks (because such schools aren't subject to the negotiated contract between the district and the NEA), so unless you're getting your student loans paid off, it's not financially worth it.

• Like 1

...By sheer coincidence, I read an article today in the Washington Post about a "no-excuses" school in which students as young as kindergarten spend NINE hours each day! :svengo: Can't imagine what would happen if they tried something like THAT here!

Wow!   One of DD's friends can't play anymore on weekdays because she started K.  They get out at 3:30 pm, but don't get home until closer to 4:30 pm.  She comes home and goes into her room Alone to decompress.  Then comes out for dinner.  Then back to her room to be alone and do homework.  She's peopled out out by just a normal full day.  

9:05 - 3:30, with two short recesses and lunch, M,T, Th, F. 6.5 hours minus 30 minute lunch, 20 minute recess. They used to have two 15s and a 20 but I think they wanted to give the kids more time to eat and play in the middle.

Wednesdays are 9:05 - 1:10, lunch and one recess, no snack in the classroom either.

Lots of children end up paying for full-day "school" while their parents work, though. After school is 1 - 3 hours outside, remainder of the time split into homework /tutoring / game time, and indoor sports time, and a snack, until parent pick-up.

Middle school is 7:40 - 2:30 but there is free tutoring for an hour after school (basically, you choose the class you need help in and go sit there) and HS is 7:30 - 2:30, also with tutorial, but they are going to start later next year. Too bad about hours of light for sports and outdoors, but honestly, I think for our kids it will be a huge improvement. MS and HS also have early dismissal Wednesdays. But no weeks off for parent-teacher conferences: it's all outside the regular work day, thank god. In Seattle they take a week off, AND you have to come in during your own work day. I find this beyond irritating. I want my time off to be FUN time off!

The two public school systems are 7h30min and 8h, K-5th.  The lovely private school is 4-5h through 2nd grade, 6.5h through the end of elementary.

The public schools are why I advocate for a homework-less environment.  Children don't need a 40h work week and a requirement of overtime on top of that.  The general public would be up in arms if they were told they had to spend an extra 10 hours a week working from home on top of their office job.

I agree. I want my students to be kids, so I rarely send home any kind of work. I ask that they read 20 minutes a night and tonight they will take home a division math practice with only 5 problems on it. But, even those math papers are rare. 

I'd rather they play and be kids. Besides, if they can do it in my classroom, why do I need to make them doing it again at home? 

This is just one of the reasons why I want to homeschool.

• Like 3

Regarding homework, I taught K last year.  The only homework they had started half way through the year and it was just reading. No set amount of time or page length.  Just practice reading for however long you wanted/needed.  My parent review at the end of the year came back saying parents wish I'd assigned more homework.  I was shocked! I thought people would be happy not to have to deal with homework for their Ker.  I would occasionally send home game activities for skills practice but most kids said they never did them.  

Edited by UCF612

Regarding homework, I taught K last year.  The only homework they had started half way through the year and it was just reading. No set amount of time or page length.  Just practice reading for however long you wanted/needed.  My parent review at the end of the year came back saying parents wish I'd assigned more homework.  I was shocked! I thought people would be happy not to have to deal with homework for their Ker.  I would occasionally send home game activities for skills practice but most kids said they never did them.  

There is a mom who just moved here who has pulled her 3yo out of two preschools already because they didn't assign homework even though they said they were "curriculum based".  All they do is play all day!

To many parents, homework=serious academic environment.  Serious academic environment = the best that a kid can get.  There is no inbetween or different method of teaching/learning.

• Like 2

Years 1 to 6 (k to 5). Kids can arrive from 8.15 and play outside but school starts at 9. Finish is at 3. Breaks are 10.30 to 10.50 and 12.30 to 1.30. Kids eat and play outside unless it is raining.

Years 7/8 8.45 to 2.45. I think lunch breaks etc are the same but they eat in their homeroom. High school, years 9 to 13 (8th to 12th). 8.45 to 3.15. As far as i know the breaks are the same and everyone eats outside but i don't have kids that age.

So 6 hours including breaks for primary/intermediate and 6.5 for secondary.

Years 1 to 6 (k to 5). Kids can arrive from 8.15 and play outside but school starts at 9. Finish is at 3. Breaks are 10.30 to 10.50 and 12.30 to 1.30. Kids eat and play outside unless it is raining.

Years 7/8 8.45 to 2.45. I think lunch breaks etc are the same but they eat in their homeroom. High school, years 9 to 13 (8th to 12th). 8.45 to 3.15. As far as i know the breaks are the same and everyone eats outside but i don't have kids that age.

So 6 hours including breaks for primary/intermediate and 6.5 for secondary.

In contrast, the K-5 here start at 7:30 and go to 3:00.  Break is 9:15-9:30 and lunch from 11:00-11:30.  Kids come to school and eat a mandatory breakfast at their desks, but lunch in the cafeteria.

High school here goes from 8:00-4:00, with a 40 minute lunch at 12:00.

ETA: Playing outside before school is discouraged because there is no aide on duty at that hour.  Students go directly to their classrooms.

Edited by HomeAgain

My parent review at the end of the year came back saying parents wish I'd assigned more homework. I was shocked! I thought people would be happy not to have to deal with homework for their Ker.

My local public school did not send any classwork back for K. Parents end up estimating what is being taught by homework.

Homework is optional and my oldest's K teacher gave for weekly homework

- handwriting practice using the spelling words

- two page of Math Minutes

- book report

- reading log (for parent to fill and sign off)

The homework comes home on Monday afternoon and is returned on Monday morning.

Wow, I had no idea that there was such a range in times!

Based on the other comments, our local elementary is on the long side.  When my kids were there (we pulled them in 3rd and 1st grade) the day started at 8 and ended at 3:10. The day was extended in the current school year to a dismissal time of 3:25.  So the kids are at school for almost 7.5 hours, not counting drop off and pick up times.  I think middle school and high school have similar hours, but different start and dismissal times.

What made the original time even harder for us was that my 3rd grader had a couple of hours of homework every night between reading logs and math/science homework worksheets and spelling word practice.  It made for really long days.  Kinder was a full day, too, which was fine for my daughter but really hard on my son.

9 am to 3pm with about 1.5 hours of lunch/break/play/recess in there - usually 20 - 30 min at at 1030 and 1 hour 1230 - 130 (eat lunch then go and play).  Some schools have a different break arrangement, but all about the same time.  So 4.5 hours of class time. 

The bus here picks up the elementary students at 7:50 and brings them home at 3:50.  I think the day starts around 8:30 because I see my neighbors who drive their kids leave at about 8:25, and we're only a couple of miles from the school, and there's no traffic.  The high school bus drops kids off at about 3:15, and assuming they share buses with the elementary school, I guess that means the elementary gets out around 3:30, so that would be 7 hours.

Not sure about Kindergarten.  It used to be that it was half day, but after the first month, they'd identify any students who needed extra help, and those students would stay for the full day.  They might be full day now.

The school day here is right at 7 hours in elementary school.

My sister lives in a rural school district across the country. Her kids have a pretty long day but they only go to school 4 days per week. I'm not sure how long the actual school day is because they ride the bus but they are gone from the house from 7:30-4. Their bus ride is about 15 minutes after school but I'm not sure about before school.

When I was a kid, school went from 9am to 3pm with half an hour for morning recess and an hour for lunch, so 4.5 hours of actual class time. Our local public school is maybe 15 or 20 minutes longer, same times but slightly shorter breaks. I know some private schools have a little more time again, but I haven't ever heard of a primary school (that's up to grade 6) going longer than 6.5 hours. I would suspect that we're behind the times (we usually are down here in Tasmania). I would also suspect that increasing hours have little to do with educational outcomes and lots to do with convenience for working parents who will not have to pay for after school childcare if school can be gradually stretched out to fill the entire working day.

Edited by IsabelC
  • Like 3

6 hours and 15 minutes.  They have cut back significantly.  A few years ago they were in for 7.5 hours.  They claimed this was necessary and the best thing for the kids.  Then when the economy was rough they kept cutting back more and more.  They never said it was for that reason, but that it was what was necessary and best for the kids.  I believe it was a money issue.  I think 7.5 hours is too much though.

I didn't vote, because I don't want to skew the results.

Kids here go 8:00-4:00, but the longer day is because school is only 4 days per week.

That includes lunch, PE, and at least 2 recess times for elementary. I know the MS kids have 1 30 minute recess, but I don't remember if they get 2 recesses.

Our school district went to 4-day weeks back in the oil crunch of the 1970's and never went back. Every few years there is talk of going to 5 day week, but most people prefer the 4-day week.

Edited by City Mouse

8:50 to 3:10 so 6 hr 20 min, but not all of that is considered instructional time. For K, about 2 hrs is in recess, lunch, unstructured activity time, and rest time.  That time goes down each year (I think by the end they've only got 1 hr for recess and lunch).

My son's school starts at 7:45 and gets out at 2:35, so just under 7 hours. Instruction does not begin until 8am and there are 25 minutes for lunch and 20 for recess, so that makes for about 6 hours of academic instruction. I think that's too much. My son is in 5th grade this year, and they don't have their recess until the end of the day, so he has about 6 hours of school with no break except for lunch. It's been really hard for him. I'm seriously considering sending my daughter  (who will be in K next year) to a private school next year which, among other advantages, has four recesses a day, including lunch outside whenever weather permits. I wish I could get that in a public school.

8am to 3pm. Which is completely nuts.

Back home, 1st graders are done by 11am. 4th graders are home by noon.

When I student taught (back in the 90's), the school had a tiered school day (along w/generous recess and PE). In that school district:

Kindergarten was 2.5 hours

1st grade was 5 hours

2nd-5th was 6 hours

It's the only time I've ever seen a public school system here do anything like that, but it was wonderful. I wish the idea would spread.

• Like 1

The school my kids would be zoned for here in Cypress, TX goes from about 8:50 to 4:00, so about 7 hours, I guess. But the neighbor boy who goes gets on the bus at 8:30am and doesnt get off in the afternoon until 4:30pm. That just seems so LONG to me! I would miss my daughter too much.  :crying: