Menu

Have you read the entire bible front to back? (CC content)

Mama Geek

Bible reading poll  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Have you read the entire bible

• Yes, in a methodical way over a set period of time.
    • Yes, in bits and pieces and I am sure I have read it all.
    • No, have read most of it but probably not all
    • No, and haven't read most of it.
    • Other (just because)
    • No, but am reading it all the way through for the first time now.

Joining the group that is reading the bible in 90 days got me to thinking I wonder how many have read the bible cover to cover.  I'll admit until now i have skipped around and read large chunks at times, but I am sure that I probably have missed parts of it.  By the way I am learning tons, by reading an hour a day in order to read the whole bible in 90 days.  So here is the poll.

Yes, several times over. I like bible reading systems and Prof Horner's has been my absolute favorite for reading through the entirety of the bible but in a way that helps me contrast and compare scripture with itself in new ways each day.

Over the years I read bits and pieces, sticking mainly with the new testament.  I  decided to read the whole thing and last year did the one year bible read along with Mike of the One Year Bible blog and stuck to it everyday. So yes, I can finally say I've read the bible from cover to cover.  It was such an eye opening experience - especially the old testament.  This year I decided to do a lectio divina and concentrate on Luke. 

• Like 1

I've both read it from beginning to end and read it through many times by choosing one book at a time to read through. I admit to reading through the New Testament many, many more times than the Old however-except for Psalms and Proverbs. I really, really need to read from the Old Testament more.

• Like 1

I endeavored to read it all, front to end, a couple different times and another time with a reading plan that was not front-to-back, but chunks that grouped themes. I have not completed any of these projects, though. On straight-thrus, I stopped in Isaiah or Ezekiel (I mean really, Zeke, that is some bizarre literary style you got goin' on there...); on the theme method, I read a heck of a lot, but did not finish the program. So, probably pretty close to the entire thing, but no, not successfully all.

• Like 1

How did you do this, Margaret? Read aloud?

Not Margaret, but our kids are already reading through scripture book by book. It's what we begin once they're reading reasonably well. My oldest has done five books of bible study (she's almost done with Psalms) and my second oldest is in her second book. We find chipping away at it a little each day, one or two chapters a day, works well for this age. If they were older I'd have them go through a higher volume :)

Yes, several times, in several translations, using year-long Bible plans through the You Version Bible app.   I'm currently reading the ESV version on the Chronological Bible plan, which orders the events in rough chronological order, so Psalms written by David were scattered throughout the passages about David's life; Proverbs was interspersed with Solomon's life, etc.   I just finished Isaiah.

I was inspired to start reading the Bible through each year when I found my great-grandmother's Bible.   She read through the Bible and wrote each year that she completed it in the back of her Bible - 27 times.   I knew her when she was in her 80's and very feeble, and by then she could no longer read, but listened to the Bible every day on cassette tape.

• Like 2

Yes, several times over. I like bible reading systems and Prof Horner's has been my absolute favorite for reading through the entirety of the bible but in a way that helps me contrast and compare scripture with itself in new ways each day.

what is the system behind this one?

• Like 1

Yes, more than once, in more than one version, and including the deuterocanonical material (covered that as part of an Episcopalian Education for Ministry course in my 20s). My daughter has also read the material all the way through in a bit of a different way. I had her do a Biblical literacy course last summer (age 13) and as part of that she read the Tanakh (so the order of the books differed from a Christian Bible), a Protestant New Testament, and the deuterocanonical material from a Roman Catholic Bible.

what is the system behind this one?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Prof-Horners-Bible-Reading-System/148160145252358

It's a bookmark system. You read a chapter per day from each bookmark until you reach the end of that particular list, then you move the bookmark back to the beginning of that section. The sections aren't the same size, so one day you may be reading Proverbs , Luke, Ezekiel, and Exodus together, but the next time you hit Proverbs you may be reading it next to chapters from Galations, Acts, Judges, and Revelation. It's amazing how new and awesome the verses are when they're in combination with other chapters from scripture. The way the bible affirms itself is really amazing and this system made it a lot richer to me.

I started on it at some point, and made it through all the 'begets', but not a whole lot further iirc (that was over 12 years ago, don't remember which translation other than that it was a somewhat old-fashioned Dutch translation). On other occasions I'd already read some of the later chapters. I voted 'other' because I'm not sure whether I've read most of it or not. I think I may have read a children's bible in totality, but that doesn't really count since it's so very abridged.

I've read it all the way through, in a systematic way, 3 times.  Each of those times was following a "Bible in a Year" plan.  I don't know that I will try to read it in a year next year.  I knew someone who gave me a lot of guilt over not reading the Bible all the way through every year.  She was proud to tell me she'd done it 25 times. One day I figured out that she'd started when she was in her 50's - and all her kids were long grown and gone.  At that time, I had two small kids I was homeschooling.  So, I let go of that guilt!

Even when not doing a Bible-in-a-Year thing, I try to read every day. 

I started on it at some point, and made it through all the 'begets', but not a whole lot further iirc (that was over 12 years ago, don't remember which translation other than that it was a somewhat old-fashioned Dutch translation). On other occasions I'd already read some of the later chapters. I voted 'other' because I'm not sure whether I've read most of it or not. I think I may have read a children's bible in totality, but that doesn't really count since it's so very abridged.

That's how far I got as a kid, too! When I became catholic, I'd heard from umpteen sources that the catholic mass goes through the bible every three years. I still find things I don't recall. Either they don't really go through the whole thing, or I paid attention less than I thought. Probably the latter. Then there are things that catch my attention now that didn't then.

My husband and I read through it together one year. We read aloud to each other, a few chapters a night. We were able to mostly stay on the schedule we had, but occasionally had to double up some nights. We used a Bible with some footnotes and such, but not one of the extensive Study Bibles that we now have.

It was enjoyable and we both learned a lot, although dh knew a lot more about it going in than I did. I grew up in church, but as we read, I realized that almost all of what I knew about the Bible was in Genesis and Exodus, with a few other Old Testament stories thrown in, and the Gospels. I knew next to nothing of the most of the rest. I didn't even know, for example, that Ephesians was written to the church at Ephesus, etc. Dh, on the other hand, grew up in a family where his grandfather and father were both preachers. Not seminary-trained, but old fashioned Southern-style put-the-fear-of-God-in-you preachers. 

Speaking of the begets... when you read the Bible, do you read each and every one, or do you skim?

I read them carefully and thoughtfully once, now I read them as more of a skim. The purpose of them a establishing direct lineage through history, is one I believe and agree with. It's beautiful. But I don't have to correctly pronounce every name to see that, so after studying it carefully now I just read through them more lightly.

I read a daily bible that was set up chronologically straight through. Right now I'm hopping around with the goal of reading the entire bible but I kind of alternate between OT and NT. I found a handy app, Bible Log, to help me keep track of what I've read.

I've found that just for reading I really like the NLT version but I use several different (mostly NIV 84) versions for bible study.

Joining the group that is reading the bible in 90 days got me to thinking I wonder how many have read the bible cover to cover.  I'll admit until now i have skipped around and read large chunks at times, but I am sure that I probably have missed parts of it.  By the way I am learning tons, by reading an hour a day in order to read the whole bible in 90 days.  So here is the poll.

Cover to cover at least 6 times, probably more, but that's what I could recollect for counting at the moment.

• Like 2

That's how far I got as a kid, too! When I became catholic, I'd heard from umpteen sources that the catholic mass goes through the bible every three years. I still find things I don't recall. Either they don't really go through the whole thing, or I paid attention less than I thought. Probably the latter. Then there are things that catch my attention now that didn't then.

It is my understanding (someone, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm too tired to google search tonight.) that the Catholic Mass thing is correct when you are referencing all Masses (that is, weekday Masses and Sunday Masses).

I've never read it cover to cover straight through.

• Like 2

It is my understanding (someone, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm too tired to google search tonight.) that the Catholic Mass thing is correct when you are referencing all Masses (that is, weekday Masses and Sunday Masses).

I've never read it cover to cover straight through.

Well now that makes sense!

Yes, multiple times. And now that I have an Orthodox Study Bible, I recently finished all the books of the Septuagint that I hadn't read before.

I love, Love, LOVE reading Scripture. The more I read and soak it in, the more I want to read. I'm also inspired by St. Seraphim of Sarov who read the NT through weekly. It makes me realize my efforts are pretty puny and I have a ton of room for growth!

• Like 3

I have read the entire Bible twice. Once, I read it front to end. Once, I read it more by section--pentateuch, prophets, etc.

And this of course does not include daily Bible study and what was read in church and used to prepare Bible study, which I believe was heavily biased towards Daniel, Ruth, John, Corinthians, Philippians, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, and a few chapters of Genesis.

I don't feel I don't remember huge chunks. Numbers was a pain. Ezra, Nehemiah, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Micah, Nahum, Habakuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zachariah, Malachi. I memorized all the names at one time. Those do not stick out in my mind as things I could describe in retrospect, 10 years later.

The other books, I can still talk circles around the missionaries who stop by. I remember them well. I memorized III John because it was short and several chapters of Philippians. Maybe one of the Peters? I forget now.

I read the begets aloud or at least moving my lips so I wouldn't skim. Probably should have done that with my statistics textbooks in college as well.

A friend shared with me that each time she finishes a book, she records the date at the end of it in her bible and writes a little journal entry. The entries are something like sowed the carrots in the garden today or planning for our trip to Mexico or whatever. I like that so much and do that as well now. 

• Like 2

I became an evangelical Christian almost 30 years ago, in college, and while I read the Bible a lot, I'm not sure I read it straight through.  Nor am I sure I've read every single word reading books here and there.  Now as an Orthodox Christian, if I read, I mostly follow the reading plan set forth by the Church (there are daily Epistle and Gospel readings) and then in our homeschool we do a reading of a section each school day.  I asked the head reader at our parish if we as Orthodox Christians go through the entire Bible through these regular readings, and he said no, especially not the Old Testament.  We do a lot of the New Testament, but not all of it.  That was never a goal in the early church apparently, since the Scriptures were/are not the foundation of the faith.  For me, in our tradition, I'd probably say attending services regularly and doing daily prayers regularly is more as a goal than making sure to read through the Scriptures completely several times.  I become more like Christ through these things, I think. 

• Like 2

I've read it both cover to cover and chronologically.  I've also read the whole thing by having an individual book checklist and picking books as I want to read them.

I definitely read all the begets.  I like to ponder about the person behind each name - wondering what they were like (if they weren't known as much) and if they had any idea that they would be remembered (a little bit) by people thousands of years later.  Then I tend to wonder who is alive now that will be remembered thousands of years later in some way or fashion, but my mind wanders like that!

I'll admit to skimming some of the tabernacle construction sections and rules for what is worn, etc, though.  Those are areas that get boring to me.

I love many of the minor prophets - like Amos. Many of these address issues we deal with today.  It supports my theory that humans have not really changed over the years.   I also love Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and many NT letters.  Ditto on the humans not changing bit.

• Like 4

No, and I tried 3 times. I finally decided I wasn't smart enough to cipher it. I don't know why it's such a tough read but I just can't figure out what's happening most of the time. I stuck to the passages read aloud and interpreted by my minister for his sermons. It was easier having someone explain it and put it into a context that makes sense to me.

After a long time of not being interested in spiritual things, I read through the New Testament twice in entirety before I started attending church again.  I wanted to be able to understand what was from the Bible and what was not.  

Since then I have read Old and New all the way through.  Basically the Old Testament just has the function of making me *so grateful* for Jesus.  (Just expressing, not looking for debate there..)

• Like 1

Speaking of the begets... when you read the Bible, do you read each and every one, or do you skim?

I read every single one when I was teenager and I was all ambitious and was sure that reading every word would be this transformative experience. When it wasn't, it was kind of damaging to my faith. I think this over emphasis on daily Bible reading is kind of damaging to some people.

• Like 1

I've read it all several times, usually with a checklist so I could move around to different books and not get bogged down with one long section.  I've also once done a "start at the beginning and go through," with a one-year program, but I deliberately planned to do it in 2 instead of one.   This was a good amount for me.

I love the OT because it plays so much into the NT.    There is a surprising amount of GRACE in it, too, from times when people allied themselves to Abraham because they knew God was with him to Rahab and other individual even though they were not Jewish to the patience with which God bore Israel's sin against Himself.   It always surprises me when people say they see a vengeful God in the OT, because so much of the OT is full of how God cares for people and forgives them over and over.

• Like 2

I've read it all the way through, in a systematic way, 3 times.  Each of those times was following a "Bible in a Year" plan.  I don't know that I will try to read it in a year next year.  I knew someone who gave me a lot of guilt over not reading the Bible all the way through every year.  She was proud to tell me she'd done it 25 times. One day I figured out that she'd started when she was in her 50's - and all her kids were long grown and gone.  At that time, I had two small kids I was homeschooling.  So, I let go of that guilt!

Even when not doing a Bible-in-a-Year thing, I try to read every day. 

Hey, it didn't get written in a year, either. :)

• Like 4

Yes, but that was years ago and since then I've learned so much more!  :)   Still so much more to learn!  

I'd like to again but perhaps in a different approach this time. 

My uncle read the Bible in it's entirety many times.  He was such a wonderful, godly man and I miss him.

Several times.

I did a year through the Bible twice (Gen-Rev) . I read it chronologically another time.

I also read bits and pieces almost every day for nearly 20 years.

I've read the NT in three languages.

French/English/German