Menu

JAWM please. stressed and upset

Halcyon

DS10 and i have been planning a road trip to savannah for weeks. We have an airbnb all set up, then heard yesterday that the AC at the airbnb was broken and we might have to stay in a hotel. okay, breathe, no big deal. thankfully, that got resolved. We left this morning at 9 am and DS10 was so excited. About 40 minutes from home, someone swerved into us, we swerved and luckily were not hit, but a warning light went on in our new prius. I pulled over at the next rest stop, and our back tire was totally flat. I must have swerved into something. Called AAA, waited an hour, he replaced it with donut. Told us to go to a tires plus and have the screw removed and patched at the nearest Tires Plus. Ok, no problem. Got on the road....the WRONG WAY. As in, heading home. No exit for 30 miles. Sigh. Got off, found a Tires Plus, and now 4 hours after our original departure in a 5 hour trip, we are sitting in a tires plus 30 minutes from home waiting for our tire to be patched.

I know in the scheme of life this is not a big deal. But as some of you know, I have been dealing with a lot of stuff healthwise and was so looking forward to a wonderful, stress-free, mini break with my little guy (who, btw, is handling this a lot better than me.)

I need a glass of wine or something. Obviously, with 4-5 more hours ahead of us on the road, that is not happening.  :glare:  :glare:

Breathe.

• Like 9

:grouphug:   Om my goodness!  That sounds like something that would happen to us!  Never a dull moment, even when you desperately want one.  Hang in there!  Once you get back on the road, take your time and try to enjoy the trip.  It won't be today, but this will make for an amusing story in the future.   :grouphug:

• Like 1

thanks ladies. at least the tires plus has free wifi right? I am trying not to cry right now. I am being so silly.

You are not being silly.  (I know you know this.)  You've got a serious case of disappointment -- as would anyone.  And you'll breathe a bit,  shake it off, find ways to connect with little guy while you wait, and then get on with it. 

Hugs, Halcyon!

• Like 1

:grouphug: Sometimes it just pours. I hope you manage to have a good rest of the trip. Is it convenient to treat yourselves to a great audiobook to listen to in the car (from a bookstore nearby maybe)? At times like these, we resort to ice cream and a comforting book (and hopefully a good night's rest when you reach your destination after all that driving).

I agree with a pp...this would make a great story some day.

ETA: I just realized...you guys avoided an accident! Wow. Your heart must have been racing! Hugs again.

• Like 5

What a PITA! I hope the rest of your trip is smooth sailing. We did a night ghost tour in Savannah that was cheesy fun if you need another activity.

Coming down off the adrenaline after the near-collision would have me weepy too. Don't feel silly!

• Like 3

Well, you should be to Savannah by the evening, which is a really lovely time of day there.

Hugs & hang in there. Hopefully this will be the extent of travel issues & the rest of your trip will be wonderful & refreshing.

ETA: I agree with Zoobie -- adrenaline let-down can definitely make you feel weepy & shaky. Take it slow& easy for the rest of the day & be kind to yourself.

• Like 2

That sounds very stressful and I would absolutely feel like crying right now.  I am so glad that you are all ok and the fix is not a huge big deal.

And :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:  to you for NOT just going home.  I am really proud of you that you are continuing on your way.  I hope you have a wonderful time in Savannah.

• Like 1

Whew!  What a stunner of a morning!

We've had trips that started off like that (namely, a window rolled down that wouldn't roll back up at all...right before we were supposed to get on the interstate!)

Hope everything is resolved quickly so you can enjoy a relaxing time!

• Like 1

I've totally had those days, and I'm wanting to cuss but trying to model a Mature Reaction for my kids.  (Though, sometimes I just say F it and cuss away.)

You'll feel better once you get to your destination.  Treat yourself to a pit stop for something tasty on the way.

• Like 1

Can you convince yourself that you had an appointment for tires this morning and that when you do get on the road, *that* was the time you always meant to leave so all's good?

Probably not, I know. Sometimes when we're irritatingly late, I try some self talk like that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm SO glad neither of you were hurt!!

• Like 5

DS10 and i have been planning a road trip to savannah for weeks. We have an airbnb all set up, then heard yesterday that the AC at the airbnb was broken and we might have to stay in a hotel. okay, breathe, no big deal. thankfully, that got resolved. We left this morning at 9 am and DS10 was so excited. About 40 minutes from home, someone swerved into us, we swerved and luckily were not hit, but a warning light went on in our new prius. I pulled over at the next rest stop, and our back tire was totally flat. I must have swerved into something. Called AAA, waited an hour, he replaced it with donut. Told us to go to a tires plus and have the screw removed and patched at the nearest Tires Plus. Ok, no problem. Got on the road....the WRONG WAY. As in, heading home. No exit for 30 miles. Sigh. Got off, found a Tires Plus, and now 4 hours after our original departure in a 5 hour trip, we are sitting in a tires plus 30 minutes from home waiting for our tire to be patched.

I know in the scheme of life this is not a big deal. But as some of you know, I have been dealing with a lot of stuff healthwise and was so looking forward to a wonderful, stress-free, mini break with my little guy (who, btw, is handling this a lot better than me.)

I need a glass of wine or something. Obviously, with 4-5 more hours ahead of us on the road, that is not happening.  :glare:  :glare:

Breathe.

That really vacuums! :(

hugs

Hope the rest of the trip is a blast.

• Like 1

When bad things happen on trips -- and we travel often w/ dh's job -- I break out "the silly." We do crazy, fun stuff like eat donuts for dinner or buy a fun cd from a local Target -- or even a book on tape.

Talk to your DS about this trip and how he'll talk about it for the rest of his life!!

We just throw up our hands and do everything we can to have fun -- when everything is going wrong.

Hang in there,

Alley

• Like 3

Oh man. That totally stinks. You definitely deserve a grown-up pacifier once you turn in for the night!

I would totally go the wrong way, too. Dh says I drive with blinders on. Recently I missed the exit to *my own home* on the way home from Costco! Nine tons of perishable food in the car and I drive another unnecessary 30 minutes!

• Like 2

What a PITA! I hope the rest of your trip is smooth sailing. We did a night ghost tour in Savannah that was cheesy fun if you need another activity.

Coming down off the adrenaline after the near-collision would have me weepy too. Don't feel silly!

Do you know which one you did? my son would love this.

So we arrived at 8:30 pm. Expected time was 3:00 pm. So.....a little late. I am utterly exhausted, but the AirBNB is perfect and we found a little japanese restuarant nearby and enjoyed some shumai and udon noodles. Now we are watching Iron Man (and I am having that glass of wine)

Thank you everyone for listening to me wine. I mean whine. LOL.

• Like 15

Well, DS and I have concluded that I would be an awful contestant on The Amazing Race. One wrong turn, one missed flight connection, and I'd be like "Ok, that's it, we're done, let's go home." Or I'd yell at my co-contestant and then dissolve in a puddle on the ground. 

• Like 7

Well, then don't sign up for The Amazing Race. Lol. But, DO enjoy your time in Savannah. And enjoy a ghost tour too. Sounds like you will have a blast.

Glad you have arrived safely, found a tasty dinner, & are relaxing this evening.

• Like 4

Well, DS and I have concluded that I would be an awful contestant on The Amazing Race. One wrong turn, one missed flight connection, and I'd be like "Ok, that's it, we're done, let's go home." Or I'd yell at my co-contestant and then dissolve in a puddle on the ground. 

Oh how I love Amazing  Race!!!!!

I am not smart enough to be a contestant on that show, but I love watching it!

Do you know which one you did? my son would love this.

So we arrived at 8:30 pm. Expected time was 3:00 pm. So.....a little late. I am utterly exhausted, but the AirBNB is perfect and we found a little japanese restuarant nearby and enjoyed some shumai and udon noodles. Now we are watching Iron Man (and I am having that glass of wine)

Thank you everyone for listening to me wine. I mean whine. LOL.

It was nearly 10 years ago. I looked at the travel sites, but I don't see any that look familiar. Sorry! Blue Orb seems to get good reviews.