Menu

Worst spring break ever.

Plateau Mama

Two Saturdays ago my 14 dd took a softball pitch to the head. She sustained a concussion and missed all or part of school M, T, W. We had off Th & F for start of spring break. She was cleared F and off total brain rest etc.

Easter morning my 12 yo son isn't feeling well saying his stomach hurts so we leave him home from church. While we are gone he starts throwing up and continues all day. Monday he says his stomach really hurts. My husband thinks muscles are just sore. That evening I'm watching him and clearly the pain is something more so I make DH take him to urgent care.

They send him to ER (same building). There they discover it's an appendicitis. Transfer him by ambulance to the hospital 20 minutes away. All the Dr.'s assure us that since he's only had symptoms for two days we caught it early and it won't be a big deal.

Tuesday morning, his 13th birthday, they operate. Turns out it was very close to leaking or rupturing. (I am thinking the headaches he had all last week were symptoms.) Dr says that he will be here Longer than the two days we talked about. Plan for a week, at least. They want 5 days of antibiotics just in case.

Tuesday night he starts throwing up. All. Night. Long. Wednesday evening they put a tube up his nose that is supposed to drain everything from his stomach so he won't throw up. Well it wasn't t working and he threw up a ton and it was dark green. (Very alarming to see.)

Tube will stay in until tomorrow and they will try liquids by mouth late tomorrow/early Saturday. We can't even talk going home until he can keep solids down. (He hasn't kept anything down since Saturday) On the plus side he was able to get out of bed today and walk around some.

Poor kid. All he wanted was to go to the aquarium for his birthday and play with his new friend from school.

• Like 3

Ah, poor guy! Hugs to you, I'm sure you are exhausted!

I am. Son has insisted I be the one to stay the night. So I've been here each night. Actually I have only been home for a couple of hours yesterday. Today I couldn't handle the hospital anymore so while Dh and dh watched a movie I went to the college campus across the street and walked around. It was so nice just to be outside.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:  Agreeing with others that you win the award - sorry! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Now, with time on your hands and predicting a full recovery for both kids (adding prayers for that too), you are planning some sort of prize for your award, correct?  A trip would be on my agenda (planned for once recovery was complete).  That aquarium visit sounds like it has to be in there - and ice cream or the edible treat of your choice.

It can help (mentally) to have something to look forward to IME, so this suggestion is only mildly in jest. ;)

• Like 4

Oh my goodness, how awful. It will certainly rate as one of your most memorable spring breaks that you'll be talking about for years to come.

Hugs to all of you. It will eventually end, and you can do the aquarium and other fun things (like get some sleep).

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Agreeing with others that you win the award - sorry! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Now, with time on your hands and predicting a full recovery for both kids (adding prayers for that too), you are planning some sort of prize for your award, correct? A trip would be on my agenda (planned for once recovery was complete). That aquarium visit sounds like it has to be in there - and ice cream or the edible treat of your choice.

It can help (mentally) to have something to look forward to IME, so this suggestion is only mildly in jest. ;)

My husband asked me where I wanted to go on vacation. I said I'm afraid to go anywhere anymore. This would have been so much worse had we traveled for the break. We were talking about doing a cruise or Hawaii!

But I do think my littlest and I are taking another week off and having some fun one DH can return to school.

• Like 3

Dr. Just left and I could just cry. He says it could be another week! We are waiting for his intestines to wake up from surgery. Until

This happens he cannot tolerate food. No food. No home.

Normally this happens a day or two after surgery. Can be up to two weeks. :-(. In very rare cases they have to go back.

Dr. Just left and I could just cry. He says it could be another week! We are waiting for his intestines to wake up from surgery. Until

Normally this happens a day or two after surgery. Can be up to two weeks. :-(. In very rare cases they have to go back.

More  :grouphug:  and prayers.  Sorry for the news you got.

:grouphug: They do have to prepare you for the worst case scenario but we'll hope that it is much sooner. :grouphug:

I hope that your exchange student has been more understanding and sympathetic. I'm a bit ticked off on your behalf!

Yeah, well I thought worst case scenario was saying a week vs 2 days. We are offically going to be here a week. I guess we are now on the worst, worst case sceniaro, with a mention of the worst, worst, worst case scenario that so rare that it's not an issue. (Which would be another procedure in a week.)

Both my mom and dad had similar surgeries and it took more than a few days for their intestines to start working again, but it definitely wasn't weeks! I want to say it was around four days, but it was years ago so I don't remember for sure. It was absolutely not a whole week, though.

I agree with Jean that they are preparing you for the worst -- but I'm sure they don't expect it to take that long.

Is he able to move around at all, or at least sit up quite a bit?

I agree with Jean that they are preparing you for the worst -- but I'm sure they don't expect it to take that long.

Is he able to move around at all, or at least sit up quite a bit?

Today is day 4.

He can sit up. We are trying to get him to walk but he doesn't like it. I think it's more embarrassment having to wear the gown etc than pain. Daddy is on duty tonight so I can spend time with the other kids and get a good night sleep. Hopefully he can get him up more.

• Like 1