Menu

How long does your 5th-7th grader spend on math each day?

12 yr old does 60 (minimum) to 90 minutes a day, doing both bookwork and online (Alcumus).

10 year old does 30 (minimum) to 60 a day, doing both bookwork and online (DreamBox). He does 3 pages of BA, and then works in DreamBox for a little while.

5th graders--both doing CLE 500 and Singapore Word Problems (one Process Skills, the other CWP) daily.

One takes 30 minutes at the most I think. He does a CLE lesson and 4-6 Singapore CWP a day. He works on math while I work with his twin. I know he spends a lot of that time reading books.

The other takes at least an hour. We split it into two "sessions" daily. He does one CLE lesson and 2 Process Skills word problems each day. He takes a lot of time due to inattention. His twin is much more focused.

I had a typical time spent differential with Singapore math before our switch to CLE.

My take? The time spent doesn't matter to me. If child A is accomplishing my math goals for him in under 30 minutes, that's great.

We are tinkering with this...I was under the impression AoPs would take all hours of all the days but that hasn't proved to be the case here. It's also not enough for my particular DS. I'm waiting for supplement books to arrive but in the meantime doing Aops prealgebra 2 class, along with "old" topics in alcumus along with some khan academy. It should take 1.5 hrs a day but really it's more like 45 min.

My 6th grader is doing MM5B and spends anything from 10 minutes to an hour, probably 30 minutes on average, plus any extras such as math computer games, stories, etc. We do math 365 days a year, though, so I guess we'd spend longer if we only did 5 days per week and/or took vacations.

7th grader spends about 2 hrs. The first half hour is going through yesterday's work and if necessary fixing errors, then about another half hour on the new lesson and examples and oral problems, then she works on her own for about an hour. I think it's not too much since a public school might have an hour of class and an hour of homework. She is a dawdler though, so probably could finish sooner if she focused better.

About an hour or so total but we break it up if it is really intense stuff.  Instruction first, then work some stuff on the dry erase (DS does better if he can get in larger body movement to help with focus and retention...we have a really big dry erase).  Then he does some work on his own.  He takes a break at a designated point in his work book to go do other things.  He frequently finishes in the afternoon or evening, and is usually more focused that way.

Sometimes we will also do Khan Academy (I'm doing it, too).  He likes knowing that I am logged in on my computer doing math while he is logged in doing his stuff.  We then talk about whatever it was we were each doing.  He LOVES doing that.

We get as far as we get in about an hour per day in Singapore, but only M-Th. We might stop a bit early if it's the end of a unit or it will take a while to teach a new concept. I very rarely go over unless he requests it. His brain just tires out at that point. We do one hour of Beast Academy on Saturday and another on Sunday. Which reminds me I have go go hunt him down....

About an hour a day seems to be her limit. Sometimes, that's a full AOPS lesson, sometimes it's a single problem (or sometimes, an hour spent trying one problem until she gets so frustrated she needs to stop and let it simmer). That's why she's not doing math online at this point-her pace is just too variable.

• Like 1

Assigned:

15 - 20 min Kahn academy (3 days a week)

5 min xtra math (if that) (5 days a week)

15 - 20 min Life of Fred (1 chapter + questions, or one bridge attempt) (4 days a week)

He fiddles around with a lot of different stuff in his own time too.

My 7th grader spends approximately 1.5-2 hours per day on math. We are using Saxon 8/7 and Art Reed DVDs. My son is not a fast worker but he does well with his lessons and tests. We go over incorrect problems or misunderstandings as soon as the lesson is complete.

Elise in NC

DD last year in 7th, and DS this year in 7th...both spend/spent 1.5 hrs a day.    They were able to mostly get a full Saxon Alg 1/2 lesson and all problems done in that time..mostly.  This year with DS, he doesn't do Saxon every day.  When he does LOF and/or Khan, he spends about 40 min to an hour that day.