Menu

Question for churchgoers (logistics, not controversial)

poppy

I am planning a wine social for a group I belong to. The date the venue offered is April 2.

My coleader said, oh that's Holy Thursday,  no one will come if it's that day.
She is a very devout Catholic.

We are not in a very religious community. 

My question is, is she right or a little off base?
Do most Catholics tend to go to church that evening?
How about non Catholic Christians? 

The biggest church here is probably Congregationalist. (We are in New England)

For people who don't go to church,  is it a big family day, or a day you'd avoid a night out with wine?

Not Catholic here. We have some church activities on Holy Thursday, but since they are centered around the Last Supper, I would not have a problem skipping them for a Wine Social. Seems like a reasonable substitute. :D

Holy Friday would be a different thing, but I think the Thursday would be fine.

We limit our non-religious activities during holy week but I don't think that's common. And that doesn't mean I wouldn't go, just that it would be part of the consideration (it being during holy week). Schedule it then if you want, just know that it might be less well attended.

I am non-denominational and I have found that most non-liturgical churches do not typically do services on Thursday.  My best friend is Lutheran and she went to church every night of Holy Week.  So it really varies by church/denomination.  My church growing up as well as most of the ones that we associated with (Nazarene, Baptist, etc) didn't do much of anything other than Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday.  The first Good Friday service I attended was when I was at Bible College.

I'm Confessional Lutheran, and during Holy Week we go to church on Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and of course Easter Sunday.  Sometimes also on Saturday night for Easter Vigil.  

So for me, that evening would be completely out of the question.  It's the celebration of the institution of Holy Communion, and there is always a full Divine Service with Communion.  I would never miss it.  

Tuesday or Wednesday would be good nights.

• Like 2

I am planning a wine social for a group I belong to. The date the venue offered is April 2.

For people who don't go to church,  is it a big family day, or a day you'd avoid a night out with wine?

Although it is not a holy day of obligation, I can tell you that my parish is packed on Holy Thursday. *I* would not attend your event, because I would be at church.

When I was a non-Catholic Christian, I belonged to denominations which did not put any special emphasis on Holy Thursday.

It would be thoughtful of you to look for another date. :-)

Pascha or Easter is the Feast of Feasts for Traditional Christians. Holy Week is of utmost importance to us. It's hard to understand if you don't observe the liturgical calendar (I remember what it was like to be in your shoes). I schedule spring break to start on the Monday of Holy Week and end on the Friday of Bright Week, so that we will be available for all the church services leading up to Easter and have a full week to celebrate during the week after.

• Like 1

Not Catholic.  I'm in the Baptistic/Bible Church wing of Evangelical Christianity.

Some churches I have attended will have a Good Friday Service.  A few will have a Maundy Thursday service.  I've never been to one that had both and some didn't have either.

When I attend a church that offers Thurs. or Fri. I go because that's one of my favorite services of the year.  They are not the highest attended services, though.  High attendance services would be Easter morning and Christmas.

I don't usually plan things on a Thursday evening.  My experience is most people do evening events on Fridays and Saturdays.

Anglican here and I have to say I wouldn't attend a non-church social event on Maundy Thursday.  We have a Maundy Thursday service in the evening, and often followed by a prayer vigil for some/most of the night.  The Good Friday service remembers Christ's 3 hours on the cross, so goes from 12 midday to 3pm, with nothing in the evening.  We then have the Easter Eve service late on Saturday night (my favourite service of the whole liturgical year!), and Easter Sunday service at normal service time.  It's rather busy (although I probably won't make Good Friday this year, but will try to do the rest) so I really wouldn't want another event during Holy Week.

• Like 2

I was just thinking about this, and I really think you should reschedule the date -- not just for religious people, but because many people who aren't particularly religious still celebrate Easter with family gatherings, Easter egg hunts, etc.

Many people might have a very busy weekend planned and be preparing for it on Thursday, even if it's just going grocery shopping to get the food for Easter dinner, or doing last-minute shopping for Easter outfits and candy and Easter basket stuff.

• Like 3

Non-Catholic Christian and I don't know that I've ever even heard of Holy Thursday. Thursdays in general are very popular for MLM parties and get togethers in my neck of the woods.. :)

Not Catholic.  I'm in the Baptistic/Bible Church wing of Evangelical Christianity.

Some churches I have attended will have a Good Friday Service.  A few will have a Maundy Thursday service.  I've never been to one that had both and some didn't have either.

When I attend a church that offers Thurs. or Fri. I go because that's one of my favorite services of the year.  They are not the highest attended services, though.  High attendance services would be Easter morning and Christmas.

I don't usually plan things on a Thursday evening.  My experience is most people do evening events on Fridays and Saturdays.

Baptist here. We had both services last year. Surprisingly well attended. Having both again this year. My husband is eager to go. I have not yet decided.

I'm Confessional Lutheran, and during Holy Week we go to church on Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and of course Easter Sunday.  Sometimes also on Saturday night for Easter Vigil.  

So for me, that evening would be completely out of the question.  It's the celebration of the institution of Holy Communion, and there is always a full Divine Service with Communion.  I would never miss it.  

Another Confessional Lutheran, and ditto - we have service on Maundy Thursday and I've always considered it to be a "big deal" service, equal to Good Friday - I wouldn't miss it. 

Also a Confessional Lutheran, and I totally agree. The Maundy Thursday Divine Service is one I wouldn't consider missing. It's only the beginning of the Holy Triduum, and missing part of that makes the rest of it feel incomplete. 

• Like 2

This pretty much describes our Lutheran church. Our family attends all services (DH is pastor). Honestly, with Easter coming up, I'm looking for fewer activities, not more, even if they would be as relaxing as a night with friends and wine.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

Pascha or Easter is the Feast of Feasts for Traditional Christians. Holy Week is of utmost importance to us. It's hard to understand if you don't observe the liturgical calendar (I remember what it was like to be in your shoes). I schedule spring break to start on the Monday of Holy Week and end on the Friday of Bright Week, so that we will be available for all the church services leading up to Easter and have a full week to celebrate during the week after.

Eastern Orthodox here also -- wanted to comment that this is one of the years when we don't share the Easter date.  Orthodox Easter is a week later than Western Easter, so the night in question would be during the week before Holy Week if you have any potential Orthodox guests.  Some Orthodox maintain a strictness for all of Lent, so this still wouldn't be a good date; some might not be as strict that week as during Holy Week, so it might.  All that to say, I'm no help to you [the OP] at all!

Eastern Orthodox here also -- wanted to comment that this is one of the years when we don't share the Easter date. Orthodox Easter is a week later than Western Easter, so the night in question would be during the week before Holy Week if you have any potential Orthodox guests. Some Orthodox maintain a strictness for all of Lent, so this still wouldn't be a good date; some might not be as strict that week as during Holy Week, so it might. All that to say, I'm no help to you [the OP] at all!

You make a good point, Milovany,regarding the difference in feastal calendar. My earlier comment was more focused on how belonging to a liturgical church changes the significance of certain dates. I never understood the meaning of Holy Week before I became Orthodox and even though I celebrated Western Easter before, I wasn't a Trinitarian Christian and I had only one or two friends who were and we rarely talked about religion. I totally would have scoffed at the notion of missing a social gathering in order to attend a weekday service because I had no context for it.

I could do it the day before instead (Wednesday).  Which is part of the week but not a religious holiday, I take it?

The venue is a local nonprofit artisan shop that my club is a booster of. They want people to come that week to buy gifts, decorations, accessories, etc for visiting family over that weekend.   The focus is more "private shopping event" than "wine", and I think doing it after the holiday would result in a lower attendance.  Hope that helps to clarify.

Appreciate all the replies.

I could do it the day before instead (Wednesday). Which is part of the week but not a religious holiday, I take it?

The venue is a local nonprofit artisan shop that my club is a booster of. They want people to come that week to buy gifts, decorations, accessories, etc for visiting family over that weekend. The focus is more "private shopping event" than "wine", and I think doing it after the holiday would result in a lower attendance. Hope that helps to clarify.

I think that would be lovely.

I could do it the day before instead (Wednesday).  Which is part of the week but not a religious holiday, I take it?

The venue is a local nonprofit artisan shop that my club is a booster of. They want people to come that week to buy gifts, decorations, accessories, etc for visiting family over that weekend.   The focus is more "private shopping event" than "wine", and I think doing it after the holiday would result in a lower attendance.  Hope that helps to clarify.

I think it's fine. It sounds more like a drop in when you can, stay as long as you can event. You might get more people who are going out to church or grocery shopping anyway if you do it Thursday.

Conservative non denom here. I'm not sure I've ever been in a church that does anything on Thursday, and if I was, we didn't participate.  However, I am currently attending a small church and was surprised to see that they have a service Thursday.  We'll probably go.  (They only have Sunday morning service, nothing in the evening, nothing on Wednesday, and not even anything on Christmas Eve!)

UU here, and our church has regular Thursday night supper and services throughout the year.  Some people go weekly, others go once in a while, and many people only attend on Sundays.  We're in the once-in-a-while category and wouldn't mind doing something else on a Thursday evening.

Our Lutheran church is having some sort of Seder supper that night.  I do believe they normally have church stuff on that day, and in general that week is not considered a time to party.  I wouldn't know how many people attend the church stuff because I never have on Maundy Thursday.

Another possibility is that some people may be traveling to see family.  Kids don't have school Friday, so some folks might start Thursday.

Maybe send out some feelers to other group members?

In my community, the wine social would trump Holy Thursday services for most people.  Heck, most don't go to Holy Thursday services even when wine is not offered up elsewhere.  AS a PP suggested, however, some people may be out of town and travelling to see family for Easter and not be available then.

I know nothing about Holy Thursday.  I don't know that I've ever even heard of it before.  

I'm a Christian but I'm not Catholic.

Does that help at all?  :lol: 

Maundy Thursday is one of the most moving services of the year. nondenominational. I wouldn't attend. If you schedule it for the following week, it would be more inclusive.

Except the next week is the middle of Passover.  Around here you'd have more people who couldn't do an event with food on Passover than you would have people attending Maundy/Holy Thursday services.

I know nothing about Holy Thursday.  I don't know that I've ever even heard of it before.  

I'm a Christian but I'm not Catholic.

Does that help at all?   :lol:

There are Protestant denominations that honor Holy Thursday (also called Maundy Thursday).

Maundy Thurs is big here. I'm Episcopalian.

Ditto here, to both sentences. Some churches have an all-night watch. People stay for an hour or so, but try to make sure that the church is not empty that night.

It is also on the list of official religious holidays (when kids can be excused from school) in my state.

For NYC residents, it is one of the days when alternate side of the street parking is suspended. (If you have no idea what that means, don't obsess.)