Menu

If you have 5 or more kids and some still in car seats...

jkl

What kind of car do you drive?  We have 4 children, all in either booster or car seats, and our Kia is getting crowded.  When we add #5 in a few years, only my oldest will be able to ride like an adult.  I don't think we will all fit in this car!

When we first had five children, we had a minivan with two bench seats. I know people like the two captain's chairs, but I found that to be a huge pain with two rear facing car seats. (We rented one of those for a trip, and we had to put one of the rear facing seats in the back row, because otherwise, the older kids couldn't get to the back row.)

So we had:

-infant in infant seat, behind driver, in the middle row

-toddler rear facing in big convertible seat, next to the infant in the middle row

-preschooler in forward facing harnessed seat in the middle of the back row

-two older kids, no boosters needed, on either side of the preschooler in the back row

It was doable, but the kids in the back row were cramped, and for any kind of long trip, it was very jammed full. I hate having a car payment, but I wasn't terribly upset when that minivan died. DH made a very good case for not buying another minivan, since we are looking at multiple teenage boys with long legs. He really wanted a full size van, so I was willing to test one and consider it.

There are not words for how amazing this thing is. I love it so much! It's a Ford E350 and will hold twelve people. I have the two oldest kids in the very back row, where they have tons of space. In the row in front of them, I have my kindergartener in a big high back booster, no harness; he's over agains the driver side wall. Also in his row, with a space between the two of them (we don't use it often; it has only a lap belt), is the preschooler, forward facing in a harnessed seat.

Baby (17 months) is in the middle spot of the second row (first of three bench seats), rear facing in a big convertible. It's a little tricky to get to the space next to him that is right behind the driver seat, but not impossible. I have an open spot on the other side of him so that it's easier to get him in, and so that a big kid can sit next to him and give him food if need be. If we were to have another baby, I could put an infant seat in that open spot next to the passenger side/the door; it would be a little trickier, but we'd make it work. (Or I could turn his seat forward facing, because he'd be over two, although I prefer rear facing until at least three, and put it next to the infant or directly behind the driver.)

The big van is a gas hog, and I miss the slider doors a bit, but it drives beautifully and holds a ton. We packed it for a five day trip at Thanksgiving, and packing light is not in my vocabulary; we had tons of room and didn't feel cramped at all. I do normally keep a huge cooler in the rear trunk space for holding groceries and things so that they don't slide under the seats. But we've been able to help friends out, take grandparents with us, etc., and that's been very handy. (Ours has vinyl seats and floor too, which we appreciate so much over cloth and carpet because it's easy to clean.).

8-passenger Toyota Sienna

When my sixth was born, I had two in boosters, two in Radian 5-point harness seats, and the baby in an infant seat. My oldest didn't need a car seat.

We looked at SUVs but the cargo space is non-existent. The full sized vans are uncomfortably large for me to drive and park (I've driven my parents'). I'm very happy with my minivan.

I have 5 in my Toyota Sienna. Three forward facing on the back row, one FF in the captain's chair, and one RF in a captain's chair. We need a bigger vehicle soon but it works for now.

Exact same situation here-except it's a Town and Country. If we can swing it, maybe a suburban in the future? It's not that WE don't fit, it's the stuff we need to take If we go anywhere that doesn't fit.

Ford E350 12 passenger. Keep in mind that we regularly take long road trips, sometimes with camping gear, sometimes with violins, a cello, and a (34 string) harp. Plus our oldest hit 6 ft tall when he was 15. The extra room makes those long trips bearable and it is pretty easy to find low milage used ones for way, way less $ than a decent used mini van or suburban.

We are expecting #5 in August. Only one is out of carseats/boosters. 

We had a Kia and honestly it was so cramped! Technically it had 7 seats but realistically with carseats we had 6 seats which with 4 kids made things full. So we got a Honda Odyssey and have been so happy that when it saved our life and was totaled this Christmas (we were rear-ended by a semi on the interstate!) we replaced it with the same model but a different year. 8 seater Honda Odysseys are awesome! It drives fantastic, even in the snow, it doesn't feel like driving a boat, and it has tons of space. We all drove 1000 miles for vacation and fit 4 kids (3 carseats, one is a monster convertible seat), a suitcase for each, and a backpack for each plus blankets, our usual car emergency gear, and cd's and dvd's and a large picnic basket. And we still had room to spare and see out the back.  Oh and the Odyssey gets great gas mileage. 

So yeah, I highly recommend a Honda Odyssey, 8 seats for anyone with 4+ kids, especially if you have carseats. We have ours configured with DD13 in the back, DS6 in the back in a booster, DS4 in the middle middle in a FF seat and DD2 in the side middle in a convertible Evenflo Advanced (if you have seen one you know it's safe but a total beast of a carseat!). When baby comes we'll put the 6, 4, and 2 year olds in the back all forward facing and then the baby and DD13 in the middle so she isn't climbing to the back anymore. 

I have a friend who has a Toyota Sienna 8 seater which is also amazing. We once fit (EASILY!) 6 kids, 4 of whom were in carseats. 

We had 5 in car seats at one point with our Town and Country. It was a tight squeeze, but we fit them all. Now we are struggling to fit all 5 as they get older. Everybody but me is very tall, and we are quickly running out of leg room. We plan to get either a Suburban or an E350 in the next couple years. I would prefer a Suburban but I think the E350 might be more practical when we travel.

If a new car sounds to pricey look into different car seats. We have a Toyota seinna and our main car seats are all Britax which are big and huge. However we have a very narrow Radian convertible carset and another very narrow harnesses booster whose name escapes me that was really inexpensive from kmart for when we randomly bring home the kids' friends from the park.

If a new car sounds to pricey look into different car seats. We have a Toyota seinna and our main car seats are all Britax which are big and huge. However we have a very narrow Radian convertible carset and another very narrow harnesses booster whose name escapes me that was really inexpensive from kmart for when we randomly bring home the kids' friends from the park.

I think this is what we'll have to do.  3 of our seats are Britax and 1 is a Chicco, which is even bigger!

We had five and were expecting our sixth when we made the switch to a 15 passenger. Twelves lacked space for groceries, etc. now that we're a family of 13 I'd love to have something with trunk space. You're at that awkward place of deciding what will work best for the next few years. I'd consider if you're having more babies going up to one of the big vans.

Toyota Sienna

I have 4 kids in a Graco Nautilus seat and 1 in a Britax Roundabout. Everyone fits. My two oldest sit in the two captains chairs in the second row. They use the seat beat in their booster so it's easier for them to buckle in that row rather than in the last row which has 3 car seats.

I really love my van! (Never thought I'd like a van)

We have five in carseats and boosters and very likely aren't done with kids - we are using an old suburban that is having lots of transmission problems, so we will be ordering a 2015 Nissan NV as our next vehicle, hopefully in a few weeks.

We have the 2013 or 2014 (? it was the first model year -whichever that was) and it's been the most reliable vehicle we've ever had.  We usually have to bring vehicles back to the dealership 600 times for warranty issues, but not with this one!  It's been two years and the original tires/brakes are still good - we would've already replaced both on our minivan.  Just make sure you get a back-up camera.  It will make a huge difference when you park.  Also, I back into every spot I park in or pull all the way through.  We didn't do this once and got "stuck" the first week we bought it when someone parked really close to the side of us.  So, we learned the hard way - always back into the spot or pull the van all the way through.  Also, it is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever ridden in (I've never ridden in a suburban, tho).

We originally tried to buy a suburban, but the NVP was cheaper.  The suburbans are really expensive.  Even the used ones - we looked and couldn't even find an affordable used one.

We had a Town and Country with 5 kids.  One teen, one pre teen, 1 in a booster, 2 in 5 point harnesses.  It worked great.  Then we added another baby. lol

We got a Honda Odyssey and I love it.  We only have 5 kids in our car regularly now(teen went to college)  But we all fit comfortably when we ride, even our tall 19 year old.  We have 1 booster, 1 five point, and one rear facing 5 point.  I LOVE the full sized middle seat in the middle row.  

We have 6 kids in an 8 seater Toyota Sienna. In the 3rd row we have two high back boosters with a forward-facing Radian in between them. In the middle row (3 captain's chairs) we have two rear-facing Britax Boulevards (behind the driver and in the middle) and a backless booster behind the passenger, though DS1 is close to not needing it anymore. Loading is a bit of a pain - DS1 puts his booster on the floor and folds the seat forward, the back 3 kids climb in, then he helps my 2 year old get into his seat in the middle.

Hopefully we'll be getting a Nissan NV in the next year or two, I would really like the extra room. 

If the Nissan NV had been out when we bought our Sienna, I would have been sorely tempted to get that! I saw one last year and was pretty impressed. By the time our Sienna is ready to be replaced, however, we will probably have only a have a few kids at home. Probably couldn't justify the Nissan at that point.

6 kids: 13 yo obviously has no car seat/booster; almost 12 yo still in a booster because she light and small (she'll hopefully "graduate" out of it soon); 10 yo in a booster for the same reason; 8 yo in a 5-pt car seat because he's small and light; 4 yo in a FF 5-pt car seat; 2 yo in a RF 5-pt car seat.

We drive a 15 passenger Ford F350 Econoline van. We took the rear seat out and have plenty of room for groceries, packing for trips, etc. (Well, we do when all the TKD bags/equipment are not piled in there <ahem>.) Both hubby and I are very comfortable driving and parking big vehicles. 

For those who experienced raised eyebrows when reading that my almost 12 yo and 10 yo are still in boosters just know that I've never in almost 20 years of being a street medic pulled a dead kid who was properly restrained from a vehicle involved in an MVC; seriously injured, yes; dead, no. I've unfortunately seen some absolutely horrific crashes in my time. For better or worse, sometimes my parenting choices are a result of my professional experience. [This isn't to say, of course, that no child has ever died in an MVC even when he was properly restrained. The sad fact is that some crashes are simply not survivable.]

Yes. The only reason we had a suburban was because it was ancient (almost 20 years old now) and it was originally bought used. But we cannot fit three car seats and boosters to the row, they're too wide and nobody can comfortably buckle. I wouldn't replace it in kind even if I could afford it, because it doesn't seat enough people for us.

I have been so impressed with the safety features on the NV, and the smart engineering choices (for example, the seatbelts that don't buckle next to one another, or that the V6 NV actually has more horsepower than the V8 Econoline, because Ford's engineers are lazy and didn't update the design when they could have to improve efficiency).

Not only is the price right, but since we have to order one anyway we are having it with every upgrade we could want, including the backup cam and sonor. It handled so beautifully in the test drive and I LOVE the standard features and technology package. I was thrilled to see someone coming into such a narrow market and actually thinking through the design of the vehicle instead of just defaulting to what has always been done. And as a suburban driving, Alaska living, 5'2" female I still felt the vehicle was extremely safe and easy to handle (and we did our best to make it plane and skid and fishtail on the test drive, but it was excellent with traction and control even with the all season tires on instead of snow).

I test drove an Econoline on the exact same road and the NV handled much better, with less roll and less inertial slide even on the same spots and at the same general weight and length.

So yeah. The day my husband's raise comes in (March) we will be putting it as a down payment for my very first new vehicle in my life. We drove the wheels off our suburban and are looking forward to doing the same with a new NV. I'm stoked.

Ugh. So jealous! There is a family in our neighborhood with an NV. My husband wants one SO BADLY. But I'm just not ready/willing to commit to a brand-new vehicle. The excursion is our interim solution. The next car will be an NV...but probably used.

Yes. The only reason we had a suburban was because it was ancient (almost 20 years old now) and it was originally bought used. But we cannot fit three car seats and boosters to the row, they're too wide and nobody can comfortably buckle. I wouldn't replace it in kind even if I could afford it, because it doesn't seat enough people for us.

I have been so impressed with the safety features on the NV, and the smart engineering choices (for example, the seatbelts that don't buckle next to one another, or that the V6 NV actually has more horsepower than the V8 Econoline, because Ford's engineers are lazy and didn't update the design when they could have to improve efficiency).

Not only is the price right, but since we have to order one anyway we are having it with every upgrade we could want, including the backup cam and sonor. It handled so beautifully in the test drive and I LOVE the standard features and technology package. I was thrilled to see someone coming into such a narrow market and actually thinking through the design of the vehicle instead of just defaulting to what has always been done. And as a suburban driving, Alaska living, 5'2" female I still felt the vehicle was extremely safe and easy to handle (and we did our best to make it plane and skid and fishtail on the test drive, but it was excellent with traction and control even with the all season tires on instead of snow).

I test drove an Econoline on the exact same road and the NV handled much better, with less roll and less inertial slide even on the same spots and at the same general weight and length.

So yeah. The day my husband's raise comes in (March) we will be putting it as a down payment for my very first new vehicle in my life. We drove the wheels off our suburban and are looking forward to doing the same with a new NV. I'm stoked.

Wow. This vehicle wasn't even on my radar screen, but it is now. :) I'm so glad that you and Evanthe mentioned it.

I highly recommend test driving either the cargo or passenger NVs if you can - they handle pretty much identically. And do it on a day you can try a Ford, GM, or Chevy as well. We loved the NV alone, but contrasting it on the same road against another similar vehicle made it a much easier choice for us.

By any chance did you test drive the Ford's new Transit? 

I'd love the Nissan NV but it won't fit in our garage and I really don't want to have to keep it parked in the driveway (between snow and hail our vehicles don't fair well when left outside).

I just saw the new Ford Transit and the smallest option with low roof would actually fit in our garage and we could get a 10 seater (which since I'm trying to convince DH we need to add to our family would give us the space for that) but nowhere around here has one in stock (not even the cargo version) so I don't know how it handles.  My parent had full sized Ford vans that I drove since I was 16 so I'm very comfortable driving big vehicles but was still curious how the Transit handles.