Menu

"When I retire ....."

Home'scool

162 members have voted

1. 1. When I retire I want to live ....

• in a planned retirement community with lots of activities and amenities
    • quietly on our own. We don't need amenities
    • Other - please specifiy

Now that I am approaching the big 5-0 I have started to think about what our retirement might look like. My husband and I have always owned homes but we are getting tired of the upkeep. We will probably end up in a condo for retirement.

There are so many choices of "lifestyle" though.

So, if money was not an option (haha), would you want to live in one of those retirement places like The Villages in Florida where there are activities up the wazoo and all the socialization you could want right outside your front door, or would you opt for a quieter living arrangement, perhaps in the area you live in now.

On the one hand the thought of staying active and not having to deal with the winter (I live in the Northeast) seems like a great, healthy lifestyle, but on the other hand I feel like the pressured to "join things" and socialize would be too much. I did that for so long and all the dinner clubs and social events, etc., can just be tiring.

IF money were no option, I'd move to a small house on the beach. 

What is more likely is that we will continue to live in our current house.  When we chose it four years ago, it was specifically because it was one level, with just 1-2 shallow steps between the front yard and the inside of the house. The yard was big enough that we needed to buy a riding lawn mower. We also live in an area with mild weather, so that's not an issue to consider.

Living in any sort of organized, social community with amenities and activities sounds like hell to me, personally. Even if I never participated, I would have to be surrounded by people like that all of the time. 

My dad lives in something in between, in a very large planned retirement community with golf courses, fitness centers/clubhouses/pools, tennis courts, etc. There are only single family homes, and one adult must be over a certain age to live there (buy or rent).  Although it's a single family homes, residents pay a homeowner's fee for maintenance of common areas.  He likes it because he can pick and choose what to do, he doesn't feel surrounded by "old" people, and the screaming kids always go home after a week or so.  ;)

I have a few years left of homeschooling, and at that point my focus will be working enough to actually FUND a retirement, haha.

I would love to move somewhere in the Okanogan Valley area, but other than that, I still want my own house with my own garden and my own fruit patch. I want to be at least on an acreage so I can have a few of my animals until I am so old and decrepit that they have to move me into long-term care at the hospital. My Grandparents are in their mid 80's and are still living on their own.

My dh wants to go back to his woodworking type stuff when he retires. He enjoys making furniture and cabinets.

I'm still in my twenties so it take this for what it's worth. my parents have been retired for sometime. a couple years ago they sold their house and moved closer to us. I'm sure that they would have loved the activity of a community. BUT, to them it was more important to be around the grandchildren. and I can assure you there is NOTHING else around here.

what do you and your husband want it to look like? do you want to be around people your age? do you want activities? ( my parents are split on this. it took nearly three years for my mom to be thrilled with a quieter community) would you prefer to be around family? do you need to make a decision in the near future, or is it okay if you wait a decade?

have fun thinking of all the possibilities!

Around my area, the retirement community have shuttle buses to the doctors, grocers and library on a twice or more per week basis.  The shuttles also goes to places of attractions like museums, beaches.   Hubby and I grew up in the city (plenty of high rise/skyscrapers kind) and when we rented an apartment, we picked one with free yoga classes, movie nights, bingo nights, sunday brunch socials, billiard room so that we can have amenities without stepping out of the complex.  We just love not having to drive if we don't want to and having activities we can participate in if we choose to.

I don't know. I'm 47 and my "retirement" won't be for a long while. My parents have 5 acres and my mom does most of it at age 77. 

Personally, I would like to move somewhere else, I'd like to visit the PNW. I'd like to live in a townhouse or condo, something with outdoor space and pool. I don't really want a retirement village. 

The reality is I'm here for a while and I could see being an old woman in this house. My only issue would be I'd build a ramp from the deck (door exits onto elevated deck) as I already have crappy knees. This town is quiet and safe and easy drive to grocery and such. 

Problem with most areas billed as retirement communities is that they typically don't allow residents under age 55. (We have a big one in our town.) We started our family in our 30's and into our 40's and want to be available to "backstop" our kids should they every need layover housing. We also feel we'll have to move out of state -- our money will go a LOT farther outside of CA and we can find a home that is more suitable to our advancing years than the current tri-level, so we're hoping the equity in this house will cover the cost of a retirement house in a cheaper locale....but who knows what the real estate market will do???? And with our last kid ready for college when we'll be nearly standard retirement age (63 & 64), dh says he'll be working until he drops.

That said, we'll probably want something like a condo but all one level with wide doorways, etc. I don't look forward with joy to the prospect of moving and downsizing and making new friends...maybe one of my kids will set up house outside of CA and we'll move near them? Most of my family is west coast US, so maybe OR or northern NV?

I think it's important to check the different retirement communities before making a commitment, because although some residents are always ready for fun, it seems like others are sitting around comparing their symptoms and talking about death.

Some communities are very vibrant, but others can be pretty depressing.

DH would hate a highly social retirement community. I think the right one would be a good place to live if I were widowed, however. Not to be morbid but women do tend to outlive their husbands in general. One of my grandmas outlived her husband by almost a full decade, and the other by 16 years.

Dh's retirement plan is to sell the house, buy an RV and spend 3 months in each kid's driveway and then 3 months traveling National Parks.  This is NOT my idea.  I would love to be able to stay in our home and have a place for the kids to come visit.  We may come to a spot where we would want to downsize, but a retirement community is not what I would want unless I couldn't drive anywhere and was losing my independence. 

My mom went to one the last couple years of her life.  She resisted for a long time and there were lots of things she missed about her old place, it was the right decision for her.  I would have taken her in to my home, but my home is not really set up for an elderly person with limited mobility - split level with no bathroom on the main level so you can't avoid doing stairs.  She also insisted that she would never "do that to her kids."  At this place, I had the peace of mind that someone would check on her if she did not indicate that she was up and that she had meals prepared for her. 

Oceanfront with us working as consultants. I love this house but I don't think we'll keep it, we need more land for the next phase that the kids will take over. 

NEVER a retirement community. My MIL went into one and it is awful. It's just death. And I'm not a swinger, so no Villages for me. 

I visited my mother down in Naples when she had a place in a gated golf community. It felt like visiting Shangra-La. Everybody's lawns were perfectly manicured, there were 4 pools to choose from, and the weekly event list read like something on a cruise ship. I remember sitting around the pool, watching all the older people talk and swim and realizing that back home everyone was inside and separate because it was winter. These senior citizens just seemed so lively and tanned and active.

But I worry it would wear off after a while. I am not a huge social person. I was when I was younger but now I like my peace and quiet. Maybe I can find a place that has the amenities but not such a party atmosphere as in The Villages. That place seems like a state party school!

DH is 53 and I'm 51, so we're not all that far away from retirement.

We used to think we'd downsize to a town house, but now we're rethinking that.  Not sure we want to be so close to numerous people, at least not when we're "young" retirees.  So now we're toying with the idea of a smallish house on a couple of easy-to-maintain acres -- something relatively flat that could be easily mowed on a riding mower.  I could still see us getting a town house or even moving into a retirement community down the road.  But I envision those as more in the 75+ range than early 60's range.  So maybe a multi-stage retirement for us.  Who knows?

If money were no object then I'd love a small home by the shore and another in the mountains.:-) I don't like retirement communities. I don't just want to be surrounded by other old people, all of whom will have continual health issues (real or imagined) and problems with their children who never visit. My folks currently live on a golf course and winter in FL, and I get to see what it's like.

I would love to be able to travel, keep active, and spend as much time visiting my kids as I can.

Dh and I are too introverted to enjoy living in a retirement community. We enjoy being around people for short periods of time and choose our social activities carefully. 

We're 4 years and 9 months from dh's planned retirement. We'll move closer to the grandkids, though still several hours away.  Much smaller house than we have now, hopefully with 4 garage bays so we can work on our beloved cars.  Would love to be near a bike trail as I don't enjoy road cycling. 

We'll take on part time work if something interesting comes our way, but at least for the first few years we're planning to not work at all and do some travel in the US. 

We both spent a lot of time volunteering for various organizations until about three years ago when we both burned out and stopped all volunteer work. I'm starting to get back into it, and I expect dh will once he retires.  We'd like to find something to do together, whether it's Habitat, a food pantry, or something else. 

After spending the past 20 years on the IL/WI border, I am definitely looking for a retirement location with mild winters. But not Florida. 

I can't imagine retiring. In the economy we have nowadays, I don't see it happening. But I do see my DH and I perhaps working only part time.

I would like a cross between the two choices. I would like to live in this area near my friends, in some sort of retirement place. I wouldn't necessarily need activities, unless my friends all move away or die. I can probably swing my own activities. But I wouldn't want to worry about yard work or stairs. I would probably find one of those places where you live in a nice apartment or duplex, but if you become disabled you move into their nursing home. You might have a step in between where nurses come to your apartment if you don't need the nursing home, but still need a bit of in home care.

That's my practical answer.

My dream in the clouds answer is that we'll be fully retired, no work, and spent lots of time going to shows with our friends in a home of our own.

I turned fifty this year. We have been discussing retirement options for about five years now, and moving out of the country (where our retirement savings will go so much further, particularly in places that offer good healthcare cheap) continues to occur in our top three list. At the top of the list is remaining here, in the forever home on the prairie.

I used to dream of owning my own small farm where I could sell fall produce (think pumpkins, apples, maize, etc) and host crafts and kids activities. I would down-size my home, increase the land, hire helpers, etc. That all changed suddenly when I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis last Fall. Now I am facing eventual major disability and realistically needing long-term care/assistance in the future. My DH is 18 years older than I am, so I expect that I will outlive him OR we will both need assistance. My goal now is to not be a burden to my kids and be able to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle doing enjoyable activities without worrying about the day-to-day stuff. The idea of having my housing, food and transportation taken care of is very very appealing. I also like the idea of being closer to other people in a community setting, rather than as isolated as we currently are.

We're thinking a multi-stage retirement too, though we are still pretty far out from it. First stage will be travel, either liveaboard in the Caribbean or RV domestically - depending on our finances at the time and the overall political and economic landscape. But definitely travel. Then when we get tired of that hopefully a seaside retirement friendly community.

I can't imagine moving to a community like that as long as I'm able to live independently (or with dh, you know what I mean) though I can imagine moving to a condo to let go of house upkeep.  But when I'm past being able to take very good care of myself and especially if I'm alone, I think I'd like to be in an assisted living home and make that decision at a time when I can.  That's not "retirement" but there are some retirement communities that lead into that with different levels of community and care.

When I was about 30 I read about a woman that did this, and it became my plan.  She didn't actually have a home.  She would get a 6 month apartment lease in different places.  She was in Rome when the article was written, and I think she had been in Colorado before that. She had a large storage unit near her grandkids.  In between apartments she would spend a month or so with the grandkids.  It wouldn't cost that much more than having a residence and take a vacation or two.  

My introvert husband would not set a foot into a "retirement community", not for all the "amenities" of the world. I also would not wish to live surrounded by old people and activities chosen and organized by others.

As long as we are healthy, we will live independently, continue some work, travel. We might move, since I would like to live somewhere close to (one of) my children, if possible.

When we will need some help, we will organize this on our own and specifically target our needs and our situation. I guess for the amount of money a planned retirement community costs, we will be able to afford quite a few hours of household or driving help etc.

I put "other," because the scenario would be different if something happened to dh before me.

At present, our plan is to buy a house in Sandestin in a couple of years. We will probably spend a week or so a month there for a while, and see how much we like the lifestyle. I told dh I'm not really willing to move there while the grandkids nearby are really young, because I'm already away from other grandkids. I can't be apart from ALL of them!

Anyway, the ultimate goal would be to sell our place here and live there if things worked out as planned. If not, we'd either stay in our present home, or possibly relocate to a golf community or something, but stay near where we are now.

If I ever find myself alone, I will most definitely live in a retirement community with activities. I have watched my mom be content to sit and do nothing, and it just isn't for me. I want to stay active.

I want to split time between doing missionary work and being a grandmother.  I would love either working heavily with Child Evangelism Fellowship here in the states or to go on short-term mission trips once or twice per year, sharing the gospel internationally.  We have our dream home right now, so staying here and making it a place grandchildren would love to come is my dream.  While I'm still young enough, after my kids have grown,I would love to teach in a classical school...into retirement maybe??  I'm praying to be kind and not grumpy in my old age. lol  Right now, the idea of a retirement community is repulsive to me.  

Retirement? What's that? :)

Eta: I wouldn't want either. Ideally I'd be able to travel some, see all the sweet grand babies as they come, and have a home I can easily maintain on my own or with a bit of assistance, such as grandsons mowing the yard kind of thing, while I serve big feasts for feast-type occasions like Christmas and Easter.

My idea of a fun retirement isn't endless social bridge/golf/party games. Recreation without purpose sounds like a nightmare to me. So funny, because I do love to play!

I am blessed with an active church now, and I want one then, too.

We won't be able to stay here. Clergy usually don't retire to the parish they worked in, and they will kick us out of the rectory so the next rector can have it.

I hate condos.

Don't know where we will end up!

We plan to stay in the house we're in now. It's small (only 1000 sq ft) and near a historic downtown area and beach that we enjoy. Our doctor, dentist, and eye doctor are all walking distance as well as our grocery store, UPS/post office, and a few eating places. I don't see us moving and dh should be able to retire around 65/70.

When I was about 30 I read about a woman that did this, and it became my plan.  She didn't actually have a home.  She would get a 6 month apartment lease in different places.  She was in Rome when the article was written, and I think she had been in Colorado before that. She had a large storage unit near her grandkids.  In between apartments she would spend a month or so with the grandkids.  It wouldn't cost that much more than having a residence and take a vacation or two.  

This sounds like an intriguing idea!

We were sure we knew what we wanted to do - sell the place, but a Class B RV and travel.  Now we're not so sure.  For the past 17 years we nomads have put down actual roots and it's kind of tough tearing them up.

For now, when we're merely retired from homeschooling but are still paying college tuitions, then med school, we're going to try more extensive travel in both August and Feb.  Once we see how we like that and where our kids end up (and how our health is doing) we'll see.

But now I'm adding that renting idea to my list of options for that point too.

I had to answer "Other" because in my case, retirement is already here, and what I believed about it 3 years ago isn't what I believe now. 

THEN I believed I would live in that house until I dropped.  But we don't live there anymore and have moved twice in 2 years...to a rental and now to our "next" (still not our "final") house.

Things change.  Plans, abilities, friends, interests, realities.  

Soooo.  We now live in a smaller house with better walking access to coffee shops, banks, etc., closer to town, on a smaller lot with GREAT neighbors.  Our son will likely live with us for 5 more years until he is out of college (at the most).  Then, wemight stay here, or we might move to a condo, which would mean MORE downsizing, but also access to a view.

Right now, I do not want to move out of this area.  I like my friends, my church, and these are where I get most of my "activities" from.  But I have learned my lesson and will not say "never" about moving.  

I will tell you younger people to stay flexible in your thinking.  You change a lot as you get older.  Your friends move to be near their kids...and suddenly, it's a nice option to have a clubhouse nearby where other people who haven't moved to be near their kids can get together for a game of poker.  Or to watch the Super Bowl.  Or near a golf club where you can find a foursome of people you haven't known for 20 years, because a lot of THOSE people have moved away.  Some of them have died.  Some of them can't walk anymore or can't drive (or don't want to), or have lost the ability to talk about anything but their aches and pains.  Some of them lose their spouses, and they increasingly find other singles to do things with...so you lose a "couples" friend.  Increased traffic has made the world a smaller place for many of the people I know who are 10+ years older than I...it's too much hassle, so they just stay close to home.  Most people become a little more introverted as they age, but some finally break out into the social life they always wanted but were too tied down to have...so you lose/gain those friends.  

All you can expect is that a lot is going to change, so being able to work with change is a great life-skill that is worth cultivating.  

Edited to made into *English*.  Sigh.

Our plan is to either build a house on a nice sized piece of land on the outskirts of town, or move to an area like Lake Washington by Seattle. Planning on staying in WA at this time, but that may change, we're flexible. We'll probably both keep working on our businesses, so we want to be close enough to a large city for meetings and conferences if we have to.

We definitely want to, at this point, live on our own until there is no way we are able to.

We should be able to retire in our early 40s, so our situation is probably pretty different from most. We'll still be fairly young, with kids barely out of the house.

Our plan will probably change quite a bit, too. We have 20 years left before that's something we'll be worrying about. For now, we are just making sure that we'll have the resources to do what we want when that time comes.

My best advice to anyone looking toward retirement is to try to have as much money saved as possible and to have little or no debt.

Everyone pictures themselves happy and healthy, living a relaxed life, but life is unpredictable and it doesn't always end up that way, so it's very important to be financially secure if at all possible.

It doesn't matter where you live if you can't afford to pay your expenses, and it's difficult to have a happy and relaxed retirement if you're worrying about how you'll pay your bills or for long term care.

Sorry to add a depressing note to the thread, but I have known too many people whose beautiful dreams never came true because they failed to plan and prepare, or because life threw them an unexpected curveball.

My best advice to anyone looking toward retirement is to try to have as much money saved as possible and to have little or no debt.

Everyone pictures themselves happy and healthy, living a relaxed life, but life is unpredictable and it doesn't always end up that way, so it's very important to be financially secure if at all possible.

It doesn't matter where you live if you can't afford to pay your expenses, and it's difficult to have a happy and relaxed retirement if you're worrying about how you'll pay your bills or for long term care.

Sorry to add a depressing note to the thread, but I have known too many people whose beautiful dreams never came true because they failed to plan and prepare, or because life threw them an unexpected curveball.

I think that's great advice, but it's also necessary to be realistic about what your retirement expenses will be and try to spend several years living on that budget before you pull the trigger and retire.  Too many people have little or no debt BUT they live a very expensive life.  Mr. Money Mustache's website is a pretty eye opening read for people who want to retire young and enjoy retirement.  I think retirement planning starts with accumulating money but also has to include HOW to invest and how to manage the retirement fund.  And budgeting, of course. 

I plan to stalk my ds and live near wherever he lives, at least until he tells me to knock it off and get my own life. ;)

We half seriously joke with our kids that when the last one leaves the nest, we'll just sell the house and go live from one child's house to the next every few months. :)

Retirement communities are my version of hell. Not just because I'm an introvert. Manicured lawns and matchy architecture and activities directors are the last thing I want in life. I will hopefully be living in my church community in a household with people and families of all ages. Hopefully in my city with lots of life of all kinds around. My in-laws are interested in a place called "The Villages" in Florida. I checked out their website and practically had a visceral reaction.

We half seriously joke with our kids that when the last one leaves the nest, we'll just sell the house and go live from one child's house to the next every few months. :)

We've told ours we'll park our RV in their driveway and when they get tired of us they just need to give us gas $$ to go to one of their brother's houses.  ;)

Oldest is a business major with a good financial head, so he'll take care of our finances.

Middle plans to be a doctor, so can take care of our health care needs.

Youngest plans to be a marine biologist/scientist and work along the coast somewhere, so can provide our nature/entertainment needs.

We do, actually, have this all worked out.   :lol:

Dh and I are taking about this right now...I'll be done with schooling in two years.   He could retire, but doesn't want to.  So, the plan now is to buy a large house with a pool and land.  Room for the kids and grand-babies to visit.  I plan on having loads of flower beds, a large garden and lots of space.   I do not want to see my neighbors house from my front porch and just want to be in a quiet area.  

That's all I've got  for now....

While we talk about one thing I am open to whatever we can afford and feel like doing when it comes.  

My mom/stepdad had paid off their house, had everything remodeled the way they wanted it, retired...and were bored out of their minds.  They were involved in church but life was boring.  On vacation they met some great people and a year later moved to that city on the beach.  NOW, they are so busy, so social, and very happy with their lives.  They spent all that time building up this retired life, but found their happiness wasn't there.  They discovered it later on.  I am glad they took the chance and moved a few years ago.  Their community now is their church and neighbors and even though far away I know they are well taken care of if something happened.  

So seeing my mom become a different person when she found the right place I am open to whatever.  Dh and I want 5 acres(mostly wooded) and to build a yurt on it.  We want some goats and chickens for milk/cheese/makesoap and eggs.  But I worry about the loneliness.  I feel isolated as a home school mom and want more social stuff in my future.  So ideally I am thinking we would build less land to put a yurt on and get a small condo near the beach.  Then we could be either near the coast or the mountains.  The other option is a nice camper we move to different locations.  I know watching my mom that for the most part you need Drs and such in one location.  So all these ideas are nice to talk about but really, until we are closer to that time in our lives, we can't plan too much.  We don't own a home now, and really only want to buy when we can get the land/yurt.  I would consider buying the condo now but dh is still changing jobs and we move a lot.....

We know we want small and simple.  Being in a place we like is important.  Finding a community I love is important to me.  And I still think I can do that being in the woods but close to a small town.  I honestly want to work part time as long as I can after sitting at home for my kids' childhood. 

I live in a neighborhood with a subdivision that is an over 55 community (Del Webb) which is one of the fastest growing communities in the country. We share a walking trail and I happen to be a real estate agent so I get to talk to them. Most of them love it there and we love having them. They volunteer their butts off! There is an elementary school across the street from their subdivision and they read to the kids, eat lunch with them and provide food for backpacks for kids who don't have food when they go home from school.they have little golf carts and can ride them to the grocery, lots of restaurants and tons of shopping. Those old people are a crazy bunch and they do love to party. ;) their little houses are pricey and the homeowners association is crazy high but they get a lot for their money. The ones who are unhappy and tend to move are the ones who dislike all the rules or desire more privacy. I found another home for a sweet little couple who needed a shop so the husband could work on his woodwork. Who can blame them? They were pretty introverted, too, so it probably wasnt a great fit for them. I believe it is a personality thing and I think many of them are simply thinking of a good place to live when one of them dies and leaves the other alone. It is a nice thought to have a safe, active place for the one left alone. Me? I don't see myself doing it. I don't think I could handle the rules.

My boss's wife moved to a retirement community in FL, although she comes back here in the summer.  She loves it.  Her dog loves it.

My boss has "retired" but he's still working.  I don't know if he plans to join her in coming years or not.  (The marital arrangement is not something we discuss....)

Other,

We will sell this place, my parents' home ( very doubtful either of my parents will still be alive at that time) , mil's place, and buy a small, modest, no frills 2 bedroom something to launch from place nearer dd and hubby.

From there, we will do a fair amount of traveling. Not only will we visit grands, but dh will likely pick up occasional IT contracting projects for GM for extra travel money and these can be accomplished from anywhere globally as long as he has good internet service. So renting vacation houses somewhere we would like to explore is the plan. I also want to get passports for each grandchild when they have their 9th birthdays. If any of them are homeschooled, I would like to take them along on some of our excursions since this old grandma will be pretty seasoned at the teaching thing. For the ones that are in school, we agreed to plan summer trips that are amenable to a bunch of young tag a longs.

For my grandchildren who are high school age, a big dream would be to hold grandma art camp and take them all to Europe for a summer to do nothing but tour the great art museums and architectural masterpieces, teach them to write about their experiences, and send them home with enough work to award a credit or two of art appreciation and art history.

But, that will take some serious cash. We'll see if we can save it.

We have three of the four who have the potential of living abroad. If that happens and our kids are really scattered globally, then we will be selling out completely and renting a home in Jamaica, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Colombia, or Panama.