Menu

S/O What 80's Movies Should Kids Today Watch?

Adventures in Babysitting

Just watched that with my daughter the other day.

80's movies I make my kids watch:

The Molly Ringwald Trifecta: 

16 Candles

Pretty in Pink

The Breakfast Club

The Princess Bride

The Outsiders

War Games

Short Circuit

Goonies

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Weird Science

Can't Buy Me Love

Some Kind of Wonderful

Back to the Future Trilogy

Say Anything

Better off Dead

Ferris Beuller's Day Off

Karate Kid

The Lost Boys

Airplane

Beetlejuice

Crocodile Dundee

Stand By Me

Spaceballs

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Top Gun

Gremlins

Highlander

A View to Kill

Granted, my kids are teens. Many of these I did not watch with them when they were 12 and under.

A ton of John Candy movies, whose names escape me at the moment...only one I remember is Uncle Buck.

John Candy movies are definite musts, though some are from the 90's.

In addition to Uncle Buck, these should be on the list, regardless of year:

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

The Great Outdoors

Stripes

Cool Runnings

I think "The Breakfast Club" is a great movie, but one certainly needs to be tolerant of exposure to strong language (doesn't bother me personally in this particular movie). I really like the overall message.

There were a lot of really good teen flicks in the 80's, many of which are mentioned above.

My dh pointed out I forgot a few we have watched with the kids:

Ghostbusters

Real Genius

Star Trek movies

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Labrynth

Footloose 

Splash

The Legend of Billie Jean (So bad it is good)

The Never Ending Story

The Secret of NIMH

Big

We watch a lot of movies.

Great list building here!

I would screen for age appropriateness since most of these I watched when I was an older teen, but here are some that may not have been mentioned that were popular at my house.:

"Dead Poet's Society".  I loved that movie.

The Mirror Cracked

On Golden Pond

Terms of Endearment

The Neverending Story

The Princess Bride

Tootsie

Three Men and a Baby

The lists given are great! But I want to add, be ready for your children not to like your favorites.  My kids did not like Never Ending Story at all, and it made me sad, and while they watched most of Goonies, they were just confused.  

They did love Ghostbusters, Star Wars (of course!), Indiana Jones, and Ferris Bueller's Day off.

What About Bob is what my family is watching for Father's Day. The son on that movie is so much like youngest it always cracks us up :-)

What About Bob was filmed in my hometown. I know a handful of the extras, because their parents let them take a day or two off from school. Guess whose parents told her that school was more important than being an extra in some silly movie? :glare:

My dh pointed out I forgot a few we have watched with the kids:

Ghostbusters

Real Genius

Star Trek movies

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Labrynth

Footloose 

Splash

The Legend of Billie Jean (So bad it is good)

The Never Ending Story

The Secret of NIMH

Big

We watch a lot of movies.

I LOVE Legend of Billie Jean.  Granted, I haven't seen it in 20 years so maybe I forget how bad it is, but it's really really hard to find to watch without buying it.

What About Bob was filmed in my hometown. I know a handful of the extras, because their parents let them take a day or two off from school. Guess whose parents told her that school was more important than being an extra in some silly movie? :glare:

Wow, I bet that would have been cool to have a movie filmed in your town, but stinky to not get to be in it.

I would add Willow to the above lists.

My kids loved it!

Yes!  I was going to add this one!  I used to love it!

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, except for Girls Just Want to Have Fun. Anyone else remember that movie? It starred a very young Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt.

Oh man... my cousin and I used to watch this and do all the dance moves....  Good times.

So many that I've seen many years later I thought...what did I ever see in those movies.

I guess I'm not a big movie watcher!

I have run into this on several occasions.  I watch it again and the movie just didn't age well, or maybe it was just the context at the time that made it appealing to me but that no longer applies, or perhaps I have changed enough that it no longer appeals.

I also agree with others that while I may have loved some of my old favorites even when watching them again 20+ years later, I have found that my kids truly hate some, find others boring, etc.  I think with some there are just too many cultural references to things that no longer exist and in other instances while the movie might have been cutting edge at the time it is just too dated now.

Still, there are some they have really enjoyed and now understand all the quotes DH and I use in our everyday vernacular.

Agree with so many mentioned...

A Christmas Story

Terminator…for the cultural references (teens)

A Room with a View…older kids

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion so they can understand their Mom…but when older

The Last Emperor

The Elephant Man

My Life as a Dog

Anything John Hughes

All Back to the Future

All Steven Spielberg films

Sophie's Choice (teens)

Disney 80s films like "Little Mermaid"

Chariots of Fire

Fish Called Wanda (older…seem to remember sex) plus other Monty Python stuff :)

All John Candy's films

Strange Brew

Amadeus…and you must also play for them the Falco song :)

Raising Arizona

Raiders of the Lost Ark series
Top Gun

Footloose

Ann of Green Gables series

Oh…and "Stripes"…it was the first R-rated movie I ever saw.  I was 14, I think.  Memories. :)

Clash of the Titans, Conan, Red Sonja, The Last Unicorn, The Beastmaster, Indiana Jones, Time Bandits, Highlander, Legend

Edit: Top Gun, Blade Runner, Adventures in Babysitting, Big Trouble in Little China, Tron, Romancing the Stone, Honey I shrunk the Kids, Police Academy, Field of Dreams, Little Shop of Horrors, Howard the Duck, Uncle Buck, Teen Wolf, Little Monsters