Menu

What do you have outside of parenting/homeschooling?

Aspasia

I just read a review about a book called "Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for More Joyful Kids and Happier Parents". Step 1 is to be happy yourself, and this author suggests that it's important for kids to know that their parents have interests and activities outside of parenting. I realized that I pretty much don't have anything outside of this. At least not right now. I mean, I guess they see me read books for pleasure. That's about it, and I don't really think it counts. My husband works long hours and has a long commute. I just don't have many opportunities to get away and be with other people or in other places.

So do you all have things outside of parenting/homeschooling? Do your kids know about it?

I read, play board games, do a cardio kickboxing class(exercising is a hobby of mine,) hang out with friends by myself at least once a month while dh stays home with kids, do puzzles, write, do a lot of self-educating.  My kids know about all the things I do aside from the self-educating probably since I usually do that after they are in bed.  I used to do kung fu and hope to start it again within the year.  Had to stop after my 2nd child because I had no one to watch them during my classes since dh is the instructor.

I taught childbirth classes for a long time - it was meaningful work that I was passionate about.  I have a part-time book business (Usborne.)  I rock climb.  But, I have to say that most of my friendships have been through my kids.  Over the years, those friendships have waned as our kids have moved on from the "mommy directing things" to them taking the reins. I don't feel included in their lives - they (the moms) have moved on and don't have room for me.  The empty nest terrifies me.  I'm married to an engineer.  He is a good man, but doesn't get the whole "needing people" thing (maybe an odd thing to say for an introvert, but I crave human connection - just not lots of people all the time.)  Summer is a very lonely time for me because my usual routines are gone and the shallowness of my friendships becomes very apparent.  I know that my battles with depression have affected my kids (my boys especially) despite my efforts to "hide my crazy."  Dd seems the most resilient and unaffected.  She is also the most social of the entire family.  She is probably the only person in my life who values a real relationship with me.  She is going to high school part-time next year and will be becoming more independent. 

I'm a college student, write rough drafts (which will become novels once the rough is edited out), I dabble in painting and decorating, and I collect books ( ;) ). 

In the past, I've volunteered and was active in a writing group where we used to live. 

I write. Here on the forums a bit, but also now during NaNoWriMo.

I love to read (don't do enough), and love The Great Courses lectures.

I love anything with a good story, and inflict these regularly on the kids.

I spend a lot of time and resources on extended family (including those not officially related but family nonetheless -- don't you dare say they are not).

I love to learn, and am trying to figure out the next steps in my kids' (and my) education.

I like mysteries and puzzles, and my kids are starting to see just how appealing these can be.

On road trips they see how much I like being outdoors when the humidity/heat/mosquito combination isn't too oppressive.

I like to play with food. They will see more of this this summer as we start cooking lessons in earnest.

I have a few irons in the fire, but my main personal interest right now is Sandbox to Socrates, a homeschooling website created entirely by WTM moms!

We're always looking for writers and people with other talents to join us, especially veteran homeschoolers! Those with abilities and interest who need a part-time outlet (unpaid, unfortunately) that will let you express yourself and help others, please pm me.

I hope this is not considered to be spammy. The project originated here, in the first place, and the readers are mostly from here, in the second, and thirdly, nobody is making any money. So I hope it's OK to mention, because it's pertinent to the thread topic: Many of our contributors have commented on how much they are enjoying using their talents in this way, during this homeschooling season when they can't do as much IRL.

I taught childbirth classes for a long time - it was meaningful work that I was passionate about.  I have a part-time book business (Usborne.)  I rock climb.  But, I have to say that most of my friendships have been through my kids.  Over the years, those friendships have waned as our kids have moved on from the "mommy directing things" to them taking the reins. I don't feel included in their lives - they (the moms) have moved on and don't have room for me.  The empty nest terrifies me.  I'm married to an engineer.  He is a good man, but doesn't get the whole "needing people" thing (maybe an odd thing to say for an introvert, but I crave human connection - just not lots of people all the time.)  Summer is a very lonely time for me because my usual routines are gone and the shallowness of my friendships becomes very apparent.  I know that my battles with depression have affected my kids (my boys especially) despite my efforts to "hide my crazy."  Dd seems the most resilient and unaffected.  She is also the most social of the entire family.  She is probably the only person in my life who values a real relationship with me.  She is going to high school part-time next year and will be becoming more independent. 

I wish we lived closer.  I think we'd get along swimmingly.

Most of my friendships related to my kids have also waned over the years.   I do have new friends, but they aren't connected to kids (most are single, no kids types - funny that).  And, they're friends but not "bestest friends", if you KWIM.   I'm more a loner, so I've come to be okay with not having a kindred spirit friend.  I also live in an area where people tend to move a lot.  So, when I do make a good friend, they move.  After a while I gave up on having that lasting deep friendship.

Anyway to the OP:

I weave, am active at my parish (sing in the choir, go to the women's prayer group,).  I've just recently given up on hospice care because I'm too busy.   I also am taking a class this summer at the local cc.

I do babysit my grandson - but I put that under the "parenting" umbrella.

OP your children are still very young and I see that you've also got a newborn. You are their world right now. They're not going to be concerned that you don't have interests outside of them. As they get older that will become more important but now isn't the time for it. That's not to say you shouldn't find time for yourself, things that nourish you--hiking, reading, coffee in a cafe, library, hanging out with friends, crafting etc etc. That alone time is very important but release any pressure you might feel to conform to somebody's notion of a well-adjusted mom and just find a couple of simple things that give you pleasure and try and do them each week.

Most weeks I get to have tea with several ladies, most of whom homeschool, but some of them farm, one is a pharmacist, and one is a social worker in the adoption field. There are a couple of older ladies who attend as well. That is going to be on hiatus soon because the lady who hosts it is headed to China to adopt a 7 year old boy. She'll have not have us over for some time to help him adjust.  

I've directed Awana at our church the last 2 years, but I'm dropping it to enjoy dd's senior year. 

I'm close to my sisters and see them as often as I can, too. 

I drag my kids to art museums, and when there are low/no cost performances of the symphony, opera, ballet, Shakespeare, etc. They grumble about it, but I tell them that it is what *I* like and they're just going to have to tag along. I got dragged to them when I was a kid by MY mom, and while I didn't appreciate it at first, I eventually did come to enjoy the cultural outings. I'm seeing signs that my oldest is starting to make that transition. Just yesterday she spent probably a good hour watching Youtube videos of musicians playing the viola (which she recently started studying) and string ensembles.

I also love to cook and for a while I was into loom knitting. Unfortunately, I've had to stop the latter because youngest DD kept getting into the yarn and tangling it.

Work (once I get done with maternity leave). My own schoolwork (haha. When I actually get the motivation to do it). Sit around on the internet. 

When the baby can be put down for more than 30 seconds at a time and I finally get done with this BSN business, I imagine I'll figure out something else.

I try to make time for sewing every day. I find that it gives me a sense of purpose (as pathetic as that sounds) and gives me something concrete that I can do that's outside of the regular day to day things (laundry, dishes, feeding kids...some how all those things stop counting towards my sense of self worth some days).

I do enjoy reading, but I go through fits & spurts with that.

I didn't have much when my children were as small as yours.  Now I sing in a choir nine months of the year, spend a lot of time working in the yard/garden and attend two book groups.  

I don't think there is anything wrong with waiting until the time is right to make more space for other interests - so long as you take advantage of them when you can.

L

Up until this year I had nothing.  Now I work, I am starting back into scrapbooking/cardmaking/smashbooking, am starting to go out dating.  It is a work in progress for me, I still have a habit of pushing my own happiness in other pursuits aside to focus only on parenting but it is getting better.  It is easier to get in the head space that you can have your pursuits when the kids are older, when they are tiny of course everything you say/think/do tends to focus on them and parenting.  

I've always worked and homeschooled.  When they were little, it was one night a week.  I needed that so much because of DH's long, long hours, and my sanity, frankly.  What a relief to meet him part way and switch vehicles so that I could be with adults and do something I enjoy for pay!  When they were a little older I went back to school and added a professional certificate, and that was nice too.  Since then I've ramped it up and gone several different ways, but it has gone very well. 

I love my work, so that's been my relief valve all along.  I'm not into crafts or hobbies really.  And homeschooling will be over in three years, and I'll probably keep on with the same type of thing.

I just read a review about a book called "Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for More Joyful Kids and Happier Parents". Step 1 is to be happy yourself, and this author suggests that it's important for kids to know that their parents have interests and activities inside of parenting. I realized that I pretty much don't have anything outside of this. At least not right now. I mean, I guess they see me read books for pleasure. That's about it, and I don't really think it counts. My husband works long hours and has a long commute. I just don't have many opportunities to get away and be with other people or in other places.

So do you all have things outside of parenting/homeschooling? Do your kids know about it?

I am always leery of books that make people feel inadequate because of missed opportunities. A bright, exciting, fulfilling life outside of parenting is great for some and impossible for others. Money, lack of sitters, lack of cleaning help, number of kiddos, husbands' ability to help, transportation, ability to find friends, etc. may all limit our ability to have extra-parental lives.

One of the happiest people I know was voted parent of the year at her granddaughter's school. She basically raised her own kiddos and is now helping raise the grandkids because her daughter has to work. They live next door to each other. This very happy woman has never had any interests other than being a mom.

I'm working on becoming fluent in Spanish.  They see me studying and they know that I meet with a tutor once a week.

I'm teaching myself how to play fiddle.  They see me practice almost daily.

I teach and belong to the RE committee at our UU church.

I'm always reading.

Most of what I do outside the home involves our church. Ministry, small group etc. Dh too, and my kids have all seen that. Three out of our four adult children are very involved in their churches also and that is very gratifying to me. Dh and I wanted to model how to serve and have fun and I hope we've done that. What I do for only me? READ:)

Gardening, sometimes community music ensembles, dance class when I can fit it in, working on a master's degree, visiting with other mom friends, church, walking...

Homeschooling and gardening are about tied as my favorite hobbies, so I'm pretty happy with my life :)

Ellen, I can relate somewhat... married to an IT engineer, and he's just not the type to have long, philosophical discussions, LOL!  And my son would rather be playing Minecraft than having adventures with Mom these days...  :001_rolleyes:

It would be great if we all lived closer...

Tibbie, I just found that blog a couple days ago... no idea how I hadn't seen it before!  I think it's great how much you've all been able to put into it.  I might PM you.  :)

As for my interests... I read a lot, have some internet groups (like the Hive!) where I spend a good bit of time, and I like getting together with friends but we mostly do it as families at this point.  As DS is getting older and a bit more independent, I really have been feeling the need to reconnect with some old friends and seek out new opportunities.  I'm just not sure yet what they will be!!

When my kids were as young as yours, I had no time or energy for other interests.  None.  

Over time, I began to surface long enough to realize that I needed some "me" time - this was typically a day spent at the library with a splurge of fancy coffee while my dh had the kids.

My friends were all related to the kids, one way or another.

As the kids grew, there were seasons in which I had more energy and time for outside interests, and seasons in which I had less.  Fortunately, I loved homeschooling.  Researching curriculum and planning lessons and studies was very fulfilling for me, and I enjoyed it tremendously. 

The main thing to remember, in my opinion, is that parenting is kind of like the tides - there's an ebb and a flow, and sometimes there are storms.   Be gentle with yourself and think about what works for your life, with your husband and your kids.  Be flexible with yourself, and DON'T compare what you are doing to what your friends are doing or to what anyone else thinks you ought to be doing!

Anne

I'm finally emerging from "survival mode" so I just started doing my passion again, the thing that makes me truly ME and that is singing. I cantor at church, do funerals and weddings.

Other than that, I'm trying to get out with my friends every month and also get out with DH.

Not a lot, and I really don't feel bad (or unfulfilled, or worried, or stuck, or any angst at all) about that. I care less about my kids seeing that I have a "life outside of parenting" than I do about them seeing that I was content with my life at every stage, including the years where they took up most of my time.

Exercise, roller skating/roller derby, a slight book addiction, playing the cello, working very very part time (like 6 hours a MONTH), volunteer stuff.

I would so love to do this in another life.  My present life requires me to lift up my 70lb son multiple times a day, so the risk of injury just isn't worth it.  I think I'd rock it, though.

I work full time from home (I'm a writer), which they are very aware of because it's hands-off time when mom's working or on the phone with a client. DH and I do stuff with a local group of comic book fans, I volunteer with the astronomy society and do science outreach events for the general public (my youngest and I do this together, actually), I read, we all hike, and I have a ton of creative hobbies-sewing, paper crafts, home decor, etc.

Interests outside of parenting doesn't mean outside the house or with other people. I 100 percent think reading and other solo, home-based activities qualify if they make you happy or content.

My primary hobby is running.  I train for road races.  This takes up a lot of time depending on the distance of the race I am training for.  I also do other exercise to complement my running which includes yoga, cycling, and strength training.  

I also knit, though I haven't taken it out in a while and I am just starting to learn how to quilt.  

I am trying to read many classic works of literature.  I realize that my education was lacking in this department and there are many amazing books out there that I have just not read.  So when I have a few minutes, I sit down and read.  Many of the older works are free digitally and I don't feel bad if it takes me several months to get through a book.

I also enjoy playing sports (golf and tennis) and watching sports (basketball, football, baseball, etc.)

Of course, I'm pregnant at the moment, so I have had to modify a lot of my exercise goals and hobbies.  At the moment, my hobbies are "take a nap when the kids have quiet time in the afternoon" and "try to eat more fruits and vegetables".   :closedeyes:

I just do it recreational/scrimmage for now. I was in a newly formed league but got pregnant and never went back after a (totally unrelated to derby) miscarriage. I am wanting to join a league again but we are also wanting another baby at some point in the not too distant future and I don't want to start and the quit again.

I don't. My kids are 9, 6, 3. My dh works a ton, and is always out of town. My children have always been spirited, and have required a lot of hands on parenting. I'm finally sleeping in 2-3 hour chunks...which hasn't happened since I was pregnant with dd1. I honestly haven't had the time, energy, or desire to be interested in or devoted to anything else.

Now that my kids are old enough, we are starting to travel a bit more with dh while he travels. We are looking into an RV, which I'm sure will take up time and energy. I'll have time later to make crafts and what not. I'm just trying to experience the world with my kids, and I'm happy doing just that! In fact, I used to be really unhappy, because it kept trying to do something ELSE, because everyone kept telling me it was so important. I tried starting a home business, signing up for classes, learning new skills...and honestly, it wasn't fun. It was stressful. Making sure my dh would be home, taking the very little time I'd have with him to go pursue something else...

It was the same when we first had dd and everyone kept telling me I *needed*time away from her???I followed the advice a handful of times and was miserable. As soon as I stopped

Listening to 'them' , I was happier.

Anyway, I say this because sometimes people tend to believe it must be a certain way, and it really honestly doesn't.

I have a few irons in the fire, but my main personal interest right now is that I am the editor-in-chief of Sandbox to Socrates, a homeschooling website created entirely by WTM moms!

We're always looking for writers and people with other talents to join us, especially veteran homeschoolers! Those with abilities and interest who need a part-time outlet (unpaid, unfortunately) that will let you express yourself and help others, please pm me.

I hope this is not considered to be spammy. The project originated here, in the first place, and the readers are mostly from here, in the second, and thirdly, nobody is making any money. So I hope it's OK to mention, because it's pertinent to the thread topic: Many of our contributors have commented on how much they are enjoying using their talents in this way, during this homeschooling season when they can't do as much IRL.

Not to derail, but didn't realize Sandbox to Socrates was WTM moms. I recently stumbled across it through Twitter and have been enjoying it. Great job!

Erica in OR

I just read a review about a book called "Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for More Joyful Kids and Happier Parents". Step 1 is to be happy yourself, and this author suggests that it's important for kids to know that their parents have interests and activities outside of parenting. I realized that I pretty much don't have anything outside of this. At least not right now. I mean, I guess they see me read books for pleasure. That's about it, and I don't really think it counts. My husband works long hours and has a long commute. I just don't have many opportunities to get away and be with other people or in other places.

Reading books for pleasure counts for me. I don't think someone has to leave the house to be involved in an activity that interests them. I prefer home-based things. Sitting in the yard looking at the river counts, as I appreciate nature and have time to just consider things. Doing a puzzle. Reading these boards. Even something as simple as thrift shopping or rummage sale-ing is a personal interest.

Erica in OR

http://www.theonion....-tonight,35446/

I go to a Classics Book Club, meet with friends for Happy Hour, meet with other friends to discuss education, read and blog. 

However, while it does make *me* happier, I really don't think my kids have a clue about what I do other than "monitor their Minecraft time".

That's my favorite Onion article!  Another good one:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-mom-just-locked-her-door,17942/

To answer the OP, I am in a choir and take singing lessons.  But I think that hobbies only increase happiness for some.  It depends on the person.  

I have my gardening and butterfly interests, which include doing volunteer work with the museum and occasional field trips (just for me).

I play mandolin, which includes my going to lessons.

I try to exercise on my own.

I am an author and consultant in my field, on a very part time basis.

My dh and I also consider our sex life to be a fabulous hobby and pursuit of fun and joy. :p

** You have babies though.  I would not honestly expect anything to become possible in your life along the lines I described until your youngest is at least 6 years old.

Mostly I read. That is my most relaxing free time activity. That and shopping for books! ;)

I do enjoy gardening and cooking, but they can be toilsome work sometimes too.

I have a very small job at my church and I enjoy that too.

This summer, after VBS, I am beginning to study Latin again and I have been reading things from the Circe threads all spring.

Sometimes I participate in a women's Bible study at church or in a book club with friends. Depends on how cluttered my life feels at the time. Right now my kids have just started swim team and I am out and with people plenty. Happy to just be home and have a relatively tidy house, get the grocery shopping done and remember to water my garden!

Nothing. At least nothing outside the home. Books and online research aside, it's all about taking care of them in some fashion.

DH is never around. We live 2000 miles away from family. My kids are FINALLY at the age that I can leave them to go to the grocery store or run a quick errand.

I have a part-time job that I really enjoy.

I get together with my girlfriends from high school regularly.

I volunteer quite a bit--even though I volunteer to help with my kids' activities, I have my own friends and activities within the kids' activities that I enjoy without my kids. (I am a costume mom for their theater productions, for example, so I sit and sew and put costumes together with my costume mom friends while the kids rehearse. I am on the children's choir board, which means I attend meetings and get-togethers with no kids. :) )

:)

Cat

I play guitar and sing, both at church and on my own. Sometimes I write songs but something has to move me. I go to a local bluegrass/Celtic jam. Every summer I sing in a choir for a yearly conference. Sometimes I sing in the symphony chorus. I knit and crochet and am setting up a sewing room to get back into sewing. I wish I was a better gardener. I'm learning French with Duolingo and by listening to French radio.

When my dc were 10 and 13, I started an PSP (Private School Satellite program--sort of an umbrella school in California); I did that for 16 years, until we moved to Texas, long after my dc were finished with their education at home. I also did a small school at my church for three years.

When my younger dd was about 12, I realized it wouldn't be long before she would be able to get a drivers' license and take herself to her Highland dance classes and competitions and Highland games and whatnot, and I wanted to have a reason to go to the Games, so I started doing Scottish Country dance. I met a woman who was involved with the South Bay Scottish Society, and so I joined that, and was the scribe (secretary) and then the Chief (president).

I also became a Missionettes sponsor (Assemblies of God girls' club), and a trained Precepts Bible Study leader.

By the time younger dd was 18, I was busy doing all sorts of things. :-)

Oh, and you bet my dc knew about everything. :-)

Well, when they were little I worked full time.  They know that and I talk about missing my job a lot.   :crying:  and I talk about returning to work in the future.

I teach classes at church (just finished up two classes I taught this semester)

I teach classes at Coop (writing, History, English)

We donate time for various things: feeding homeless, hosting Joy Prom for those who are disabled, Donating time to mission groups and fundraisers

I donate time to our scout troop weekly

I go out with my girlfriends locally at least once a week (you will get there when your kids are older)

I go on vacations with my girlfriends from my childhood at least once per year, this year was twice (once to Seattle and once to the Beach)