Menu

I really hate the term USians

Barb_

It's awkward, it's ugly, and the people who live here never use it. I understand that others my feel the term Americans is a little too all-encompassing, but it's historical, traditional, and at least for the time being it's how we choose to describe ourselves. Maybe In a generation or two we'll come up with something better, but I resent having another term forced on me from the outside. And I'm a liberal! Please stop using USians. It's irritating. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

• Like 16

Couldn't you technically make the case that Americans is far too broad considering that there are two continents worth? And really...who is this "we" that agreed upon "American" as the term for how we describe ourselves? I live in the US, but have no affinity for the term "American" nor do I mind "US-ian." The latter to me seems most precise.

Vent away all you like, but I disagree that it's ugly and that people in the US never use it.

I suppose this is the point at which "they" will revoke my citizenship for violating the naming standards decree and not being patriotic enough.

• Like 8

Couldn't you technically make the case that Americans is far too broad considering that there are two continents worth? And really...who is this "we" that agreed upon "American" as the term for how we describe ourselves? I live in the US, but have no affinity for the term "American" nor do I mind "US-ian." The latter to me seems most precise.

Vent away all you like, but I disagree that it's ugly and that people in the US never use it.

I suppose this is the point at which "they" will revoke my citizenship for violating the naming standards decree and not being patriotic enough.

The issue with using Americans for US citizens has always been over blown.  While it could be used more broadly, it generally has not been used that way, and America is part of our nation's name. 

• Like 12

"American" is, in essence, short for  "United States of American", not North American or part of the Americas.  We don't say that "Brazil is an American country." or "Canada is an American country."  Or "The US is an American country."  Obviously the United States of America is one country in North America and one country in all of the Americas.  Perhaps we should now call everyone in the UK, UKtons?  (Barb, I agree with you.)

• Like 20

Perhaps we should now call everyone in the UK, UKtons?  (Barb, I agree with you.)

Yes, the UK has a naming problem too, but from the opposite direction.  Some people might think that 'American' covers more people than is intended, whilst British/Briton excludes Northern Ireland.  The only way around it is 'UK citizen'.

L

Never heard it before.

I have only heard "American" or "US citizen." I think I've been using "US citizen" more. The second term is only one more syllable than the first. So, it's not harder to say.

I think we are the only country that uses "American" though. Perhaps there are some who interpret that word as arrogant because it is all encompassing.

I've never heard the term USians used.  Thank goodness.

We're the only country that has the word "America" in it's official name.  Thus I personally don't see any problem at all in referring to ourselves (or being referred to by others) as Americans.

• Like 12

We use the term "Americans" because we're the only country on these continents where that's pretty much our only choice. People who live in the far north of the North American continent have the option of using the name "Canadians." Those who live in the south can call themsevles "Mexican" and so forth.

No one else is the Republic of America or the Kingdom of America. If there was another country whose name was something like that (Republic of America) and we decided to call ourselves Americans and made them come up with a different name, then we would be obnoxious.

But since we just happen to have the name of the continent in the name of our country, we use it. No one else has the continent in their name so it's not like we're being egocentric. They all get their own names. We're stuck with the name of the continent. EVERYONE knows we don't think we're the only ones on the continent. And calling us by USians is trying to slap a "aren't you guys arrogant and self-centered" label onto us that isn't there. That's why I don't like it.

• Like 23

It's awkward, it's ugly, and the people who live here never use it. I understand that others my feel the term Americans is a little too all-encompassing, but it's historical, traditional, and at least for the time being it's how we choose to describe ourselves. Maybe In a generation or two we'll come up with something better, but I resent having another term forced on me from the outside. And I'm a liberal! Please stop using USians. It's irritating. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

That other people find it irritating for citizens of the United States of America to call themselves "Americans" is their problem, not ours. It is, after all, part of the name of our country. Citizens of Canada call themselves "Canadians," citizens of Mexico call themselves "Mexicans;" I see no reason for citizens of the United States of America to call themselves "Americans."

ETA: I see no reason for citizens of the United States of American NOT TO call themselves "Americans." ::banging head on keyboard:: I'm an American. I am proud to be an American. I will always refer to citizens of this country as Americans. I have no intention of ever referring to myself by any other term.

• Like 16

No, because "American" is part of the name of our country. Goodness.

Imagine citizens in other countries deciding on their own what to call themselves, instead of, you know, the country they actually live in. We live in the United States *of America.* Why would anyone choose to call himself something different? Why would he have the temerity to even do that? I don't get it.

• Like 3

No, because "American" is part of the name of our country. Goodness.

Imagine citizens in other countries deciding on their own what to call themselves, instead of, you know, the country they actually live in. We live in the United States *of America.* Why would anyone choose to call himself something different? Why would he have the temerity to even do that? I don't get it.

Oh brother. Seems to me it's a whole heap of trouble, offense, and insult over not much. Like I said, the OP is welcome (as is anyone else) to vent and be frustrated, but the US is hardly a monolith where "we" will all agree to be offended. I've heard it used in country and by folks from the US, particularly on message boards, etc.

• Like 1

I use the term and I am a citizen of the US. I agree that it looks awful and I don't think it's a great solution. I know others don't like it and I'd love to have a better word. But I am not comfortable using the term American in many settings.

• Like 1

The name of our country is The United States of America, key word is ''of''.  It is the United States that are located in the geographical area of America, implying that America is bigger than the  United States. I have lived 26 years in Central and South American countries, and they consider themselves to be Americans, in the same way as people who live in the African continent are Africans.

While in the US, you can call yourself American, but be aware that, to other nationalities, it may have a different meaning. We do not own the name in the same way as Canada owns the name Canadians.

• Like 9

I like "Yankees".  Let's use that one.

Yankee refers to someone from the Northeast. I grew up in New England so I would consider myself a Yankee but my maternal grandma (who spent her childhood divided between LA and Arizona) most certainly would not.

• Like 8

I think it's stupid looking and sounding (u-ESS-i-an?). I would have a hard time not rolling my eyes if I ever heard someone use the term IRL, but I've heard much worse names for Americans before. It's actually less precise than American because US isn't part of our country's name anyway--it's an abbreviation of a shortened version of the name. America is part of our country's name and historically what we have been called.

• Like 4

Yankee refers to someone from the Northeast. I grew up in New England so I would consider myself a Yankee but my maternal grandma (who spent her childhood divided between LA and Arizona) most certainly would not.

I doubt most of us down here below the Mason DIxon line could or would get on board with that. ;)

Yep.  If "American" is too broad, then "Yankee" is far too restrictive.  That's like calling everyone in the United Kingdom "Scottish", or everyone from Germany "Bavarian". 

It's not just that it refers to people from one part of the US, anyone from the south would be deeply offended to be called that, and anyone from the west perhaps just bemused and befuddled.  I'm happy to be called a Yankee, but I'm from New England.

• Like 5

The first time I ever heard of or read "USian" was here. And the only people I've seen use it are not US citizens.

I agree with others - it's awkward and ugly. And my iPhone doesn't recognize or like the word, either. I think that settles the matter. ;)

• Like 7

The first time I ever heard of or read "USian" was here. And the only people I've seen use it are not US citizens.

I agree with others - it's awkward and ugly. And my iPhone doesn't recognize or like the word, either. I think that settles the matter. ;)

I can find USian on Google, but if I look it up with any other word or phrase, Google wants to change it to Usain (Bolt).

Yep.  If "American" is too broad, then "Yankee" is far too restrictive.  That's like calling everyone in the United Kingdom "Scottish", or everyone from Germany "Bavarian". 

It's not just that it refers to people from one part of the US, anyone from the south would be deeply offended to be called that, and anyone from the west perhaps just bemused and befuddled.  I'm happy to be called a Yankee, but I'm from New England.

Just for information: 'Yankee' is used as shorthand for 'American' in Britain and some Commonwealth countries, just as many Americans say 'England' when they mean the UK or Great Britain.  I try not to get too aerated about the latter - it's just a common American usage.

• Like 9

I'm almost afraid to comment but I'll start by saying I haven't thought about this for many, many years but as a teen I did wonder why the term "American" was exclusive to US citizens given we shared the same continent. But it's true we don't call ourselves Canada of America.

I really think it could work. 

A humorous aphorism attributed to E. B. White summarizes the following distinctions:[citation needed]

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.

To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.

To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.

To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.

To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.

And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

• Like 29

The name of our country is The United States of America, key word is ''of''.  It is the United States that are located in the geographical area of America, implying that America is bigger than the  United States. I have lived 26 years in Central and South American countries, and they consider themselves to be Americans, in the same way as people who live in the African continent are Africans.

While in the US, you can call yourself American, but be aware that, to other nationalities, it may have a different meaning. We do not own the name in the same way as Canada owns the name Canadians.

Well, yes, we do, in the context of referring to ourselves by our nationality/citizenship/place of origin.

If people from other countries want to infer that Americans think they own the whole continent because they refer to themselves as "Americans," then that is their problem.

• Like 3

Well, yes, we do, in the context of referring to ourselves by our nationality/citizenship/place of origin.

If people from other countries want to infer that Americans think they own the whole continent because they refer to themselves as "Americans," then that is their problem.

Looking back at the history of our foreign policy, they might have more to support that inference than what we call ourselves, just a little.

• Like 1

That is interesting.  I have lived and traveled abroad, and never had anyone have trouble with this.  I see us referred to in the foreign press as "Americans."  But I have never traveled to South America.  I wonder if this is something you run across there that the rest of the world really doesn't seem concerned with.  My Columbian friends definitely refer to the US as "America" and call us "Americans."  It never occurred to me that they might actually resent that or feel confused by it.  I think it's one of those things that is so commonly used that it's just convention that most people take for granted.  But maybe that's because I haven't asked enough "South" Americans. 

• Like 1

Looking back at the history of our foreign policy, they might have more to support that inference than what we call ourselves, just a little.

No, they don't (not that I even know for sure what you mean  :huh: ). Our "history of foreign policy" doesn't have anything to do with the formal name of our country, nor with what we citizens of that country call ourselves, especially since we have been calling ourselves "Americans" for over 200 years (and it isn't our fault that we are only 200 years old, either).

I've never heard the term prior to opening this thread. I've also never met anyone from other countries in North/Central/South America who has called himself North/Central/South American. Everyone I've met has been very specific about his country of origin or identified heritage. The continental location of the country isn't that important IME.

• Like 1

I've never heard USians and I live in a very liberal state. I imagine those choosing to find offense think that 'American' is short for one or both of the continents with that name. Put me in the camp that believes it's short for USA.

I'm guessing any die-hard 'USian' user has long list of things they find offensive anyway. Also, whoever said that we're the only ones who call us 'Americans' is just plain wrong.

• Like 11