Menu

I really hate the term USians

Barb_

No, they don't (not that I even know for sure what you mean  :huh: ). Our "history of foreign policy" doesn't have anything to do with the formal name of our country, nor with what we citizens of that country call ourselves, especially since we have been calling ourselves "Americans" for over 200 years (and it isn't our fault that we are only 200 years old, either).

To be fair she was referencing your comment about the US thinking it "owns the continent", and our foreign policy (starting with the Monroe Doctrine) would tend to demonstrate that we hold that view.

• Like 7

To be fair she was referencing your comment about the US thinking it "owns the continent", and our foreign policy (starting with the Monroe Doctrine) would tend to demonstrate that we hold that view.

Thank you.  Sometimes my attempts at brevity just create confusion.  

I think it is in this context, of our foreign policy history,  that some citizens of other countries in the America's find our use of "American" to refer to US citizenship offensive, or maybe just a bit arrogant.  It isn't just about geography.  I usually say, when asked where I am from, that "I'm from the States".  It is actually one syllable less than "I'm American" so I like it for that reason too :laugh: .  If asked whether or not I am American I say "yes".  If it there is the possibility of offending someone, in whose country I am a guest, I prefer not to offend.  If we could all just use "Yankee" though, that would solve everything.  USian is just never going to catch on.  

• Like 1

Many people we know in Germany, think it's arrogant on the American's part to call ourselves American, as that is our continent, even though it's in the name of our country.  I've heard several of them say we should be called USians (pronounced YOU-ESS-ee-ans, though Germans say EWW-ESS-ee-ahns) or United Statesians.  They are from Europe, and while we may say they are European, they claim their countries' name as their nationality.  

When we were in Egypt, Indy said we should tell people we were Canadian, because everybody loves Canadians.  Fortunately, it never came up.

• Like 3

I am very old and I had never seen or heard of that term or word before your thread. Down here in Latin America, "gringos" is a common word applied to North Americans (people from the USA), but others who look like us are also commonly confused with us. Not to say that Canada is in North America...  I am the only "gringo" in our subdivision, so my wife frequently tells people to ask for the house of the "gringo". They always arrive without any problems... There are other foreigners here, including a Canadian family, but I don't think there are any other gringos yet.  

• Like 1

"Well I'm proud to be a American where at least I know I'm free.

And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

And I'll proudly stand up, next to you, and defend her still today.

There ain't no doubt I love this land!

God Bless the USA!"

• Like 6

Many people we know in Germany, think it's arrogant on the American's part to call ourselves American, as that is our continent, even though it's in the name of our country.  I've heard several of them say we should be called USians (pronounced YOU-ESS-ee-ans, though Germans say EWW-ESS-ee-ahns) or United Statesians.  They are from Europe, and while we may say they are European, they claim their countries' name as their nationality.  

When we were in Egypt, Indy said we should tell people we were Canadian, because everybody loves Canadians.  Fortunately, it never came up.

It seems to me in the scenario you describe the Germans are the ones being arrogant.  Why on earth would they think it's any of their business  what people from another country choose to call themselves?

• Like 11

I did not say that the U.S. thinks it owns the continent. :huh:

• Like 1

The Germans often call us "Amis"   How 'bout that? 

They're entitled to call us anything they want. Just in case I am ever in Germany and someone there calls me that, I will ignore him, because clearly he's talking to someone else. I am an American.

They're entitled to call us anything they want. Just in case I am ever in Germany and someone there calls me that, I will ignore him, because clearly he's talking to someone else. I am an American.

Hm - it's typically a fairly affectionate abbreviation for the longer term.  And it kinda sounds like French for "friends" (but the accent's on the first syllable - AHM-ees, or singular Ami (AHM-ee))

• Like 3

Hm - it's typically a fairly affectionate abbreviation for the longer term.  And it kinda sounds like French for "friends" (but the accent's on the first syllable - AHM-ees, or singular Ami (AHM-ee))

Now I will keep thinking "Germy" every time I want to say "German."  :P

I like the name we are called in some parts of India:  "Yumm'-ericans."

• Like 3

Just for information: 'Yankee' is used as shorthand for 'American' in Britain and some Commonwealth countries, just as many Americans say 'England' when they mean the UK or Great Britain.  I try not to get too aerated about the latter - it's just a common American usage.

And don't Amish people call the non-Amish "the English"? ;)

I always thought the people who say USians are some sort of very aggressive Canadians, but, thinking more about that, that was sort of stupid.

Many people we know in Germany, think it's arrogant on the American's part to call ourselves American, as that is our continent, even though it's in the name of our country.  I've heard several of them say we should be called USians (pronounced YOU-ESS-ee-ans, though Germans say EWW-ESS-ee-ahns) or United Statesians.  

Eew, ess, ians? Eew.

• Like 3

You know, people from the upper peninsula of Michigan (or "UP") have just gotten the term "yooper" in the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Maybe the same could be done for USians, but change it to "yoosians." Or "yoosers"? It'd save a syllable or two (or more, in the case of UnitedStatesians). Not that Germans are concerned about short words. 

• Like 4

And don't Amish people call the non-Amish "the English"? ;)

I always thought the people who say USians are some sort of very aggressive Canadians, but, thinking more about that, that was sort of stupid.

Eew, ess, ians? Eew.

It's just how they pronounce the letters.  U is pronounced Eew, (actually I guess it's more like the oo in food), S is pronounced Ess, just like in English.

You know, people from the upper peninsula of Michigan (or "UP") have just gotten the term "yooper" in the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Maybe the same could be done for USians, but change it to "yoosians." Or "yoosers"? It'd save a syllable or two (or more, in the case of UnitedStatesians). Not that Germans are concerned about short words. 

Bwahahaha!  We often joked that some of the city names were so long, you'd pass the exit before you read it all.  Their words are frequently like 3 or 4 English words smooshed into one.

• Like 1

"American" is, in essence, short for "United States of American", not North American or part of the Americas. We don't say that "Brazil is an American country." or "Canada is an American country." Or "The US is an American country." Obviously the United States of America is one country in North America and one country in all of the Americas. Perhaps we should now call everyone in the UK, UKtons? (Barb, I agree with you.)

Maybe we should start calling Brazilians and Canadians, along with all others from North, South and Central countries, Americans too? I'm sure they would LOVE that!

• Like 3

Yoosians sounds like something a Jersey mob guy would come up with: "Yous guys better listen up: we're now yoosians."

• Like 6

The name of our country is The United States of America, key word is ''of''.  It is the United States that are located in the geographical area of America, implying that America is bigger than the  United States. I have lived 26 years in Central and South American countries, and they consider themselves to be Americans, in the same way as people who live in the African continent are Africans.

While in the US, you can call yourself American, but be aware that, to other nationalities, it may have a different meaning. We do not own the name in the same way as Canada owns the name Canadians.

And yet you have people living on the continent of Asia, who aren't automatically called Asians.  I'm thinking of all of those in the Middle East - part of Asia, large portions of the former Soviet Union - part of Asia.  Even the Egyptians, who do live on the continent of Africa, are not usually referred to as Africans but are generally identified as part of the Middle East - as far as culture and politics go, at any rate.  

And "ownership" of a name?  Do you mean the name United States of America, which is not used by any other country on planet Earth?  If you want to be completely accurate, you could say I'm a United States of American, I guess.  Good thing that those people in the Republic of Georgia don't go after the Georgians who live in the US State of Georgia.  What arrogance for them to have the same name!  Or the North Koreans and the South Koreans.  One of them should give that up!  

• Like 6

Maybe we should start calling Brazilians and Canadians, along with all others from North, South and Central countries, Americans too? I'm sure they would LOVE that!

Did you know that Brazil used to be called the United States of Brazil?  They are USians at heart too!  

And Canada - at least in some documents it is the Dominion of Canada.  Maybe we should start calling them Dominians?  

• Like 4

I think people generally prefer to be referred to the country they are from, I doubt Canadians want to be called Americans anymore than Argentinians want to be called Americans. I don't like how US-ians sounds. It sounds silly and legalistic.

Either way, I find all of the arguments over what people should be called to be a bit ridiculous. I still call myself "Indian" while others tell me I should call myself, "Native American," while even others tell me that is offensive and I should call myself "First Nations." Actually if they are going to be butts about it they can call me Lenape and mind their own business.

But you can call me Miss Jackson if you're nasty. (my last name is not Jackson)

• Like 17

And yet you have people living on the continent of Asia, who aren't automatically called Asians.  I'm thinking of all of those in the Middle East - part of Asia, large portions of the former Soviet Union - part of Asia.  Even the Egyptians, who do live on the continent of Africa, are not usually referred to as Africans but are generally identified as part of the Middle East - as far as culture and politics go, at any rate.  

Well, at least Qaddafi (whose name has an impressive 112 alternate spellings) thought Libyans were Africans! ;) And I've met Libyans who declare proudly that they are African. Unlike everyone else in North Africa.

It's just how they pronounce the letters.  U is pronounced Eew, (actually I guess it's more like the oo in food)

Oh, I understand that, I just don't like Eewessian, at ALL. 

Now all I can think about is all those dog owning Yoopers coming out in the Spring to clean up their yards with their pooper scoopers.    

• Like 4

And yet you have people living on the continent of Asia, who aren't automatically called Asians. I'm thinking of all of those in the Middle East - part of Asia, large portions of the former Soviet Union - part of Asia. Even the Egyptians, who do live on the continent of Africa, are not usually referred to as Africans but are generally identified as part of the Middle East - as far as culture and politics go, at any rate.

Some of this gets as ridiculous as calling Teresa Heinz Kerry an African American because she was born in Africa (Mozambique) and is a naturalized US citizen.

Some of this gets as ridiculous as calling Teresa Heinz Kerry an African American because she was born in Africa (Mozambique) and is a naturalized US citizen.

I've heard the same thing about white South Africans who immigrate to the US. People of (white) French ancestry who lived in Algeria/Morocco/Tunisia when they were a French colony or protectorate were/are called pied-noir. (Before that, the white people were the ones called Algerians, not the people who were actually from there.) There's a slang term for Algerian immigrants to France (or their kids, really), of beur, which is an inversion of the word for Arab. Is/was there a term for British people who'd been living in India? I forgot.

Yup.  We've worked with a church that is primarily African immigrants.  They do NOT identify themselves as African American.  They do identify as African immigrants or as Nigerian Americans (or whatever their home country was).  

And Stripe, Anglo-Indian is the word for British living in India, I believe.  

Did you know that Brazil used to be called the United States of Brazil?  They are USians at heart too!  

And Canada - at least in some documents it is the Dominion of Canada.  Maybe we should start calling them Dominians?  

True, but there's no continent called Brazil, so there would be no confusion over saying someone is Brazilian, as opposed to American.  Does that make sense?

On a bit of a tangent, why do countries change the name of other countries or cities to suit their own language?  Two that immediately come to mind are Munich and Cologne, which in German are Munchen and Koln.  Those aren't hard to pronounce?  Why do we call Germans, German?  Why don't we call them Deutsch?  And Germany Deutschland?  Why don't we call the French Francois?  Or Sweden Sverige?  That's weird to me.

• Like 2

True, but there's no continent called Brazil, so there would be no confusion over saying someone is Brazilian, as opposed to American.  Does that make sense?

On a bit of a tangent, why do countries change the name of other countries or cities to suit their own language?  Two that immediately come to mind are Munich and Cologne, which in German are Munchen and Koln.  Those aren't hard to pronounce?  Why do we call Germans, German?  Why don't we call them Deutsch?  And Germany Deutschland?  Why don't we call the French Francois?  Or Sweden Sverige?  That's weird to me.

It is weird to me, too. But, then would we write Greece using the Greek alphabet? And Russia using the Cyrillic alphabet? And we would all have to learn to make the characters for China and Japan and…  Not saying that we couldn't or shouldn't do that. 

As a Canadian, I always call folks from the U.S. American. I am NOT American. Their country is, after all, called United States of AMERICA, so it makes sense that they call themselves American. Everyone knows who you are talking about if you mention Americans. It's not confusing. USians just feels, looks, and sounds awkward.

My best friend grew up in Brazil. She says people from the U.S. are called Americans down there too.

• Like 3

I have never heard the term USian until this thread. I don't see a problem with being Americans, we are from the United States of America and also the North American continent. I am also a Midwesterner and have been an Illinoisan and a Missourian. I briefly lived in North Carolina and was a Charlottean. However I am not and have never been a Yankee. :) I can not get behind calling all Americans Yankees when the vast majority of the country does not identify with that term.

That is interesting.  I have lived and traveled abroad, and never had anyone have trouble with this.  I see us referred to in the foreign press as "Americans."  But I have never traveled to South America.  I wonder if this is something you run across there that the rest of the world really doesn't seem concerned with.  My Columbian friends definitely refer to the US as "America" and call us "Americans."  It never occurred to me that they might actually resent that or feel confused by it.  I think it's one of those things that is so commonly used that it's just convention that most people take for granted.  But maybe that's because I haven't asked enough "South" Americans. 

I live in Mexico. "American" and "North American" mean different things in different contexts depending on who is speaking to whom and whether they're speaking in English or Spanish.  But standard usage in the city we live in is that a US citizen would be called a Norteamericano, not Americano.  It took me some time to figure out which box to check on forms asking for nationality because Americano can be on there, but it doesn't refer to me (I haven't yet figured who exactly it refers to and if someone can enlighten me, I'd be delighted). Estadounidense might be used too, but it's not common in my brief experience here. Personally, I really like Estadounidense and maybe I'll start using it instead of USian since it means the same thing. 

In Kyrgyzstan people would usually refer to us as Americans or foreigners (one of my children's friends would stand outside our gate yelling "Foreigners!" till we responded). But I would say we were from Ð¡Ð¨Ð (ssha) instead of America because I felt it was more accurate.  It also helped that I didn't have to decline Ð¡Ð¨Ð, but I did have to change the endings for American in Russian, but we'll pretend that wasn't the real reason. 

America and American were the normal terms in Jerusalem when I was studying Arabic and that's what I used, but that was nearly 20 years ago and I didn't have the same opinions I do now. I am quite certain that people in most parts of the world would know that I meant a citizen of the US if I used the term American, but that doesn't mean that I choose to use that term if I can find something better.

• Like 2

I live in Mexico. "American" and "North American" mean different things in different contexts depending on who is speaking to whom and whether they're speaking in English or Spanish.  But standard usage in the city we live in is that a US citizen would be called a Norteamericano, not Americano.  It took me some time to figure out which box to check on forms asking for nationality because Americano can be on there, but it doesn't refer to me (I haven't yet figured who exactly it refers to and if someone can enlighten me, I'd be delighted). Estadounidense might be used too, but it's not common in my brief experience here. Personally, I really like Estadounidense and maybe I'll start using it instead of USian since it means the same thing.

Yes, the Mexicans call us 'norteamericanos'.  The irony here is that Mexico is also, technically, part of North America (as Central America is part of North America, not a continent unto itself), so that doesn't really help differentiate as much as it would seem to... :lol:  In some ways it's actually less specific, because then you're definitely referring to the continent, not an abbreviation of US of A - we're not not the United States of North America, after all.  And then what about the Canadians??

• Like 3

Yes, the Mexicans call us 'norteamericanos'.  The irony here is that Mexico is also, technically, part of North America (as Central America is part of North America, not a continent unto itself), so that doesn't really help differentiate as much as it would seem to... :lol:  In some ways it's actually less specific, because then you're definitely referring to the continent, not an abbreviation of US of A - we're not not the United States of North America, after all.  And then what about the Canadians??

But I bet Mexicans and Canadians have never referred to themselves as Yankees.  

As a Canadian, I always call folks from the U.S. American. I am NOT American. Their country is, after all, called United States of AMERICA, so it makes sense that they call themselves American. Everyone knows who you are talking about if you mention Americans. It's not confusing. USians just feels, looks, and sounds awkward.

My best friend grew up in Brazil. She says people from the U.S. are called Americans down there too.

:001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: