Menu

I really hate the term USians

Barb_

It may have been a civil war era term, but it is still much in use. It may have lost some of the negative tone, but a 'Yankee' is still very much a northerner. One can like a Yankee, marry a Yankee, work for a Yankee etc, but it doesn't mean everyone becomes a Yankee. I'm just telling you - It's not going to work to try to get southerners to call themselves "Yankees" rather than "Americans." Trust me. Not going to happen.

When I was growing up there was a fun rollicking song about "Freeze a Yankee" in Texas. and they were NOT referring to Freezing Texans :)

I'm kinda floored that there might be people who want to identify by the continent that they live on and not by the country they live in. Americans are identifying by their country name, not by the continent. I'm just waiting for someone to tell me that they are Eurasian next instead of German.

Well first people have to agree on how many continents there are and what to call them.

• Like 4

I've encountered several while traveling. I heard one young Canadian backpacker on a train in Australia who was especially hostile about Americans. She ranted and raved about the US in general and advised her fellow travelers to steer clear of that godforsaken country, though she had never been there herself (as if!). She didn't know an American was sitting nearby, and I didn't ever enlighten her or correct the misinformation she was spewing. I found the whole episode bizarre. 

Sounds like she was a real charmer.  ;)

So, did you two exchange numbers and arrange for her to visit you the next time she was in the US?  :D

• Like 1

Unfortunately we do have a few of those nasty, rude, immature people running around the globe acting as representatives of our country. It's shameful. The majority of us do not seem to be so lacking in manners.

I'm pretty sure every country does!   I've certainly encountered rude foreign tourists here in the States and rude people from other countries on my rare travels overseas.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

What is your reason for repeatedly reviving old threads?

​

​I'm not the grave-digger, but I would argue that reviving old threads shouldn't be considered universally bad. The Great Books curriculum is basically one giant zombie thread, after all. ;)

​

​For context, this particular piece of netiquette is related to technical issues in old message board systems. Reviving old threads placed a greater burden on the back-end database. At the time, many of the questions people asked were technical ones, like "How do I get X version of Y software to run on Z machine?" People would answer that specific question definitively, and then people would resurrect the thread with a related question, like getting a new version of the same software to run on a different machine, jumbling together the questions and answers to distinctly different but related topics.

​

​With more conversational topics of long-term concern, however, I don't think there's any problem with resurrection -- the topic remains unanswered definitively, and the question has not changed fundamentally. By being able to continue the conversation rather than start over again and again, it's possible to see the development of thought over the years. (Not sure if resurrecting old threads causes database complications anymore.)

• Like 1

​

​I'm not the grave-digger, but I would argue that reviving old threads shouldn't be considered universally bad. The Great Books curriculum is basically one giant zombie thread, after all. ;)

​

​For context, this particular piece of netiquette is related to technical issues in old message board systems. Reviving old threads placed a greater burden on the back-end database. At the time, many of the questions people asked were technical ones, like "How do I get X version of Y software to run on Z machine?" People would answer that specific question definitively, and then people would resurrect the thread with a related question, like getting a new version of the same software to run on a different machine, jumbling together the questions and answers to distinctly different but related topics.

​

​With more conversational topics of long-term concern, however, I don't think there's any problem with resurrection -- the topic remains unanswered definitively, and the question has not changed fundamentally. By being able to continue the conversation rather than start over again and again, it's possible to see the development of thought over the years. (Not sure if resurrecting old threads causes database complications anymore.)

While I agree that reviving old threads isn't universally bad, I believe there should be some board etiquette around it.  I can't speak to the database related issues, but I find it rude to reply to someone who hasn't logged in in ages, or to subtly encourage others to do so, for they have no opportunity to reply back.

And to only reply to old threads, never adding to current threads is borderline trollish.  Given that I frequently can't find day-old threads that I'm interested in, I'm confounded as to how this poster is finding these random threads.

• Like 3

American references people who are from the United States of America. Just in the same way a Russian would be someone from the USSR. A British person would be from Great Britain. Should we call those who are from the United Mexican States (the actual title of Mexico) an Umian?

I have never heard the term Usian but it sounds like the stupidest thing ever.

Sorry I just found a topic that was interesting and responded.  Won't respond anymore

I've just noticed that you revive a lot of old threads. While it is certainly interesting to go back and read old threads--I did a lot of that when I first found these forums--general etiquette around here is to mostly stick with current topics of discussion. If you want to bring up an old thread maybe do what someone suggested recently in the thread about zombie threads--start a new thread with a link to the old thread.

• Like 6

**haven't read whole thread**  

When I studied in the Dominican Republic I was told that folks there found us calling ourselves "American" offensive.  So, when people asked where I was from, I would say "Soy de los Estados Unidos."  Every time. Even though that's a lot harder to say than "Americana." And everyone would respond with "Ah, Americana?"

One day I was very frazzled because of some loose dogs and a guy asked me where I was from and the ONE TIME "Soy Americana" the guy launched into a verbal harangue about how he was an American too and how the U.S. thought it was the only country on the continent and on and on.  Ugh.

ETA: Well great, just saw this was a zombie thread.  Moving on.

Edited by lauraw4321
  • Like 1

American references people who are from the United States of America. Just in the same way a Russian would be someone from the USSR. A British person would be from Great Britain. Should we call those who are from the United Mexican States (the actual title of Mexico) an Umian?

But a British person is actually from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  Good luck making a 'correct' designation out of that.

Oh my to the bold.  My Ukrainian friends would be out for blood upon seeing that.  :P

• Like 4

Oh my to the bold. My Ukrainian friends would be out for blood upon seeing that. :P

Yeah, I thought that about the Kyrgyz, Uzbeks, Chechens, Uyghurs, Germans, Tajiks, Latvians, Estonians, Kazakhs, Dungans, Koreans, and Meskhetian Turks I've known who were citizens of the USSR but never Russian.

• Like 5

Yeah, I thought that about the Kyrgyz, Uzbeks, Chechens, Uyghurs, Germans, Tajiks, Latvians, Estonians, Kazakhs, Dungans, Koreans, and Meskhetian Turks I've known who were citizens of the USSR but never Russian.

Presumably PP thought the R in USSR stood for Russia :)

• Like 2

Presumably PP thought the R in USSR stood for Russia :)

If we were going to call everyone in the erstwhile USSR after the R in the abbreviation, we'd have to call them "Republicans"   ;)  ;)  ;)

ETA: Just in case anyone doesn't get it, 'cause USSR was the Union of Soviet Socialst Republics

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 5

​

​

​

Yeah, I don't find it universally bad. When I first began posting at WTM, I would ocassionally search for topics that had already been covered, because I didn't want to be that annoying Newbie who says, "Hey, y'all. How do you feel about mandatory cupcakes for school parties," and the Veterans all groan, "Oh, for Pete's sake! Don't you know about The Great Cupcake Debate of 2010?" So, after reviving a couple zombie threads, thinking I was adding to a previous conversation, I learned that this is one of those things generally not done here. But I never had trollish intentions; I thought I was doing to right thing by not continually posting stuff that had already been discussed.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't find it universally bad. When I first began posting at WTM, I would ocassionally search for topics that had already been covered, because I didn't want to be that annoying Newbie who says, "Hey, y'all. How do you feel about mandatory cupcakes for school parties," and the Veterans all groan, "Oh, for Pete's sake! Don't you know about The Great Cupcake Debate of 2010?" So, after reviving a couple zombie threads, thinking I was adding to a previous conversation, I learned that this is one of those things generally not done here. But I never had trollish intentions; I thought I was doing to right thing by not continually posting stuff that had already been discussed.

It's not a bad thing in general though the other newbies can benefit from a new thread. However, this particular poster seems to only respond to zombie threads.

There can however, never be another Great Cupcake Debate that could possibly top the original. Only those of us who were there will ever understand that.  :lol:

• Like 2

Since this zombie thread won't seem to die, I have a pronounciation question.

For the minority that use this term, how do you pronounce it?

Uhs-ee-ans

You-ess-ee-ans

Use-ee-ans

Inquiring minds and all that.

And yes, two years later I still think this fairly absurd.

Though I did eat pie for breakfast yesterday. Yankee I may be.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 3

Since this zombie thread won't seem to die, I have a pronounciation question.

For the minority that use this term, how do you pronounce it?

Uhs-ee-ans

You-ess-ee-ans

Use-ee-ans

Inquiring minds and all that.

And yes, two years later I still think this fairly absurd.

Though I did eat pie for breakfast yesterday. Yankee I may be.

The bolded.

I say you-ess-ee-ans. I have no idea if anyone else does though, since I don't think I've ever heard anyone use this in actual conversations.

I'm not in Mexico anymore so all people from the US are called Americans where I am now. Since there is so much opposition to the term USian (which I still like), I usually rephrase whatever I'm saying so I don't have to use American or USian and can instead say something like people from the US. Clunky, but it doesn't stick out so much.

I need to make a US-style (see what I did there?) pie. I've just been eating Middle Eastern ones recently. It's still too hot to think about pumpkin pie though.

I suppose it should be U.S.ians?

Or perhaps U.Sians to avoid offending everyone not called Ian? :p

Well, you know those Ians can be so sensitive!

I don't find Usians to be offensive so much as contrived. I'm all for new words that develop just not really sure this is one enough people are using to make it a word I'd add to my own usage. Most people I know would merely be confused to hear USians used as demonym for people in the United States. Clarity is essential for effective communication.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The United States of America isn't the only country with "United States" in their name so how would it be any less arrogant?

USian is dumb.

actually, it is.

United Kingdom and

United Arab Emirates

do NOT have "states" in their names.

eta:  just for clarity:  the names of all 257 countries.

Edited by gardenmom5

I wouldn't choose it the word Yankee as an alternative to American or USian.

In Chile (and perhaps in other Latin American countries?), "Yanqui" means an aggressive, imperialistic American. It's an insulting way to address or describe us.

I wouldn't go anywhere in the southern US and tout being a yankee . . . .

actually, it is.

United Kingdom and

United Arab Emirates

do NOT have "states" in their names.

eta:  just for clarity:  the names of all 257 countries.

Uh, just to be accurate - those are not the official names of all 257 countries, just their common names.  The official name of Mexico, for example, is Estados Unidos Mexicanos. Which can be translated as the United States of Mexico. Ironically.  

• Like 1

I think we are the only country that uses "American" though. Perhaps there are some who interpret that word as arrogant because it is all encompassing.

I'd consider that an added 'feature' of the word. :leaving:

ETA: just noticed it's a zombie thread.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1