Menu

I really hate the term USians

Barb_

Although the official name is the United States of Mexico, there is no larger area called "Mexico" that is not part of the country itself. However, the United States of America is a part of a much larger geographical area known as America, whose inhabitants can rightfully call themselves Americans, although they do not live in the US. The offense occurs when US citizens claim exclusive rights to the name.

I can honestly tell you that I have lived here all my life and I have never once heard "US citizens claim exclusive rights to the name." Never. And I have never met a single person in my travels all over the world who has expressed any sense of "offense" about it, either.

I think you're just a pot-stirrer in this discussion. I think you are trying to create dissension and offense where none exists.

If people from South American countries want to refer to themselves as Americans, I can't imagine that anyone here would care, and if after more than 200 years of hearing US citizens refer to themselves as Americans, anyone still has the energy to get offended about it, I would respectfully suggest that perhaps they should find something more productive to do with their time.

I mean, seriously, does anyone really believe that we are going to stop calling ourselves Americans?

• Like 8

Of course there are also folks who use "American" to mean "US-born citizen fluent only in American English."  Hence the complaint when a NY-born guy with Puerto Rican parents sang the national anthem, i.e., "why couldn't they pick an American?"

Of course some of my Indian friends used to call me (and other Americans) "foreigner" when they had recently come to the US to study.  :P

• Like 1

Current culture.

It's like calling a English person a European..... technically true, but not commonly done. And I would think, not polite.

How could it not be polite to call an English person European?  It says it right on the front of our passports:

European Union

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

L

• Like 7

How could it not be polite to call an English person European? It says it right on the front of our passports:

European Union

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

L

Well, it certainly does.

But if somewhere in the world, five or six very vocal (and incredibly nitpicky) people decide to take offense at it, all of those passports are going to have to be changed. Immediately.

After all, we wouldn't want anyone to be offended, would we? You know, even if it does seem like complete and total idiocy to everyone but that handful of people who have nothing better to do than find things to be offended about... :D

• Like 2

I promise you that I am not trying to stir up trouble. I am trying to help people see the issue from a different side. If you read my posts, you will see that I have said that there is no problem to referring to yourselves as Americans within the US. However, as I've tried to explain, people in other parts of the American continents are also "Americans". As another poster said, the problem is when people visit and say things like, "Back home in America, we do things different" or "Do any Americans live around here?". This makes it sound like the term "American" exclusively means US citizen.

As I explained earlier, I have lived 26 years in 3 different countries in Central and South America. We currently live in a small fishing village on the coast of Ecuador. The closest North American to us is 1 1/2 hours away. I know the culture and am not inventing things to "stir up trouble". I just would like to show that that the name "American" doesn't always mean what you think it does.

I can honestly tell you that I have lived here all my life and I have never once heard "US citizens claim exclusive rights to the name." Never. And I have never met a single person in my travels all over the world who has expressed any sense of "offense" about it, either.

I think you're just a pot-stirrer in this discussion. I think you are trying to create dissension and offense where none exists.

If people from South American countries want to refer to themselves as Americans, I can't imagine that anyone here would care, and if after more than 200 years of hearing US citizens refer to themselves as Americans, anyone still has the energy to get offended about it, I would respectfully suggest that perhaps they should find something more productive to do with their time.

I mean, seriously, does anyone really believe that we are going to stop calling ourselves Americans?

• Like 4

The problem would be if a citizen of Great Britain went to Italy and asked, "Do any Europeans live near here?"

Well, it certainly does.

But if somewhere in the world, five or six very vocal (and incredibly nitpicky) people decide to take offense at it, all of those passports are going to have to be changed. Immediately.

After all, we wouldn't want anyone to be offended, would we? You know, even if it does seem like complete and total idiocy to everyone but that handful of people who have nothing better to do than find things to be offended about... :D

I promise you that I am not trying to stir up trouble. I am trying to help people see the issue from a different side. If you read my posts, you will see that I have said that there is no problem to referring to yourselves as Americans within the US. However, as I've tried to explain, people in other parts of the American continents are also "Americans". As another poster said, the problem is when people visit and say things like, "Back home in America, we do things different" or "Do any Americans live around here?". This makes it sound like the term "American" exclusively means US citizen.

As I explained earlier, I have lived 26 years in 3 different countries in Central and South America. We currently live in a small fishing village on the coast of Ecuador. The closest North American to us is 1 1/2 hours away. I know the culture and am not inventing things to "stir up trouble". I just would like to show that that the name "American" doesn't always mean what you think it does.

The nearest North American is 90 minutes away and this is still a common problem where you are? Really? Does nobody understand that we've shortened USA and not NA? What is the response when you explain it that way?

I think it's overreaching to attempt to micromanage how other people self-identify. If the label you give someone offends them, then yes, strive to change it. However, taking issue with how a group of people identifies themselves seems rather futile.

I get how living in another culture for a long time gives you a unique perspective, but there's something rather chaffing about how readily Americans throw their compatriots under the bus. I can't think of another nationality so eager to do so.

• Like 7

As I've said repeatedly, it is perfectly acceptable to call ourselves Americans while in the US. And, here in Ecuador, the common answer to the question, "Are there any Americans that live in the area?" is "Yes, we are all Americans. We live in America." It is part of their identity. They are not being arrogant, just stating a geographical fact.

My purpose on trying to explain is to help people who live in the US to understand that the name American does not always accurately communicate what you think it does. Other people have the right to use it.

From your response, I feel that I may have offended you, although I never said you could not call yourself an American.

The nearest North American is 90 minutes away and this is still a common problem where you are? Really? Does nobody understand that we've shortened USA and not NA? What is the response when you explain it that way?

I think it's overreaching to attempt to micromanage how other people self-identify. If the label you give someone offends them, then yes, strive to change it. However, taking issue with how a group of people identifies themselves seems rather futile.

I get how living in another culture for a long time gives you a unique perspective, but there's something rather chaffing about how readily Americans throw their compatriots under the bus. I can't think of another nationality so eager to do so.

• Like 4

I promise you that I am not trying to stir up trouble. I am trying to help people see the issue from a different side. If you read my posts, you will see that I have said that there is no problem to referring to yourselves as Americans within the US. However, as I've tried to explain, people in other parts of the American continents are also "Americans". As another poster said, the problem is when people visit and say things like, "Back home in America, we do things different" or "Do any Americans live around here?". This makes it sound like the term "American" exclusively means US citizen.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, because as far as I'm concerned, Americans can refer to ourselves as American whenever and wherever we please, and the vast majority of people will not only know exactly what we mean, but will also have absolutely no "problem" with it. And if they do have a problem with it, it is exactly that -- their problem -- because I really think you are trying to manufacture an issue that is virtually non-existent in reality.

Furthermore, if people are somehow offended and outraged that US citizens have the nerve to call themselves American, I would suggest that their negative feelings toward our country and our people most likely go far deeper than the use of the term "American," because your argument simply makes no sense otherwise. There's nothing to be offended about.

• Like 5

Futile perhaps, but not uncommon when another group's self-identification impinges on our own self identification.

Are Messianic Jews Jewish? Are Mormons Christians? Is gay marriage marriage?

Words and definitions become significant when meanings attributed by one group conflict with those of another. If a person in Peru thinks of himself as American in the sense that a person from Belgium thinks of himself as European, a person from the United States using "American" to distinguish himself from the Peruvians may appear as unreasonable as a person from Italy using the term "European" to distinguish himself from the Belgian.

Yes, we have good historical claim to the usage, but the other side has a valid point of view as well. Within the USA, and in any country where "American" or a close cognate is the accepted term for US citizens, that usage is absolutely correct, but there are places where the usage is not accepted. When in Rome...

• Like 7

I don't see how communicating that unique perspective is throwing anyone under a bus.

• Like 5

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, because as far as I'm concerned, Americans can refer to ourselves as American whenever and wherever we please, and the vast majority of people will not only know exactly what we mean, but will also have absolutely no "problem" with it. And if they do have a problem with it, it is exactly that -- their problem -- because I really think you are trying to manufacture an issue that is virtually non-existent in reality.

Furthermore, if people are somehow offended and outraged that US citizens have the nerve to call themselves American, I would suggest that their negative feelings toward our country and our people most likely go far deeper than the use of the term "American," because your argument simply makes no sense otherwise. There's nothing to be offended about.

No, she's not.

Central and South Americans really do remark on people from the United States calling themselves Americans as a way of distinguishing themselves from our fellow residents of North and South America.

I haven't personally encountered people who are "offended and outraged." The attitude I've usually seen is amusement or exasperation at our country's arrogance and self-centeredness.

• Like 8

FWIW, I agree that the term USian is awkward and I would not use it. In situations where American is not the accepted standard I would typically use whatever the locals use (norteamericano etc.) otherwise I would fall back on something like "people from the United States" --unwieldy maybe, but accurate and not ugly.

The issue may be different if we're talking to folks inside vs. outside the Western hemisphere (though Canadians have explained that they don't consider themselves "Americans," this could be because of their different history with Britain).

Nobody is saying it is wrong to consider ourselves Americans.  But it's wrong for US folks to consider ourselves the only Americans.  I can see how folks from Latin America would view this as ignorant and potentially offensive, especially if they see a general pattern of US folks acting superior or more important.

The name "America" comes from the name of a European explorer of South America, who never actually set foot in the USA.  Just because we and our closest European relatives think of the USA when they hear "America" does not give us exclusive rights to the name.

Also, when it matters for official purposes, like in immigration, "I'm from America" doesn't help at all.  People should get used to the idea that "American" is an imprecise term and sometimes not appropriate for the circumstances.

• Like 5

Well this is all very interesting to me. Here in Malaysia the locals refer to anyone non-Asian as a "westerner".

How's that for non-specific and lumping everyone together? :) It never occurred to me to be offended. Perhaps I need to get thinner skin?

Although if they are speaking specifically of people from the U.S. they call them Americans. When they refer to people from Mexico or Canada or Brazil, etc., they say Mexican or Canadian or Brazilian, etc. So it's not just people from the U.S. who refer to people from the U.S. as "American".

The people I have met from North, Central and South America (other than the U.S.) have always referred to themselves by their nationality/ethnicity (Colombian, Chilean, Venezuelan, etc.). They have all been quite proud of that. I have never heard any of them refer to themselves as American. I'm sure there are a few but I don't think it's quite so widespread as some posters are making it out to be.

• Like 5

No, she's not.

Central and South Americans really do remark on people from the United States calling themselves Americans as a way of distinguishing themselves from our fellow residents of North and South America.

I haven't personally encountered people who are "offended and outraged." The attitude I've usually seen is amusement or exasperation at our country's arrogance and self-centeredness.

But that pretty much proves my point about the attitude having less to do with us using the term "American" than with the overall perception of Americans as arrogant and self-centered.

The main reason I view this as a non-issue is because I'm guessing that this is mostly an "occasional offhand comment" type of thing that a tiny minority is trying to blow out of proportion, rather than some sort of organized international outrage over US citizens calling themselves Americans, so the idea that we should stop calling ourselves "Americans" and start referring to ourselves as "Usians" is absolutely ludicrous to me.

• Like 1

... the idea that we should stop calling ourselves "Americans" and start referring to ourselves as "Usians" is absolutely ludicrous to me.

I think most of us agree with this.

I think some folks are just making the additional point that in certain discussions, where distinctions of nationality are relevant, it would be helpful to be more precise.

• Like 1

I guess I'm not an arrogant American.  'Cause it's perfectly fine with me if some people from South and Central American countries (or anywhere else in the world) want to refer to themselves as Americans.  It's their business and certainly not mine.  Nor would I ever assume they're arrogant for doing so.

I haven't gone back and re-read every post, so I could be wrong. But I don't think any U.S. citizen who has posted on this thread has claimed that we have exclusive rights to the word "American." :)

• Like 5

The issue may be different if we're talking to folks inside vs. outside the Western hemisphere (though Canadians have explained that they don't consider themselves "Americans," this could be because of their different history with Britain).

Nobody is saying it is wrong to consider ourselves Americans.  But it's wrong for US folks to consider ourselves the only Americans.  I can see how folks from Latin America would view this as ignorant and potentially offensive, especially if they see a general pattern of US folks acting superior or more important.

The name "America" comes from the name of a European explorer of South America, who never actually set foot in the USA.  Just because we and our closest European relatives think of the USA when they hear "America" does not give us exclusive rights to the name.

Also, when it matters for official purposes, like in immigration, "I'm from America" doesn't help at all.  People should get used to the idea that "American" is an imprecise term and sometimes not appropriate for the circumstances.

Which of us Americans are considering ourselves the only "Americans"?

And of course we say we're "from America." Which immigration official would be totally clueless as to which country we're referring to? Which other country on the North or South American continent has the word "America" in its official name?

• Like 2

No, she's not.

Then you need to explain to them that we are using the term as a shorthand for United States of American, not someone who comes from North or South America.  I do think that any visitors to an area should try to meet the culture.  So in Spanish, I would use the established word that they use for someone from my country.  But if I am speaking in American English - my language - I would expect the hearer to meet my culture and accept the established word that we use for someone from my country.  That isn't arrogance or ignorance - it is basic communication in another language.  

If someone said to me in English, "We are all Americans", I would laugh and say, "Of course, we are, if we are talking about the continents.  But in American English, the word is used to specifically describe someone coming from the United States of America.  What word would you like me to use in Spanish?"  

• Like 5

As I've said repeatedly, it is perfectly acceptable to call ourselves Americans while in the US. And, here in Ecuador, the common answer to the question, "Are there any Americans that live in the area?" is "Yes, we are all Americans. We live in America." It is part of their identity. They are not being arrogant, just stating a geographical fact.

My purpose on trying to explain is to help people who live in the US to understand that the name American does not always accurately communicate what you think it does. Other people have the right to use it.

From your response, I feel that I may have offended you, although I never said you could not call yourself an American.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to call ourselves American anywhere. If a situation should ever arise where further clarification is needed, then you get more specific. This seems much more practical to me than suggesting an entire nation change what they call themselves. I'd argue that it does communicate what we think it does 99% of the time. Also, nobody here has claimed that the other inhabitants of N. and S. America have no right to use the word.

I imagine if you have the above conversation in Ecuador, you follow up by clarifying that you are looking for U.S. citizens. However, using an identifier other than American will only set you up for confusion in most of the world.

• Like 1

I don't see how communicating that unique perspective is throwing anyone under a bus.

It was the general flavor of "Oh those arrogant Americans are claiming two continents. How very entitled." It just seems that people of other nationalities are less eager to publicly decry the shortcomings of their countrymen over trivial offenses.

I've never heard the term USians used.  Thank goodness.

We're the only country that has the word "America" in it's official name.  Thus I personally don't see any problem at all in referring to ourselves (or being referred to by others) as Americans.

This.  For awhile I fell into the group that wondered why we (in the USA) alone call ourselves Americans, because I happen to have in-laws from both Canada and Central America.  But of course -- we are the only ones with "America" actually in its name.  Makes perfect sense to me.  I have never heard of USians and I don't think it will stick anyway.

However, using an identifier other than American will only set you up for confusion in most of the world.

I don't agree with this.  I have never had any problem with referring to myself as "from USA" or "from the US" depending on which country I was in.  Just like most Americans would not be confused with hearing "from UK" instead of "British" or whatever.

• Like 3

I know I can call myself an American here in Mexico and that no one will correct me or appear to be angry with me.  But I will sound clueless and I'd rather not.  I make plenty of mistakes as it is.

When I try to use accurate terms, it's not just about avoiding giving offense.  It's also to show that I care about the way others feel.  That's why I never call the US "America" and why I steer clear of the word "American" in many settings.  

And it's also really interesting, as nmoira said above. I think the words people use to refer to themselves and others is endlessly fascinating.

I would also try to use whichever term is commonly used in other countries if I were in another country. That only makes sense.

But I absolutely have no qualms about saying that I am an American, because I am, or referring to my country as "America," because it is. If people in other countries have negative feelings of some kind about "American" versus...whatever...well, that's their problem. The name of my country is the United States of America. I can say "U.S." or I can say "America." Both are true.

• Like 2

I would also try to use whichever term is commonly used in other countries if I were in another country. That only makes sense.

But I absolutely have no qualms about saying that I am an American, because I am, or referring to my country as "America," because it is. If people in other countries have negative feelings of some kind about "American" versus...whatever...well, that's their problem. The name of my country is the United States of America. I can say "U.S." or I can say "America." Both are true.

And it's fine with me that you use America and American.  I don't think anyone should have to do things the way I do.  I'm just trying to explain a little about why I do things the way I do.  It's already been established in this thread and others that I'm not a very good American.  I'm quite sure that my opinion about this doesn't really matter, but the discussion has been very interesting to me.

USian is just awkward and silly sounding. It won't catch on. Neither will Yankee. American is just a shortened version of United States of America. It doesn't mean we think no one else from North or South America can use the word to identify himself. Why would I mind? Why is this even an issue?

• Like 3

I'm wondering where everyone is finding all of these people who are confused by the term 'American.' I've never in my life met ANYONE who is confused by this. Everyone I've met who wants to argue about it isn't remotely confused and seems to be lobbying on behalf of some confused imaginary friend.

I don't think it's confusion so much as dislike for perceived U.S. cultural imperialism. At least that's the impression I've gotten from the users I've seen who prefer the term.

• Like 2

And it's fine with me that you use America and American. I don't think anyone should have to do things the way I do. I'm just trying to explain a little about why I do things the way I do. It's already been established in this thread and others that I'm not a very good American. I'm quite sure that my opinion about this doesn't really matter, but the discussion has been very interesting to me.

Well, maybe you could be a good Yankee :), pie for breakfast after all.
  • Like 2

I think she means Southern culture.  In the Civil War, the North was the Yankees.  Even with all the time passed, and migration back and forth, I'd say a vast majority of southerners would not just find it not apropos, but offensive to be called a Yankee.  That's why Audrey said "them's fightin' words" (but it sounds like she's gotten over this since she's now a resident of north of Yankee-land :lol: )

I know it originated during the Rev. war, but it's the Civil War that made it an offensive term south of the Mason-Dixon line. The Brits calling the US troops Yanks during WWII didn't change that, even if it was later.

Yes, that's what I was trying to express.  When I lived in the South, that would have been very offensive.  From the outside looking back in, though, I'm not sure quite why it did produce such a knee-jerk reaction in me because my family wasn't Confederate connected in any way.  Nonetheless, it was something learned living in the culture. 

I did get over it, though.  It didn't take long.  You just have to give the person the benefit of the doubt.  It's not like they spat and snarled and called me Yankee.  Intention really does make all the difference. :)

Of course there are also folks who use "American" to mean "US-born citizen fluent only in American English."  Hence the complaint when a NY-born guy with Puerto Rican parents sang the national anthem, i.e., "why couldn't they pick an American?"

But those folks are idiots. We shouldn't make allowances for people who are just plain ignorant. 

• Like 3

How about AmerUSicans?

:lol:

Again, there's the spelling thing. ;)

And at first glance, it looks vaguely like we're all musicians or something. :D

But I'm liking the made-up suggestions here much better than that stupid "Usians" thing. At least these have a fun factor. :)

• Like 2

Think of how all the names and titles of TV shows, movies, books, and songs would change if we only used USian. USian Bandstand. USian Pickers. USian Idol. USian Graffiti. Lyrics like bye bye, Miss USian pie. It could create a lot of new jobs if all that stuff had to be edited.

• Like 7

I don't think I've ever encountered such a creature.  That would be very un-Canadian.

My thoughts exactly! :) (That's what I meant when I said "very aggressive Canadians, but, thinking more about that, that was sort of stupid. "

• Like 1

I'm kinda floored that there might be people who want to identify by the continent that they live on and not by the country they live in. Americans are identifying by their country name, not by the continent. I'm just waiting for someone to tell me that they are Eurasian next instead of German.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly! :) (That's what I meant when I said "very aggressive Canadians, but, thinking more about that, that was sort of stupid. "

I've encountered several while traveling. I heard one young Canadian backpacker on a train in Australia who was especially hostile about Americans. She ranted and raved about the US in general and advised her fellow travelers to steer clear of that godforsaken country, though she had never been there herself (as if!). She didn't know an American was sitting nearby, and I didn't ever enlighten her or correct the misinformation she was spewing. I found the whole episode bizarre. 

I've encountered several while traveling. I heard one young Canadian backpacker on a train in Australia who was especially hostile about Americans. She ranted and raved about the US in general and advised her fellow travelers to steer clear of that godforsaken country, though she had never been there herself (as if!). She didn't know an American was sitting nearby, and I didn't ever enlighten her or correct the misinformation she was spewing. I found the whole episode bizarre. 

Unfortunately we do have a few of those nasty, rude, immature people running around the globe acting as representatives of our country. It's shameful. The majority of us do not seem to be so lacking in manners.

• Like 2