Menu

I really hate the term USians

Barb_

But they could.  How about that WWII song about the Yanks coming?  That is not just Northerners.  During WWII we were all Yanks.  We could be again :patriot:

LOL... wasn't that a British song, though?

I don't think after the Civil War the South would ever get behind being called Yankees, sorry... (someone from the South can correct me if I'm wrong, here... :) )

• Like 4

On a bit of a tangent, why do countries change the name of other countries or cities to suit their own language?  Two that immediately come to mind are Munich and Cologne, which in German are Munchen and Koln.  Those aren't hard to pronounce?  Why do we call Germans, German?  Why don't we call them Deutsch?  And Germany Deutschland?  Why don't we call the French Francois?  Or Sweden Sverige?  That's weird to me.

It's a bit weird, but I guess people can do what they like in their own languages and dialects. I do, anyway!

This is the second time I have read a thread about this here on WTM. Honestly, I've never ever heard this come up outside of maybe sarcastic pedantic 5th graders! And now WTM. How fitting?!

:iagree: It sounds like a manufactured outrage to me. Kind of like the non-existent War on Christmas.

• Like 10

Before I clicked on this I assume USians was some new way of talking about Asian Americans.  Which was really dumb. But the real meaning is pretty ridiculous too.... solving something that is not a problem.

• Like 2

I would never, ever refer to myself as a Yankee.  They live in the northeastern US and I'm a western US gal.  I have no negative opinions of Yankees or the term itself (except that it sounds dorky), but it doesn't describe me (even though I'm a dork).

I know when I visit dh family in Australia. Everyone says we are Americans.  The only times it is weird is if they say I'm from America.  To me I AM American, but I'm FROM the United States.   The other time is when they say I'm a Yank.  Y'all, I'm a Southerner, I am not Yankee.  That is never going to work for me. Ever.  I know they don't know that, so I let it slide, but it irks me inside. :)   We have some friends there and the husband is British and people call him Pom..like all the time.  I just could not find it in me to call him that.  I talk to him by his real name. LOL

• Like 1

True, but there's no continent called Brazil, so there would be no confusion over saying someone is Brazilian, as opposed to American.  Does that make sense?

On a bit of a tangent, why do countries change the name of other countries or cities to suit their own language?  Two that immediately come to mind are Munich and Cologne, which in German are Munchen and Koln.  Those aren't hard to pronounce?  Why do we call Germans, German?  Why don't we call them Deutsch?  And Germany Deutschland?  Why don't we call the French Francois?  Or Sweden Sverige?  That's weird to me.

I'm wondering where everyone is finding all of these people who are confused by the term 'American.' I've never in my life met ANYONE who is confused by this. Everyone I've met who wants to argue about it isn't remotely confused and seems to be lobbying on behalf of some confused imaginary friend.

I also think learning the proper pronunciation for every country/people in their language is much more cumbersome than learning the most common pattern/pronunciation in your own language. I CAN say Masr/Masriin all day long, but if I'm speaking to a fellow American it's more effective to use Egypt/Egyptian. You can attempt native pronunciation when learning geography, but I'm not sure there's a real point to it past personal linguistic dabbling.

• Like 7

I've had stones thrown at me while people yelled "Go home, Yankee."  For some reason I didn't stop and try to explain that I'm not from the northeastern part of the United States. . . .   (Not often but enough to have profound memories of it.)   People who don't like Americans are going to feel that way no matter what you call yourself.  People who stop to really find out who you are as a person and not be prejudiced against you because of your country of origin will be that way no matter what you call yourself - esp. if you are kind and thoughtful and try to get along with people of all nationalities.  

• Like 7

I don't think after the Civil War the South would ever get behind being called Yankees, sorry... (someone from the South can correct me if I'm wrong, here... :) )

I admit that is a barrier but I think with a little Yankee ingenuity it could be overcome.  After all, we are talking about the term "Yankee", not "damnyankee", two different things

I would never, ever refer to myself as a Yankee.  They live in the northeastern US and I'm a western US gal.  I have no negative opinions of Yankees or the term itself (except that it sounds dorky), but it doesn't describe me (even though I'm a dork).

Yankee was originally a derogatory term used by the British during the revolutionary war for all the patriots (or rebels, depending on your pov lol).  I am not from the Northeast and I am claiming Yankee.  It is so not dorky.  And I like dorky.  

Just for information: 'Yankee' is used as shorthand for 'American' in Britain and some Commonwealth countries, just as many Americans say 'England' when they mean the UK or Great Britain.  I try not to get too aerated about the latter - it's just a common American usage.

Canadians call those from the States Yankees, as well.  The first time someone said that to me, it got my hackles up because I come from the Southern US and that would be one of those "fighting words." LOL!

But, you have to consider the intent, and certainly there's no ill intent from a Canadian saying Yank or Yankee, just like there's no ill intent to call the 48 contiguous states "south of the border."  To us, they are just that.  No ill will meant.

The term USian?  I don't know.  It seems clunky to me, but not offensive.  I am ambivalent on it, I suppose.

And don't Amish people call the non-Amish "the English"? ;)

I always thought the people who say USians are some sort of very aggressive Canadians, but, thinking more about that, that was sort of stupid.

Eew, ess, ians? Eew.

I don't think I've ever encountered such a creature.  That would be very un-Canadian.

• Like 12

Canadians call those from the States Yankees, as well. The first time someone said that to me, it got my hackles up because I come from the Southern US and that would be one of those "fighting words." LOL!

But, you have to consider the intent, and certainly there's no ill intent from a Canadians saying Yank or Yankee,

I sure there is no ill will. Of course not. But I still would resist being called a Yank or Yankee. It is culturally ... offensive? Maybe that is too strong a word. But we will never be able to use that as a substitute for 'American' because half if the US would eat nails before associating themselves with being Yankees. Never going to happen. I can't stop Canadian from saying that, but I can't imagine identifying myself as a Yankee when asked my nationality.

• Like 3

I sure there is no ill will. Of course not. But I still would resist being called a Yank or Yankee. It is culturally ... offensive? Maybe that is too strong a word. But we will never be able to use that as a substitute for 'American' because half if the US would eat nails before associating themselves with being Yankees. Never going to happen. I can't stop Canadian from saying that, but I can't imagine identifying myself as a Yankee when asked my nationality.

I do now.  I don't mind it anymore at all.  Technically, I'm not an American or Yank anymore because I renounced my citizenship there years ago, but I am from there. 

It really is all in the intent, AFAIC.  But of course YMMV.

What is the culture of which you speak?  Yankee is a revolutionary war term.  It predates the civil war.  It was used during WWII, in a positive way.  

• Like 1

I listen to Spanish-language radio, and there is a Mexican soccer team called América. It confused me at first -- they were talking about "América this, América that" -- until I realized it was the name of a soccer team! Usually on the radio they refer to the U.S. as Los Estados Unidos, but the people living in the U.S. as americanos or norteamericanos or gringos :) . The politically correct team estadounidenses I've never actually heard, although it's fun to say. Plus, as a PP pointed out, Mexico is technically (for now) the United States of Mexico or the United Mexican States ...

What is the culture of which you speak? Yankee is a revolutionary war term. It predates the civil war. It was used during WWII, in a positive way.

Current culture.

It's like calling a English person a European..... technically true, but not commonly done. And I would think, not polite.

Now I think it's entirely fine for non Americans to call Americans Yanks, but, it's just not likely to happen within the us. People get truculent about their regional identifies.

• Like 2

But I bet Mexicans and Canadians have never referred to themselves as Yankees.

Neither have the vast majority of Americans, no matter where in the United States they live.

What gave you the impression that Americans refer to themselves as Yankees?

Well, OK, there's a group of guys on a baseball team in New York... ;)

• Like 2

I'm wondering where everyone is finding all of these people who are confused by the term 'American.' I've never in my life met ANYONE who is confused by this. Everyone I've met who wants to argue about it isn't remotely confused and seems to be lobbying on behalf of some confused imaginary friend.

:iagree:

The whole thing is absolutely ridiculous.

And "usians?" Give me a break.

We've been calling ourselves Americans for a couple hundred years now. If people aren't used to it yet, that's just going to have to be their problem... and if they say they are actually offended by it, I guess I would be a bit less polite about it and tell them to suck it up and deal with it.

• Like 6

But where are these hordes of the offended? I've never met anyone who discussed the "issue" in more serious terms than idle speculation.

• Like 5

What is the culture of which you speak? Yankee is a revolutionary war term. It predates the civil war. It was used during WWII, in a positive way.

Yes, I am aware of that.

You can try if you want, go for it. Start a petition! I would bet my last dollar that you will not be able to convince southerners to call themselves yanks. If you don't understand that, it's really ok. But words can have positive association in one region or era, and a different one elsewhere. I think generally southerners see 'Yankee' as derogatory, and a history lesson won't change that, I predict.

• Like 3

What is the culture of which you speak?  Yankee is a revolutionary war term.  It predates the civil war.  It was used during WWII, in a positive way.  

I think she means Southern culture.  In the Civil War, the North was the Yankees.  Even with all the time passed, and migration back and forth, I'd say a vast majority of southerners would not just find it not apropos, but offensive to be called a Yankee.  That's why Audrey said "them's fightin' words" (but it sounds like she's gotten over this since she's now a resident of north of Yankee-land :lol: )

I know it originated during the Rev. war, but it's the Civil War that made it an offensive term south of the Mason-Dixon line. The Brits calling the US troops Yanks during WWII didn't change that, even if it was later.

• Like 2

No, it was a song written by George M. Cohan. :-)

And yeah, people from the South referring to themselves as "Yankees"...I have visions of really hot places freezing over... :lol:

• Like 3

But where are these hordes of the offended? I've never met anyone who discussed the "issue" in more serious terms than idle speculation.

:iagree:

I have never, ever, ever heard anyone talk about it.

It is a complete non-issue, but there must be a handful of loudmouth pot-stirrers out there somewhere, trying to start some sort of ridiculous new movement in their quest to be even more politically correct than anyone else in history.

I'm not buying into it.

• Like 5

I think she means Southern culture. In the Civil War, the North was the Yankees. Even with all the time passed, and migration back and forth, I'd say a vast majority of southerners would not just find it not apropos, but offensive to be called a Yankee. That's why Audrey said "them's fightin' words" (but it sounds like she's gotten over this since she's now a resident of north of Yankee-land :lol: )

It may have been a civil war era term, but it is still much in use. It may have lost some of the negative tone, but a 'Yankee' is still very much a northerner. One can like a Yankee, marry a Yankee, work for a Yankee etc, but it doesn't mean everyone becomes a Yankee. I'm just telling you - It's not going to work to try to get southerners to call themselves "Yankees" rather than "Americans." Trust me. Not going to happen.

• Like 1

While I don't necessarily think the offended reach the level of hordes, there are people in South America who do care about this.  Many Spanish-speakers refer to US citizens as Norteamericanos instead of Americanos. The language you're speaking can make a difference though. I've talked to Spanish-speakers who say Norteamericano in Spanish and American in English to refer to US citizens.

• Like 4

While I don't necessarily think the offended reach the level of hordes, there are people in South America who do care about this.  Many Spanish-speakers refer to US citizens as Norteamericanos instead of Americanos. The language you're speaking can make a difference though. I've talked to Spanish-speakers who say Norteamericano in Spanish and American in English to refer to US citizens.

But is it considered offensive that most citizens of the US call themselves Americans? 

It may have been a civil war era term, but it is still much in use. It may have lost some of the negative tone, but a 'Yankee' is still very much a northerner. One can like a Yankee, marry a Yankee, work for a Yankee etc, but it doesn't mean everyone becomes a Yankee. I'm just telling you - It's not going to work to try to get southerners to call themselves "Yankees" rather than "Americans." Trust me. Not going to happen.

That's exactly what I meant.  "The Brits used it in WWII to refer to all Americans" and "It's a Rev War term originally" does not trump the word's CIvil War connotations, for better or for worse.  That's still the connotation today in the US - a Yankee is a Northerner, and a Southerner will be deeply offended to be called that name.

That's exactly what I meant.  "The Brits used it in WWII to refer to all Americans" and "It's a Rev War term originally" does not trump the word's CIvil War connotations, for better or for worse.  That's still the connotation today in the US - a Yankee is a Northerner, and a Southerner will be deeply offended to be called that name.

To be fair, you should say "some southerners."

• Like 2

Current culture.

It's like calling a English person a European..... technically true, but not commonly done. And I would think, not polite.

Now I think it's entirely fine for non Americans to call Americans Yanks, but, it's just not likely to happen within the us. People get truculent about their regional identifies.

My kids had to be corrected when they assumed that Germans = Nazis.  I'm sure Germans would not appreciate being generically called by that term.  "Yankees" is also a term historically related to war and ideological divisions.  If a foreigner called me a Yankee I would not assume ill will, but I'd assume that person's knowledge of the US was very limited and stereotypical.  Which is understandable for a foreigner, but then, if you don't know much about a country and its people, it sounds a bit awkward to use slang labels for them.

Come to think about it, long ago an Indian guy in my dorm started that with a history major who happened to be a regular participant in civil war reenactments.  That made for some interesting conversation.

But is it considered offensive that most citizens of the US call themselves Americans?

And why should we care if it does?

I know that sounds mean, but quite honestly, we've been calling ourselves Americans for a very, very long time, so if people are now taking offense, I view that as their problem to deal with, not ours.

• Like 3

As I explained in an earlier post, I have lived 26 years in 3 different Central and South American countries. When citizens of the US visit Ecuador, where we have lived for 14 years, they offend people here by calling themselves Americans as if they have exclusive rights to the term. As I said earlier, within the US, the term American is understood and accepted. Outside the US, there are other people on the American continent that consider themselves to be Americans, in the same way that people who live on the African continent are Africans. In fact, Ecuadorians learn in Geography class that there is a single American continent. They do not separate it into north and south.

But where are these hordes of the offended? I've never met anyone who discussed the "issue" in more serious terms than idle speculation.

• Like 3

And why should we care if it does?

I know that sounds mean, but quite honestly, we've been calling ourselves Americans for a very, very long time, so if people are now taking offense, I view that as their problem to deal with, not ours.

I care because I'm curious. I like to hear about how those in other cultures view things. :) 

• Like 3

As I explained in an earlier post, I have lived 26 years in 3 different Central and South American countries. When citizens of the US visit Ecuador, where we have lived for 14 years, they offend people here by calling themselves Americans as if they have exclusive rights to the term. As I said earlier, within the US, the term American is understood and accepted. Outside the US, there are other people on the American continent that consider themselves to be Americans, in the same way that people who live on the African continent are Africans. In fact, Ecuadorians learn in Geography class that there is a single American continent. They do not separate it into north and south.

Sorry, I must have missed your post. :)

Neither have the vast majority of Americans, no matter where in the United States they live.

What gave you the impression that Americans refer to themselves as Yankees?

Well, OK, there's a group of guys on a baseball team in New York... ;)

I didn't say that "Americans" refer to themselves as "Yankees". I said they could and that I like the term better than "American".

Welp.  Thems the breaks I guess.

The name of our country is The United States of America, key word is ''of''.  It is the United States that are located in the geographical area of America, implying that America is bigger than the  United States. I have lived 26 years in Central and South American countries, and they consider themselves to be Americans, in the same way as people who live in the African continent are Africans.

While in the US, you can call yourself American, but be aware that, to other nationalities, it may have a different meaning. We do not own the name in the same way as Canada owns the name Canadians.

Since the official name of Mexico, translated into English, is also "United States of Mexico," we obviously should not use "United States" or USians, either!  How self-absorbed of us to act like we are the only ones who are "United States"!   What are we supposed to call ourselves, "of"???  

(Where is the sarcasterisc when I need one?)  

I have only ever heard of Latin Americans thinking people from the US ought to be called something else.   I once asked about this on another forum, and people from Canada said, "We are not Americans, though we live in America.  That term is for people from the US, only."   People in Europe said, "What on earth else would we call you?   Americans are from the US.   Anything else would just be crazy!"   However, some Latin Americans do feel bothered and left out by it. 

My kids had to be corrected when they assumed that Germans = Nazis.  I'm sure Germans would not appreciate being generically called by that term.  "Yankees" is also a term historically related to war and ideological divisions.  If a foreigner called me a Yankee I would not assume ill will, but I'd assume that person's knowledge of the US was very limited and stereotypical.  Which is understandable for a foreigner, but then, if you don't know much about a country and its people, it sounds a bit awkward to use slang labels for them.

Or you aren't aren't appreciating that a term in one dialect can have a very different connotation in another. If I call anyone a Yank, I'm not using an American dialect slang term, I'm using an Australian one. I don't think it is at all awkward to use my own slang.

• Like 6

Although the official name is the United States of Mexico, there is no larger area called "Mexico" that is not part of the country itself. However, the United States of America is a part of a much larger geographical area known as America, whose inhabitants can rightfully call themselves Americans, although they do not live in the US. The offense occurs when US citizens claim exclusive rights to the name.

Since the official name of Mexico, translated intoEnglish, is also "United States of Mexico," we obviously should not use "United States" or USians, either!  How self-absorbed of us to act like we are the only ones who are "United States"!   What are we supposed to call ourselves, "of"???  

(Where is the sarcasterisc when I need one?)  

I have only ever heard of Latin Americans thinking people from the US ought to be called something else.   I once asked about this on another forum, and people from Canada said, "We are not Americans, though we live in America.  That term is for people from the US, only."   People in Europe said, "What on earth else would we call you?   Americans are from the US.   Anything else would just be crazy!"   However, some Latin Americans do feel bothered and left out by it. 

• Like 3

The offense occurs when US citizens claim exclusive rights to the name.

This is something I've never heard asserted by an American except out of ignorance. Mind, I'm Canadian, and like most Canadians grew up within driving distance to the US border so I've been hearing "American" since my earliest memories... though we usually went to "the States" rather than "the US." ETA: And now that I think about it, never "to America."

• Like 1

I know I can call myself an American here in Mexico and that no one will correct me or appear to be angry with me.  But I will sound clueless and I'd rather not.  I make plenty of mistakes as it is.

When I try to use accurate terms, it's not just about avoiding giving offense.  It's also to show that I care about the way others feel.  That's why I never call the US "America" and why I steer clear of the word "American" in many settings.  

And it's also really interesting, as nmoira said above. I think the words people use to refer to themselves and others is endlessly fascinating.

• Like 4

But that is their term in their language.  Just like we call Japanese people Japanese but they call themselves Nihonjin.  And they call us Amerikajin.  But we call the Chinese - "Chinese" and the Japanese call them Chugokujin and I'm sure the Chinese call themselves something else entirely (perhaps Laura can tell us what).  In the US, most people (up until recently I would have said everybody) calls themselves Americans.  I have no problem with the terms that others call us in general as long as there is basic courtesy involved, but this is about Americans who are coming in 200 years after the fact and trying to change our name because they are confusing the name of the country with that of the continent.  

• Like 1

I thought I would see what Wikipedia has to say about the usage of the term American in different regions and languages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_(word)

And as a bit of a rabbit trail, the derivation and use of the Spanish term gringo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gringo

(I dislike gringo/gringa because they were used derogatively by schoolmates when I lived in a Latin American country, though I know their use is not always derogatory.)

Who does this?

I'm picturing a person traveling from US to Ecuador and saying things like, "we Americans find your local food spicy."  Or, "have you ever traveled to America?" / "I haven't seen many Americans here."

• Like 4