Menu

If pot was leagalized in your state...

SharonM

would you??  I am asking this of those who have never tried it.  I have known so many people who use and think nothing of it.

But I have never been the kind of person who would because it wasn't legal. Now in my state it is and my dh and I have discussed trying it.

I wonder what all the fuss is about. 

Does anyone else wonder?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted to legalize pot in Oregon when I lived there and it was on the ballot. Mostly I voted for it to keep people out of jail for possession, because I think too many people are in jail, not because I want to smoke pot, lol. I have teenagers and don't think smoking pot would be a good example to them. I don't drink much for the same reason.

my brother grew and dealt. (I used to slice my thumb nail halfway through the main trunk to damage the plants.  anyone with a grow operation of multiple plants claiming it's just for them is full of BS.) it is now legal in my state.  I didn't use when it was VERY easily accessible (and one of his friends repeatedly tried for force - I'm not exaggerating - me.), and I won't be using now.  My brother is has been clean for many years, and is deeply ashamed of that period of his life.  he did lots of trying to get our bil to quit after many many years of use. (he finally did, and feels lots healthier.)

eta: I had nothing to support my non-use. I came from a very liberal family.  my peers all knew my brother was dealing, and would come to me with questions  when I was 13.  I also watched what drug use did to both of my siblings.  I've seen the effects of long-term pot use on my bil (even though he has since quit).

Nope.  It is not a benign drug.  (And I include it's use for medicinal uses, which is why I think it needs to be used with some oversight in such cases.)  We are seeing much more arrests for "driving under the influence of marijuana" (or whatever they call it - I'm too lazy to look up the term) in the news now that it is legalized.  

If anyone had had to live with someone who smoked pot on a regular basis (unless they were doing it as well), they would realize how horrible this drug is.  My daughter's father still smokes pot all the time.  He is so annoying to be around.  He doesn't care about anyone or anything.  Yes, I blame the pot.  He was a nice person before he got hooked on this stuff.

I have asthma and unpredictable reactions to over the counter and prescription medications. I do not plan to ever try it unless I am experiencing a medical problem that it could help with. Philosophically I am all for legalization but if it is ever legalized in my area I plan to do everything in my power to avoid secondhand smoke for the aforementioned reasons.

I've never had an interest. I think it's fine for it to be legal. People should be responsible for the consequences of use just like alcohol. DUI is DUI no matter what the drug. 

When I was late teens/early twenties I had easy access through a long term serious boyfriend and I never smoked. I would be at events where I was the only person not smoking pot. I just didn't want to. No one pressured me either. It just never interested me that much. Some people don't believe that I never smoked pot, but I attended multiple Grateful Dead concerts. I think being sober made them that much more fun. 

Nope.  I agree w/ Jean, it's not a benign drug.  I've seen the destruction of friend's lives, and their families lives do to the use of the drug. I don't have a problem w/ the legalization for medical purposes, but I think it be controlled w/ a prescription.

Just because one can, doesn't mean one should.

No.  For the same reason I've never been the least bit interested in alcohol -- I'm a control freak.  The thought of voluntarily ingesting any substance that would make me lose even a small amount of control over my words or actions gives me the willies.

If I had a legitimate medical condition that could benefit from marijuana use, then sure.

FWIW, I do support legalization.

Absitively posolutely not.

It does a lot of damage both physically and mentally.  I need all the drive I can muster.  ;)

And the last thing I need is another addiction.  I tend to have an addictive personality.  This is also one reason why I rarely touch alcohol and never have more than one drink.

NO! I have never used it, and never will.

People can argue all they want about how it's benign and not a gateway drug, and lots of great people use it, and I still call BS. It has only led to problems in and trouble to the many people I know how used/use it. After growing up way too close to the negative effects of it and alcohol, I will never touch either.

I don't fit your never tried category. I came of age in the seventies. While I've been there and thought it was fun at the time, I grew out of it and have no desire to go back. 

I'm not against legalization though. I do think it's hypocritical for alcohol to be legal and not pot, plus there does seem to be some medical benefit. However, I wouldn't want to be around someone who's high. I don't like being around anyone who is drunk either. It repulses me to see people out of control. I can't help it. Pawz4me, I get it. I think that in addition to maturity kicking in, the control thing is another reason I didn't continue.

Not to derail, but I guess my experience is quite different than those commenting. I knew a lot of people who smoked in high school. None of those people had long term "trouble". They are all productive citizens with degrees, working professional jobs.

The other thing is while I knew people who used marijuana, I only know one person who used other drugs. That person is also a productive citizen with a degree. However, I do know that that person has many friends who used multiple other drugs and whose lives did not turn out as well--IOW, I think he was lucky among his group to turn out OK. 

I have seen much more trouble with alcohol use. I never knew anyone who smoked pot and drove a car. 

All substances (alchohol, marijuana, other drugs)  have neurological effects. I think adults who choose to use such substances should still be held responsible for their behavior. I also think substances should not be available to those under 21, due to the effects on the still developing brain. Again, I will reiterate, I have no interest in using marijuana myself--I have always been averse to neurological effects on my own brain. 

Great question. I hadn't even thought about it.

I've never been drunk, so I doubt I'd try it if it were legal. I'm like a PP said earlier--sort of scared of the idea of being out of control. It sounds like pot is a lot like alcohol. Some people can drink/smoke it and be fine. Others ruin their lives over it.

You know what? Here's the truth--if it were legal in my state and if my DH was away on a business trip and if the kids were out of the house for the weekend and I was alone then yes. I would try it. But I can't stand being around drunk people (their goofiness and lack of control make me feel uneasy) and I wouldn't want anyone to be around me in that state.

I would never in a million years try it if it weren't legal and most certainly not around the kids and not around anyone else. And I'd try it only once, just out of curiousity.

I think it should be legal, regulated and taxed like alcohol. I know productive citizens who smoke. It would relieve some of the prison/ jail overcrowding, add tax revenue, and save tax payer dollars.

I have tried it but it wasn't for me, neither is alcohol. I'm usually designated driver since I don't drink, so being dd for a smoker wouldn't bother me either.

I know someone close to me who used it for many years.  At some point he stopped using it.  Not long thereafter he told me that seeing the difference, he realized that he wasted decades of his life just by lacking a sense of ambition.

I wouldn't say his life was "ruined" in the usual sense of the word.   As far as I'm aware, he doesn't have a jail record, has a college degree and a job, bought a house and raised a kid, and the woman he married at age 22 is still his wife at 50.  But in his own opinion, he always just did the minimum required to get by.  He was disappointed in himself.

I'm used to working hard and taking on challenges all my life.  Now as I get older, I don't have as much energy and I dislike stress more and more.  Without any substance use, I have no problem getting distracted or taking a nap when I can get away with it, LOL.  Sometimes I wish I could be fired and go into unofficial retirement.  The last thing I need is a drug that's going to take away what little ambition I have left.

I don't know that I would if it was legalized but if it came down to drinking or smoking pot and smoking was legal I would rather smoke. I don't care for alcohol at all and have no desire to get drunk or high. I have seen alcohol destroy much more lives then I saw pot destroy. I don't like being at parties or around a lot of people drinking.

Nope. I live in a legalized state and have no desire. And, I work for a company that has random drug tests. Just not worth the chance. :thumbdown:

I have tried it (eons ago) and it just made me paranoid). Also, I just don't like the feeling of not being fully aware and functional. I even stop after 1 or 2 glasses of wine. I'm a wimp.

But, I agree that if you want to give it a try and personally experience it, one time isn't going to be a problem.

I wouldn't smoke cigarettes (although I did in my past), because they aren't healthy, I don't drink because I know I become addicted to things easily and alcohol, although benign when it's one or two now and then, can destroy lives when a person drinks too much. I see pot in the same light. I've tried it before, I would never tough it again. The feeling is good, and I can understand it's benefits on a medical level, but I can totally see the downside for those that get hooked. Besides, I don't like anything messing with my head, my head is messed enough without using drugs or meds unnecessarily to mess with it more.

In not at all interested in the experience, but I'm not rabidly adverse either. If it became legal, I guess the idea might grow on me over the years... But right now, no. (And "the years" might also substantiate my "no" too, if I witnessed ill-effects.)

I don't fit your never tried category. I came of age in the seventies. While I've been there and thought it was fun at the time, I grew out of it and have no desire to go back. 

I'm not against legalization though. I do think it's hypocritical for alcohol to be legal and not pot, plus there does seem to be some medical benefit. However, I wouldn't want to be around someone who's high. I don't like being around anyone who is drunk either. It repulses me to see people out of control. I can't help it. Pawz4me, I get it. I think that in addition to maturity kicking in, the control thing is another reason I didn't continue.

This sums up my position.

Smoking, no. Edibles, yes. Maybe.  I've read it's better than SSIs, and with far fewer side effects (I'm not on an SSI, but anxiety is one reason it is prescribed) .  It's legal where I am, so I have thought about it, but doubt I will act on the thought, unless a medical need arises.  It does beats alcohol abuse;  high people just chill and eat.   Nobody rages on pot, and sex is better.

If you want to try it, try it! One time won't do a bit of harm and it could be fun.

If you do try, make sure you ask for medical grade. Anyone ever hear that 911 call where the guy thinks he and his wife are dying. Paranoia and panic attacks are not pretty. Pay for the good stuff.

My grandmother, who has a terrible sweet tooth once ate a couple of brownies at a house she was babysitting at as a 40-something year-old.

They had offered them, forgetting it was the "enhanced" batch, not the "plain" batch.

My grandmother always told that story and said how silly and dizzy it made her. Fortunately, she ate them before the family even left the house, so other plans could be made.

Anyway. . . 

I've never smoked anything in my life. I've never been drunk. I'm going to two weddings this summer, each in the new "pot" states. I don't plan on smoking. . . even if it is available.

I wouldn't smoke it, but I might eat it, just to try it. Maybe. But probably not. It probably won't be readily available where I find myself.

I know lots of folks who use pot recreationally including a bank manager, a rocket scientist, and an accountant. Any stories told about the horrors of pot abuse could easily be told about the horrors of alcohol abuse (and worse with alcohol), yet alcohol is legal in every state. 

Medical and recreational is legal in my state.  I never tried it when I was younger because it would have cost me my security clearance when I was working.  I don't know of anybody who has started using it now that recreational use is legal here.  I look at it like alcohol, and I don't care what people do in the privacy of their own homes.  

I'd probably try it, just out of curiosity. But, I'm not big into using substances whether pharmaceutical or alcoholic. I have no issue with other people using if they are so inclined. Doesn't affect my opinion of someone if they smoke or eat it. I have much bigger concerns about abuse of food and prescribed medications.

JMO.

Even though it is technically legal in Colorado, you can't drive after you have smoked it, you can't smoke it before or on the job, you can't smoke it if you are a college student or an athlete.  And federally, it is still illegal.