Menu

What Do You Call Your Mom? What Do Your Kids Call YOU?

mathmarm

My mom?  Mom.  Kids call me Mom, Mommy, Momma.  Dh is Dad or Daddy.

But a lot of relatives and others around here call the young females "mamas" (including the "s") and the young males "papas"(children, not young adults) and the moms can be called Mom or Momma, the fathers can be called Dad, Pa or Papa, so I had to get used to that and not confuse who they were talking to.

Hubby, who is a CODA, doesn't call his mom anything, never has. He said that even when he thinks of her he has a physical sensation in his chin/cheek

His parents are both Deaf and his first language was American Sign Language. The sign for mom, requires a touch to the chin area.

I have noticed that when he is speaking about her with his hearing siblings--all 3 of them will do the sign for mom and rarely say 'mom' in connection to their own mom.

Mom growing up, and my kids call me mommy although I've heard the odd mom out of my oldest. I'm expecting I'll get mom more often as they get older.

Dad or daddy growing up, depending on what was happening or what I was hoping was going to happen. My oldest calls dh dad and my younger two call him daddy. Again, I think it will fully change to dad for, at least, the two boys.

When my oldest two were little they said Mama. I was a little sad when they started calling me Mom.

We moved to Australia when the oldest was 12 and the youngest wasn't yet. So, they picked up the vernacular and started calling me Mum.

We've been back in the USA for many years and I still get called Mum by most of them. They younger ones frequently say ,"Mom", but when they write it down they all still write Mum.

They call their father Dad, or sometimes, in a joking manner, Pops.

My mother called her father Daddy until the day he died - in his 70s. Yet she called her mom, Mother.

My BILs kids call him Dad but their mom Mommy even thought they are all in their 20s.

When my parents became grandparents they became know as gramma and grampa. I admit I call them that sometimes instead of mom and dad.

I say Grandma and Grandpa to my kids so often you'd think I'd be used to it.  But we don't live near my family.  So, when I went to visit and my sister and niece were there, it confused me EVERY time my sister would say Mommy or Grandma with my niece in the room.  I couldn't figure out whether she was referring to herself, our mother, or our grandmother. It was very weird, lol.

I call my mother "ma" and father "dad". My two oldest kids call me "mom", my 18 yr old calls me by my first name because she knew me for two years and called me by my first name before I adopted her. She refers to me as "my mom" to others. My youngest calls me either "mommy" or "mama". We also moved to South Carolina and everyone is referred to as "mama" here, not "mommy", so I get called both.

The kids call me mum and occasionally mom. When I am a grandmother, I'll be Marmee. I picked that early because if there is a grandchild in the next five years there is a good possibility of four great-grandma's and two grandmas being alive. That's a LOT of grandmas for the dear child to keep straight. I do not like granny or grandmother, and love the character of Marmee in "Little Women" so decided that would fit well. My son-in-law already refers to me as Marmee. Good boy! LOL

I called my mother mom, sometimes by her nickname for fun. I called my father daddy for a long time, but in later years I called him dad.

My kids call me mom, sometimes mommy. Ds17 called me Ginger for a few years when he was 10/11. I didn't mind, it was like he was visiting that way.

Eldest son calls me Mumps but I can't remember why, and I don't mind, I think it's funny.

My mother is "mom" and my father was "daddy". My older siblings refer to him as "dad" and I'm guessing the more childish "daddy" in my head is because I was 5yo when he died.

DD calls me mom/mommy/mama/Jackie interchangeably. Likewise, she calls my DH dad/daddy/Andrew interchangeably.

When I'm ticked and referring to her, it's Mother.  If I'm not it's, Mom.  She's passed away, though.  When she was alive, if I were super angry, it was Mommy Dearest.

We call my husband's mother Gram.  Everybody calls her that.

The munchkin has decided everyone should be called by a title and a name, so it's maman Katherine and papa John (she only speaks french).  She's also extra happy if she can extend it even further.  The neighbour is mamie Suzanne grand-mère.

When I was a kid it was Mama and Daddy, until we moved north (I was 6?) and then Mom and Daddy. I call my mom either Mom or Mimi (her grandmother name / term of endearment) and my dad is still Daddy.

My people call me Mama, and I'll be sad if they ever switch to Mom. And the hubs is Daddy, with the occasional Dad for fun or funny.

I don't call my mother anything.

My son calls me Mom. My daughter (and some of my kids' friends) call me Bob or occasionally Boblet.

The Bob thing came about because my daughter likes to "interpret" for my dog. She was doing this in kind of a stuffed-up, little kid voice one day, and "Mom" came out more like "Bob." She thoughts it was cute, and the name stuck.

"Boblet" is because I am shorter than both of my kids, and they went through a phase during which they enjoyed reminding me of that fact whenever possible.

They both call my husband Dad, although my daughter still calls him Daddy now and then when she's working hard at being cute.

By my teens they were mom and dad, (and occasionally cranky old man or daddy....depending on my mood.)

Now, mom and dad or old woman/lady and old goat or daddy......again, depends on the mood/moment!

For example-

I pull up at their house to drop something off and my dad is outside smoking.

Dad: Are you afraid that bumper will fall off if you wash it?

Me: Play nice you old goat or I'll drop your mother off for a family visit.

10 minutes later, as I'm leaving-

Dad: You heading out?

Me: yep. I'm heading over to.....blah, blah, blah

Dad: Be careful. I'll see you later.

Me: Bye Daddy; behave yourself!

Mom here. I'd rather be Mama or Mami, but since my mom is Mom, we all just kind of got promoted. My parents are now Grandmom and Grandad and I expect to be Grandmom and Great-Grandmom someday, even though I have repeatedly stated that my preference would be Gramma, not to be confused with Grandma.

DXH is Dad to his own kids and Uncle Hisfirstname to my other kids. The oldest has her own Dad and the youngest has more of a family friend/uncle relationship with his known sperm donor (statement of fact, not derogatory term) , so KD is hisfirstname to his face and "my dad" when referred to in third person.