Menu

What Do You Call Your Mom? What Do Your Kids Call YOU?

mathmarm

Guest inoubliable

As a child, I called my parents "mamaidh" and "da". Now, I call my mother by her first name and I call my father "Da". 

My children call me by my first name unless we're out in public or DH gets twitchy about it. They call him "dad". None of them have ever called us "mommy" or "daddy". 

I called/call my folks mom and dad. Apparently I came home from my first day of kindy and told them I was too old to call them mommy and daddy anymore and never did again.

My dd6 calls me mama or mommy, the rest call me mom, or "the most wonderful mother in the world" when trying to win me over for something and  "mooooooooooooom" when complaining about something. The older 3 all called me mommy until they were each around 7, dd6 I hope sticks with mama, I love being called that. 

I call my parents mom and dad. Kids call them grandma and grandaddy. My kids call me mom or marmee (after i had my 4th dd, my oldest dd started calling me that because she loves Little women and my grandmother name is a form of marmee--grandmarmee but.  that is a mouthful so its marmar) Kids call dh daddy and his grandpa name is Pappy.

I called my parents Mama and Daddy when I was growing up.  These days, it's mostly Mom and Dad.  Well, and with Mom, we joke about how we're standing up and call her Blessed (see Proverbs 31:28).  One year for Mother's Day, my middle sis and I (without discussing it) each sent Mom a card addressed to "Blessed" and noted that we stood up while writing the card.

My kids call me Mommy mostly, sometimes Mama.  I think I had planned to be Mama, but DD#1 was in daycare for 3 years and heard mothers referred to as Mommy so often that she picked it up, and I really didn't care.  Occasionally, DD#1 will use Mom, but I usually respond with a chopped-off version of her name that she doesn't like. ;)  I'm not quite ready for her to be old enough to call me just plain Mom.  They call DH Daddy, with DD#1 doing the occasional Dad (usually at the same time that she tries out Mom).

I call my mom, Mom, when I am talking to her and I call my dad, Dad.  The kids call them Grammie & Grandpa.  I call my ILs  Grandpa Dave & Grandma Debbie, just like the kids do.   My children call Dh, Dad or Daddy, and me Mom or Momma.  My Dh has expressed his opinion that the kids call me Momma at 19, 16, 11 & 9 is "weird."  In fact what I hear most is;

"But Mommmmmmaaaaaa.....I don't want to."   

Amber in SJ  

I call my mom, mom.

I get anything relatively close: mom, ma, mama, mother, mum, mommy.....

Ds usually calls me mom

Dd7 calls me mama when she is happy and a very abrupt mom when she is mad. 

Dd15 calls me ma, mom, mum and if she really needs me 'mommy'.  I call tell immediately if she is just wants me to do something for her, or if she really needs me to do it for her based on if she calls me mommy or not.  I don't think she even realizes that she does it, and I am not going to tell her my secret. LOL  

DDs boyfriend calls me 'ma' as do most of his circle of friends that hang out at my house.

My sons call us Mum and Dad - when they were small they called us Mummy and Daddy.  

I call my mother Mama (although I called her Mum when I was a child).  I called my father Dad.  

Husband (Texas) called his parents Mom and Dad.

The children called their English grandparents Nana and Granddad, their Texas grandparents Nanny and Papa.

L

My twins called me mama for a very long time. Now they call me mom. 

My youngest called me mama when he was young. Then he stopped talking due to selective mutism and didn't call me anything for years. It was a very sad time for him and me. Now he calls me mutti which I have grown to love. I have shared his story before, but if anyone would like to read about his journey you can read about it here

Kidlets call us Mummy and Daddy. My parents are called Grandma and Grandpa by all of us - I've got so used to it that I even call them that when the kids aren't in the room. I also tend to call my husband Daddy, which I admit isn't the best when we're alone. I'm trying to make an effort to call him by his name.

I call my parents Mama and Daddy. Occasionally I think that maybe I'm too old to be calling my father Daddy, but after all this time it would feel weird to switch. Plus, I think it might break his heart a little if I did. Our children call us Mama and Daddy. They call both sets of grandparents, Grandma and Grandpa. I guess we are a little boring! LOL