Menu

Today is my 41st birthday. A year ago I posted here about barely making it through...

Kari C in SC

I don't know if anyone remembers that I came here a year ago and wrote how much I was struggling with celebrating my 40th birthday when my son would never get to. I've been thinking back to how hard last year was. I'm happy to say that this birthday was not nearly as hard. I am far from over it, around it or through it, but every little step is something. I had a quiet day at home with my family, my mom and my sister. Anyway, I just was thinking about how when I posted here last year that I felt like I might not survive and here I am another year older and still surviving.

Happy Birthday! We're the same age. I had my birthday a few weeks ago. I'm so sad for you. I'm at an age that I know my son won't reach and that's a feeling you just can't describe to anyone. I'm glad this year was easier than last for you. I haven't gotten to the toughest part yet, but it is encouraging to know that people DO live through it.

Happy Birthday! We're the same age. I had my birthday a few weeks ago. I'm so sad for you. I'm at an age that I know my son won't reach and that's a feeling you just can't describe to anyone. I'm glad this year was easier than last for you. I haven't gotten to the toughest part yet, but it is encouraging to know that people DO live through it.

I'm so sorry. It never goes away, but I found I was less on the crazy side this year. I cried, but less. I was able to smile more. I think it helped that mom who I really love dearly - let me have a small family gathering instead of the larger ones that are more of a tradition. I understand that I am her baby, but I just need to celebrate it a bit less.

I have no miracle words for you other than you do learn to have joy again, but you have to actively seek it. It is joy with pain always there. Many hugs to you.