Menu

Whose already ordering 2013/2014 curriculum?

lynn

I have just started researching for next year dd is 2nd/3rd grade and ds will be 8th/9th. I have a list of what I want but if I order now I'll want to start it NOW, kwim.

Mind sharing what you are planning next year and what about what grade level. I still need to get some ideas. TIA.

Hmmm, let's see...

Science: 12th grade Physics and 8/9th Biology pulled from here 7th grade Biology, probably RSO Biology 2 from Pandia Press. 2nd grade still deciding. I have RSO Chemistry or I can order RSO Earth Science. ES is more along his reading level, but none of my kids have been too into it.

History: 12th-History of Weapons (self put together from ideas on HS board), 8th grade: Where Brook and River Meet (Also includes English), 7th grade: Learning Literature through Lord of the Rings + whatever we add in. 2nd grade: SOTW Book 2

Math: Math U See: Algebra 2, Algebra 1, Zeta and Beta

English: Michael Clay Thompson Grammar for older 3, Growing with Grammar for 2nd. Winning with Writing for 2nd, Natural Speller for 7th and 2nd, Assigned reading for all, list not decided yet.

French, home ec, computer skills, various other electives.

Lots of people are busy, busy planning and buying if the activity at the FB group is any indication! Jumped about 500 members in last several weeks and lots more activity than there used to be. I'm continuing with the Charlotte Mason based Orthodox program we've been using the last two years.

{*} Homeschool Used Curriculum Swap -- got its start here at WTM.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hsucs/

I have a large portion of what I need for next year. I need to make some final decisions, order a few more things and get on with my planning and reading. Ds will be in 10th grade, these are the subjects we're doing:

English: Argument Builder, IB language and lit, grammar (undecided)

Math: Geometry (undecided) & Lial's Intermediate Algebra

History: US History (a mix of things)

Science: Astronomy/Space

Japanese II: Irasshai with Beginning Japanese

Star Trek and Its Influence: custom designed elective

Ethics: may do Yale OCW "philosophy and the Science of Human Nature" which incorporates ethics, cognitive science

Me. I have changed my mind a hundred times but I think I'm finally settled on these. I'd like to purchase everything before the summer (I've started already). Here's what I'm getting for 7th grade (I'd love some feedback on this):

Literature: Lightning Lit 7

Vocabulary: Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop Level B

Writing: Jump-In OR continue with Wordsmith Apprentice OR Killgallon Elementary

Math: AoPS Pre-Algebra

History: K12 Human Odyssey (ordered the other day)

Geography: Runkle Geography

Science: Continuing with Apologia General Science.

Last August when a HS friend decided to send her boys to school, I bought some of the material (LA, science) she had purchased for her 7th grader in anticipation of our 7th grade year next year, so I made an early start. Our planned lineup:

LA: R&S7, Wordly Wise 7, SWO H, IEW (outside class)

Literature: various - may look at Lightning Lit 7

Math: pre-algebra (undecided - finishing SM 6, but not really ready for Algebra)

History: Early Modern continuing with K12 Human Odyssey and various supplements

Science: Science Explorer - topics in physics and earth science

Fine Arts: high school art class at art center, continue piano

Other: boy scouts, high school/club swim teams

Yes, I'm almost there. The fees for the paid classes are in, and I have about 80% of the books. One local class teacher hasn't provided the book list yet. And one of my paid gigs should be giving me the final check in a few weeks. So I'm hoping to get the final books in May and June. For two teens:

Math: Saxon Algebra 1/2 and Saxon Advanced Math

Science: DIVE Earth Science and DIVE Chemistry

Hist/Lit: TBD and Omnibus

Writing: Lost Tools of Writing and Various

Industrial and Fine Arts: Drawing and Carpentry

Latin: Wheelock's and AP materials (TBD)

Misc: Piano, Health

I've made my lists and am slowly ordering things as they become available used. I won't buy new curriculum till mid-summer if I can't find his curriculum used.

So far I've got his geography materials, RS4K prelevel biology materials (watching for prelevel 1 chem as well right now), his language/writing... watching for R&S Math 1 used and I will decide on his reading/phonics/spelling curriculum when we get closer to the school year since we are going to be doing a lot of phonics materials over the summer - and I am not positive what level I'll be ordering.

I have been buying DD some preK materials as I'm working on re-doing the small classroom I have to have a better lay out for preK materials along wtith DS 1st grade materials.

I've bought everything except MCT Town level, which is going to cost me about as much as everything else put together.

Dd5, K: The Reading Lesson, McGuffey Primer, First Language Lessons 1, Singapore 1

Dd7, 3rd: Ambleside year 3, Singapore 5, WWE 2 ( finishing because we started late), MCT Town, First Form Latin 1

I'm in the planning phase right now. ABeka has a display in our area next week, so I'll go to that for a few things so I can get free shipping. Other than that, I'll probably wait till Easter is over and co-op is done and I can get a chance to think about things

I'm mostly done with planning, but I've only bought a couple of things so far. I will look for as much used as possible before buying new.

5th grade ds:

Bible: Awana and Positive Action

Math: BJU 5th/6th (will finish 5th mid-year)

Logic: Lots of logic puzzle workbooks (one of his favorite activities)

Reading: BJU 5th and Book Club

Grammar: R&S (doing 4th but started in January, 5th when he's done)

Spelling: R&S (same grade level as grammar)

Writing: IEW in co-op US History Vol. 1 theme book

Cursive: BJU 4th (like the theme of the book)

Science: Apologia Chemistry and Physics in co-op (new book out this summer)

History: American in one year (still thinking on this)

Geography: US Geography (Trail Guide)

Social Studies: short study on government and economics

Art: in co-op

Upward Basketball

possibly start piano here at home with me

DD in 11th:

Spanish 2 in an outside class (Spanish for Mastery)

Algebra 2: Lial's Intermediate Alg.

Chemistry: Apologia with labs in co-op

US History: BJU dvd or online

American Lit: BJU dvd or online

Writing: IEW (haven't decided yet); SAT prep materials

Bible: Positive Action

Electives: still to be decided

Fine Arts: theater production (In Sound of Music now; hopes to be in a play this summer and South Pacific next year)

Well I won't list per grade, but next year I am teaching 9th, 8th, 4th and K

Ker is going to ps 2 days a week next year and then doing 3 days a week at home. The rest will be home.

Orders placed this week: Konos, language lessons through literature, ellen mchenry science(cells, the brain), apologia science(elem A&P, zoology 2), corps of rediscovery projects, multiple kits and books on various topics in konos.

At conference next month I am buying MUS, Queen homeschool copywork, cow eyeballs, and a few odds and ends.

The teens will be doing an online latin class with our school board, and perhaps a lit class first semester. and an online class with our distance learning board in fashion design and computers.

1. I 'm looking at Life of Fred Trigonometry, Trig Home Companion, Calculus, Statistics, Linear Algebra, and the Answer Keys for the last three.

They are in my cart at Rainbow Resource--does

that count? The two former are $45 and the three latter ones are $136 with the answer keys, which seems reasonable.

2. I am looking at The Teaching Company's Great Course: Physics And Our Universe: How It All Works. It's in my cart at TC, but it seems a little expensive: $149.95. It is a lot of lectures though--60 (60 thirty-minute lectures) so it's probably reasonable.

3. I am looking at The Teaching Company's Great Course: The Art and Craft of Mathematical

Problem Solving. $69.95--I'm also balking at the price. It's 24 lectures though so a lot of

info.

4. I have several Dover Thrift editions in my amazon shopping cart--Beowulf, The Odyssey,etc.

We have access to those free on Gutenberg but sometimes it's nice to hold a book, and they

are about $3 each.

Haven't actually ordered any of this yet, but they are all under serious consideration.

I ordered the Rod and Staff English stuff we'll need because it's 10% off right now and I know what we need. But anything that requires brain power from me (ie I have to figure out what I want to use) will probably have to wait until I'm done teaching this year. Just can't handle much more right now!

I've had almost all of mine for a few weeks now.

I will have a 2nd/3rd grader, 6th grader, and a 9th grader.

2nd grade:

LA: All about Reading 2, All about Spelling 1 (maybe start 2), start cursive writing

Math: Teaching Textbooks 3

Science: Nancy Larson Science 2

History/Social Studies: unit studies ala mom

Maybe Song School Latin not sure on that one yet.

6th Grade:

LA: Barton Reading and Spelling, hopefully we'll be in level 4 by the time fall comes and I'm hoping to get through levels 4-6 by the end of the year.

IEW SWI A

Math: Teaching Textbooks 6

Science: Nancy Larson 4

History: SOTW 4

Foreign Language: LFC A

The 9th graders things are on the High school board in a thread there about 9th grade plans.

Art isn't listed because we just have a Home Art Studio as well as Meet the Masters that we do when we have time to fit it in and my 6th grader takes an art class at a local home studio twice a month.

I think I am close to be done for2 after schoolers

For DS

Keep going on AOPS algebra part 2 with NEM 3

Mr. q advanced chemistry/ trying to find a biology.. Not sure yet

I want to start him on MCT but still not quite sure how to fit in

For DD

SM3. We have SM from now all the way to 6th grade,so we are good with math

RSO life mixing in Mr Q life

Mct island

We hs year round but here are the curric. additions planned during the next 6 months. (birthdays listed here are their ages as of fall 13). Ds5 will be starting 100 easy lessons, he is third in a row so we are set. I will need to buy him evan moore handwriting as he is finishing kumon now. I have all he will need for the rest of language arts. I need to buy him Excel math k and some kumon math and mm light blue.

For my dd6 we will need to buy Excel math 2. She'll need ETC3 and 4. All the other la is nonconsumable that will be passed down from dd7. I have to get her a journal, too.

For my dd7 I'll need Excel math grade 2. Halfway through the year we will start her with mct island series. She will need ETC 4.5. I'm not sure what we'll do after ETC 4.5. Somewhere during the year we'll move to WWE2.

For the whole group I am going to start Nancy Larson Science and some TOPs science.

Dd4 will start some early kumon and probably get some new playdough.

1. I 'm looking at Life of Fred Trigonometry, Trig Home Companion, Calculus, Statistics, Linear Algebra, and the Answer Keys for the last three.

They are in my cart at Rainbow Resource--does

that count? The two former are $45 and the three latter ones are $136 with the answer keys, which seems reasonable.

2. I am looking at The Teaching Company's Great Course: Physics And Our Universe: How It All Works. It's in my cart at TC, but it seems a little expensive: $149.95. It is a lot of lectures though--60 (60 thirty-minute lectures) so it's probably reasonable.

3. I am looking at The Teaching Company's Great Course: The Art and Craft of Mathematical

Problem Solving. $69.95--I'm also balking at the price. It's 24 lectures though so a lot of

info.

4. I have several Dover Thrift editions in my amazon shopping cart--Beowulf, The Odyssey,etc.

We have access to those free on Gutenberg but sometimes it's nice to hold a book, and they

are about $3 each.

Haven't actually ordered any of this yet, but they are all under serious consideration.

Just for your information, The Teaching Company has sales all the time and often the lecture sets go on sale at a very reduced price. We tend to love the Teaching Company!

Yes, I've actually been shopping for the past month or so. I've made a list of my "must haves" and "would like to have" books. Whenever I find them at the used bookstore, I buy them. I'm still undecided on geometry and consumer math, so that will wait until conference.

I've purchased all of our first semester's books. We'll be using the Konos-in-a-Box: Obedience set with my (then) 2nd grader and K'er. I didn't know if we'd like it or not, so I'm waiting to see how we like it before deciding on our second semester.

DD will also be using Singapore 2A/2B U.S. Edition, FLL 2, WWE 1, CLP handwriting to start teaching cursive, and AAS.

DS will be using Singapore Essentials K, A Reason for Handwriting K, and Phonics Pathways.

I ordered 4 levels of HOD :blushing:

I started off buy ordering 3 levels, then decided that I should start at a different level before I get in over my head since I've never used the program before! So 2 levels will be used starting April 1st, and then I will be repeating the preschool, and my older 2 will move up to the next levels come January! Yeesh!

I've got items to get rid of though! We typically order during tax season.

I'm almost done. I still need to purchase math for dd12 and ds9, along with foreign language for both and a few extras for ds9's geography study. Dd5 is completely taken care of.

Dd12 will be using Oak Meadow 6 for most of the year. We just started it and are on Week 6. She will also use Galore Park French or Spanish-still trying to decide. Ds9 is using Prima Latina, Cantering the Country, and Galloping the Globe. Both will do art & music studies that I found on Pinterest. Dd5 will use Oak Meadow Preschool, A Child's Seasonal Treasury, and the Wynstone's Kindergarten series-which we have been using this year already.

I have some things left, but a good chunk has already been purchased. For 5th grade this fall:

Math: MM and LOF, then move into AoPS pre algebra. Already have all that.

LA: MCT Voyage - still deciding on which components, so not ordered. Continue Hake 5, buy next level later in the year. Also ordered IEW Ancient History theme book.

History: K12 Human Odyssey, v. 1, along with IEW (above) and CTC World History Detective, all purchased.

Science: Mr Q and CTC Science Detective, all purchased.

Also have logic books and some of our literature. So I still need MCT Voyage, more literature, something for Spanish, and some odds and ends. I'm probably forgetting something, but that covers most of it.

Thinking and contemplating:

Freshman-Con. Acad.- hon geometry, hon. Biology, AP World Histrory, German, Per Fin, Art History, Health

K-er-CLE 1st grade math and LA and Reading, Sonlight Science books and Fairytales

Now it gets harder

7th-going to try to complete CLE 7th and 8th math, CLE LA, Human Oddysey middle ages, science and lit up in the air-I'd like to just write through the curriculum and he needs a language but he HATES Latin ( and Spanish) so we may just use Wordly Wise, keyboarding

4th-CLE math and supplements~she's ahead and bored easily, CLE LA, SOTW middle ages, IEW, keyboarding, science-mommy made with lots of health/biology

DD will be in 5th next year. I started ordering our curriculum in November because of a specific sale at one of the vendors. I just finished by ordering our Science and Math last week.

Here's what we'll be doing:

• History: History Revealed: Romans, Revolutionaries, Reformers (Middle Ages to Reformation) w/MP's FMOMA integrated
  • Literature: MP's Lit for Middle Ages, as well as about 15-20 other non-fiction and HF books of the period (too many to list)
  • Bible: MP's Christian Studies Book III
  • Writing: MP's CC-Fable Stage
  • Grammar: R&S 6 w/Introductory Lessons in English Grammar by Maxwell
  • Spelling: R&S 6
  • Latin: MP's Latina Christiana
  • Math: Horizon's 5
  • Science: God's Design for Chemistry ( 2 books= Properties of Atoms & Molecules & Properties of Matter)
  • Geography: MP's Geography I (The Middle East, North Africa, Europe)

We are changing everything from previous years except for math. We had been using Christian Kids Explore series for science up to this point, but my dd says it's not in depth enough. I have a feeling nothing is in depth enough for her, but we'll try this new one and just supplement if we have to. I tried MOH this year for history, but again, dd complained it wasn't in depth enough. So after reviewing History Revealed and seeing that it is a chronological approach but with monthly units, I'm hoping this fits the bill. I've included MP's FMOMA to round out and add more depth to certain historical figures.

DD absolutely loved the historical fiction books I chose for our Ancients study. We will have read 21 books by the time we're done (in 6 weeks). Therefore, I've chosen quite a few to add to the three required for MP's lit package. I'll have her do MP's lit guides, but the rest we'll read in a combination of read alouds and read alones for fun and just orally discuss the chapters as we read them.

Latin was dd's choice. She has done 2 years of Spanish, but wanted to learn Latin instead. So, that's what we are going to do. (I had 5 years of Spanish, but Latin will be completely new for me too so we'll learn together.)

Writing has been a toss up. Haven't liked many of the curriculum out there and I've tried a few. DD doesn't really like writing either. So I've chosen to try MP's Classical Composition to bring some structure to her writing and get back to basics. I was intrigued by IEW, but it was cost prohibitive.

I just put in one of my last orders. I have Math for 5th to order, but the rest is extras:

IEW poetry

Mapping the World w/Art

Typing

I'll have 2nd and 5th.

Rod and staff grammar and spelling

WWE and WWS

Apologia Anatomy and History of Medicine

SOTW 4 & Great Courses US history

I've started.

7th grader:

History: Finishing up Truthquest AHYS3, then MOH1 Ancients with Truthquest Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome.

Language Arts: Essentials at a local Classical cottage school.

Math: ThinkWell 7 (purchased at a discount from HSBC! https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/thinkwell/?source=15838 expires 4/1)

Science: Science Fusion, starting with Intro Science and Technology.

Bible: Community Bible Study (Deuteronomy, Job and 1 Peter) and Youth Study at church

Literature: Words Aptly Spoken

4th grader:

Preparing Hearts for His Glory, History, Literature and Science

BJU 4 English

BJU 4 Math

A Reason for Handwriting

Community Bible Study (Deuteronomy, Job and 1 Peter) and Awana

Foundations at the local Classical cottage school (as a supplement)

Keep in mind -- there comes a time of year when EVERYONE is buying their curricula and materials for the upcoming school year, and so it takes much longer for your order to come in (so I've been told by homeschoolers). Ordering a few months in advance helps assure you will have your stuff when you want it.

That said, I'm holding off on ordering stuff until latter May and over the summer for both planning and budgetary concerns. My kids are currently in private school, and we will start homeschooling after this school year ends. Our payment plan for tuition is monthly, with the last (smaller) payment due in May. Money is tight right now, and we simply can't afford to buy curricula until we are no longer paying tuition.

Additionally, I'm still in the process of picking curricula and materials to order. I plan on doing some "homeschool lite" over the summer to ease into things (this is new to all of us here), but plan on being full steam around the time the schools here start in the fall. Therefore some materials I will need right away at the start of summer, and others I can hopefully order just a little later to help spread out the financial bite.

It doesn't help that the big homeschool conference in our area (at least there is one in our area!) is in early August. I want to see the stuff "in person" before then! But we do have a good conference, from what I hear, and my DH says to plan on buying more than one curricula for certain subjects simply because there's no telling what will work for us until we start using it.

Chomping at the bit, myself.... I want to START!

11th grade: TOG Year 3, Rosetta Stone Spanish 3, Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2, Oak Meadow Environmental Science

10th grade: TOG Year 3, Rosetta Stone Spanish 3, AOPS Geometry, Apologia Physics

8th grade: TOG Year 3, Rosetta Stone Spanish 1, Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1, Apologia Physical Science

7th grade: TOG Year 3. Rosetta Stone Spanish 1, math is still undecided, Apologia Physical Science

2nd grade: TOG Year 3, Phonics Road 3; Rosetta Stone Spanish 1, Horizons Math 3 and or Math Mammoth, CKE Earth Science

I haven't decided on anything else at this point. Some of the above I've already purchase or already own....some I am still waiting to buy.