Menu

If money wasnt an issue, what would you eat?

NicAnn

Free range, pastured, organic, grass-fed beef from a local farmer. The good cuts, especially steaks for my husband. Pastured organic chicken. Wild caught fish. Lots of shellfish. Steamed crabs often in the summer!

Organic local vegetables. Fruit with every meal -- preferably organic, preferably local when possible.

Grass-fed raw local milk and eggs, lots and lots of local raw artisan cheese.

Oh, and good mushrooms, olives, and artichoke hearts multiple times a week.

And paneer. Or any Indian food, really.

And really good fancy pizza at least once a week. (While we're making money issues disappear, why not carb issues too?)

Potato chips. Bacon. Mashed potatoes for every meal. Crackers. Cheese. Milk shakes. Serious poundage of chocolate. Ice Cream. Mountains of ice cream.

Then I would use the money for plastic surgery and doctors to keep me pretty and healthy.

I tried to triple like this, but alas, it only lets us like something once!

Steak.

Steak and eggs

A small steak with grilled veggies drizzled with olive oil

A steak for dinner with loaded broccoli

This has been my most favorite thing about raising beef cattle. Steak whenever we want it. Not just average steak, the best steak. I've only had one restaurant steak that was better than our black angus, and it was at KPaul's in New Orleans.

I enjoy the cooking, but I wish I could cook more seafood and fresh foods.

No more beans, unless I felt like it,

Basically what I get now, but better quality (pastured/wild meat, high quality/organic produce). Fish several times a week. Whatever random thing catches my whim, even if I'm not sure I'll like it (getting DH to order chia seeds is like pulling teeth!).

Having a good store of food on hand at all times, with diverse selection (right now we tend to have a half cow in the freezer, or a pig, but not both).

I have hesitations about going localvore, as I don't trust that eating and drinking entirely from local sources is optimal healthwise in my area.

If all you want to do is try it to see how it is, it isn't all that expensive.

I was pricing a 1/4 grass-fed cow with ground beef at $5/lb. Can I buy this at the local grocery? I assumed that I would need to purchase it from a local butcher shop, and that it would need to be a substantial portion.

I was pricing a 1/4 grass-fed cow with ground beef at $5/lb. Can I buy this at the local grocery? I assumed that I would need to purchase it from a local butcher shop, and that it would need to be a substantial portion.

You probably can't buy it at the local grocery (man, lucky you if you can!), and even a local butcher shop may or may not have grass-fed beef, unfortunately. Your best bet is to contact the farm directly. Eatwild is a great site for finding someone in your area. Of the couple of places where we get grass-fed beef, they sell it either by the 1/4 (or half) or by individual cuts/pounds. (Some places might give you a discount for buying like 5 pounds at a time.) If you have a local health food store (or possibly the health food aisle of your local grocery store), they may have grass-fed beef; it will probably be cheapest directly from the farm, though.

Fancy cuts of grass-fed steaks. The kind Whole Foods would never sell for $4.99/lb.

Goose.

Foie Gras.

Exotic meat, like reindeer and kangaroo.

Some good sushi.

Tuborg brown lager (yes, you eat it).

Key lime pie.

Fresh green olives. The real ones.

But I don't want any of that right now. I'm pregnant. Pass me the potato chips and cheap creamy onion dip please... :cursing:

More seafood- it is so expensive that we only eat it mainly once a week and I would like to eat it more frequently. MOre expensive cuts of meat that I seldomly buy- crown roast, beef tenderloin, that sort of thing. Buy whatever fruits and vegetables I wanted without regards to price. Buy better butter, olive oil, spices, etc. More expensive bread. Delicious tortes. Plus a chef to cook my meals for me when I was too tired or just didn't want to do it. But always cook or prepare my breakfast since I have a hard time doing it.Plus more restaurant visits.

If you didn't have a food budget, what would you eat each day?

I have dreams of being on an all organic, mostly raw diet. And the best fruit I could buy.

You just hit the nail on the head for me. Add in some meat and fish that do not have chemicals, hormones, etc.

My local safeway has 100% grassfed ground beef for $8.99 a lb, which is super expensive, but not a 1/4 cow. If they had ground beef, they probably have non-ground too, but I didn't look that closely since we can get good quality meat for cheaper elsewhere.

I know Whole Foods and the like sell it in smaller quantities. You can also ask at a local butcher/farm - they may have it available by the pound, too. And if you know someone local who buys large portions of cows, they'd probably be willing to see you a bit of it to try out.

If you live in/near a large urban area, you can probably find a restaurant that serves it.

My local safeway has 100% grassfed ground beef for $8.99 a lb, which is super expensive, but not a 1/4 cow. If they had ground beef, they probably have non-ground too, but I didn't look that closely since we can get good quality meat for cheaper elsewhere.

I know Whole Foods and the like sell it in smaller quantities. You can also ask at a local butcher/farm - they may have it available by the pound, too. And if you know someone local who buys large portions of cows, they'd probably be willing to see you a bit of it to try out.

If you live in/near a large urban area, you can probably find a restaurant that serves it.

Thank you, I will need to look for this at other grocery stores in my city. We don't have a Whole Foods, but there are large groceries that I can investigate.

I would eat the same foods I eat now but I'd buy my food from wherever the Food Network gets the stuff they use on shows! I've never seen a host cut open an avocado and find it's brown inside. Never saw a brown spot on an apple, potatoes with a bad spot in the middle, boneless chicken breasts with any 'stuff' that needs to be removed. Everything is beautiful. Shopped at a fruit/veg store in NYC once and everything was perfect....and EXPENSIVE.

1. local, pastured poultry, meat, eggs and dairy (cow share for raw milk)

2. local, organic veggies and fruit

3. fill in the gaps at Whole Foods

very good wine, tea, chocolate

I'd need a complete kitchen makeover to go with my lovely food, of course! ;)

The chef would be good too! Though a clean-up person would be more practical perhaps!

Fresh, organic produce. Grass fed meats more often. Wild caught sustainable fresh fish. Larger portions of food without worrying if it will mean no lunch the next day...

This, plus a personal chef to prepare it for me. :)

Local grass fed beef, local freerange chickens and eggs, local non-preserved bacon, local fresh dairy (it's all available but expensive!).

Fresh organic produce.

Bread from the local artisan bakery---they have a farmer 50 miles away grow their wheat and have it specially milled so that it's unbromated and unbleached. It's got an awesome texture.

More nuts: cashews, macademia, almonds, etc.

Dark chocolate....the 70% stuff that pays an ethical wage to the farmers.

I'd want a chef to either prepare meals or a nutritionist to figure out a broader menu of what to eat with our food allergies.

More nuts: cashews, macademia, almonds, etc.

Pine nuts!

I've been thinking a bit more about this thread...

- I'd upscale my pantry, and regularly keep premium oils and vinegars in the house instead of buying as needed. I'd never do the trick to "make" premium balsamic vinegar again.

- I'd keep more pricier food on hand for snacking, such as nuts, rather than buying just what is needed for recipes and lunches

Barring the personal chef option, I would go for the convenience foods at Whole Foods and Costco. We shop at both places currently, but not for the really fun stuff. Just for the essentials. We buy lots of bulk ingredients at Costco, but cook everything from scratch. We only get produce and almond milk from Whole Foods. I skip all the fun middle aisles.

Pretty much as we do now but I would eat a lot more crab and I'd cook crispy duck several more times a year. I would buy 1-2 lambs a year instead of 1/2-1 like we do now. I would not increase our beef order though. I would buy more types of fish than I do now. We eat a lot of fish already but I stick to the lowest price off the boat Alaskan salmon and trout I can get. It would be nice to get King salmon or fresh tuna without feeling like I need a special occasion. And I would stop rationing nuts and subbing in sunflower seeds for nuts.

We are fortunate to have the resources for a nice diet as it is and we don't go hungry or needing to carefully portion most things out so I feel grateful for that.

we already spend a ton on food - lots of food allergies and sensitivities - i started noticing i had an easier time digesting meat from whole foods, and dh said it tasted better. we have broken down 20 year old used furniture and buy clothes at walmart and target and khols .. . but we shop for food mostly at whole foods!

still, with a bigger budget, we'd have lamb a lot more often! we all have trouble with beef, and we fight over lamb - which is even more expensive. i'd buy more of our meat from the local markets, which are even more expensive than whole foods :closedeyes:

but i really wish we could buy a cure too our food sensitivities