Menu

Why do people drink out of Ball jars?

ILiveInFlipFlops

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke my other glassware (shelf collapse) and already had a bunch of jars sitting around taking up space. The kids like making "shake milk" (chocolate milk) in them, and they're easier for DH to take drinks or smoothies to work in. Plus, no more fighting over colored or designed plastic cups. They all look the same. I use different color straws or rubber bands to tell the kids' cups apart.

They are inexpensive, durable, and multi-functional.

When we needed to replace our glasses last year (most had been broken), we decided to replace them with mason jars of various sizes. We also bought lids for each size and tossed the majority of our storage containers. Now, if someone doesn't finish their drink, I pop a lid on it and stick it in the fridge. If we want to being a drink with us, we put a lid on it and bring it along. We store leftovers from meals in them, and we can reheat the leftovers in the jars (replacing the lids with plastic wrap) and I can easily bring leftovers with me to work. What used to take several shelves/ cabinets to store can now be stored on 1 1/2 shelves. We also haven't broken any yet despite their being dropped and bumped frequently during washing and use. I plan to use some instructions I found on Pinterest to alter some of the lids so I can put re-usable straws in them so we can use them as travel cups.

I've always wondered this, too.

Why not drink out of them?

There is nothing wrong with them, but they are jars. The part your mouth is on is threaded, and often thicker than a regular glass.

I figure most people who drink out of them probably grew up on a farm. Maybe it is a throw back to a time when things like drinking glasses were expensive, and since many households made jams and jellies, they would have mason jars around and it would be cheaper for those just to double as cups also.

Nowadays I think people who drink out of them are either rural, or grew up rural, or just like the vintage look of them, or just like the sturdiness of them for kiddos as PP mentioned.

They are cheap and nearly indestructible. My kids break every other type of glass we've ever bought, so I took a hint from my mom and started using the canning jars as drinking glasses. I've had 1 break in 2 years.

We had our first break the other night, but the jar did hit three hard surfaces on the way down.

We do have some fancy glassware for guests who don't want to use jars. They have Han, Luke, Leia, and Vader on them.

We drink out of the 8 oz jelly jars and the 32 oz wide mouth jars. We started drinking out of them because I'm clumsy, and I kept breaking all of our glasses. :-P I didn't want to buy a new set when I still had half of my old set, so we gradually added a canning jar here or there. I'm now down to three "real" glasses, and at this point I can see no real reason to buy a new set. The canning jars are much sturdier, and they're darn convenient. If I'm headed out, I just throw a lid on my jar of water. The 8 oz size is great for toddler hands, and I like the 32oz size because it makes it easy to see how much water I've had that day.

FWIW, I grew up with parents who were scientists, and we used lab glassware for a lot of kitchen use-it's already marked for measurement, is safe to use over heat, difficult to break, can be used in the microwave, etc. I expect it's the same practicality. It still makes more sense, from my POV, to have beakers and graduated cylinders with multiple measuring scales and steps than to have multiple measuring cups/spoons.

Guest inoubliable

I used to wonder this, too. Most of the people that I know who use them are doing it because "Pinterest made it cool". I know only one family who uses them for drinking simply because they're around for canning purposes anyway.

Because they are made out of tempered glass.

For the money, they are the best savings for glasses that are tempered, which are safer.

I used to have Duralex Picardie tumblers, which are tempered French glassware, the classic style. They were a lot of $. I still have some.

When they shatter, they don't shard. They can go from cold to hot, they are multi purpose.

I have GOBS of them. :D My nana's, my mom's, my aunt's. I have a cellar full of them.

Because they are made out of tempered glass.

For the money, they are the best savings for glasses that are tempered, which are safer.

I used to have Duralex Picardie tumblers, which are tempered French glassware, the classic style. They were a lot of $. I still have some.

When they shatter, they don't shard. They can go from cold to hot, they are multi purpose.

I have GOBS of them. :D My nana's, my mom's, my aunt's. I have a cellar full of them.

Huh, I had no idea you could bake in them.

I've always found them to be quaint drinking glasses - I wasn't raised on a farm either. Right now we have color coded plastic cups, but I'd rather have the glass jars.

I do. They are cheaper than even the cheap glasses as Walmart. I have yet to break one. (Although now that I said that, I probably will today.) The less sturdy glasses were constantly getting broken. I was sick of replacing them.

And.... I have a vintage country kitchen and am a retro girl myself. So, Mason jars fit right in. :)

I do a lot of canning so I have hundreds in different sizes. However, it did not occur to use them until we had a large summer BBQ party several years ago. I did not want to use any disposable products and was able to borrow enough plates and silverware....but what to do about glasses? Then I spied the box of canning jars on the floor..... We have been hooked ever since for all of the other reasons already stated.

We drank out of jars when we couldn't afford new glasses since we kept breaking ours. We didn't use mason jars, just leftover jars from jam, peanut butter, etc.. I had no idea this was cool or trendy?

One thing to be careful with is that the notches at the top of the jar chip easily and a jar with even the slightest chip should be discarded as you could be swallowing glass chips invisible to the naked eye.

I'm a city girl and was raised a city girl, but my mom was a farm girl and she always saved jam jars to replenish our drinking cup stash. She would sometimes pick out jam from the grocery store solely based upon how pretty the jar was. My mom even poked holes in the lid for straws when we were travelling, which I see is now all the rage on Pinterest! I can and preserve a lot, so we have tons of mason jars. I did pick up some with handles at the thrift shop just because I thought they were cute, though.

I guess they are like Mt Everest. We drink of them because they are there.

My son had a tennis coach who used to drink out of an empty tennis ball can. He just rinsed them out and used them to mix up instant iced tea or gatorade in. I guess they help more than regular glasses, and it was thriftier than buying special drinking bottles. SOme people really like to use what they already have and what might otherwise go unused.

We used them for the differentiation. I wanted to use colored rubber bands on the glasses to identify them, but my glasses' sides are slanted. Rubber bands roll down to the bottom. Jelly jars' sides are straight and so the bands stay up. I finally found colored glasses a few months ago so we switched to those... tired of rubber bands everywhere.

I agree that it got kind of trendy (even before Pinterest... probably Martha Stewart or Real Simple or something). But now when I see them in cutesy party pictures, I think it looks unoriginal.

I don't use canning jars but do have jars from the French jam we buy sometimes. They make very nice glasses and since I have arthritis, it is me who needs to replace glasses and other things a lot. (My ancient hands with RA don't always hold things very well- hence we also have almost only Corelle plates which I hate when they break but I hardly ever break them since they are light).

They are cheap....or free if you buy something in them....if they break, I couldn't care less.....and I like to make sure I get my water in....so I measure out 2 quarts in the morning and drink from it all day. I reuse the glass ball jars for leftovers ...and the nicest thing is my blender blade fits right on one and I can mix my smoothies in one....less mess!

We use them all the time, for canning, leftovers, food storage (choc. chips, rice, pasta etc) other storage (buttons, school supplies, pieces to the nebulizer etc) and drinking glasses.

We use the real canning jars and the ones with the handles (picked up at a yard sale). Dh loves the quart jars, I like the pint jars, 1 kiddo likes the tall jelly jar canning jar.

Everytime I see one of the quart ones with handles I think of my daddy. He always drank out of one like that, unless it was dirty then it was a regular jar.

Um, because they are awesome? I had no idea it was becoming trendy. I've always had Ball or Mason jars around (I can and use them to store dry stuff), and they're just so...functional. I've always used them for beverages, too. They're glass. They're easy to clean. AND they have a LID. How awesome is that? It's the perfect cocktail vessel--mix then drink from the same glass, baby. ;) They're great for camping (no bugs in my wine!).

I dunno. I guess I just like to drink from my jars.

I had no idea about drinking out of jars. I thought that was a moonshine thing :D

It's a brilliant idea though...I'm going to give it a shot with the kids, they're outgrowing the little IKEA toddler cups and may be ready to try glass (eek!). I like the idea of putting a lid on top if a drink doesn't get finished, or using for storing leftovers.

Thank you, Hive!

They are cheap and nearly indestructible. My kids break every other type of glass we've ever had

Yup. Started when we ran out of glasses and had been going through our canned goods so had an ample amount of jars hanging about and no $ to buy new glass ware.

They sure are sturdy too ;)

They [ball / Mason] are of glass sturdier than that used for most drinking glasses. The design imparts a casual atmosphere suitable for everyday. Libbey Glass does make some durable glasses, which I rank in second place. I wouldn't use the jar-style glasses for a formal dinner. Unfortunately, I come of urban-dwelling stock, so I can't claim The Farm as my background.

Wow, I had no idea it was this common!

There is nothing wrong with them, but they are jars. The part your mouth is on is threaded, and often thicker than a regular glass.

This is the part that kind of weirds me out too, but I'll admit I have a few sensory issues that probably contribute to my feeling that way. I do love the idea of being able to carry a lidded jar around, and the water from our metal bottles always tastes a little funny to me. I'll have to see if I can get over my irrational squeamishness and give it a try.

Thanks everyone!

We can and ferment so they are always lying around. They are sturdy. The 8 oz size is a good size and capacity for kids but more attractive than plastic cups everywhere.

If you make a Manhattan in one, you can use the markings on the side to measure the liquor instead of finding a jigger.

Not that I swig Manhattans out of Ball jars or anything . . .

I've always wondered this too! I never used them growing up, and now when I do they feel really thick and odd to drink out of. I never understood why so many people like them. The ridges make me feel like I'm going to drool!

The durability is nice though.

FYI, I'm not a picky person normally, we are still using plastic cups from when DD was small...

I had no idea it was popular or "cool on pintrest." We had a few in our cupboard when I was growing up because my dad likes them, both for their large size and because it just feels fun/country/connected-with-our-family-farming-roots to drink a big jar of milk or iced tea with a hearty meal. Both my parents grew up drinking out of jelly jars--my dad's mom still has some from the 50s/60s. My mom is annoyed by his jars because they take up space in the cupboard, don't match her set, and she thinks it is a bit silly. I bought him this "redneck wine glass" for Christmas as a joke "compromise" for them.

I grew up on a farm. My parents were always canning, but we never used them for drinking glasses while I was growing up. I find that they are great for iced tea and are very sturdy. I always think of summer on the farm when drinking sweet tea from a jar. I just like it. LOL

We've had so many sets of glasses over the years - but we've never had a Mason jar break on us. We acquire them here and there when someone gives us a jar of jam, etc., they land in the cupboard and they have accumulated because they don't break. Everything else does.

I love them - especially the mini ones. They make great glasses for mixed drinks or when you just want a small glass of soda and not a huge one.