Menu

Why do people drink out of Ball jars?

ILiveInFlipFlops

Just out of curiosity, what does a person opposed to plastic use for straws? I think the metals ones would make the roots of my teeth ache. Do paper ones hold up if you leave it in ice water for a period of time?

I have successfully drilled a hole in a metal lid. Wish I could find a file now.

I don't usually use straws. I would love to find paper ones that weren't ridiculously expensive.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're on the shelf. Nothing like drinking expensive wine out of a jelly jar to mix things up.

Oh, so THAT'S what we've been doing wrong!!! We drink cheap wine from expensive wine glasses. I'd rather do it your way! :cheers2: <--- but without the foam. :laugh:

Just out of curiosity, what does a person opposed to plastic use for straws? I think the metals ones would make the roots of my teeth ache. Do paper ones hold up if you leave it in ice water for a period of time?

I have successfully drilled a hole in a metal lid. Wish I could find a file now.

Why do you think a metal straw would make your teeth ache?

We got these years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Stainless-Steel-Drink-Staws/dp/B000AUIN18/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359055421&sr=8-1&keywords=metal+straw

and they don't make my teeth hurt. They are pretty much like any other straw, but you can use them in hot drinks as well as cold. Some people like them to use with hot tea and coffee because they have sensitive teeth.

Do you bite or chew on your straw? Because I bet it would hurt your teeth if you bit a metal straw, but if you just use them for drinking they shouldn't hurt a thing. My kids use them all the time with no complaint.

This thread has totally turned around my thinking on drinking out of jars! I love the Ecojarz lids, and I finally decided to go ahead and buy metal or glass straws the other day when a friend explained that I could use pipe cleaners to wash them out instead of just trying unsuccessfully to rinse out any residue. (I am not so good at thinking outside the box :blushing: .) I think I may have to spend a little money later today!

I don't really like drinking from mason jars. They are too thick. I do use mason jars for just about everything else.

When I was growing up we had an assortment of jelly jars for drinking. My mom saved money on glasses and they hardly ever broke.

I use supermarket glass salsa jars to store all leftovers. They have straight sides, are nice and big and have metal lids that close well. I can see through them so I know what is inside of them. They wash in the dishwasher easily. The only thing I can't do is put them in the chest freezer. I wish I could!

Why do you think a metal straw would make your teeth ache?

We got these years ago:

http://www.amazon.co...rds=metal straw

and they don't make my teeth hurt. They are pretty much like any other straw, but you can use them in hot drinks as well as cold. Some people like them to use with hot tea and coffee because they have sensitive teeth.

Do you bite or chew on your straw? Because I bet it would hurt your teeth if you bit a metal straw, but if you just use them for drinking they shouldn't hurt a thing. My kids use them all the time with no complaint.

I was just theorizing since I have sensitive teeth with a fair amount of fillings. However, if you've not found that to be true, I may have to give them a try. They would certainly survive my home-drilled lid better than anything else (although it turned out pretty well really!)

I was looking at those straws earlier. They sure are neat looking. What do you clean them with? Pipe cleaners or some kind of skinny brush?

Why not drink out of them? That isn't much of an answer, but I'm not sure what there is to explain or understand.

This was exactly my first reaction to this question. I've never actually even owned any, but a friend of mine from college only had these to drink out of while we were in college. She didn't have any actual glasses. I thought it was fun to drink out of them whenever I went to her house.

The fact this thread made it three pages is amazing. But I'm also amazed at everyone saying how often their glasses break. Our glasses are at least 12 years old. Only one has broken, and it was cracked in a move I believe. Even as kids I don't remember broken glasses. And they have always been standard big box store type glasses, nothing fancy. I'm just really surprised. Having one broken I get, but people saying they've broken so many they need new ones I just can't imagine that without a wild party invovled.

I grew up (not in the country, but in the 70s) drinking out of those little jars the shrimp cocktail and odd cheeses came in.

Yep and my grandmother used them as her juice glass every morning. She always had a small glass of juice & a cup of coffee with her breakfast. I think my mom still does the same thing

I'm considering them because we're shifting away from the last of our plasticware (even though I love my gigantic plastic cups!), but I'm low on mugs, and I generally prefer glass anyway. Now if only I could find fun divided plates to replace my melamine...

Corelle makes a divided plate. Have you seen these stainless steel divided plates? Several different styles of them.

The fact this thread made it three pages is amazing. But I'm also amazed at everyone saying how often their glasses break. Our glasses are at least 12 years old. Only one has broken, and it was cracked in a move I believe. Even as kids I don't remember broken glasses. And they have always been standard big box store type glasses, nothing fancy. I'm just really surprised. Having one broken I get, but people saying they've broken so many they need new ones I just can't imagine that without a wild party invovled.

I was thinking the same thing, actually. I can think of maybe three instances of broken glasses here in the last 5-6 years, and I'm pretty sure I broke all three. That's kind of amazing, considering how wiggly my 7-year-old is! Even so, though, I'm nervous when the kids drinks out of the glasses, because they were purchased when we were kid-free, and the bottoms are heavy but the sides are so thin. I'm always worried they'll break because when they do, they pretty much explode into smithereens. I'd love to not have to worry about it. And I still love the lid factor.

Corelle makes a divided plate. Have you seen these stainless steel divided plates? Several different styles of them.

I'm about to buy the Corelle plates, actually, but I really wish I could find some fun colors or something. There are so many cute melamine plates out there, but I really don't want the plastic anymore if I can help it. I think I actually care more about the cuteness factor than the kids do! (And the idea of eating off metal makes my teeth grind for some reason! I don't know why, it just does--the silverware clinking on the dish for some reason, maybe? I don't know, it's an irrational sensory thing. It just weirds me out!)

I'm about to buy the Corelle plates, actually, but I really wish I could find some fun colors or something. There are so many cute melamine plates out there, but I really don't want the plastic anymore if I can help it. I think I actually care more about the cuteness factor than the kids do! (And the idea of eating off metal makes my teeth grind for some reason! I don't know why, it just does--the silverware clinking on the dish for some reason, maybe? I don't know, it's an irrational sensory thing. It just weirds me out!)

I don't think I would care for the metal either. I showed them to ds and he said "what are we in prison" :lol: