Menu

Why do people drink out of Ball jars?

ILiveInFlipFlops

Thank you! I've been looking for cheap, sturdy glass tumblers for our monthly Game Day. We're making a shift to non-disposable items. Found cheap plates, but glasses have been a stumper.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! I've been looking for cheap, sturdy glass tumblers for our monthly Game Day. We're making a shift to non-disposable items. Found cheap plates, but glasses have been a stumper.

I'm considering them because we're shifting away from the last of our plasticware (even though I love my gigantic plastic cups!), but I'm low on mugs, and I generally prefer glass anyway. Now if only I could find fun divided plates to replace my melamine...

FWIW, I grew up with parents who were scientists, and we used lab glassware for a lot of kitchen use-it's already marked for measurement, is safe to use over heat, difficult to break, can be used in the microwave, etc. I expect it's the same practicality. It still makes more sense, from my POV, to have beakers and graduated cylinders with multiple measuring scales and steps than to have multiple measuring cups/spoons.

This reminds of A Wrinkle in Time when the mom cooks dinner over the bunsen burner.

We used to fight over the cut glass jelly jars at grandma's house when we were kids. Tomato juice is much fancier when drunk from a fancy jar. :)

We don't like to drink out of plastic and regular glass glasses break easily, often shattering into a thousand pieces. A wide mouth canning jar (I'm not picky about brand) gives the benefit of drinking from glass and are much harder to break. When they do break it's usually a few chunks vs the tiny shards from regular glass. We specifically bought the smaller juice glass size ones for the little kids I care for. They feel grown up and i don't worry about injury.

I had no idea about drinking out of jars. I thought that was a moonshine thing :D It's a brilliant idea though...I'm going to give it a shot with the kids, they're outgrowing the little IKEA toddler cups and may be ready to try glass (eek!). I like the idea of putting a lid on top if a drink doesn't get finished, or using for storing leftovers. Thank you, Hive!

I drink beverages out of widemouth jars all the time. We always have plenty of jars around, and they hold a decent amount. I never thought anything of it until my mother was visiting from Georgia. She thought my glass of water was moonshine. Ooops!

We drink out of them because it reminds me of my place my DH and I use to go to before kids when we lived in Florida. Forgot the name but you drinked out of the mason jars and you threw your peanut shells on the ground. I also use them because it's different from everyone else here and it goes with my country kitchen look. I use mason jars for lots of stuff, there are so many things you can use them for. I will also agree with others on the breaking. While we still do our far share of glass breakings the jars seem to last longer than the regular glasses.

I grew up a city girl but my grandparents and cousins and other extended family all were very country people. They canned and we had mason jars but nobody ever drank out of them. Not even my most backwoods family drank out of them. They were for canning and when we were done with our jars we used them to can again. Personally, I dislike them for drinking. I must be a special delicate flower snowflake but they are bulky in my hands and uncomfortable on my mouth. I would think they would be difficult for small children to grip without using two hands because it is hard for me to drink out of them without using 2 hands. I have seen them on pinterest and I was confused. We have tempered glass cups for drinking and they were not expensive. I'm sure mason jars would be cheaper but I got a ton of new tempered glassware for cheap last fall.

They [ball / Mason] are of glass sturdier than that used for most drinking glasses. The design imparts a casual atmosphere suitable for everyday. Libbey Glass does make some durable glasses, which I rank in second place. I wouldn't use the jar-style glasses for a formal dinner. Unfortunately, I come of urban-dwelling stock, so I can't claim The Farm as my background.

We have Libbey drinking glasses and I like them. They are much thicker and have some weight to them. We use the mason jars when they are free, but when canning season comes there are times none are free.

I like the way lemonade, sweet tea, and beer look in a mason jar.

This. I find it very uncomfortable and never understood why people actually like it.

The top thread barely touches my lower lip, and I don't even notice it. I usually drink from the part above the threads, though I don't look before drinking. I also have Coke mugs that use a thicker, heavier glass, so that isn't an issue for me either.

On a side note, I've found a lot of good ideas and hacks on Pinterest. An idea may be very popular on Pinterest, but if I try something and keep using it, it's because I like it or find it useful--not because it's cool according to Pinterest users (or Hive members, as the case may be). Pinterest may inspire a purchase, but its popularity there isn't the reason I continue using it. Unless someone told me she only used jars as glasses because they're trendy, I would assume her reason for doing so is that she likes them.

We often drank out of recycled jars when I was a child. When you are extraordinarily poor income wise, the general premise is use what you can and don't spend what you don't have to.

Despite my considerably improved economic situation, I still do have a few old jars on hand for drinking water. Why? Nostalgia for my childhood I reckon. My affluently raised husband thought I was nutters but I see him doing it now too. We do have regular glasses but none as big as the jars and I drink a lot of water. I also use recycled jars for free glass food storage containers. Again, why pay $6-7 for a glass container to safely store leftover soup when I have free glass jars and matching lid from jarred fruits, peanut butter and spaghetti sauce? I have the Pyrex containers with the lids but those tend to go missing from the dish drainer at work and such. No one mistakenly thinks my old peanut butter jar is theirs.

We have a whole bunch with the handles. They originally held jelly/jam. My ds liked that particular brand so we bought quite a few over the years. When we were done with the jam, we just washed the glass out and reused it. They are super sturdy. I don't think a single one has ever broken, while pretty much all our other glassware has. I think I'm down to 3 regular glasses out of the 16 or so I had originally. I do like the Mexican glassware, though. It's pretty and holds up better than most regular glasses.

I don't understand the snobbery about glasses. Lol

But maybe that's because I am poor hillbilly stock and that's what I was raised with (mason jars, at least). Not on farms, though much of my family was rural on and off. we were Inner city for quite awhile, actually. But now we mostly use them because yours truly is ridiculously clumsy and they're the only thing I haven't broken. I don't like plastic, so we avoid it. The kids love the jars and they're handy for smoothies in the blender. If someone is offended by using my jars if they come to my house, then I suppose we might not be very good friends. ;)

Because I've got a bajillion of them lying around the house. I can (or did before I had two kids) and everyone I know gave me all the old ball jars their grandma had in the basement. I've got so many of them, that it seems silly not to use them. I don't like drinking out of plastic because of BPAs and god only knows what else.

With a 'cuppow' lid I can use them as travel mugs. A wide mouth jar fits perfectly in the cup holder of my car. With the Cuppow it's like it was meant to be. If I forget my coffee in the car and it gets icky I can run it through the dishwasher and it is clean. I've never trusted other travel mugs to be really clean. And I like to drink either coffee or tea. Coffee always sort of impregnated plastic travel mugs and made the tea taste 'off'. Yet another reason not to drink out of plastic!

And LOLOLOLOL at the 'rural and grew up on a farm' connection. These days it is SO hipster to drink out of a ball jar that I am almost thinking I should stop. Almost. I find them so practical and useful that I won't. I figure as long as I am not drinking kombucha from my jar I can't be too cool.

Except I really want to try making kombucha.....

Because it is impossible to find glasses that don't chip and break just from being in the dishwasher or lightly touching each other. Do you know how many different kinds of glasses we have been through the past few years. Mason/Ball jars are sturdy and don't chip and break easily.

I do cause I love glass and they are thick and keep water cold and hold a lot. I have the screw on plastic lids for mine which I also love. I keep 4 of them full of water in the frige so I get my 100 ozs of water in a day and its ice cold and ready.

Where do you get plastic lids?

I think my opinion has been covered but I have to share a funny.

I was at Walmart and saw plastic cups that look like mason jars with screw on kids and straws. I had to chuckle cuz the whole point for me is a avoiding plastic :)

Oh one more reason not mentioned. I put citrus essential oils in my water and you are supposed to put them in plastic as the oils break it down. I use jars but actually wish I could find a cup with a lid and straw that wasn't plastic.

We'd broken a bunch of glasses at the same time we were emptying out mason jars so it happened naturally here. In time I replaced the regular glasses but still keep a number of the mason jars out. The 8 oz jelly jars are perfect for a quick drink of water and I like the pint size for iced tea.

I store pantry goods in them, as well as can, so we always have them around. And the lids make them portable if we're on the move. Bonus: quart jars fit perfectly in my front seat cup holder. Nothing better than tackling errands with a quart of iced coffee when it's hot out. ;)

I grew up (not in the country, but in the 70s) drinking out of those little jars the shrimp cocktail and odd cheeses came in.

Momtoone: there are lots of tutorials out there for adding straw holes, etc, to the regular lids, and many of them have links to where you can buy glass/stainless/acrylic straws. (I found acrylic ones on clearance at Crate & Barrel last year for around $4 for 8) Finding gaskets seems a bit irritating. I think sheet metal gaskets would work (the lids being sheet metal and all) but I can't really find any to look at. I just bought a pack of Scunci jelly hair bands that I think will work fine with a bit of exacto knife action.

well i know longer drink out of them but to give you some southern history - poor poor poor folks like my family - you couldn't affort drinking classes - my husbands mom and my mom washed out the mayonaisse jars and the small jelly jars (thats what food was packaged and bought in back them) and they became our drinking glasses. I remember when the church gifted my parents with dishes and glasses late 70's they were some type of colored orangish/brown. My mom still uses them LOL Oh and when i was kids they were our special christmas dinner glasses. We htought we were so fancy for living in a trailer with holes in the floor not so much but those dishes and glasses were so nice to use back then

so for me yeah they are sign of my poverty but to be honest the glass is much thicker and better made then drinking glasses made now so I can see why people still use them. I seriosly doubt the bought glasses of today will still be around like those my mom and mother in law still own for the 70's. We mass produce some cheap crap now.

Ok I want to know HOW they did that.

Looks like a big grommet.

Also, the re-usable plastic lids are cheap and available at Walmart. Drill a hole in them and you're done. Even on amazon they are $4 or so for 8:

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Wide-Mouth-Plastic-Storage-8-Count/dp/B000SSN3L2/ref=pd_sim_k_7

And it's not like the beverage has to touch the plastic part much at all.

I can't believe some of these products... $8- $12+ each? For one? In some listings, it appears even to be just a lid. :confused1:

Looks like a big grommet.

Also, the re-usable plastic lids are cheap and available at Walmart. Drill a hole in them and you're done. Even on amazon they are $4 or so for 8:

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Wide-Mouth-Plastic-Storage-8-Count/dp/B000SSN3L2/ref=pd_sim_k_7

And it's not like the beverage has to touch the plastic part much at all.

I can't believe some of these products... $8- $12+ each? For one? In some listings, it appears even to be just a lid. :confused1:

I will not use a plastic lid. I will check out grommets

Just out of curiosity, what does a person opposed to plastic use for straws? I think the metals ones would make the roots of my teeth ache. Do paper ones hold up if you leave it in ice water for a period of time?

I have successfully drilled a hole in a metal lid. Wish I could find a file now.