Menu

2nd Hand Treasures - you okay with them or not?

One man's junk is another man's treasure. But I agree about the bedbug thing. I'm thinking about things like jewelry, dishes, or home decor items (think statues or pottery) that can be easily cleaned up. Furniture.....I think it would have to come from an approved source (family, close friend), kwim? I have no problem with thrift store clothing, as long as it can go straight from my doorstep into the washer/dryer.

If anyone in my family couldn't hack 2nd hand stuff they would be running around naked! :lol:

Ditto. Well, for the kids anyway. It's harder for grown up fits. But the Value Village is seriously our source for stuff.

People who turn their noses up at used bother me. I'm a bit of a snob that way.

Well what about stuff that is you...not bed-buggish/wormy friendly?

I'm all Joe Can't Eat At The Restaurants around here now (after seeing the issues with bugs..if it isn't from MY kitchen I'm not eating it) - but some things loan themselves to being okay 2nd hand...

Books, tables, glassware - that sort of thing.

I don't honestly know if I could buy 2nd hand "anything infestable" here - and I know how to look for flood/mold damage....

Somethings are fairly safe to drag home, some not....

I personally get a kick out of refurbishing cast off things, I think I'm pretty talented at it if I say so myself :D

I just haven't been able to fool with it in so long, miss it, and then discovered a parting of ways with a treasure I wanted (dumpster) - and had to leave it behind.

Now..I'm gonna have to sneak in the few things I do acquire it looks like..jeez, give me a break!

We have mostly used things here too! Especially furniture: living room set (almost new set from MIL), two recliners (flea market - before bed bug scare), small kids couch (neighbor), car bed and mattress (friend), crib mattress (friend of my moms), lots of clothes, toys, etc!

Almost everything I own is 2nd hand. I don't always like it. I would prefer to own a brand new mattress, not one that someone else was going to throw away for example, but have learned over the years to be greatful for every item we have purchased 2nd hand or that have been given to us, because without them we would have nothing.

Except for a mattress and upholstered furniture, I like 2nd hand. Then again we love antique furniture and most of what we own was bought used.

Us, too.

And I love thrift shop clothing. And vintage kitchen wares. Heck, even our DOG is second hand, in that she lived with a foster family before us.

People who turn their noses up at used bother me. I'm a bit of a snob that way.

Me, too. I think it has to do with those same people (in my world, probably not universally) creating a lot of waste.

If anyone in my family couldn't hack 2nd hand stuff they would be running around naked! :lol:

:iagree: That's us too! I found alot of clearance at local department stores cheaper than some of the thrift store prices. BUT ALOT of what we get is 2nd hand!

Yup! Love me a good thrift store!

:iagree:I found a wonderful little nook shop that has been it's this location for over 15 years and I never knew of it. The prices are way cheaper than Goodwill and the selection is WAY less but the quality is much higher!!

:iagree:

Goodwill and the local thrift store are the "shopping mall" for us. And on discount sale day, well, that's when we really get excited! :D

:iagree:My kids tell people that the best places to shop is Goodwill or eBay. My oldest tells people that eBay is a yardsale online and you can get some good deals. LOL! All my kids love that they can really find some wonderfully priced items at the thrift shops and most of the time if they are well behaved and money is right mom will say YES! Whereas most Walmart toy trips are just for BROWSING and NOT for buying! We can't say the same for thrift shops! My rule to the kids is...best behavior because once you see something you like get it because it might not be there the next time. So have a good attitude.

I've purchased my curtains, lamps, wall decor, night stands, coats, yard and garden items, holiday decor, books, home decor items, toys, board games, and crafting items.

I donate ALOT to Goodwill, but recently have decided to donate to the local thrift shop that I just recently discovered because they actually help local families that are in need with the money they earn from selling items in the store!:001_smile:

We have lots of 2nd hand stuff. It's the same to me as long as it's decent quality. The only reason I buy new stuff is because it takes less time. A lot of my clothes, furniture, etc. are hand-me-downs. As a kid we got almost everything second-hand (or third-hand etc.).

When you think about it, after you've used it once, it's used, right? Might as well save a few bucks.

I did mention this to some friends who were horrrrrrrrified! They were from another country where you only handed stuff down to servants (and servants were not considered quite human). No one with any shame would take a hand-me-down, let alone admit it! Thankfully I have no such hang-ups.

I'm big on used books and wood furniture. I can't fathom paying $20 for a fake-wood bookcase when I can find one at a garage sale that's 50 years old and solid wood for $10. Granted they usually need refinished or painted, but they last forever! We used to do a lot of used toys and clothes, but I am in the process of really limiting the number of things in our home, so we have been cutting back in this area big time.

On the one hand, I love the practicality and thriftyness of re-using and re-purposing.

On the other hand, where I grew up people are leery of used items because of beliefs about spirits.

In the end, I try to avoid used stuff if it comes from an unfamiliar source (thrift store as opposed to friend).

My one exception is the bookstore. I buy almost exclusively used because my need for a fix is stronger than my childhood superstitions :D

On the one hand, I love the practicality and thriftyness of re-using and re-purposing.

On the other hand, where I grew up people are leery of used items because of beliefs about spirits.

In the end, I try to avoid used stuff if it comes from an unfamiliar source (thrift store as opposed to friend).

I have never, ever heard that! :eek: Is it some sort of religious thing or a superstition, or have people just seen those Chucky movies or the Priority Mail TV commercial (with the evil clown) too many times? :tongue_smilie:

I'm sorry -- I don't mean to joke about your beliefs, but the Chucky doll was the first thing that came into my mind, because that thing was creepy!

I'm trying to figure it out -- do you mean that evil spirits could be inside used toys or clothing or furniture, and basically bring bad luck to the next family to own the stuff? Maybe bad luck isn't the right term, but I hope you know what I mean -- bad things would start happening because the evil spirits got into the house because of the used stuff.

Again, I'm not trying to be snarky -- this is all new to me and I'm trying to understand it.

Real treasures? Absolutely. The torn, stained kiddie underwear my in-laws picked out at a garage sale and gave to us when they last visited? Uh, no.

I think I can safely speak for us all when I say :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

May I assume that you didn't send them a thank you note afterward?

I don't mind used things. If someone gave me a used book as a gift or something I would appreciate it just as much.

I am not huge on used upholstered furniture (unless I know them well) because of the bed bug issue but otherwise it doesn't bother me. (except underthings, of course)

I am not buying scary haunted dolls so I don't see that as a concern. Haunted dolls are a running joke in my family due to my sister (Mrs Mungo, she's mean!) threatening to buy me a haunted clown doll named Steve. :ohmy:

What to Expect From Your Haunted Doll : eBay Guides :lol:

http://reviews.ebay.com/What-to-Expect-From-Your-Haunted-Doll?ugid=10000000003339785

Edited by Sis

We are huge fans of thrifting!! I can safely say that 75% of our clothing comes from thrift/consignment stores or is handed down from friends. I have picked up lots of fun things, other than clothing, at thrift stores as well.

My favorite thrift store find: Two years ago, my oldest daughter wanted a desk for Christmas. We looked and looked but couldn't find something she wanted in solid wood, which was a must, in our price range. All we found were over-priced faux-wood desks. Then one day, we were at a Goodwill, and she came running up to me saying she had found THE DESK! It was a beautiful solid wood desk for $20! It just needed some TLC. So we bought it, and my husband refinished it for her. It was missing 2 drawer pulls, but I was able to go on ebay and find the brand new authentic pulls for the drawers (complete set for $50). So altogether we ended up spending less than $100 for a gorgeous desk that will last my daughter forever!

We are actually planning to do something fun this year for Christmas involving thrifting. We are going to exchange names (just in our little family of 5) and go thrifing to find gifts for each other. It'll be like a treasure hunt and will take some time and creativity. We're all excited!!

Edited by Nakia

Second-hand is fine here, but I draw the line at shoes. I have, on occasion, gotten the children a pair of second-hand church shoes or snow boots that were barely worn or unused, but I would never get second-hand shoes for sneakers or something they would wear everyday.

Wood furniture would be no problem, but we are picky about condition, unless we *know* we can refinish it. Upholstered furniture would depend heavily on condition, and it can't have smoke/pet smell residue.

I probably wouldn't dumpster dive on purpose, but if something was abandoned NEAR a dumpster that seemed perfectly fine, like a piece of wood furniture, I would probably go for it if I really wanted it.

I grew up in a family that never had used things. I was the youngest in a family of all girls and I NEVER wore hand me downs. My mom couldn't imagine wearing used clothing. I still prefer to buy new, but when my dh lost his job, he started dumpster diving. We've found brand new or barely used art supplies, clothes with the tags still on them, Little Tikes toys in perfect condition, professional quality kitchen pans, new toys, office supplies and plenty of other useful things. There is so much good stuff out there that I'm very open to used stuff now.

oh, yes--love buying used stuff. I consider myself a little bit of a failure when I can't find what I want used and have to buy something new.

We just finished moving a really cool old desk into my kids' room....bought it at the thrift store tonight for $50 :)

I'm great with second hand books, wood furniture, outdoor furniture and knick knack type stuff. I don't do clothes, bedding or anything upholstered.

Me, too. Books and wood stuff get the 'snif test' though. I've been burned by stuff that seemed great only to bring it home and realize it reeks of smoke or cat pee or both. :ack2: I'll take hand me down clothes from family or trusted friends, gladly, but I don't like clothes previously worn by strangers.

I am into used all the way. We go to the goodwill outlet and buy stuff by the pound. I get good natural fiber yarn that way- unravelling sweaters. We find a lot of clothing there as well.

The new furniture in my house amounts to some IKEA stuff, our mattresses and the stuff we built and 1 desk from the container store. The rest is all high quality used stuff.

Not only do I buy lots of stuff used, I sell or give away my used stuff to others. We are big Craig's list fans for buying and selling big items.

I just cleaned out ds's room, gave away the mattress off the bunk bed we took down, and have a telescope and a variety of legos, magnet blocks, knex, etc all for sale. They will make great Christmas presents for some boy out there for about 30% of retail.

The only new furniture I have is my bed (13 years old) and my apolstered living room furniture (12 years old). Both of those need to be replaced and I'll probably buy new again, but my family room furniture will probably be replaced with newer used stuff when we are ready to trade up.

Like some others said, I feel like it is a personal failure if I have to buy something new.

Yes, I am. Most of my kids clothes and some of my own are used. I asked my daughter today if she minded (because it bothers my mom hat we hardly ever get anything new for the kids), and she said she loves her clothes. She doesn't care a bit that they are used. When we done with them, we pass them down to younger cousins.

We are all for it, though we pick and choose carefully. Wanton consumerism and waste has lead to an economic problem here in the states. So, recycle, reuse, repair, and then toss when the FULL useage of the item has been extracted is out motto.

Plus, whenever we can get something we need used and in good shape, we've got some extra money that can then be put into savings or donated to a good cause. I really like that.

However, due to bed bug issues, I am very, very careful where cloth items come from and I put them in a garbage bag sealed with some essential oils on a paper towel placed inside a muslin bag for two weeks. The I wash and throw in the dryer. I would likely shy away from couches and stuffed chairs for this reason unless I knew the home they were coming from, but that is also a concern for people with pet allergies as well. Mattresses are a no-no. Since those things have a lot of environmentally unfriendly components, I'd love it if more resources were put to making eco-friendly, healthy living mattresses at reasonable prices. Reasonable being the key word there!

Faith