Menu

What is your personality type? & Questions

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

1. What is your personality type?

2. What is/was your career?

3. Did you feel it is/was a good fit? If not, why?

:)

1. INFP

2 & 3. I held many jobs before I quit working when ds was born.

Retail - good fit, had lines to talk with people, enjoyed the brief interaction

Cashier - again brief structured interaction

Veterinary Assistant - worked with animals, could interact with people as I wanted mostly. Took a lot of fearless moments dealing with mean and nasty animals. Felt like I was making a difference. Very meaningful job. Creative, spontaneous work, never a dull moment.

Insurance Underwriting Assistant - lots of people confrontation, lots of phone work, job entailed putting people into categorical boxes instead of treating them as individuals. Hated the work for the most part. People I worked with were great, benefits and pay were good.

Cleaning houses - this was dh's business for a while. I cleaned with him. I hated it. I felt like a nothing most of the time. I hate cleaning anyway, it was hard work. It could be confrontational at times. Dh dealt with all the customers and he loved it. This is a job I would never do by myself. I did fill in for someone else's business for a few weeks on one house. I hated it.

Homeschooling parent - this fits me for so many reasons. I really had to separate my own perks from ds's education to make sure we were doing this for him and not just for me.

Out of all the jobs the veterinary assistant has defined me more, at least until homeschooling. I used to get stopped by clients all the time so we could discuss their pets. Family would call so I could help them with their pet issues. I knew almost every client's pet by name, I did a little bit of everything when I worked there. We once had a stray dog roaming our neighborhood with no collar. I picked it up and identified him by name, called the animal hospital, got the address and took him home. Sure enough, that was him. I quit working there in 1991. I still occasionally have dreams about the place. :lol:

I am an ESFJ.

I am a theoretical physicist and worked in research for a number of years. After staying home for a few years with the kids, I began teaching at a university.

I am much happier as an instructor than I was as a researcher (even though I enjoyed reserach), because teaching matches my personality better. I am an extrovert who needs people!!! (which now also explains why I was unhappy as a SAHM).

ESFJ's are very typical teacher personalities ;-). The E/F combination sometimes gets in the way, because I want to be liked, and sometimes I have to simply get past this. The J definitely cuases me to be structured and very organized.

I did not find out about my personality type until I had started teaching, in my 30s. I think it should be a mandatory part of career counseling for every young person.

I am answering but I had my husband also answer as we're very different types.

I'm an ISXJ (x being I always test absolutely equal or nearly (+/-1) equal between the T/F)

2. What is/was your career? I taught high/middle school for 10 years before becoming a stay at home mom.

3. Did you feel it is/was a good fit? If not, why? There were aspects of it I loved. There were parts I didn't like as well but nothing I hated. Over-all I think it was a pretty good fit. I enjoyed the planning and feeling I was contributing to the success of my students. I didn't like the bureaucracy that was increasingly messing up education's ability to prepare students for their adult lives. I also so wanted to meet each child's needs and with a class of 30 or so you really had to often "miss" the top and bottom kids it seemed to some degree. That's why I stopped teaching, started staying home, and now home educate my kids. I knew my special needs son needed that one on one individualization to reach his best potential.

I think if I could rewind 20 years I might select a different field but only because I wish I had a degree that I could better use as a side thing from home. I always thought I would teach and my kids would go to public school. I'd drop them off on my way to work and we'd be home on the same school breaks, etc. My life as a parent turned out completely differently than I thought it would! I don't think I'll ever be back in the classroom.

---------------------

For my husband:

1. What is your personality type? INFJ

2. What is/was your career? Accountant/CPA--Auditor

Yes because it utilizes a lot of my strengths and preferences. I get to work by myself but also with people. My career provides a lot of autonomy too which I like. There is an over-all framework but I get to chose how I work within it.

ENFJ

ENFJs often find themselves in occupations that require good interpersonal skills to establish productive collaboration as well as to establish or maintain effective work process. ENFJs one of the most “universal” personality types and they build successful careers in a broad range of organizations and occupations. There are many ENFJs found among mid- and high-rank management roles. Sales, various social services, counseling, teaching, healthcare, community care as well as legal and paralegal services are just some of the examples of favourable occupations for ENFJs.

HA! Yup! I became a teacher first and I have taught high school as well as middle school. Then I became a school counselor and counseled at high school and middle school levels. I worked for 16.5 years and it was a perfect fit. I loved it and sometimes miss it. SOMEONE has to be there for the kids whose parents aren't homeschooling them! ;-)

I worked all of my years in the inner city though and I found it very rewarding.

Edited by DawnM

I am an I (conflicted), N (conflicted), T (conflicted) J (conflicted). Depending upon when I take this test, how I'm feeling in my job at the moment, which job I have, I can come up all sorts of ways, but I'm always conflicted. My last official test was in 1997, right after I got married...I typed this from the results.

The area I am least conflicted is I vs. E. I almost always lean I, but 3/5 of E traits I exhibit...I is the only one I show a *clear preference* for, the others, I have a slight or moderate preference.

My career has changed a lot over the years, I also coached debate at both the college and high school level for over a decade, and taught in a private high school.

Fast-Food Manager

Public Policy/Political Wonk (ideas)

Public Policy/Political Marketing (ideas)

Creative Entrepreneur/B-C Marketing (products)

Creative Industry B-B Marketing (products)

B-B Marketing (ideas)

I can sell tangible and intangibles. Sales and Marketing, Debate & Public Policy, Education and Inspiration are all things I *do*. I have to deal with facts, but figure out how to present them, so they will be accepted. I have to create a vision, but be able to put it in terms so others can see it and be inspired to follow. I have to identify problems, and figure out how to overcome them (or go around them). I have to be organized, and fly by the seat of my pants (especially during presentations/public forums). My conflict with E/I is that I am not a hermit (like my dad), I *need* people, I simply don't need a *lot* of people ;) When I am solely a SAHM, I am very, very unhappy.

I guess I'm perfect for this job :D

Edited by LisaK in VA

I'm an INFJ. I haven't had one specific career, but the two things I've done most as far as employment are working with the developmentally disabled, and writing. The former was okay, though very stressful. Writing is what I really want to do with my life (you know, aside from hsing :tongue_smilie:). Overall, my personality type describes me perfectly.

1. ISFJ

2. K-12 School Principal

3. It was a good fit. It required me to be a lot more outgoing than I am, so it was a challenge. In the end, I enjoyed it. I'm retired now.

OK, I took the test, and I have to ask -- Am I the only one who got "crazed lunatic" as their result?

Because I'm not seeing any mention of it, and I'm wondering if maybe some of you lied on a couple of the questions or something, so you could get one of the more favorable typology letter combinations. ;)

Other than "deranged lunatic," I am apparently also an ENFP, but in all honesty, I didn't get any "clear" results at all. Mine were slight or moderate preferences, which probably means that I have multiple personalities and they only sort of get along with each other, but they're all on the extroverted side. Except when they're feeling kind of introverted. Or deranged.

I hate these kinds of tests. I can never resist taking them, and then I'm disappointed when I get no concrete results, yet other people seem to think their results are pretty accurate.

And does anyone else go back and change their answers two seconds after they click on one of the choices? There were several questions where I could have gone either way with the answer. Well, except for the one about being on time for appointments. I know I'm late a lot, so I couldn't even fib on that one. :tongue_smilie: And I'm definitely pretty fast and loose when it comes to following the rules, so that was another one I didn't even think about changing.

So when I think about it, I'm a tardy troublemaker with multiple deranged personalities who is not above the idea of fibbing on a typography quiz.

OK.

That sounds about right. :D

OK, I took the test, and I have to ask -- Am I the only one who got "crazed lunatic" as their result?

Because I'm not seeing any mention of it, and I'm wondering if maybe some of you lied on a couple of the questions or something, so you could get one of the more favorable typology letter combinations. ;)

Other than "deranged lunatic," I am apparently also an ENFP, but in all honesty, I didn't get any "clear" results at all. Mine were slight or moderate preferences, which probably means that I have multiple personalities and they only sort of get along with each other, but they're all on the extroverted side. Except when they're feeling kind of introverted. Or deranged.

I hate these kinds of tests. I can never resist taking them, and then I'm disappointed when I get no concrete results, yet other people seem to think their results are pretty accurate.

And does anyone else go back and change their answers two seconds after they click on one of the choices? There were several questions where I could have gone either way with the answer. Well, except for the one about being on time for appointments. I know I'm late a lot, so I couldn't even fib on that one. :tongue_smilie: And I'm definitely pretty fast and loose when it comes to following the rules, so that was another one I didn't even think about changing.

So when I think about it, I'm a tardy troublemaker with multiple deranged personalities who is not above the idea of fibbing on a typography quiz.

OK.

That sounds about right. :D

:lol:Well I have taken dozens of these tests and I am always ISTJ. I'm a very consistent person though and the descriptions match me very well.;)

Other than "deranged lunatic," I am apparently also an ENFP, but in all honesty, I didn't get any "clear" results at all.:D

:lol: I'm pretty definitive on three of the things but always dead even or just a point different in one characteristic. Which way the extra point falls varies. I'm just right in the middle on that trait with no real preference. I honestly wish I had a bit more balance on another.

So you simply don't have strong preferences. Think of yourself as well balanced instead of deranged!

As an aside, I think the S/N being balanced for you would be the most unusual thing about your results. Those two preferences are really very different ways of experiencing and thinking about the world. It's more typical to be "even" on i/e, t/f, or j/p.

Edited by sbgrace

Think of yourself as well balanced instead of deranged!

Well balanced.

That sounds practically normal.

Let's go with that. :thumbup:

I'm not entirely convinced that anyone is going to buy into the whole "Cat is well balanced" line of thinking, but let's just say they will and maybe we'll get lucky and everyone who is online tonight has been drinking heavily or is hopped up on cupcakes or something, and they'll just believe the hype without really thinking about it.

1. What is your personality type? I'm an INTJ. I'm pretty strong on all the traits except for N/S. I'm usually only within a few points of center on that one.

2. What is/was your career? I worked in distribution/logistics for one of the country's biggest retailers.

3. Did you feel it is/was a good fit? If not, why? I got to analyze and organize insane amounts of data, save money with a lot of zeros by finding little efficiencies, and spend time thinking about how small changes could impact the supply chain going forward. I also got to work with a lot of really smart and innovative people. It was awesome, and I miss it. Even if I go back to work at some point, it's unlikely I'll land a gig like that again. It was a very competitive position that I was blessed to be chosen for.

My husband is also an INTJ (very strong on all traits), and yes, we have an interesting home. He's a specialized type of engineer. He likes it, but the amount of red tape and hesitation to change bothers him sometimes.

The number of INTJs on this forum never ceases to amaze me. My husband, however, thinks it's perfectly normal because of course thinking no one else can do something quite as well as you extends to schooling our children. :tongue_smilie:

1. What is your personality type? INTJ

2. What is/was your career? Legal assistant/paralegal

3. Did you feel it is/was a good fit? If not, why? No. It required much more interaction with other people than I would have preferred, and I was always frustrated at how inefficient and unorganized other people were. And too often that resulted in problems getting my job done in an efficient manner. I came home every night mentally exhausted and wanted to lock myself in a quiet, dark room.

1. ESFP

2. Stay at home Mom (Early Childhood Ed & Art Therapy majors)

3. My career path was highly influenced by personality testing we did in high school. I realized that the areas of study I was most interested in at a young age were the perfect fit for me.

As a Mom, I love having the education background to draw from, and have considered going back to either teaching or in-school counseling once my daughter is older. Time will tell.

1. What is your personality type? ISTJ on this test; however, I've always tested as ISFJ in the past.

2. What is/was your career? I used to call myself a Professional Volunteer. I worked nearly 40 hrs. a week as a volunteer in elementary education. Then, I was hired as a Special Needs Para-professional by a local elementary school.

3. Did you feel it is/was a good fit? If not, why? Yes, I enjoyed my job in Spec. Ed. immensely. I loved that I could impose a schedule but everyday was still slightly different based on the mood of each individual child. When I moved from Spec. Ed. para to working as a para at a small private Christian school, I hated every minute of it. So many of the kids were know-it-all entitled little brats, the adults were very self-important and they were not open to new methods for struggling students. I tried so many times to offer solutions for a particularly troubled and high needs student who didn't fit their mold. He responded well to me, but they wouldn't hear any of it. Instead, they kicked him out. Others who were nuisance kids but related in some way to the administration were overlooked and coddled. They never really knew what to do with the well-behaved but truly special needs student in my class, and I wasn't given any time or direction to work specifically with her on her issues. Her parents ended up hiring me to tutor her outside of school instead.

The recommended career choices on this test, however, were all horrible choices for me. Not one of them was something I would ever remotely consider. ISFJ careers are always good matches for me. I would love beyond all things to work with animals. My dream would be to develop my own rescue and rehab farm.

Edited by contessa20

I'm an INTP married to an INTJ.

Funny. I am an ENTP (barely P) married to an INTJ.

I have been leading volunteer organizations for almost 15 years now. DH is a career military officer.

We are both in positions that are good fits for our personalities.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

1. INTJ

2. I sell cable, internet, & phone service for a major cable company

3. It's a good fit as part-time work. I enjoy the challenge of competing with 150 other call center workers to win the prizes and make as much money as I can. I work in my own little bubble (as I prefer), following the "rules" but coming up with my own strategies for success. I can't see myself doing this particular job full-time, though. If I do end up full-time in the company, it will be in a management position. I seem to be typical INTJ. I am very competitive, very adamant about rules and fairness, I have little patience working in groups, I am fairly quiet, I'm a perfectionist, and I analyze everything.

ESTJ

But the E and S are only by 1% so I am middle of the road between ES and IN for both of those and only in the low 20% for the others.

I am a pharmacy tech. It is a good fit for my personality.

I volunteer a lot in my kids schools (200-300 hrs per year) and that helps me to round out my lifes desires wtih counting pills. LOL

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I'm an INFP but am close to the line between F and T. I'm also a J at work but more of a P at home.

Editing suits me as a job, but working in a corporate environment is not a natural fit for me at all. Even though my job doesn't require me to do physically or mentally taxing work, the typical office environment drains me and makes me feel like I've been doing back-breaking labor at the end of the day.

(ETA: I took the professionally administered MBTI in college and have never varied from that type when I've taken the online tests.)

Edited by WordGirl

ISTJ. Barely S.

This is so funny and accurate for me:

." When told that Lazarus had died, Thomas said, "Let us go and die with him." (He could just as well have said something like, "I knew this was bound to happen sooner or later.")

I worked in retail for many years before becoming a SAHM and I don't think it was a great fit. It was something different every day, which I liked, but the PEOPLE!

A word about online tests? They are not as accurate as when you do it with a real life tester. One thing about these personality tests is that you must choose according to you natural inclinations, not learned behaviors. I would prefer to live a fly-by-the seat-of-your-pants type of life. But, I am a homeschooling military wife. So, that doesn't fit my chosen lifestyle. I therefore have loads of learned J tendencies. But, that is not my optimal choice.

Does that make sense?

Edited by Mrs Mungo

A word about online tests? They are not as accurate as when you do it with a real life tester. One thing about these personality tests is that you must choose according to you natural inclinations, not learned behaviors. I would prefer to live a fly-by-the seat-of-your-pants type of life. But, I am a homeschooling military wife. So, that doesn't fit my chose lifestyle. I therefore have loads of learned J tendencies. But, that is not my optimal choice.

Does that make sense?

:iagree: You almost have to go with your gut on the answers. I remember our first year homeschooling ds started having discipline issues. I asked dh about how to handle it because they are similar personalities. He asked about my schedule. :001_huh: <---this was my look. I don't like things overly structured, I like to jump from thing to thing based upon how I feel. I hesitantly implemented a more structured schedule and ds loved it. I was :svengo: because I didn't want to homeschool with a tight schedule. :lol:

We loosened up since then but ds still needs the structure of a schedule, now we do mostly a weekly schedule instead of daily.

This is one source of contention between dh and me. He wants me to plan a menu, it's so confining to me and I only half-heartedly do it. I don't want to think about what I might want to eat on Thursday night when it's only Sunday. What if I don't feel like eating that on Thursday. I'm the adult, right? Shouldn't I be able to eat what I want. :tongue_smilie:

INTJ. (household is all INTJ if I had to guess)

Analyst.

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (89%)

You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (38%)

You have strong preference of Thinking over Feeling (88%)

You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

Well, my first INFJ.... both of my grown dc are INFJ, it is probably from being around them a lot. But I have slight preference to the I and the N, so most tests come out ISFJ (what I usually come out as) and some ESFJ, or ENFJ. The N and the J are pretty set.

I have been SAHM for over 20 years, but may need to figure out what I am doing in my next phase. I worked in accounting and banking before marriage and kids....not sure I want to do that again. Banking was a little better, it got me out with people and interacting with live bodies, rather than dealing with endless numbers in seclusion (ugh).

:This is one source of contention between dh and me. He wants me to plan a menu, it's so confining to me and I only half-heartedly do it. I don't want to think about what I might want to eat on Thursday night when it's only Sunday. What if I don't feel like eating that on Thursday. I'm the adult, right? Shouldn't I be able to eat what I want. :tongue_smilie:

Can you compromise? DH and I have. I make a list of breakfasts, lunches and dinners for the week. I might set one or two of them on certain nights (like a crockpot meal on a busy day), but otherwise I decide in the morning (if I have to thaw it) or afternoon what I making for dinner that day.

1. ISFJ :rolleyes:

I guess that means I'm dependable with doormat qualities? It really doesn't seem to suit me. I am honest, to a fault. I'm just quiet about it. I do tend to work hard and let others take credit. Making me delegate work is akin to torture.

2. I worked as a veterinary assistant and a software licensing coordinator for a huge university.

3. Veterinary assistant was a good fit. Apparently, sw licensing was also a good fit, according to my supervisor and colleagues, but *I* never felt comfortable, so I'd say no.

Once my kids either graduate, or decide they are done with this homeschooling gig, I intend on going back to school for my RN, which is actually listed as a good career for ISFJs. Yay! I made a good decision.

I am an INFP. Previous jobs I have had like working in computers or clerical work were not a good fit, too boring.

I think typically INFPs are counselors, psychiatrists, alternative medicine practitioners, writers, etc. I have chosen a completely different career path, right now training to work in a hospital laboratory as a clinical laboratory scientist. I have always wanted to do something in science, medicine, or possibly teach as a professor. Most likely most people that go into lab work are not an INFP, but I am going to try to make it work. I will probably try to specialize in an area of the lab that fits my personality better, either microbiology or immunology. I know I have seen Myers Briggs matching for medical physicians where they usually are shown to choose things like psychiatry, allergy/immunology, or cardiology.

My dh is: ESTJ (exact opposite of me) and he works in network security. I think he picked the perfect job and if he would not have gone into the computer field he would have chosen, firefighter, police officer, FBI agent, Navy Seal, etc.

It will be interesting to see what my older dd picks for a career, I am not exactly sure what she is, but maybe an ENTP.

Can you compromise? DH and I have. I make a list of breakfasts, lunches and dinners for the week. I might set one or two of them on certain nights (like a crockpot meal on a busy day), but otherwise I decide in the morning (if I have to thaw it) or afternoon what I making for dinner that day.

We do, sort of. I don't cook breakfast or rarely lunch, which he isn't here for those anyway.

When he asks what is for dinner, I blurt out something I know I have. It's almost like a game now. :lol::lol:It's usually on his way home from work when he asks and as long as it's not chicken too many nights a week, he's okay.

1. ISFP

2. I've been a mom since I graduated from high school (DS was in my belly at my graduation and born in January).

3. Yes, it's a good fit. The top two "career choices" for me on that site say something about children. :lol: I enjoy being a mama for the most part. I can't actually picture doing anything else.

1. What is your personality type? INTJ, but my S/N score is always pretty close.

2. What is/was your career? I was an engineer for 11 years, I've been staying home for 7, homeschooling for 3.

3. Did you feel it is/was a good fit? If not, why? Engineering was a good fit in that I was good at my job and enjoyed the environment. I wasn't ambitious enough to be really successful though. I didn't love staying at home with my kids when they were really young, but I find homeschooling to be extremely satisfying.

I'm an INFP. I'm trained as a Marriage and Family Therapist. (so I've taken the "official" form of the test;), along with MANY others)

I like counseling, and I have a great deal of empathy, I'm a super listener, etc. Every where I go, people just tend to tell me things, lol, which sort of drives my DH crazy. :lol:

BUT... during career counseling class, we all took the personality and career-type inventories, and everyone there was "social" first, which is what you'd expect in a group of soon-to-be counselors, except me. I was "artistic." Which explains why I always say...

If I'd grown up in Las Vegas, I would've been a Cirque du Soleil performer.;)

So, everything is relative, at least to an INFP.:lol:

: He asked about my schedule. :001_huh: <---this was my look. I don't like things overly structured, I like to jump from thing to thing based upon how I feel.

And this is how I STILL look, after 11 years of homeschooling...;)

This is one source of contention between dh and me. He wants me to plan a menu, it's so confining to me and I only half-heartedly do it. I don't want to think about what I might want to eat on Thursday night when it's only Sunday. What if I don't feel like eating that on Thursday. I'm the adult, right? Shouldn't I be able to eat what I want. :tongue_smilie:

Exactly...

ENFJ

ENFJs often find themselves in occupations that require good interpersonal skills to establish productive collaboration as well as to establish or maintain effective work process. ENFJs one of the most “universal†personality types and they build successful careers in a broad range of organizations and occupations. There are many ENFJs found among mid- and high-rank management roles. Sales, various social services, counseling, teaching, healthcare, community care as well as legal and paralegal services are just some of the examples of favourable occupations for ENFJs.

HA! Yup! I became a teacher first and I have taught high school as well as middle school. Then I became a school counselor and counseled at high school and middle school levels. I worked for 16.5 years and it was a perfect fit. I loved it and sometimes miss it. SOMEONE has to be there for the kids whose parents aren't homeschooling them! ;-)

I worked all of my years in the inner city though and I found it very rewarding.

That's me, too. I was in higher education, now work a few different thing, but all related to education in some way.

A word about online tests? They are not as accurate as when you do it with a real life tester. One thing about these personality tests is that you must choose according to you natural inclinations, not learned behaviors. I would prefer to live a fly-by-the seat-of-your-pants type of life. But, I am a homeschooling military wife. So, that doesn't fit my chosen lifestyle. I therefore have loads of learned J tendencies. But, that is not my optimal choice.

Does that make sense?

I completely agree. Due to growing up in a dysfunctional household, a lot of my behaviors are learned. I am starting to work through them and learn who I really am, but that will take years since it took years for me to become this way.

Taking the test with how I would react and do things now, it says I am INTJ.

Strong preference towards Introversion over Extroversion (89%)

Slight preference towards Intuition over Sensing (12%)

Moderate preference towards Thinking over Feeling (50%)

Slight preference towards Judging over Perceiving (11%)

I am definitely a perfectionist. I don't really have the self-confidence like it says most INTJs do, but I assume that is from my upbringing. Sense entering the 12-step program I am apart of, my confidence has gotten a bit better.

I am decent at detecting others' feelings but I don't know how to address them correctly a lot of the time. I am extremely satisfied in cultivated relationships because I "know" the person. It isn't an unknown territory anymore. But I am only willing to do this with a small number of people.

I am very reserved and prefer to listen instead of talk, unless I know you well and sense that you like me. I shut down in situations where I feel awkward or disliked.

I don't like being in charge, but I have a strong sense of responsibility. I will take over a situation if my behind is on the line. I also have a strong sense of integrity and am a rule follower.

I take criticism very personally (learned behavior) and I always feel the need to prove myself. I strongly dislike if someone tells me how to do something before I get the chance to show them I already know how.

I don't think I want to work with the public, at all. I would prefer to work with other professionals in a non-competitive environment. I'm leaning towards laboratory technologist, but I don't know yet. I really don't want any public interaction.

ETA: I really want to be a homeschooling mother. My fiance already knows this and supports it. But I do want to have career training to fall back on in the case of my SO's unemployment or underemployment or God forbid, injury or death.

Edited by BeatleMania

INTJ

• You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
  • You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Thinking over Feeling (75%)
  • You have strong preference of Judging over Perceiving (100%)

Before I became a SAHM, I was an RN. It was a good fit. There was a lot of teaching and analysis with the patients that I had. I had to be extremely organized to manage my time and get everything done when needed. I'm pretty introverted, but the nurse-patient relationship was such that I was able to do a lot of listening without sharing too much from my side.