Menu

For those who have had wisdom teeth removed in adulthood...

Please tell me what it was like (I'm not going under, just using local) and what the recovery was like. I asked on facebook and a couple people said the recovery was awful, one said she couldn't even open her mouth for WEEKS, and another said it was fine and she could eat normal the next day.

What was the procedure like? Could you open your mouth afterward? Was the pain so bad at any point it made you want to cry?

I had mine removed with a local when I was in college. I'm not sure if that's far enough into adulthood for you. Everyone else I know in my circle of friends was out under general.

In my case, the recovery was easy, I barely swelled, and I went rock climbing at an indoor gym the next day. I think I ate soft foods just because I did whatever I was advised to do by the staff. I don't really remember.

The toughest part physically was that my neck hurt a bit from them pulling so hard back and forth. They helped brace it, but my muscles were still kicking in to stabilize. It just got a little sore. Once my wisdom teeth were out, my dentist said they were the size of a 6'5" man and the roots were enormous. He wasn't anticipating that. Some of the roots were kind of crooked, so that was why they had to tug. That said, it wasn't that bad.

I ended up with a small pocket in the healing tissue that had to be lanced (blech), which was mostly just inconvenient, but no big deal.

ETA: I didn't take any pain meds. I don't do well with codeine, and I just managed with whatever OTC stuff they recommended at the time.

Best of luck.

Send someone to the drugstore for your prescription pain meds while you are having your teeth out. Take a pill when you get home even if your mouth is still numb. Take meds around the clock and use ice. Both of my teens had there's out this year. One had a more difficult time than the other. All in all I would plan on taking it easy for a week and hope it's less. :grouphug:

I am twenty eight and just had top two out two weeks ago. The dentist numbed me and I did not feel a thing. I did leave with two canker sores. This happens every time I use this dentist. I think he does not realize my mouth only opens so far.:D I was really sore in the middle of the night the first night. However, over the counter Advil took care of the pain. I went back to work the next morning with no problems. For three days I ate soft food, ice cream, refried beans, pudding, yogurt. Now two weeks later the only aggravation is having food get stuck in the sockets. It is not really a big deal. Just the only way to get it out is to rinse my mouth out and it is a little difficult to do when I am out in public. I sweated over it for two months before I had it done. Honestly though there was nothing to it. While it was going on I never felt a thing. On a side note my dentist was kind of excited because the xray showed a second wisdom tooth.

Mine were removed surgically before they came in. I would think that would make a difference. There would have been absolutely no way I could handle that without being under. My bottom two were so hard to get out they had to break them.

I had all four out at once. I went under. The recovery wasn’t that bad. I took it easy that day and ate softer foods but more because it was recommended than because of the pain. I think I just took Tylenol for the pain. I had very little swelling. I had them out on a Friday and was fine over the weekend, doing normal activities, pretty much eating normally and back at work Monday.

Mine were not impacted at all, I got them out because I finally had developed a cavity in one of them. When I’ve talked to others who had theirs out it seems that the wide range in experience may be explained by how impacted the teeth were to begin with. I also tend to recover fast from any kind of surgery or medical procedure for what that’s worth.

Edited by Alice

Mine were impacted so choose to be put to sleep during the procedure. Took me about a week to be able to open my mouth wide to eat normally. Lots of liquids and soft foods for a week, tylenol and took it easy. Just had to remember to rinse out sockets after eating with nifty syringe they give you.

I had a hard time opening my mouth for months tbh. However I have a freakishly small mouth. The dr literally stretched my muscles/jaw to their limit. I had enough anesthesia that I don't remember a thing but that I could respond to commands like "move your head this way, lean back, etc." I went in on a Monday morning and don't remember a thing until Wed afternoon. Whatever they gave me totally knocked me out. I had 3 visitors and don't remember that either. I was 21, in college, and my parents tooke care of me even though I wasn't living at home at the time. They took me, drove me to their house, and I stayed there for a few days.

I wasn't in a lot of pain, just uncomfortable. My jaw muscles would.not.move! I would have to either drink my meals or literally smash my food flat. That lasted a few weeks. For a few months I noticed I just couldn't comfortably do certain things like eat a whole apple...

HTH

ETA: all for were cut out at the same time as they had not broken through the gums yet.

I had mine out at 25 under local anesthetic only. Well, 3/4 were under local. The last one wouldn't go numb, no matter how much local was used. So I told them to go ahead. Hell yes, it hurt, but I wanted it over with. Recovery was completely unremarkable. Ate soft foods the next day, didn't need prescription pain killers. None of mine were impacted, if that makes any difference.

I only had 3 and they had partially erupted. My mouth wasn't big enough for them to come all the way in and so they gave me a general because they had to dig them out. I felt pretty awful the first day and that was probably more from coming out from the general than anything. I only took pain medicine the first day because I was still nursing and I couldn't nurse with the medicine they gave me. I was sore for the next couple of days and ate soup and soft foods. After that I was fine.

I had one out at the dentist with local and went waterskiing the next day. :) It was easy peasy--I think I just took ibuprofen for pain (there was very little).

I had the remaining two out a couple of years later--they were impacted and hadn't erupted. An oral surgeon did them and I was under general anesthesia. That was a bit more difficult and painful because the teeth were harder to get out. I went to work the next day for a half day, though, so it wasn't unbearable. I think I did take the prescription pain meds the first day, though.

I had all four extracted at once by an oral surgeon under twilight sleep. It probably took me three days to really not want to sleep all day long. I had some swelling, but no bruising (or very slight). My mom said it was shockingly fast. I remember being in pain, but the prescription medicine made me vomit, so I took OTC stuff. I don't remember the pain or swelling lasting for more than a week or so.

I had mine done a few years after college. I had "twilight sleep" anesthesia, not sure the technical term. I don't remember the recovery of the actual surgery being that bad, but my biggest problem is that apparently I don't respond well to anesthesia. And/or having to fast. I threw up on the way home [poor friend who drove me--of course I was still bleeding; to this day, I'm not sure how much of a stain I left. :( ]. My roommate was out of town that weekend, the only soup I had in the house was minestrone [bIG mistake] and I ended up calling my mom to come over to help get some food in me that wouldn't make me want to hurl.

Oral surgeon blamed the pain meds, but since I threw up before I'd had any of them, I know it was either the anesthesia or else just the fasting. I had a similar problem when I underwent general for back surgery a couple years ago, only then I was in the hospital. I kept asking them to just give me some toast or crackers, but no... *sigh*

Anyway, I don't remember much more about soreness or anything. Do you know much about your oral surgeon's rep?

I've gone under, had local, and had one pulled (or rather crumbled) with absolutely NOTHING to numb me ($100 for the pull and could not afford the local).

It was bearable, pain and pulling, no crying, stuffed wad and gaping hole in the back of the mouth, pain pills afterwards. The next day I could start eating, carefully, again.

I have a high pain tolerance, so take all that for what it's worth.

I had 7 teeth, including all 4 impacted wisdom teeth, removed at once a little over a year ago. 2 of the extra teeth were taken because they did not fit (one was hiding behind my visible teeth, fully erupted and the other was impacted right along my sinus. The 3rd non-wisdom tooth that was removed was damaged beyond repair due to some very bad dental work I had as a child. So, a lot of teeth. I had the surgery on Friday and was back at the office, still more than a little bruised on Tuesday. I was very careful with food for about a week, no straws for a while to avoid dry socket issues. Frankly, it was pretty bad the first couple of days. I have a very high pain tolerance, like to avoid the narc pain relief because it makes me sick to my stomach. I personally found the pain level worse than either c-section recovery those first few days but that is likely because I got a cute baby and all the mothering hormones to perk me up with the c-sections. No such luck with the mega extractions.

OTH, my husband (who is a way bigger wimp about pain) had his out last year and was fine the next day. His were 4 erupted teeth- no impacted ones. It definitely makes a difference how many teeth and what the situation is- erupted, partially impacted, full bony extractions required. My husbands popped out whole and are in a little box in the house. Mine were cut out, bit by bit. We had the same oral surgeon. I couldn't even finish a copy of People mag while waiting to drive him home- fast appointment. My procedure took much longer. I remember some of it but was in no pain. The reason I did 7 at once was so I would not have to pay for anesthesia twice.

ETA: ice is great. As is the little heat band they gave me. I have a great, amazing dentist and he referred me to a great oral surgeon. With all the impacted teeth, he knew it was beyond his skill level and he urged more than local anesthesia. I am glad he was honest because I had previously had a couple of dentists say they could do the wisdom teeth in office. I had waited because I have some dental anxiety about people's hands in my mouth and because I really could not afford it till about 5 years ago. Even once I could afford it, I delayed until after the damaged tooth broke and forced my hand...I now have braces, something I really should have done in my teens.

Edited by kijipt

Please tell me what it was like (I'm not going under, just using local) and what the recovery was like. I asked on facebook and a couple people said the recovery was awful, one said she couldn't even open her mouth for WEEKS, and another said it was fine and she could eat normal the next day.

What was the procedure like? Could you open your mouth afterward? Was the pain so bad at any point it made you want to cry?

I had two removed when living in Korea. Just local numbing and it wasn't all that bad. I was sore, but I just ate light for several days so the sites could heal. I took my pain medication for 5 days when I was instructed to so it didn't

run out and it managed my pain well. You will do fine, just follow the instructions to the letter.

:grouphug:

Well, I have a very high pain tolerance, so take this for what it's worth:

I put off my wisdom teeth removal for years because when I was about 9 my friend's older brother had his out and stayed horizontal on their couch with his head hung over a bucket on the floor catching a lot of blood for 3 days. I was terrified.

In my case, they put me in "twilight" which they said I may be aware of something but not remember later. I went to sleep completely and didn't remember a thing until the nurse started calling my name. My mouth was packed with cotton. They had me bite down to encourage clotting. They changed the dressings a couple of times until heavy bleeding was over and it was just spots before I went home.

I was forbidden to drink anything with a straw or to eat certain foods for a while to try and prevent dry socket.

Like any other surgery, the pain was fine as long as I took pain medicine on schedule.

When I went back to the follow up I said I felt fine, they were surprised I had dry socket (exposed bone) on ALL FOUR holes. I had to take another week off work to stay on pain medicine.

All in all, it was WAY easier than I ever expected.

Mine were done as an adult under local only. My recovery was not very bad, but I am a bit of a recovery veteran and I have a really high pain tolerance. That said, I wish I had gone to an oral surgeon instead of a dentist. One of them split into many fragments and he could not get them all out. I had sharp fragments working their way out every few days for months. It has been over ten years, and one still occasionally surfaces. I had the removal done to cure chronic irritation and infection in that area, and because of the fragments, I still live with it, so I really regret not having an oral surgeon do a better removal and avoid shattering it.

The dentist made all the difference. I had 2 removed at 27 years old (my wisdom teeth erupted during my pregnancies) by one dentist, only used local a anaesthetic as well as a pill to make me relax. The dentist was really rough, he was grunting and pushing his weight on my face, it was pretty disconcerting. They gave me pain meds and antibiotics to prevent infection. The dentist and pharmacy messed up my meds- wrote the prescription wrong and I reacted really badly to the pain killers (narcotics). Called the dentist at his ritzy office the next morning, a Saturday of course, and there was nobody there, no answering machine, no emergency number, nothing! I was in soooo much pain I has to go to the ER, got put on the proper pain meds, and antibiotics as I had dry socket. Ya he sucked I got no instructions for eating afterwards and my face was so sore and bruised- and the ER doctor was furious with the dentist and the pharmacy, he called them both to give them an earful. Btw, you may feel pretty fine right after when the freezing still hasn't worn off- do not chew!!!! No straw sucking, no solids.

I had the other 2 pulled last year, drove 4 hours to go to a dentist I love, where my good friend who is a hygienist assistant there. She assisted with the removal and I stated at her house after for a few days so she could look out for any issues. Totally different! The dentist was very gentle and prescribed the right meds. I had minimal pain afterwards, was very careful with not chewing for a few days, sift foods, no sucking or straws.

Fly by posting as I haven't read the other responses. I'll be blunt. It was awful. When I sent dh to get my rx I thought I would die. I ate KFC mashed potatoes for three weeks. After that all was good. Immediately after and day three were the worst. I did have a root growing around my jaw. They had to break it (the root not the jaw) to get it out. I got three out at once and dry socket, so my experience is not normal.

We actually took a seven hour trip the next day and broke down, so I never rested. That probably added to the long recovery!

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

I had two removed when I was 31. Went to a dentist and had a local. The most disturbing part to me was when the dentist had some difficulty getting the upper tooth out, and hearing the conversation with his nurse. I have corkscrew roots (not sure if that's the norm or not), and he was really pulling to get those out in one piece. I remember thinking that my two front teeth were cracking (obviously they weren't, but the pressure on my teeth made me nervous).

I was in a LOT of pain the first night, but after that it was tolerable. I don't do prescription pain killers, so it may have been better had I done that (they make me sick to my stomach). I do have a pretty high tolerance to pain, but I do remember that first night being in tears because of the pain.

The good news is, you only have to go through it once. Be very careful to avoid dry socket. Dh has had it before and says it's the most excruciating pain ever. Good luck with your surgery!

I had mine out about a year and a half ago with local anesthetic. I drove myself there and home, did some grocery shopping later in the day, and had my DS2's first birthday party the next day. All I took was some ibuprofen, I never even got my prescription for pain medication filled. No swelling. Soft foods for a couple of days.

The worst part of it for me was the sound as they were pulled. Now that was unpleasant.

I got all 4of mine out this past March at age 41. I think being older lends itself to longer recovery but wiser choices when it comes to following all instructions. I had put it off for years and years. The pain during recovery was not as bad as the pain I had leading up to removal. I felt "normal" by the third day afterwards. Followed instructions to the letter. Iced often the first day, maybe hourly. Prayed a lot beforehand and afterward. Ate soft food for at least a week. So glad I had it done. I went to an oral surgeon and was put under.

Get it done and try not to worry about it!

Mine was easy peasy. Went under, went home, religiously took the pain killers and iced. The most important thing is to not get cocky and think, "Hey, this doesn't hurt so bad. I don't need the pain killers yet." Believe me, do not wait until you need them before you start taking them.

DH had his out when we were a bit older. All of his were bony and impacted. We went to a dentist who managed to remove one and struggled for an hour and a half to remove the next one, but couldn't. So DH had to recover from that one, then go to the oral surgeon a week later. That went so well, the recovery was much quicker and there was a lot less pain. Still stinks that he had to recover twice. I don't want to bash DH at all, but he's sure lucky he was married to me when he had them out. His parents don't believe in taking pain killers, so he was of the mindset that he didn't need them. He's lucky I slipped them into his pudding. He knew they were there, he just couldn't get them out. And heck, it was pudding; he's not going to say no to pudding. I wanted to smack him for being so macho.

I had 3 of mine out (I thoguht it was 4, but it looks like I may still have one back there under my gum) when I was 18 (I'm 34 now). Local anesthesia, but I did have laughing gas as well. Mine were still all under bone and tissue so they had to dig for them. Oh yeah, and I was suffering from HORRIBLE tmj at the time so my jaw wouldnt allow my mouth to open wide enough to even eat a banana! They had to use the toddler sized mouth bit on me....anyway. I stayed on top of my pain killers afterwards and NEVER had any pain while healing up. I dont remember what I ate or anything, I just remember being amazed that I didnt feel any pain! Prayers for a speedy and PAIN FREE recovery for you!

Other than dry socket no problems here. I had a local.

The BEST dry socket cure is Red Cross Emergency Toothache Kit which you can buy OTC from Rite aid, Walgreens, CVS type stores.

I went to the dentist afterwards and they gave me something which didn't last nearly as long as I needed it to. I heard about clove oil which is what is in The Red Cross Emergency Toothache Kit, so I tried the stuff and realized it was the exact same thing the dentist gave me.

Just be sure to use a teeny tiny bit and don't put the cotton balls in the socket. A little goes a LONG way -- and it does burn if you put too much on. I just placed a little bit on the edge of the gym outside of the socket area.

I had all four out in my twenties, so it's a foggy memory. I do remember that I had the top two teeth out first, then went back later for the bottom two. The top teeth were both impacted, and one had even grown together at the roots, so the surgeon had to break the bone. I had stitches, had to eat carefully. I don't remember the recovery being all that drastic. Not exactly memorable, really.

I did have a harder time keeping food out of the "holes" when I had my lower teeth extracted, but no infections or any problems. I agree with the advice to stay ahead of the pain. Do not let it catch up with you, stay ahead of it. HTH. :grouphug:

The procedure was awful, but I am a big wimp lol.

The first couple of days were painful, and I could not eat much, just ice cream and jello type stuff. By day 4 I was feeling ok, and by day 7 I was back to normal. I only had three removed, because one is impacted, and no way are they getting that out lol. If I had the option to be put under for the removal, then I would go that route.

I just had all of mine out 6 weeks ago. I had them put me out.

I tried to take a rx pain pill as soon as I got home but since I hadn't eaten for hours, it made me sick. Applesauce cups were my go to food. Stock up on yogurt, simple soups (think butternut squash, etc) and mashed potatoes. Drink lots of fluids.

It was uncomfortable but no where near pain to the level of crying. If you don't like rx pain meds, you can take 4 ibuprofen every 4-6 hours. I was paranoid about dry socket so I only ate soft food for the first 3 days. No swishing, rinsing, or straws. I have a very small mouth so I did have pain in the muscles behind my jaws. It can be hard to open your mouth completely for a while.

The 3 days are the roughest. Try to get plenty of rest and follow drs orders.

ETA : I had mine taken out by an oral surgeon. I think that who takes them out also affects recovery. It was hard to talk the first day or two due to sore muscles so I used a small dry erase board.

Edited by emredhead76

I had 4 out, two "impacted" with twilight sedation. I could feel the pull and the gush of blood but felt no pain.

I lived on sipped smoothies and 1/4 of a percoset for about 3 days, and then started doing better. I'm a wimp for pain meds, so 1/4 at a time, hourly, meant I was controlled but not asleep. If I took a whole one, I would knocked out, and then wake in pain.

Vanilla ice cream in apple/rasp cider was the tastiest.

I had IV sedation. Recovery was fine. I think I was sore for a day or two. Funny story: I had my wisdom teeth removed in the morning. That afternoon I received a call from a TV news program to ask if I was willing to be interviewed for the evening news for a state legislative issue I'd been an activist for. I agreed and I was happy that I didn't look like a chipmunk when I watched the footage later. :tongue_smilie:

I'm not going to lie. I would rather have a root canal without any novacaine then have my wisdoms out. I was in my 20's. All 4 impacted. I was put under a general. Couldn't open my mouth for a week. Had black eyes, and was out of work for two weeks. I would rather take a kidney stone again over having those out.

No way could they come out just with novacaine. UNLESS they have all erupted. If not, I would highly suggest you get put out. And stay on those pain meds, keep your head elevated, and use ice packs. NO STRAWS.

But once they are out, it's done.

ETA: It makes all the difference in the world if they have already erupted. If they have not, there is no way you could be up and about the same day and feeling great the next. Teeth being pulled, and teeth being cut out are two totally different things, with completely different recovery outcomes.

Good luck.:grouphug:

Edited by dancer67

Thank you all! I feel (mostly) better about this. I did watch a video on youtube (my husband thinks that was a mistake, lol) that freaked me out a bit, but not too bad.

Prayers for a speedy and PAIN FREE recovery for you!

Thank you so much!

The BEST dry socket cure is Red Cross Emergency Toothache Kit which you can buy OTC from Rite aid, Walgreens, CVS type stores.

Thank you for the tip!

ETA: It makes all the difference in the world if they have already erupted. If they have not, there is no way you could be up and about the same day and feeling great the next. Teeth being pulled, and teeth being cut out are two totally different things, with completely different recovery outcomes.

Good luck.:grouphug:

The one I'm having out is erupted. He said he may have to make a small cut in the gum since about 1/4 is still covered by the gum (that's what is causing me trouble now). Does that mean it's not "impacted?"

Honestly it was the grossest thing I have ever had done.:ack2: I just had regular numbing because that is all I could afford. The cracking is like nothing else. I had a lot of pain the first night but after that things improved fairly quickly. I wasn't able to really chew on that side for several days.

I have had all 4 removed. The two bottom teeth were impacted so I was out for those and it took a few days to feel normal. The two top teeth were not impacted so I was numb and had a little gas to help me relax. I felt really quite myself by the next day. Hope it goes smoothly for you.

I had one removed 2 years ago. It was compacted what the dentist do was give me 4 needles to numb the whole area, then started cutting the tooth out. He had to cut a part of my jaw as well. he then spent quite a long time pulling and twisting with players to try and get it out. He almost couldn't get it out. I am glad he managed to because he told me that if He couldn't, then I would have a 3 hour trip one way to the orthodontist, who would have to knock me out to cut it out. this would have cost about $1000 and the waiting time for the orthodontist was longer than a month. (imagine having your jawbone cut up and a twisted tooth for a month).

One complication I had was the stitches fell out that night, and could not be put back in, so I had dry socket (very painful). The dentist gave me very strong painkillers (I only took 2 as they spun me way out). I could not eat at all for 3 days, and after that for about 5 months I had to remove food trapped in the hole after every meal.

Aside from childbirth, it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced.

I had 4 I impacted wisdom teeth. I had a twilight sedative. Afterwards I was so bruised and swollen it looked like I had been beaten up. I couldn't eat solids for about a week and I vomited several times, mostly blood that I had swallowed.

Then I got dry socket in all 4 areas and the treatment for that was excruciating.

Thank the Lord for Vicodin and Percocet. Also have ice packs on hand and don't use a straw as that causes the dry socket. You will be cleaning food out of the holes for a long time.

Whatever you do, have all 4 done at the same time. If I hadn't, I would never have gone back for the other ones.

Not trying to scare you. Just speaking truth. :grouphug:

I had mine pulled right before I got pg with my first, so it's been a long while. But I remember it being an easy recovery. I'm pretty sure it was a local, but I was out. I slept the whole way home and most of the afternoon. I ate a small soft dinner that night. Then small meals for the weekend. But no huge amounts of pain. I did take the pills prescribed though.

I didn't read all the responses.

Not a biggie for me. Not a ton of fun, but not that bad. I had 4 removed, and was put completely under. The surgeon said he basically had to get in there with some sort of medieval chisel to get all of one tooth out it was so impacted in there.

Anyway, everyone had horror stories for me, and it wasn't that bad. It hurt some, I had to watch what I ate for a few days. I took tylenol or advil or something and laid low for a few days, but I was in EXCRUCIATING pain with my teeth so it was a relief to get them out. I actually didn't realize how much pain I had been in until they were gone.

FYI I did this pre-childbirth and I still didn't think it was that bad ;)!

Good luck!

I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled at the same time under local anesthetic. The worst part for me was that the dental surgeon numbed my cheek a little too high up, which in turn numbed my eyelid. I couldn't blink with that eye for HOURS. :D The pain was not bad at all and I didn't even use anything stronger than regular Tylenol on the first day. I was pretty tired when I got home, though I was able to talk and laugh normally.

The second day I was able to eat softer things and drink just fine. By the third day everything was completely normal. The dentist warned me about "dry socket" and I had a minor freak-out moment where I thought I had it, but when I went in for him to check he said I didn't.

The one major inconvenience, besides the numbed cheek, was that I had an infant at home and wasn't allowed to lift over 5 lbs. for the first 48 hrs. My MIL came and took care of DS that second day so I didn't have to pick him up.

Edited by contessa20

I was 23ish when I had all four pulled at once. I DID get knocked out (it was out of pocket because my insurance didn't cover it but it was the best money I spent!).

Recovery wasn't bad. I had it done Friday and was back at work on Monday. I used the pain killers for one day then didn't need them anymore. The worst was when they had to change the gauze in the holes. I almost passed out sitting in the chair but I'm sooooo squeamish so that was the issue.

The one I'm having out is erupted. He said he may have to make a small cut in the gum since about 1/4 is still covered by the gum (that's what is causing me trouble now). Does that mean it's not "impacted?"

Impaction usually means they have not erupted and are under the gum and under your molars. But, even in an erupted wisdom, many times the roots can get twisted and can be difficult to reomove. Since your Dentist is only giving you a local, and may have to cut your gum, my guess is he doesn't feel it is bad enough to put you out. If he has to cut your gum though, you will be sore from that. I do hope he is an oral surgeon?

Mine were all sidewards under my molars. I had stitches in all 4 places. And back then they did not do dissolvable stitches.

Mine were impacted so choose to be put to sleep during the procedure. Took me about a week to be able to open my mouth wide to eat normally. Lots of liquids and soft foods for a week, tylenol and took it easy. Just had to remember to rinse out sockets after eating with nifty syringe they give you.

Same here. It's been 15 years and what I remember was pain. :scared: