Menu

Three things you love about your country

Please just state your own opinions - do not attack/argue with those of others.

This came up because Husband (born American, naturalised British) mentioned the three things he loves most about the UK:

- The BBC

- The National Health Service

- Attitude to religion: tolerant of difference and generally viewing it as a private matter, divorced from the political/legislative sphere

Laura

Universal health care.

The vast expanses of untouched nature.

CBC Radio.

Picking only three is hard! I also want to note the public secularism, but when I am out in the middle of miles and miles of unadulterated nature, everything else fades away.

Edited by Audrey

I think it's Walt Disney World.

This was a little hard because a lot of things I love about this country aren't exclusive to this country, but I'll try.

-I love that the few large cities I've lived are very diverse. I love that I can get homemade tortillas and tamales within walking distance, klobasnikys a drive down the highway, baklava from a Phoenician deli, and I don't have to look too hard for hot pot. And BBQ. And macarons.

-I love a Cajun accent

-I love, and I don't know how to exactly verbalize without it seemingly political or whatever, but I love watching this country grow. I love watching my daughter learn about the history of this country and discussing the future of politics and religion with her friends. I love how earnest and passionate they all are. They make me proud and hopeful.

- The BBC

- Attitude to religion: tolerant of difference and generally viewing it as a private matter, divorced from the political/legislative sphere.

:iagree: I also love the 'mildness' of religious feeling here. DH and the boys are very involved in our local Church of England church, whilst it is well known that I do not believe and am not at all interested in religion. I do, however, go along occasionally to help with special events, and I'm always given the warmest welcome. Nobody ever tries to 'convert' me, although one chap once took me aside to tell me that "belonging is more important than belief", and that for them I "belonged", which was sweet, I suppose.

:iagree: I also love the 'mildness' of religious feeling here. DH and the boys are very involved in our local Church of England church, whilst it is well known that I do not believe and am not at all interested in religion. I do, however, go along occasionally to help with special events, and I'm always given the warmest welcome. Nobody ever tries to 'convert' me, although one chap once took me aside to tell me that "belonging is more important than belief", and that for them I "belonged", which was sweet, I suppose.

In the village I lived in the Church of England and the Methodist Church took turns on who had the big Carole service every Christmas. We always felt very welcome in both churches.

Country I live in

Our voting system (Reps, Senators, and president (As opposed to MP and MP picks PM)

All the activities for children

House size

England

The Health System, especially for baby delivery

Dropping in on people (not having to call first)

The fun kid magazines

I like how spacious it is, and the rugged geology of the west.

I'm happy I speak English as a first language. It has made my life easier, I'm sure and I do love the language.

I like the fact my ancestors were brave, break away from the pack people who gave The New Land a whirl.

1. Our Constitution

2. Freedom to criticize the government and to try and change it

3. Variety of climates, topography

On a State level:

1. Homeschool laws

2. Access to variety of foods

3. Acces to variety of cultural experiences

This came up because Husband (born American, naturalised British) mentioned the three things he loves most about the UK:

- The BBC

- Attitude to religion: tolerant of difference and generally viewing it as a private matter, divorced from the political/legislative sphere

Laura

Those are three things I wish for my country.

Hmm....

Our interesting history

The National Parks System

And....um.....Hershey Chocolate?

astrid

Edited by astrid

- The BBC

Laura

:iagree:Those are things we love too. Because I can only have three...

1. National Health Care

2. Attitude toward both religion and politics. Private. It is so easy here. People are not campaigned to for months /years. Also when the party gets tired of the PM he goes-- no election needed. Much more effective.

3. Geographic/landscape diversity. Beautiful scenery all around. Fabulous historical sites too. The continent being highly accessible doesn't hurt either.

The value placed on people--I first noticed this when I realized the difference in how soldiers' war deaths here are reported here compared to my country of birth, but it's also seen in healthcare and other ways

The amazing diversity in geography, nature, people etc.--We have a house in a bustling city with many immigrants, languages, foods, etc. and a summer home in a very old community on the ocean.

I really only have these two right now, but they are big ones. :)

National health care.

Smarties

Tim Hortons

Spoken like a true Canadian! I especially like the fact that ice hockey was NOT on the list!!

My list:

- Canadian sense of humour and fairly easy-goingness = the willingness of Canadians to genuinely enjoy having a good laugh, often at themselves.

- Multicultural diversity is not forced into a "melting pot culture"

- Beautiful nature and parks