Menu

Three things you love about your country

Three things I love:

1. That I am allowed to whine, complain and mutter about my public officials (I'm looking at you local school board :glare:)

2. The incredible vast spaces and really awesome people. I have done several cross country drives and I always find new neat places and folks. Thinking about a mechanic in South Carolina that stayed open late to get my dd21 back on the road, and the fruit stand lady that told me all about the best place to get steaks in the next town (yum..she was right). :001_smile:

3. Affordable Care Act - and other social safety net programs. My dd21 can stay on my insurance after she leaves college, yay! My BIL with repeat skin cancer removals might be able to get insurance and actually keep up his required checks.

I am in the UK and I would say

1. Easy access to a good cup of tea

2. Beautiful countryside

3. People are generally private and keep themselves to themselves - agree with the mildness of religion thing and people generally respect each others right to an opinion.

Edited by lailasmum

1. The iconoclastic nature of American culture. It is acceptable to challenge and overthrow well established institutions. This creative destruction leads to an incredibly creative and dynamic society.

2. Respect for individualism. People are individuals first and foremost.

3. Our long traditon of Constitutional Republicanism.

1. The iconoclastic nature of American culture. It is acceptable to challenge and overthrow well established institutions. This creative destruction leads to an incredibly creative and dynamic society.

2. Respect for individualism. People are individuals first and foremost.

3. Our long traditon of Constitutional Republicanism.

:iagree: I can't say it any better, so I'll just quote you.

But, I'll also add the spirit of innovation. I realize this is not exclusive to the US, but the US medical system has given rise to some truly amazing medical innovations, technology, and treatments, without which three of my children would not be living today.

1) That we are a "we." There are so many cultures, individuals, likes/dislikes, beliefs and pretty much anything else you can name, but attack any one part (think Pearl Harbor or 9/11) and WE all pull together as one. Every exchange student I've talked with has brought this up, so I've pondered it a bit and really treasure it.

2) Not needing to bribe anyone for service or justice.

3) Free flowing, safe, water at pretty much every spigot.

Then, yeah, all the vast open spaces, National and State Parks, diversity, common language which also happens to be the main international language of today, the freedom to succeed (or fail) and all those other things others have brought up.

But if "I" had to name three I'd hate to give up, they'd be my top three. They probably make my top three because hubby and I have been contemplating what we want to do after our youngest leaves home and heading to other countries to assist with engineering and such things has been up there. With it comes all the "warnings" about how some of these places are incredibly different...

:iagree: I can't say it any better, so I'll just quote you.

But, I'll also add the spirit of innovation. I realize this is not exclusive to the US, but the US medical system has given rise to some truly amazing medical innovations, technology, and treatments, without which three of my children would not be living today.

After I posted, I was thinking about medical advances. Without them, I'd be dead or dying. The first generation drug for my condition was approved in 2001, I am on a second generation drug which was approved for front line treatment in 2010, a third generation drug is being reviewed by the FDA now, and another is in clinical trials. In some countries, only the first generation drug is available due to the high cost even though the second generation drugs have been proven to be more effective particularly for more advanced cases. My heart breaks when people from other countries post on the LLS boards that they are not doing well but don't have access to the other drugs. The DNA information to develop these drugs (targeted cancer therapy) became available from the Human Genome Project.

Universal health care.

The vast expanses of untouched nature.

CBC Radio.

Picking only three is hard! I also want to note the public secularism, but when I am out in the middle of miles and miles of unadulterated nature, everything else fades away.

:iagree:

Oooh - have to add a 5th... Mr. Dressup. :D I know he has since passed but he was an absolutely wonderful part of my childhood.

ETA: Impish mentioned Smarties so I'm adding a 6th - I love Smarties. :)

Edited by Dicentra

Being an American and having five children who are all from the former Soviet Union (Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan), I think my choices are colored by our visits there:

1) America works...our road system works, our infrastructure works, our government works. Oh, I know there are flaws, but it doesn't take a year and a half to get a phone installed in your home, we aren't driving on roads with "pot holes" as large as my minivan, and we aren't getting medical care with 1950's style xray equipment and re-used and who-knows-how-sterile hypodermic needles. For all our complaining, everything we need done gets done, and reasonably efficiently (and by many country's standards it would be incredibly effieciently!)

2) Freedom of Speech, for many of our other freedoms stem from that. I am not warned before going into any hotel room that it might be "bugged", I am not fearful of making a negative comment about someone in government, and I don't have to have my "Dear Leader's" photo staring back at me hanging on a wall in every room I enter.

3) Capitalism. It is not all evil, it works, and it is the main reason we have risen above many other countries in terms of quality of life. I do not believe capitalism alone will keep us there, but I am willing to acknowledge that it has advantages over other systems that allows us to continue to thrive, when it is properly applied.

Cindy

about Brazil (our home for the last 5 years and the foreseeable future):

-attitude towards children is beyond amazing

-the natural beauty and focus on preserving it

-the pretty prevalent kindness of Brazilians

I'll skip listing out for the US, as right now I need to focus on loving Brazil; it's a hard season at the moment and if I start listing what I love about the US it will be a "what I dislike about Brazil" list, which I do not need to do.

This came up because Husband (born American, naturalised British) mentioned the three things he loves most about the UK:

- The BBC

- The National Health Service

- Attitude to religion: tolerant of difference and generally viewing it as a private matter, divorced from the political/legislative sphere

I would love those three things if I were a USian in the UK!! My list exactly!

Please just state your own opinions - do not attack/argue with those of others.

This came up because Husband (born American, naturalised British) mentioned the three things he loves most about the UK:

- The BBC

- The National Health Service

- Attitude to religion: tolerant of difference and generally viewing it as a private matter, divorced from the political/legislative sphere

Laura

Country of Birth:

Individual freedom (increasingly, used to be) protected.

Anyone with a good idea can create a business

I know how to navigate in this area

1. The Christian principles it was founded on and the freedom that has brought.

2. Our Constitution and the freedom that has brought.

3. Capitalism and the freedom that has brought.

:iagree: My exact list, in the same order.

ETA: Keep thinking about whoever mentioned clean water, and I would have to say that is high up there, as well.

Edited by Guest

:iagree: My exact list, in the same order.

ETA: Keep thinking about whoever mentioned clean water, and I would have to say that is high up there, as well.

:lol: So true!! Everyone I ever hear from that goes to a third-world country comes back home saying that clean water, water that comes through faucets, and our amazing system of roads here in the U.S. are huge things to be thankful for!!

1. The Christian principles it was founded on and the freedom that has brought.

2. Our Constitution and the freedom that has brought.

3. Capitalism and the freedom that has brought.

:iagree:

1. Our Christian Heritage and History!

2. Our Declaration of Independence/Constitution/Bill of Rights - especially the freedom to worship freely without government interference; and the 2nd Ammendment - the freedom to bear arms!

3. The Beauty of our Nation - from Hawaii, to Alaska; from Seattle to Miami; from Texas to Maine - simply awe-inspiring!! Our National Parks are amazing!

Edited by icul8rg8r

Country where I live:

*universal healthcare & Plunkett nurses

*educational freedoms (public school, private school, homeschool, alternative education, etc.)

*wide variety of environmental beauty in a very small country (glaciers, fiords, rolling plains, alps, active volcanoes, subtropics, etc.)

Country of my birth:

*shopping

*our cultural heritage (what the Founding Fathers set out to achieve)

*my family

Edited by Deb in NZ

1. Pawn Wars (& hotel cable. lol I love regular people and their crazy personalities and dreams.)

2. Water that seems to agree with me: Hot water most anytime for a shower, cold water most anytime for drinking.

3. The immense environmental diversity. I have driven across the US (I've also travelled out -of-country quite a bit), and the amazing diversity and beauty *almost* makes one believe in a higher being. It's truly spectacular. I will never be religious (although I am interested and respectful) , but I've grown to understand why so many believed this land was a gift from a deity. (That the folks here already had their own religious beliefs notwithstanding.)

PS I am also partial to the 9th amendment. :) Also 1-5. Oh, and #14. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

1) America works...our road system works, our infrastructure works, our government works. Oh, I know there are flaws, but it doesn't take a year and a half to get a phone installed in your home, we aren't driving on roads with "pot holes" as large as my minivan, and we aren't getting medical care with 1950's style xray equipment and re-used and who-knows-how-sterile hypodermic needles. For all our complaining, everything we need done gets done, and reasonably efficiently (and by many country's standards it would be incredibly effieciently!)

I recently returned from Scandinavia and after having been in several European airports, I was so grateful to return to an American airport - even if it was Detroit! ;) As annoying as they can be (searches, body scans, "pat-downs", etc.) it was wonderful to see security and airport personnel EVERYWHERE, there to help you find what you need and where you need to go. And the service at the airport Mexican restaurant was incredible. They didn't run out of food. The waitress was clearly serving in such a manner that she would get a good tip (and she did). The cook actually brought out the supply box for a particular food so my friend could see the ingredients - she can't have gluten. It was good to be home! So I guess that's the extra thing I love about my country - the airports! :D