Menu

YIKES!!!!

Had an u/s today and there were TWO little hearts beating! I am feeling so shocked & still can't make myself believe it!

OH MY WORD!!! How am I going to do this??

Anyone have any favorite books on twin pregnancies & newborns. This totally throws off all my plans! Can I nurse twins? I'll be older this time (37). Do I need to do anything special to be healthier??

Advice is welcome!

:lol::willy_nilly:

That is great news! There is nothing more fun than twins:).

I did nurse mine. It wasn't easy, but I managed for 17 months. You will have more older kids to help! I mostly nursed mine one at a time. Basically, that is all I did for the first few months, though.

I have several friends with twins. They all swear by the book by Dr. Luke I think it is? They all went full term with their twins by following the advice in that book, which is pretty impressive. And their twins were all good size..over 6lbs each. I think some were over 7lbs.

As for nursing, yes, of course you can nurse them! Again, all my friends with twins nursed them. That's why you have two breasts! They swear by the twin version of the my breast friend pillow.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add: this is the book http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Expecting-Twins-Triplets-Quads/dp/0061803073

Had an u/s today and there were TWO little hearts beating! I am feeling so shocked & still can't make myself believe it!

Anyone have any favorite books on twin pregnancies & newborns. This totally throws off all my plans! Can I nurse twins? I'll be older this time (37). Do I need to do anything special to be healthier??

Advice is welcome!

Wow! Congratulations! I bet your other kids are excited!

Hee hee! I remember that moment. :D

It looks like you have some older kids so here is what I would do. Make sure your 2 oldest have a decent simple reportoir of meals they can cook. Post cleaning checklists in every room. Simplify wardrobes for the youngers. Take this time to make sure everyone knows how to do chores....and do them well. This is the time to build a lot of routine, and you have a decent excuse to already start making them step up even more. Start routine meal planning and simple shopping lists. :D

These are all things you are probably doing, but now is the time to begin fine tuning and oiling the machine that is your family.

Now, if all goes well with the pregnancy just know that you will have little memory of the first two weeks. Are you a night owl? Dh and I are opposites, he is a morning person and I am not. What worked best for us was having me stay up late with the babies (till 1 am) and then he would rise between 3 and 4 to do an early feeding, nap on couch, get ready for work, and another at around 7am, and I was able to sleep from about 1 am til 8 am. This is a stop gap measure to survive the first couple months.

Enjoy them! I miss that time very much :)

I nursed my twins. They were preemies, and my first kids, so it took us a while to get the hang of it, but after we did I managed to get them completely off formula (which I did end up needing while we got things started, but that was due to small preemie and some other medical issues, not twins per se) and nursed them to almost 1.5 yrs.

I didn't nurse them at the same time (except for some rare dual meltdowns), even though I'd had plans to. Too overstimulating! Although I know lots of people who have done it successfully - depends on the mom and babies. It actually would've been easier with older kids around that could've helped out...

Oh - and congratulations!! :D :grouphug: :party:

Edited by matroyshka

Congrats! The older kids will be GREAT help for you, and like a previous poster said, make sure they know how to cook. You also have enough time to devote to teaching them to do chores without you so when the babies arrive, they'll be able to keep things running.

Wow- congrats!

Yay! I remember that moment!!!!

I will give you one piece of advice. DO NOT listen to all of the bad news twin birth stories. It seems to be all there is about twin births. :glare:

I had mine at 36 weeks, both were such good weight I was able to take them home right away and they never had RSV or anything like that. Not even a NICU night.

Nurse them at the same time. To do otherwise is to never get off the couch.

Eat lots of good protein. I lived off whey isolate powder in the last few months because everything gave me heartburn. I will swear that it is what made them such healthy weights with no problems.

:grouphug: You can do it!!

Congratulations! :D:D

I second the recommendation of the Dr. Luke book. My twins and I did not get nursing down, but I have a good handful of friends who did do so. I know it can be done! I carried to 36 weeks, and brought my baby boy home with me right away. My baby girl was a smidge and needed some time in NICU. Having twins is a wild ride, but it's one I woudln't trade for the world!

:party:Congrats!!

My little brothers were twins. My mom had them at 32 weeks, and they were small, but perfectly healthy. She delivered them naturally after having had 2 c-sections and nursed both of them until they were almost 2. I know the one didn't have a good sucking reflex at first, but she pumped until he was able. She never nursed at the same time. She got them onto alternating schedules so that she could spend one on one time with each baby. They were both healthy, vibrant boys. I spent much of my time chasing after them and teaching them. I'm almost jealous.:D

Edited by Dory

Advice is welcome!

Wow, you are quite the quiver-filler, aren't you? ;)

Congratulations! That's awesome. I always wanted twins...

Advice is welcome!

:DWelcome to the club!:D No favorite books. If you nursed a single, you can most likely nurse double! No special care needed. Well, maybe don't vaccuum.:D:D My only suggestion would be to try to be able to take a little down time when you have the babies. My own experience was that tiny infanthood was very hectic. (Of course, I had no helpful hands around! Just an almost 2 yo.) BUT, once they were a smidge older they made things much easier than a single baby. They truly kept each other happy. I came to the conclusion that everyone baby should be twins.:D

Congratulations!

I nursed my twins for ten months. They self-weaned. I did not tandem nurse. I disliked it extremely.

They are turning one on Friday.

It has been a beautiful year.

My first sight of our twins was their beautiful heads. Two beautiful heads coming into view on ultrasound.

You can do it!!!

Rebecca

Congratulations! :)

I remember the shock when we found out ours were twins (I actually thought initially that our baby had 2 heads!) - you can do it! Not gonna lie, it's a lot of work, especially in the beginning, but (and I know you already know this) it's more fun than you thought and worth every precious day!

I love hearing about new twins coming!

Edit: Re: nursing - I nursed ours for 14 months; we supplemented (both with solid food and some formula, too) from around 6 months on - I just couldn't keep up around 5-6 months. I never nursed them together (because I hated it).

OMGosh! How cool that you're having twins :)

You can nurse twins. I haven't HAD twins, so I have no first hand experience, but I have read about it in some of my baby books. I think some people may supplement but I don't think everyone *has* to.

Congratulations!!

I had my twins at 37yo, with a 1yo and a 3yo at home :willy_nilly:

I even had to be induced at 39wks cause they did not want to come out! (you know that 36wks is considered full term for twins)

I will admit that that first year was kind of a blur, but we made it through and even had some fun :) I tried nursing both of them and I know that it can be done, but I struggled. I ended up doing a combination of nursing and pumping and taking turns with them. It also gave my dh a chance to help feed the babies. It is true that as they enter toddler hood they will keep each other entertained.

They really are a joy!

Oh, and one friend had her twins when she was induced at 38 weeks (she is only 90lbs not pregnant and had pubic synthesis with all her pregnancies...so by that point, with 13 pounds of babies in her she couldn't walk anymore). The other friend had her twins at 40 weeks! Both followed that book I linked earlier.