Menu

Another question from me, does the man in your house

I have been deeply contemplating cultural and religious things around me, so bear with me. I truly don't want any of these threads to get out of hand. I don't know enough people to get a wide sampling in real life. ;)

Call himself "the man of the house" or "the head of the house?"

When does he refer to himself this way? For example, is it in response to some situation?

Do you call yourself "the woman of the house" or something else?

Also, if you feel comfortable posting your religious views, please do so. Please do not feel you must to participate. It's just part of my survey.

Edited by nestof3

neither. He's just John.

I do call him "Sir" or "Captain" (Pirate jokes) and when he gets a new crown for his poor teeth, I call him "Your Majesty."

But I do consider him to be head of the household. Says so on our tax forms. :lol:

ETA: we refer to him as "head of house" when asked... it;s rarely something we bring up in a discussion.

He is just called Rob, dad, honey, or husband. I'm Deanna, mom, wife, honey, etc. We were Protestants, the younger kids and I just converted to Orthodoxy, he didn't but is now potentially interested in doing so. He had a nominal Lutheran upbringing and I had no religious upbringing.:)

Nope. Sometimes I call him honey, hubby, or when I am really feeling obnoxious, "Husband" (In an accent). Sometimes I call him a more creative word for butt, all in good fun. Mormon until mid 20s.... and now atheist.

He called me "the old lady" ONCE. And he never will again :auto:

Dh is the head of our home, but I have never heard him call himself that. It's a servant position, not a boastful, overlord one. I call him by his name (or various nicknames :D) and he calls me by my name. I have never heard of anyone being called the woman of the house, except when someone is quoting The Quiet Man :lol:

I think on some forms the term head of household has been used, but other than that, it really doesn't come up.

We are only ever called "man" or "woman" of the house when some stranger calls on the phone, and that hasn't happened for a long time. :)

I call him by name or pet name. He does the same.

We're both atheist.

My parents never use those terms either and both are Methodist.

No, dh has never used this terminology. :glare:

We have an understanding that he is the spiritual head of our household, meaning it is his responsibility to ensure we all have a proper religious education and to lead us in family worship. He is also the breadwinner, tasked with supporting our family financially. These are both tenets of our faith (we are Muslim).

However, we make all of our decisions mutually, through consultation and compromise. He doesn't even make a purchase over $100 without running it by me (probably since I manage the finances). When asked to make a decision, he regularly replies that he has to ask "The Boss" first. If the other party misunderstands and doesn't realize he's referring to me, he clarifies, "No, the Big Boss!" :D

My great-grandfather had a plaque on his kitchen wall (still there 15 years after his wife died) that read:

"I'm the king of my castle,

and I have my wife's permission to say so."

Dh loves this, and quotes it often. ;)

Dh is the head of our home, but I have never heard him call himself that. It's a servant position, not a boastful, overlord one. I call him by his name (or various nicknames :D) and he calls me by my name. I have never heard of anyone being called the woman of the house, except when someone is quoting The Quiet Man :lol:

I think on some forms the term head of household has been used, but other than that, it really doesn't come up.

:iagree:

No, except for telemarketers. We either call each other "honey", or by name, or refer to each other as mom, dad, or by name, depending on who we're speaking with.

I do, in print, refer to him as The Husband, but that's mostly because I tend to avoid the dh, dd, ds terms and it seems weird to refer to him as "the 42yo", as I do the children.

I'm a liberal Catholic with agnostic upbringing, he's undeclared/agnostic with the same.

My dh is the man of the house and I am the lady of the house for purposes of solicitors (phone and door.)

He is the head of the household for tax purposes.

I call him honey and he calls me mama.

I am 39, he is 40.

We are Episcopal.

(And I love the king of the castle, wife's permission thing!! :lol: )

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No. (Not a mocking laugh, just the thought of anyone thinking that about MY house. It's so, soooooooo not the case here.)

We're LDS. 98% of the time, I'm running things. I turn it over to him for fixing things (and he usually calls his mechanic-y/computer-y friend to come help him). He's got his own "things" that I don't mess with, his own interests and whatnot, but if it's a family or household thing, it's my call 98% of the time.

None of the above. He's "honey", "Mark", "Daddy", but that's all. Sure, the buck stops with him, and he takes that role seriously, but not in a "power hungry" way, rather than in a "I'm responsible for the health and well-being of my family" way. He's a good man.

We're conservative Christians.

Nope, never used that term for either of us :) Although (as I said in your other post) he is- in my opinion- the head of our home.

We are both in our early 30's

Christians (believers in Christ, what He did and what He said He will do)

No. We've only been married a few months, but there is no "man of the house" or "woman of the house". But before we were married, we did refer to my oldest son as the "man of the house".

We're agnostic/atheist.

No, and not religious.

When DH is asked a question he says "let me refer you to my boss." :lol:

My dad used to say that about my mom, too. :)

We are Christians. We are partners in our marriage. We make decisions together. We strive for unity in all matters.

I also have a more dominant personality and I'm kind of bossy naturally. It works for us.

I have always sort of thought that a "head-of-the-house" is not much of a leader if he has to go around announcing his title. :)

Edited by Princess Peach

When does he refer to himself this way? For example, is it in response to some situation?

No -- neither of us ever says anything like that.

None of the above. He's "honey", "Mark", "Daddy", but that's all. Sure, the buck stops with him, and he takes that role seriously, but not in a "power hungry" way, rather than in a "I'm responsible for the health and well-being of my family" way. He's a good man.

We're conservative Christians.

This. Except he's not Mark. :001_smile:

I have been deeply contemplating cultural and religious things around me, so bear with me. I truly don't want any of these threads to get out of hand. I don't know enough people to get a wide sampling in real life. ;)

Also, if you feel comfortable posting your religious views, please do so. Please do not feel you must to participate. It's just part of my survey.

I have heard dh refer to himself as the head of house, but not in a commandering way. The few times I have heard it was as the reason behind his need to be responsible for certain things - like bearing most of the financial burden or the religious training of the kids or for being responsible for setting the tone and example in the family. But that is all. And I think he has said it maybe 10 time in the last 16 years.

We make decisions together, we plan together, we respect each other. He helps with the laundry and dishes while I mow the grass :D

Sometimes if my son is being a pain I will send him to his dad with the remark, "Your dad is the head of the family. I will let him make this decision. " LOL

Well, it is discussed sometimes with the young boys that Daddy is the head of the house. Perhaps when we're needing to remind them that they need to obey, or what have you.

Yes, my husband is indeed the head of the house, and we all know it. IMO, that's the way it should be.

No, I don't think in our 18 years we've ever referred to ourselves as such.

We're now fully Catholic (as opposed to just Dh before).