Menu

What three subjects are most important your family?

What are your three top emphases in your children's education?  

1. 1. What are your three top emphases in your children's education?

• visual arts
    • drama
    • music or dance
    • sports (individual or team)
    • mathematics
    • science
    • history
    • Latin or other ancient languages
    • modern foreign languages
    • language arts (grammar, literature, writing, etc.)

I realize individual children as they mature may develop areas of focus of their own, but as a parent what is most important to you to teach your children? This is a multiple-response poll, please pick just three areas of study that you emphasize most in your home.

(Sorry no room for an other option, but if one or more of your top three choices doesn't show up in the list vote for any that do and just list the others in the comments).

ETA: I realize that many families may list religion or character training as top priority, let's just take that as a given and list what comes next.

Edited by thegardener

I have a history degree and would vote LA, math, and history. My DH (an engineer) would vote LA, math, and science. I voted MY preference.:lol:

Of course! That's the great thing about running my homeschool--I get to do what matters most to ME.

Probably LA, maths and history here.

Dd wants to choose a science career, but we weren't so good about that when we hs'd, except to say she had time in nature, which led to her interest in birds (and the fact that we live in a nature-y setting in the middle of a suburb).

I see reading and writing as so important, bc they lead to other learning; it's the way of learning the stories of our culture and other cultures, and a vehicle for expression. Analyzing lit and history are primary learning areas for us for high school, providing a window into the thoughts and feelings and experiences of others, of humans we can't meet and experiences we can't have.

Math is another language, another way of expressing the Creation and Imagination. It's my hope that dd will get to the point of Rhetoric learning here--that she will be able to "speak" the language of mathematics in such a way that she can both "hear" the Masters and join in the mathematical Great Conversation. It's rare to reach that level, and I never did, but I hope she will.

For me: reading, then history, and then grammar/writing. Math/Science are also important, but I think if they have reading they can learn anything, if they have history, perhaps they will understand the past to better prepare for the future, and with grammar/writing they learn the skills to communicate with others effectively.

For us, the third option would be different from child to child. I voted math and English since those are the only two that are the same for all four children.

ETA: Third options:

dd14 - Latin

dd12 - music

dd8 - sports

ds7 - history

Edited by Melissa B

I voted for the top 3 right now, today, with kids this age. But I would've voted differently when they were younger.

I never spent much time on actual science curriculum when the kids were in elementary school. Back then we were pretty active with various pursuits that filled that niche, such as gardening. Now that they're older I spend quite a bit of time researching and implementing science programs.

Absolutely fascinating.

I suspect that many ps parents would list sports as high on the list.

I do not denigrate the importance of sports but was both interested and rather pleased to see that for most hsers the intellectual pursuits take precedence.

For the personal interests of my kids, DH, and myself: history. DH and I both have big interests in history, and we ended up with a couple of small history geeks. We tend to gravitate toward historic sites for field trips and such. So everything tends to relate to history -- geography, literature, fine arts, even writing to a degree (easier to get a reluctant writer to write about something she likes, like a favorite historic era). History is the "hook" at our house.

However, in terms of skills, I feel that decent reading and basic math skills are also important. Whatever history, science, art, etc. you don't know, you can learn about as an adult -- if you've learned to read. And everyone needs some basic math skills. I do feel that most people will indeed learn reasonable reading and math computation skills through real life, though, so I don't necessarily spend gobs more time on them than on other things.

I have one child for whom foreign languages are a huge draw (and I am the same way, actually). Right now, she still needs practice and exposure in the basics of history, science, math, etc., but eventually, I can see her minimizing some subjects in order to focus more on languages. She may not need to take calculus, for instance. Otoh, another child seems to be math-oriented, so maybe he'll take only basic history and languages and will want challenging math courses. There *are* only so many hours in the day.

ETA: I would like music or art to be bigger focuses, but they're not really mine or DH's strong suits, and finances are preventing outside instruction in them right now. So we do do a bit, and I do feel that our children have had more exposure to artists and composers than we did, but I wouldn't say that they drive our school days. Nor do sports; we focus more on what I would call "life fitness" -- hiking, walks, swimming, bike-riding, just generally being active and happy outside. I would eventually like them to learn the basics of team sports and such, but in the long run, if they have positive feelings and can fall back on individual fitness activities, I am okay with that.

And science is a whole different ballgame. I hate most science stuff. DH is definitely good at nurturing their interest in science-y things, and they do know a lot about the natural world (DD knows FAR more about plants than I do -- largely due to her interest in history, so that she has learned how plants were used medicinally and such). I do feel that I've compensated fairly well for my lack of interest in science, so that I've passed on better to my children. :)

Edited by happypamama

Wow! That was a hard list from which to choose only 3.

In the end, I went with Math, Science and Visual Arts at this point in time. But other than Ancient Languages, we pretty much do all of them regularly.

I chose LA, math, and modern languages. last year I would have chosen ancient languages, but ds has decided he wants modern languages for high school.

Another one not listed is logic/philosophy. Ds enjoys logic and philosophy. At nearly 15, his favorite question is still why?

These are the three that get the most time per day. The order listed is the amount of time spent per day, not necessarily in order of importance. Luckily, there is plenty of time in the day to fit in other subjects.

Oldest: Tennis, science, math

Middle: Tennis, LA, math

Youngest: LA, Math, Tennis

It's interesting to me to see that I am a bit of an outlier. Math is a priority here, and is obviously among the top priorities for many--I see math as a crucial language and skill that opens the doors to many types of learning. The other skills that get priority around here are less popular: music and modern foreign languages. Again, this are languages and skill areas that require lots of attention to be developed well. This poll is making me think about why some other things aren't at the top of my list, especially language arts. I have always been a voracious reader, and other language skills such as writing have generally come naturally to me. I wonder if I am assuming too much in thinking my children will also develop them naturally?

It's interesting to me to see that I am a bit of an outlier. Math is a priority here, and is obviously among the top priorities for many--I see math as a crucial language and skill that opens the doors to many types of learning. The other skills that get priority around here are less popular: music and modern foreign languages.

This has happened here too. Although I have not considered foreign languages and music to have a higher priority than LA, science, or history, they probably have equal priority. And I wonder why I feel burned out sometimes. :tongue_smilie:

Music has been ramping down the past couple of years - the chorus we were in for 7 years disbanded. All 3 still play instruments, and one's in an orchestra, but as they get older it requires less attention from me.

I'm having a hard time picking three - I get to math, foreign languages, and then... what's third? LA? Science? History? Okay, I think I'll have to say LA if I have to pick among those three. Science and history are important here too, though.

For me it would be LA, Math and History.

For DH- Math, Science and LA (though modern foreign languages are a very close 4th)

Then we take in the kids interests and we have..

12yo- LA, Artsy stuff (music, drama, art) and Science

10yo- Science, History, LA

8yo- Math, Science, LA

6yo- LA, Math, History

LA and Math.

After that, I want them to receive a broad education, which includes most of what you listed.

While I wouldn't say that sports are a subject, we do devote a lot of time to them. My 2 youngest are athletes. They both swim, ds plays baseball and dd dances. We allow those activities to be priorities because they are areas of talent and passion. If I was designing a school, I definitely would not list sports as a top 3 priority, but when I think of my kids, it is for them.

For my oldest (who is in private school), my 3rd priority would be visual arts.

While I wouldn't say that sports are a subject, we do devote a lot of time to them.

I agree, I voted for math, LA and foreign language because those are the areas we need to get to everyday in order to build skills. We do spend a lot of time in music and sports, but those are all extracurricular classes. We're obligated to show up for orchestra, chorus, and sports practices and TKD and dance classes. It's not that they're more essential, it's that we have obligations to other performers and team mates to put in our family's best effort.

I selected Math, Language Arts, and Science and my husband would concur with those choices. My son always assumed he would become an engineer like his father so those choices made the most sense, but as a rising 10th grader he is just now thinking he might want to teach English! Looking back his favorite subjects have always been History and Language Arts! In reality the split was pretty even between Science and History.

The two most important are math and language arts; however, the third choice would depend on which subject area the child is most interested.

DC1 - math, language arts, music

DC2 - math, language arts, (maybe) science. Don't know yet for this son. He prefers video games and all things having to do with cars. He does have a natural affinity to animal science, though.

DC3 - math, language arts, science or music or dance or maybe even history. This little girl enjoys learning, is highly motivated, and is high achieving. Soooo NOT like my sons. :glare:

I voted LA, Math, and history (in that order) but Bible would have been #1 if it were there. ;)

Interesting how some say they put the most important based on time spent. That doesn't necessarily work here. I do place time in "school" on those three more so than anything else, but honestly, dd spends more time at gymnastics than any subject per week . . . goodness, dd spends more time at the gym than some kids her age spend doing "school" in a week. She loves it, and we prioritize it, but sports is certainly not most important.

We are Bible, Reading (early)/Ability to Absorb and Process Information (after reading), and Math.

In almost every subject, the information is out there what has to be taught is the ability to take in the information and manipulate it to gain knowledge. Math stands alone only because it's "language" for taking in information is different.

Math #1, not negotiable! :D

Science and Reading/English with the ability to read at a very high comprehension level trumping science, but some aspects of English NOT trumping science. They kind of equal each other out.

Faith

I agree (almost) completely.

Math is our number one and what we spend the most time on.

Science comes next but reading comprehension somewhat ties for second - but language arts (writing and grammar) rate lower on our priority list (but still a solid third place on the priority scale) than science.

I would say:

Math

Science and Reading Comprehension

Other Language Arts (grammar and Writing)

ETA: I think visual arts ties for third (possibly even trumps it) for our dyslexic 10 year old. She flourishes in the visual arts and since writing and grammar will never become easy or enjoyable for her, we hope to place more of an emphasis (while still, of course, working diligently on her language arts skills) on visual arts this next year; even if it means spending less time on spelling, writing, and grammar.

Our #1 priority for the children is developing good oral and written communication skills. I voted for Language Arts and Math. I guess the third area of importance would depend upon the child.

:iagree:So I checked several boxes: math, LA, science, history, languages.:001_smile:

This was hard for me, but I finally settled on:

1. language arts

2. mathematics

3. history

I would also insist on Latin and science, at a minimum. I chose my answers based on which subjects could be used to form the most well-rounded education. I can use language arts to teach Latin and other languages. I can use math to teach some science. And I can use history to teach everything else. :D

My children are all elementary age. At this stage, I make math, history, and language arts our top priorities.

However, as they transition into middle and high school, I expect that to change to math, foreign language, and science. Depending on each child's goals, music may bump one of those to a lower priority, but it's too soon to decide. (The others will still be important, of course, but academics will likely be prioritized differently.)

Cat

Math, Language Arts (Reading with comprehension), History. Fourth would be Science.

I think focus on individual fitness is more important than team sports. DH and were both big into sports in school but we both struggle with maintaining a schedule for individual fitness now that we don't participate in team sports.

Art and music are important, but can be pursued outside of "school", if necessary, depending on where each individual's interests lay. Exposure to these subjects is my goal for "school time".

Math, LA, and I voted History ... although I think art, music, history and science are all very important ... probably Latin is good to know ... I think foreign languages are also important but I suppose my top pick is history (after Math and LA).

I cheated and voted for four.

My list:

1. Language arts and math

2. History and science

I think you *need* a basic understanding of all four. You cannot communicate effectively without a good grounding in LA. You cannot build a table, figure out how much money someone owes you, calculate which cell phone plan is best for you or cut a recipe in half without some decent math knowledge.

History and science are number two because you need a decent grasp of LA and math in order to tackle history and science.

Eta: at least some of my kids do everything on the list. ;)