Menu

Sigh relative wants to cut off contact because of late thank-you notes...

We had a horrific December and January. Crazy schedule, running a family member out-of-state weekly (including the day after Christmas) for treatment. I work and homeschool, so life is nuts as it is.

Yesterday I get a letter breaking off contact because we didn't call and our Christmas thank-you notes were late. I actually mailed them the same day that the individual mailed their letter, so they've received them.

Sigh. Later today I'll send them an email to the effect that if they want to do this, that is fine. If our relationship is based on thank-you notes, it wasn't much to begin with.

Aren't relationships lovely?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!:grouphug:

If my family members did that, I would habe no family to spend time with! We don't write thank you notes for Christmas or birthdays and honestly half my wedding notes never made it in the mail because my mom had the addresses and I could not get them for six months after the wedding.

I hope they change their mind, but you are right in what you said. If the relartionship is based on thank you notes, it was not much to begin with.

We had a horrific December and January. Crazy schedule, running a family member out-of-state weekly (including the day after Christmas) for treatment. I work and homeschool, so life is nuts as it is.

Yesterday I get a letter breaking off contact because we didn't call and our Christmas thank-you notes were late. I actually mailed them the same day that the individual mailed their letter, so they've received them.

Sigh. Later today I'll send them an email to the effect that if they want to do this, that is fine. If our relationship is based on thank-you notes, it wasn't much to begin with.

Truly unbelievable! That is ridiculous.

Whoa - it's one thing to tell you that acknowledgment of gifts would be nice, but to cut off contact completely? That's pretty extreme. How close are you to this person?

If you end up staying in touch with this person, I'd suggest she doesn't send gifts any more.

I am a person who at least likes acknowledgment of a mailed gift (even an e-mail that says - we got your gift. Thanks). So I can understand being annoyed. But cutting of contact completely is way extreme, so I think you're response was appropriate.

I had that happen. For not sending a thank you note for a single onesie given after my twins were born. I was lucky to feed myself during those early months of infant twins. Forget about writing thank you notes. And when my mother stuck up for me, her brother cut off contact with her too. Seriously.

It turned me off to thank you notes in general, I have to say. I kind of don't believe in them as a result of that experience.

Whoa - it's one thing to tell you that acknowledgment of gifts would be nice, but to cut off contact completely? That's pretty extreme. How close are you to this person?

If you end up staying in touch with this person, I'd suggest she doesn't send gifts any more.

I am a person who at least likes acknowledgment of a mailed gift (even an e-mail that says - we got your gift. Thanks). So I can understand being annoyed. But cutting of contact completely is way extreme, so I think you're response was appropriate.

My family is "off," but I thought I was OK with this person. We chatted several times before Christmas to confirm receipt of gifts, and they even asked me to send a check versus my usual gift because they wanted something local that I couldn't send. I let them know that we were going to be out of town a lot with medical issues.

The letter even made comments to the effect that their work with the homeless was so much more fulfilling than spending time getting gifts for ungrateful relatives.

I'm sure that there is more behind all of this, but I'm all about openness and boundaries. So yes, I'll tell them to skip the gifts from now on, and leave it up to them to contact me.

Ugh, pet peeve! You don't give gifts because you want something, even a thank you, in return. I'd rather have nothing than receive a gift with strings attached.

I'd write a very nice letter agreeing with the loon. 'You are right. This relationship is toxic. It is best to make a clean break. I wish you well in life."

Ugh, pet peeve! You don't give gifts because you want something, even a thank you, in return. I'd rather have nothing than receive a gift with strings attached.

I'd write a very nice letter agreeing with the loon. 'You are right. This relationship is toxic. It is best to make a clean break. I wish you well in life."

:iagree:

Ridiculous. Suspect it is way more than you not sending a TY note, frankly. After deep breaths, I think I would simply not engage this person and ignore the email/note since things would only escalate from here. After all, they are trying to push your buttons for their own gain, or so it seems. People can be so infuriatingly dumb.

First off, it sounds like your relative maybe was LOOKING for an excuse to break off contact. That, or they're kinda crazy.

Second, I see much talk on this forum about thank you cards. We don't do 'em for 'normal' gifts. I mean, the boys only have one or two relatives that send them gifts, and those get a thank you phone call, email, or text; usually a phone call.

People who give a gift in person get thanked right there. Easy peasy.

Maybe I'm creating socail deviants, LOL, but my boys have never written a thank you note. I mean, for my bridal shower, wedding, and baby shower, sure. But other than that, I think a verbal thank you is sufficient.

Oh, and I've NEVER received a thank you card for a gift I gave in person that was opened right there. Maybe once or twice, and niece or nephew had a birthday party that 'ran long', and they weren't able to open gifts with everyone there to see. THEN I'd get a card. But that's about it. And frankly, if I was already thanked, I'd find it sweet to get a card, but very unnecessary.

Plus, no one should EVER expect a thank you when giving a gift. That's not why we give. Yes, it's bad manners not to receive a gift graciously. But that's not my concern if I'm the giver, ya know?

-Bethany

(who apparently has more strong feelings about this than she realized, LOL)

Ridiculous. Suspect it is way more than you not sending a TY note, frankly. After deep breaths, I think I would simply not engage this person and ignore the email/note since things would only escalate from here. After all, they are trying to push your buttons for their own gain, or so it seems. People can be so infuriatingly dumb.

:iagree: I would suspect the person may be mentally ill. This actually brings back fond memories of my MIL, who complains if we don't write a thank you note for every thing she ever does, but has never written one note to us for any gift we've ever given her. Amazing, just amazing.

Lisa

:grouphug: wow. sounds like this person needs to get a life. I had a family member like that - my life was much easier when contact was seriously restricted.

I didn't know I was supposed to send thank-you notes at Christmas. I have never in my life done so. For birthdays we acknowledge with a call and verbal thank you. We do send thank-you notes if we have a party though. Baby shower gifts, Bridal gifts, etc. all received thank you notes. Anything given to me after the baby was born received a verbal thank you with just a few exceptions when they were sent in the mail from relatives we don't have much contact with.

This is easy! Buhh, bye!!

That person is mentally ill. I feel sorry for him/her.

Of course it's important to acknowledge gifts, and it's nice if you can keep family reasonably aware of the fact that you're going through a tough time (and might not get to everything as promptly as normal). But sometimes you can't. A normal, sane person would understand that. I especially can't imagine them acting like this after you sent them a gift they wanted.

FTR, I never send thank you snail-mail for Christmas or birthdays. I will do my best to let the person know that the gift was appreciated, either right there at the time it's given or via email or phone call afterward. If this has caused some people to cut me off, I haven't noticed their absence.

IMHO, when you receive a gift from someone, it is rude to delay (or neglect) sending a thank you note (not that I always send them promptly myself Ă¢â‚¬â€œ but I think I am rude when I do not). But when you give a gift, it is also rude to expect any note in response, much less to count the days.

So, while I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think their response is appropriate, you said yourself that your thank-you notes were late (which is also inappropriate). If I were you, I would handle their rebuke humbly and graciously, and practice peace. While on the one hand I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t let myself get walked on or manipulated, I also donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t allow other peopleĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s inappropriate responses to ruffle my feathers and make me respond in kind (which I think any kind of snarky response would be). Be in control of your own response, donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t just be reactive to the other person.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d write a note asking their forgiveness. Do not offer any excuses, and do not say anything snarky. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d send something like this:

Dear so-and-so,

Thank you for your recent letter. You are correct that our Christmas thank you notes were quite late. I am sorry, and am appropriately humbled by your rebuke. In fact, I thank you for it, as it will spur me to be a better parent by more faithfully teaching my children to show appreciation for what they are given. Will you please forgive us?

We are sad that you want to cut off contact with us, and we hope that you will reconsider.

Blessings,

<us>

No idea whether you are a Christian, but here are a few verses I would meditate on while contemplating your response:

Romans 12:17-21

17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s wrath, for it is written: Ă¢â‚¬Å“It is mine to avenge; I will repay,Ă¢â‚¬ says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:

Ă¢â‚¬Å“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;

if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.

In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.Ă¢â‚¬

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Proverbs 27:6

Faithful are the wounds of a friend,

But deceitful are the kisses of an enemy.

Proverbs 19:20

Listen to advice and accept discipline,

and at the end you will be counted among the wise.

1 Peter 3:8-18

8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. 9 Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. 10 For,

Ă¢â‚¬Å“Whoever would love life

and see good days

must keep their tongue from evil

and their lips from deceitful speech.

11 They must turn from evil and do good;

they must seek peace and pursue it.

12 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous

and his ears are attentive to their prayer,

but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.Ă¢â‚¬

13 Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14 But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. Ă¢â‚¬Å“Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened.Ă¢â‚¬

:iagree:

That is just a nutty response to not receiving a thank-you in time. Frankly, in this day and age they should be glad to get a thank-you at all (long lost nicety in my circles.)

While on the one hand I don’t let myself get walked on or manipulated, I also don’t allow other people’s inappropriate responses to ruffle my feathers and make me respond in kind (which I think any kind of snarky response would be). Be in control of your own response, don’t just be reactive to the other person.

I’d write a note asking their forgiveness. Do not offer any excuses, and do not say anything snarky. I’d send something like this:

Dear so-and-so,

Thank you for your recent letter. You are correct that our Christmas thank you notes were quite late. I am sorry, and am appropriately humbled by your rebuke. In fact, I thank you for it, as it will spur me to be a better parent by more faithfully teaching my children to show appreciation for what they are given. Will you please forgive us?

We are sad that you want to cut off contact with us, and we hope that you will reconsider.

Blessings,

<us>

I would agree with this except for the parts about (a) making no excuses (I'd make brief reference to the hard stuff that's been keeping you busy) and (b) regretting cutting off contact and asking them to reconsider. Asking them to reconsider after being cast off (for such an insubstantial reason) is basically lying down and asking them to stomp on your faces again, IMO. That's giving them more power. I'd say "I hope you'll forgive us and we wish you the best for the future." Period.

ETA: On second thought, I agree with those who say don't respond at all. Put your energies into things that can create more positive energy.

Edited by SKL

:iagree:. I wouldn't engage them in conversation over it. Sounds like someone that's looking for drama and a trying to cause trouble. Ignore them. Either they'll get over it or you'll be glad to know what kind of person they actually are.

I would agree with this except for the parts about (a) making no excuses (I'd make brief reference to the hard stuff that's been keeping you busy) and (b) regretting cutting off contact and asking them to reconsider. Asking them to reconsider after being cast off (for such an insubstantial reason) is basically lying down and asking them to stomp on your faces again, IMO. That's giving them more power. I'd say "I hope you'll forgive us and we wish you the best for the future." Period.

I agree with this mostly. Although, I just feel like thank you notes are not a do or die thing. So not sure if forgiveness is even something that needs to be asked for.

Gosh, it's one thing to think it, but to say something like that to you? Crazy. Yes, it must be one of those relationships that are best let go. I hope they aren't related too closely? (Grandparents or something... that would be TOUGH).

Most people I know don't write thank you notes at all. I try to, but the last few years we have been lax. I still have Christmas thank you notes sitting on my table, waiting for me to have time and energy to get to them. When others in the family don't write them, it's so easy to let it go.

Just so you know-- some people are sending thank you notes out even later than you did! I think people ought to be glad to get anything beyond a verbal thank you. Written thank you notes just aren't "in style" these days.

:grouphug:

I send thank you notes and appreciate thank you notes in return. To me, esp. in situations where there is no other contact like e-mails, phone calls, visits etc. (which happens sometimes with extended family) then the thank you note is the only thing that gives me any clue that they received my gift. But - if I've had contact with the person in other ways and know that they are busy, still appreciate me, etc. then that "counts" too, if that makes sense. I have quietly stopped sending gifts to a couple of relatives who had a sense of entitlement and no gratitude ("What? That's all you got me?!") but still maintain other kinds of contact. My point is that I think that thank you notes can have a place in a healthy social relationship but are not the main indicator of a healthy social relationship.

I used to do thank you notes, I think they're a good way of maintaining and developing a relationship with people who you might not see that often. I also like receiving thank you notes. Just the fact that someone cares enough to send a letter, and to hear how they are, can make my day. I certainly don't think any the worse of a person who doesn't send a thank you letter though.

The people who would be most likely to expect a thank you letter from us these days, however, are people I really wish wouldn't give us presents at all. So, I don't do the thank you letters, and hope the gifts stop. If they broke off all contact with us, that would be a bonus :D.

I do believe that some families have more of a 'culture' of sending thank you letters than others. I know some people who consider it the most terribly rude insult if they don't receive a thank you letter.

Cassy

:grouphug: I'm having my own yucky relationship issues...I'm ready to go back to Germany. :grouphug::grouphug:

IMHO, when you receive a gift from someone, it is rude to delay (or neglect) sending a thank you note (not that I always send them promptly myself Ă¢â‚¬â€œ but I think I am rude when I do not). But when you give a gift, it is also rude to expect any note in response, much less to count the days.

So, while I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think their response is appropriate, you said yourself that your thank-you notes were late (which is also inappropriate). If I were you, I would handle their rebuke humbly and graciously, and practice peace. While on the one hand I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t let myself get walked on or manipulated, I also donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t allow other peopleĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s inappropriate responses to ruffle my feathers and make me respond in kind (which I think any kind of snarky response would be). Be in control of your own response, donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t just be reactive to the other person.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d write a note asking their forgiveness. Do not offer any excuses, and do not say anything snarky. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d send something like this:

Dear so-and-so,

Blessings,

<us>

No idea whether you are a Christian, but here are a few verses I would meditate on while contemplating your response:

I respectfully disagree with this note suggestion. I am afraid it is so nice and humble that the other person will feel it is snarky. Glory, I agree with the sentiment you are trying to express so please don't feel that I'm picking on your response.

We don't do thank you notes. Ever.

We call, have the kids thank whomever for whatever.

Actually, I sent thank you notes out for our wedding gifts, since a) we opened them away from everyone and b) didn't have ph#s for everyone, but MIL gave us mailing addys.

The relative is a nut. :grouphug:

I think the relative is very petty to do this. You told them there were having family health issues and your life is unusually busy. I think the normal thing for a caring relative to do would be to drop you a note to check if you were all ok or even give you a call. If they had called rather than done something as nasty as this then it would have taken a few seconds to sort out. In practice how do they know you hadn't already sent them and they had got lost in the post or if they were delayed because something dreadful had happened to all of you. It seems like a huge leap to go to no contact just because you missed one set of thankyou notes.

Dear so-and-so,

Blessings,

<us>

Wow. I could not operate or feel grace under your understanding of Christian forgiveness. The above, IMO, brings the same level of self-absorbed toxicity to the situation as the family that bifurcated relationship over thank you notes.

Maybe tell them it's not "April" yet... no April Fools jokes, yet, for you!! Of course you love them!! Seriously, they just needed to get their "p*nties out of a bundle" :)

Some people!!

I respectfully disagree with this note suggestion. I am afraid it is so nice and humble that the other person will feel it is snarky. Glory, I agree with the sentiment you are trying to express so please don't feel that I'm picking on your response.

I agree - I think that is the main reason I initially liked the idea. (Especially as edited by me.) Shame on me.

Wow, our relatives never even send an e-mail acknowledgement of the gifts we send, let alone a thank you note. I do find this rude, and we have decided to discontinue the birthday gifts when the nieces & nephews graduate from high school. I have a feeling that Christmas gifts are going to start decreasing, too.

But I think that your relative is being completely unreasonable about this situation. I would be thrilled to receive any thank you note, even if it was a few weeks late! It sounds like you were very polite and not in the wrong in this situation. Oh my.

Wow. I could not operate or feel grace under your understanding of Christian forgiveness. The above, IMO, brings the same level of self-absorbed toxicity to the situation as the family that bifurcated relationship over thank you notes.

I agree. In my own words, that is one bizarre note to send someone that is going to end an ENTIRE relationship over a missed thank you note.

ETA: and unless there is something that the OP is not telling us about the relationship that would explain the (still immature) response from the relative, I say, goodbye and good riddance.

I try to send actual cards, but sometimes don't get to more than a "thank-you" in person or by phone or email. I don't expect thanks when I give anything. An acknowledgement is nice just to know if they got it.

I hope you/the other party will be able to find a way to restore a more solid relationship in the future.

I would simply say that I'm sorry I hurt her feelings and leave it at that. A phone call would probably be better unless she refused to take the call. I would not beg for forgiveness or grovel to get back in her good graces, nor would I respond unkindly or add more drama to the situation. I can see why others would not want to expend the energy on a response at all, and maybe it would be better to say nothing and wait for her to make the next move.

Edited by WordGirl

"Sorry we missed the deadline! We got really busy with the holidays, taking people for treatments etc. If you change your mind about wanting to hear from us ever again, let us know! Fondly,..."

I mean, the way to break contact is to not call someone or write. Since the complaint is that you don't call or write, then why don't they also not call or write? Then there won't be any contact, right?

It seems very "grand standing" to me to do this in these circumstances. If you were calling all the time and they wanted you to stop, then they would have to say something. Since you aren't calling, they don't need to announce a severing of ties. So why are they doing it? For attention. To punish you. To feel "closure." It's so childish and stupid, and I would frankly just ignore them, because what this person really really wants it attention. They feel ignored, so they are reaching out to say, "I am breaking contact." I would, childish I know, continue to ignore them because that's probably the thing they most hate:)

I mean, the way to break contact is to not call someone or write. Since the complaint is that you don't call or write, then why don't they also not call or write? Then there won't be any contact, right?

It seems very "grand standing" to me to do this in these circumstances. If you were calling all the time and they wanted you to stop, then they would have to say something. Since you aren't calling, they don't need to announce a severing of ties. So why are they doing it? For attention. To punish you. To feel "closure." It's so childish and stupid, and I would frankly just ignore them, because what this person really really wants it attention. They feel ignored, so they are reaching out to say, "I am breaking contact." I would, childish I know, continue to ignore them because that's probably the thing they most hate:)

Yes, grandstanding! Or drama queen. ;)

I would send another note saying "goodbye" :seeya: :lol::lol:

They wouldn't stay around me very long. I've only sent out a few thank you notes in my life and all were when I was a small child and all with great distress and fighting on my part against having to do it. Honestly, I freeze up and have no idea what to say. As a kid I would break down into tears over not knowing what to say. Irrantional and stupid, I know that. :) I still can't do it.

I thank the person in person or give them a very thankful phone call. If that's not good enough for some people, oh well. It doesn't matter in my life anyhow because I think I've received one thank you letter in my whole life. Obviously they're not important to anyone around me, either.