Menu

How many times a day do you run your dishwasher?

I'm just wondering (as I listen to mine whirring in the background). I'd love to compare our usage to other homeschoolers... We definitely aren't in the once a week crowd like the other empty nesters in our family.

At most, once a day.

I try to do every other day, though. It all depends on whether I have the motivation to actually hand wash the pots and pans, or if I just throw them in the dishwasher after dinner. :D

Never. I've divorced it.

I hate dishwashers. I really do. I hate dishwashers. They're like poo poo.

Worst purchasing decision made. And we bought a very, very good one, super-expensive. :glare:

You don't like dishwashers?! :svengo:

I didn't have one til we moved to this house 3 years ago. I knew I'd been talking about wanting one when my (then) 5yo DS comes in and says, 'Mom! The dishes are getting washed! And you DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING!!!' :D

You don't like dishwashers?! :svengo:

I didn't have one til we moved to this house 3 years ago. I knew I'd been talking about wanting one when my (then) 5yo DS comes in and says, 'Mom! The dishes are getting washed! And you DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING!!!' :D

No, very hard water here, so have to keep using salt and softeners, which I often had to ship and import. Giant pain.

I hate having to rinse and then put them in the dishwasher. Waste of time.

Can't put many things in it.

And on and on it goes ... :glare:

Wow..how do you do that?? We run it at least 2 times a day for 5 people. I just ran it and since I am cooking dinner, I will load it and run it again tonight. For lunch 4 people had plates, cups, etc. We used up 4 different tupperware containers of leftovers. The breakfast dishes were in there from this morning with omlets, cereal, etc. I run it twice a day nearly every day.

We are a family of 4. Every Friday my friend comes over with her kids for lunch (extra dishes). I still only run mine about 2x a week. I use the same cup over and over and over - I only put water in it. My kids are allowed one cup per day. My dh drinks soda from a can. We use real plates based on if I need to fill the bottom of the dishwasher. If the bottom is full, but the cup part isn't - we use styrofoam plates. The only time I run my dishwasher more than that is if we are having a lot of people over. Of course, I usually only do laundry 1 day a week with 1 load of lights, 1 load of darks, 1 load of towels, bedding as needed. Nobody can understand how I only do laundry once a week either.

Once a day unless I'm going crazy with baking or something.

Usually 1 x per day.

This is us, too.

Occasionally, if I'm doing an unusually large or complex meal or, as Daisy said, baking, it gets run twice. But there are other times when it might get run only every other day.

Wow..how do you do that?? We run it at least 2 times a day for 5 people. I just ran it and since I am cooking dinner, I will load it and run it again tonight. For lunch 4 people had plates, cups, etc. We used up 4 different tupperware containers of leftovers. The breakfast dishes were in there from this morning with omlets, cereal, etc. I run it twice a day nearly every day.

Hmmm.

Let's see. This morning, I used a baking sheet to cook some frozen potato patties for my son's breakfast. I used the blender to make him a smoothie and a glass for that. I put his patties on a dinner-sized plate. I drank my coffee out of a big mug and had my breakfast (banana, cashews) in a little bowl. I used a spoon to stir my coffee. When my daughter got up, I used a mixing bowl, a measuring cup and some measuring spoons to make her biscuits, which I baked on the same tray I had used for my son's patties. She ate her breakfast off a large plate, too.

I wash the blender carafe by hand.

Later in the morning, I rinsed out my mug and used it for tea.

My son made his lunch, leftover spaghetti sauce from a plastic container, pasta and garlic bread. He used a knife and cutting board to cut the bread, a small bowl to melt margarine for the garlic bread, another bowl to warm up the sauce in the microwave, another baking tray for the bread, yet another bowl to hold the baked garlic bread, a plate and a fork. My daughter used a small plate for some crackers and hummus and a butter knife for spreading the hummus.

I made myself popcorn, which I ate from a bowl.

Dinner will be black bean burritos with home-made tortillas. I've used another cutting board, but I rinsed off and re-used the knife from earlier to chop the onions and veggies. I used another mixing bowl for the tortillas, and I used the same measuring cup and measuring spoons I used in the morning for the biscuits. I'm using a pot to cook the beans and a flat pan thing for the tortillas. Later, I'll re-used the pan to warm the tortillas with some margarine. I'll use a small bowl to defrost some frozen corn niblets in the microwave.

I'll wash the pot and pan by hand.

Serving dinner will require four plates, four forks and a couple of knives.

Later in the evening, one or more of us might eat a snack or make a cup of tea. Let's count one more small plate per person and a couple of mugs?

We drink our water out of filter bottles, one for each person.

So, our total for the day is:

Dinner plates - 7

Small plates - 6

Bowls (including the mixing bowls) - 6

Small bowls - 2

Cutting boards - 2

Kitchen knives - 1

Mugs - 3

Measuring cup - 1

Measuring spoons - 1 set

Baking trays - 2

Utensils - Assorted, but not too many to fit in a single load.

That easily fits in a single load.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

We are in the twice a day crowd....sometimes we run it a little less, sometimes a bit more. I tend to let the dishwasher wash my pots and pans (with the exceptions of cookie sheets, cast iron, and enameled cast iron) because of my arthritis.

I bake from scratch a lot, and we very rarely use disposable plates.We reuse water glasses often, but I do put the glasses in if they've had milk.

We have a high efficiency dishwasher, so I don't feel very guilty doing so. :D

Usually once per day at night...and sometimes I calculate which dishes to use by how much will fit, e.g. last night I served the salad on the dinner plates instead of in separate bowls because the bowls wouldn't have fit into the dishwasher--it was already mostly full. My salad dressing seeped into my rice but it's a price I'm willing to pay. :)

And like a lot of other posters, if I'm doing a lot of cooking it may get run more, or less if we've been eating out a lot. But typically once a day.

Anywhere from once every two days to two times a day but usually once a day. It depends on how many people are here (my dh travels a lot and one dd goes to college away from home and youngest is sometimes gone on camp-outs) and what type of meals we are eating. So if we have a cooked breakfast (rare here) and then soup and sandwiches for lunch, we would need to do a load. But our usual fare, light breakfast, light to no lunch, and heavier dinner usually means once a day. If we eat out at night, it moves to another day.

We have two dishwashers. :001_smile: I run one of them once a day usually. I hand wash all pots and pans, but as long as I cook dinner, I need to run one of them every day for our family of four. If we eat out, obviously we don't need to run the dishwasher that day usually. If I'm baking a lot or have people over for dinner, I run both of them.

Sometimes once a day and sometimes every other day. I do generally wash big pots but sometimes not. We generally reuse glasses at least throughout the day. We are a family of 5, I don't use disposable anything and cook 3 meals a day, eating out is a rare occurence(generally maybe 1x a month).

I run ours' anywhere from 1-4 times a day, most days being at least 2 times. I am constantly telling dh that when we move I NEED to have two dishwashers or at least one of those double-drawer ones that holds twice as much. I also handwash a ton of stuff that hasn't fit in the dishwasher during any given run. It's frustrating. I actually have started buying cheap paper plates and am assigning cups that I want the kids to re-use...just to try to save on water, detergent, etc. We are only a family of six...