Menu

Poll -- Which one to choose? Please consider carefully:

Which Handbag? OR, neither. Ignore the fact that they are blue - doesn't matter.  

1. 1. Which Handbag? OR, neither. Ignore the fact that they are blue - doesn't matter.

• Hermes
    • Vuitton
    • Either --
    • Neither --Just carry your stuff in a brown paper bag.
    • Other -- Obligatory

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vuitton is closer to what I would choose. But neither for me. I carry this

First off, I have a shoulder issue. But secondly, I carry so. much. carp. Mine, and everybody else's that bigger IS better. But it is also heavier, which brings me back to number One.

Seriously, I have 2 pairs of socks in it (McDonald's playland requires socks!), semi-important papers, snacks, medicine, etc. Everything that I carried in a diaper bag, except the diaper, bottle and change of clothes. (Yes, I have a small package of wipes!). And my girls are 7 & 10. I will (hopefully) be able to carry a smaller purse when they start carrying their own purses. At that point, I would choose the nice little blue one.

Hermes....I like small bags. That one has a bit of unique style about it. It doesn't look like every other bag you see. I like that.

I don't care for the color of blue much, because it reminds me of the 1980s cornflower blue, but if I was going to choose between the two....I would learn to love it.

I dislike the gold leather, and blue checkerboard pattern on the V. I think I would tire of it quickly, if I carried it.

I used to feel that way until I bought a Coach at an outlet store for more than 50% off. I have used it almost every single day for just over a year and it still looks brand new. I would have already been through 4 or 5 $20 Target bags by now as they look worn after a couple of months. Maybe I'm just really hard on my bags?;)

So, the $130 I spent on my Coach that still looks new isn't any more than I would have already spent to replace the less expensive bags I normally would buy. Have I justified it yet?;)

In fact, I love my brown Coach so much that I just bought a black one from their online outlet.:D

I love my Coach bag. I have a black leather one I've used everyday for years and it still looks new.

I wouldn't choose either of the bags in the poll, they look cheap to me.

I like the elegant shape of the Hermes bag much better. The color is good, too. I don't care for the looks of the other one.

(I personally usually get my purses at knitting stores, weaving or knitting conferences, or at free exchanges, so I am not a good person to ask.)

(Also, I HATE changing purses, so I usually have one purse that I use all the time, whether it goes with my clothing or not, and one evening purse.)

(However, I'm seriously considering investing in a Miche bag. Those have removable exteriors, so I could change the look without moving any of my stuff. That is very attractive to me.)

Hermes. Simple, classic, timeless.

While I like the style of the LV-the checkerboard pattern would give me a headache. I do worry about some patterns dating an item very quickly and not standing the test of time. On the other hand, LV certainly has a tradition of developing long lasting patterns so...maybe that argument doesn't apply.

I'm reminding by my husband that a lady I graduated high school with is often eating lunch at a restaurant we also frequent. :) She's has a bag exactly like or very much like that V and I always comment on how much I like it.

They are both great. You'll be happy with either and I think just about everyone would agree that listening to your posts makes me suspect you are already leaning to the V. ;) You'll love it, no matter!

Neither.

V-I don't like being a walking advertisement for a designer.

H-Beautiful but impractical. No room for my composition book.

eBay has lots and lots of bags/purses from reputable sellers. Look for a good return policy so you can send it back if you don't like your bag. Read seller feedback and use their 800 number to ask questions. Shop only top-rated sellers and beware of fakes. You want certificates of authenticity, numbered stamps inside the purse, etc. Check out

christmas_logo.gif

http://www.fashionphile.com/

Tod bags are understated and lovely.

Good luck!

The Hermes bag is more unique. The LV bag looks like many other bags I see at church and the store. The Hermes bag is also smaller, maybe too small depending on how much stuff you carry.

Does one or the other make you smile when you see it? If so, I'd choose that one. You'd feel a little happier every time you saw it or picked it up to head out the door. :001_smile:

I would choose the Vuitton purely based on shape. I like the shape of it and it would work well for what I carry in my purse.

The Hermes bag looks small and stiff. I also can't tell about the leather but is it the super smooth leather that would scratch easily? That would be another concern for me with solid blue bag.

Edited by luvnlattes

Well, I don't like blue or yellow for a purse so I am afraid I am of no help. The yellow one looks more usable because it is larger though.

You said not to discuss but I honestly know my opinions are based on what I like, so, there you go.....

I picked other, only because I don't think a brown paper bag would do.....pick something other than that! ;)

I love Hermes, myself, but for practicality, the Vuitton bags wins. The Hermes Kelly bag...*swoon*.

:iagree: And I LOVE the Kelly bag!! Is that an option? FWIW, I'm also a huge Kate Spade fan, but I didn't see that on your poll. I need more choices...I'm a handbag junkie. I bought my first Gucci bag in 10th grade (it took $200 of my babysitting money) and jumped headfirst into the land of handbag snobbery, with nary a backward glance! :lol: I also use that "I would have gone through at least 10 Target purses in the time I've had this one Vuitton." And it's true. Still have (and use) the Gucci.

Yep. :iagree: I love the color on the Hermes but if I was going to use it as my everyday bag, I'd have to go with the Vuitton for practicality sake.

I feel the exact same way.

In fact, I used to carry a Miche bag, but it just didn't hold all I need to hold, so I now have a Kenneth Cole bag that is much larger. And has the cute chain handles.

I think you should be bold and different and get the Hermes. I prefer the more structured bag look, anyway. It's gorgeous. Of course if someone gifted me the Vuitton I'd happily carry that too. But from the pic it seems the Hermes is a bit on the small side? (sorry I didn't read the comments and this may have been discussed already!)

I like how the Hermes looks, but it looks a bit small to be my "everyday" hand bag. It would be good to have as my "wanting to look especially smart, and willing to transfer items to an occasional bag" bag.

The Vuitton has a better functionality, I would guess, but I am not wild about checks.

If I buy an "investment" piece, I want to to be sort of classic but very me. The Hermes is closer to that, but too small (for me). The Vuitton looks like something someone else would carry. But maybe that someone else is you!

I really am not fond of either one. I think the Hermes is too small, don't love the color for practicality, and don't really like the closure.

The Vuitton has a better shape, and certainly more room (if one needs a bigger bag), but I'm not fond of the colors.

I'm not one to spend a ton on purses, mainly because I like change and I have quite a few. My current is a soft leather Liz Claiborne in a mustard color that I LOVE (so much I bought the mustard AND the red). I also keep practical ones like brown and black (and wallets to match/coordinate with all of them), and I change them out when I feel like it. I probably couldn't do this if my bags cost hundreds each...

Neither.

eBay has lots and lots of bags/purses from reputable sellers. Look for a good return policy so you can send it back if you don't like your bag. Read seller feedback and use their 800 number to ask questions. Shop only top-rated sellers and beware of fakes. You want certificates of authenticity, numbered stamps inside the purse, etc. Check out

christmas_logo.gif

Good luck!

:iagree: I have a gorgeous Tod bag -- it is in storage, I packed it when the house was going on the market. I have actually though been thinking about getting it out of storage and carrying it for a few months. I LOVE my Tod bag.

:iagree: And I LOVE the Kelly bag!! Is that an option? FWIW, I'm also a huge Kate Spade fan, but I didn't see that on your poll. I need more choices...I'm a handbag junkie. I bought my first Gucci bag in 10th grade (it took $200 of my babysitting money) and jumped headfirst into the land of handbag snobbery, with nary a backward glance! :lol: I also use that "I would have gone through at least 10 Target purses in the time I've had this one Vuitton." And it's true. Still have (and use) the Gucci.

That is the same rationale that I use -- I began with a Dior when I was 21 (you probably were still in diapers :glare:), and after that Vuitton that I carried for years and years - only to be replaced by another Vuitton. In between there have been Dooney & Bourke, Coach, more Vuitton, Cynthia Rowley, and odd bags here and there that I thought I would carry for awhile (just run of the mill) that I carried for 10 minutes. Can't help it......I'm a handbag junkie.

Neither.

christmas_logo.gif

Good luck!

OMH!!!! You should never have sent me THAT link. I'll be gone for awhile.

I prefer the blue out of those two, the other one looks dated? But, I am NOT a handbag person, my last handbag was 20 years ago, loved it! A Coach shoulder bag that was promptly stolen after I had it 3 weeks..I vowed never to buy a bag again...and haven't! :)

The blue one only IF it zips entirely closed. I do not buy purses with flaps or merely a snap that closes them. I want all my stuff securely enclosed and the bag must zip entirely closed or I am not interested.

I can't tell from your photo.

I really am not fond of either one. I think the Hermes is too small, don't love the color for practicality, and don't really like the closure.

The Vuitton has a better shape, and certainly more room (if one needs a bigger bag), but I'm not fond of the colors.

I'm not one to spend a ton on purses, mainly because I like change and I have quite a few. My current is a soft leather Liz Claiborne in a mustard color that I LOVE (so much I bought the mustard AND the red). I also keep practical ones like brown and black (and wallets to match/coordinate with all of them), and I change them out when I feel like it. I probably couldn't do this if my bags cost hundreds each...

I love fabulous handbags and am a groupie for excellent quality fashion and accessories. However, that is not within my reality-based budget. I do much like you -- I buy much less expensive bags, but still with good quality. I have a black croc Liz Claiborne bag that is like a bottomless pit, it's so roomy. I also have several other minor name bags in all kinds of funky shapes and colours. I like a funky bag. It gives my necessarily conservative work wardrobe a touch of my own personality (as do my scarves and costume jewellery).

I change my purse out depending on what I'm wearing that day. I have been known to be so lazy about changing my purse out that I'll purposefully choose outfits that will work with the same bag -- sometimes even for a week or more.

That all said, I'll gladly shop vicariously with Mariann for an Hermès bag any day! :D

I love this thread. Can I just say that? I'm so glad to be reminded I'm not the only one with a love for great purses? :) When I get all giddy scanning through the latest updates on someone's website or when I felt myself feel flush when I saw that Lennox mall has opened an entire Prada store after moving the Godiva store, I'll remember I'm not alone. ;) LOL. (don't really care for Prada but I thought it was cool. :) )

I love fabulous handbags and am a groupie for excellent quality fashion and accessories. However, that is not within my reality-based budget. I do much like you -- I buy much less expensive bags, but still with good quality. I have a black croc Liz Claiborne bag that is like a bottomless pit, it's so roomy. I also have several other minor name bags in all kinds of funky shapes and colours. I like a funky bag. It gives my necessarily conservative work wardrobe a touch of my own personality (as do my scarves and costume jewellery).

I change my purse out depending on what I'm wearing that day. I have been known to be so lazy about changing my purse out that I'll purposefully choose outfits that will work with the same bag -- sometimes even for a week or more.

That all said, I'll gladly shop vicariously with Mariann for an Hermès bag any day! :D

:lol: I'll let you choose the radio stations.:lol: :auto:

I love this thread. Can I just say that? I'm so glad to be reminded I'm not the only one with a love for great purses? :) When I get all giddy scanning through the latest updates on someone's website or when I felt myself feel flush when I saw that Lennox mall has opened an entire Prada store after moving the Godiva store, I'll remember I'm not alone. ;) LOL. (don't really care for Prada but I thought it was cool. :) )

You understand! :grouphug: DH cannot understand how I can sit literally for hours and look at handbags -- it's very simple......I sit........I look. What's not to get? :001_huh: And, it doesn't have to be a designer I necesssarily like -- I love to look anyway.

I would definitely choose the Hermes. It will wear as well as the Vuitton, and is very classic.

I know that particular Vuitton pattern and honestly, I think it looks much better in the photo than in person. I know it sounds weird, but that pattern looks like a LV knockoff, even though it's real.

Vuitton. I sold three of them on EBAY this summer that were at least 5 years old and had carried them quite a bit. They looked brand new and paid for a lovely Guild guitar for my musician. Hermes is also a wonderful company and a well made bag. I prefer the non monogrammed for safety reasons and thus Longchamps are perfect for my use.