1. 1. Concealed carry?

• My spouse/significant other does
    • I do
    • I don't, but I'd consider it
    • We don't, but I'm glad others do
    • No
    • No WAY, you all are a bunch of paranoid yahoos
    • Shoot! I'm picking "Other"

My dh and I have concealed carry, but I do not have one in my purse. We keep a 45 in the glovebox of our van. It is mostly for when we are traveling. Sometimes it is a pain though b/c not all states honor our OK license so before you travel, you have to make sure it is allowed in all states you will be passing through.

I've had the permit in the past, but let it lapse when we moved to areas that severely restricted firearms ownership. I had to laugh when I saw that concealed carry is listed as possible in Hawaii. Maybe if you are in law enforcement. It was so difficult just to own a firearm as a private citizen that we didn't bother moving anything there.

I will probably go through the process in the near future to get my permit again. Probably a half dozen members of my extended family, equally balanced between men and women, have done so in several states.

In particular, one family member was urged on by the rest of us several years ago, when she was an elected official and was being threatened by an unhappy constituent. She still works late in a downtown district that doesn't have a lot of foot traffic. I hope she never needs to use it, but I think that a firearm is a powerful equalizer for women, who tend to be of less domineering physical stature.

Dh is LE so he carrys whenever he feels like it.

I used to be LE, but really have no urge to carry a firearm or other weapon when I'm out and about. Some say I'm overly cautious in many ways but because of (or despite) my caution I don't want to take my baby Glock out of the house for running errands.

I think it is a good idea for most if not all households to have a firearm. Yet at the same time I think it is a bad idea for a great many people to be walking around armed. I've come across too many people on power trips simply because they have both a firearm and a license.

I suspect that most people, who have a permit, would not want to answer that one.

Those who I know that carry, in the US, certainly would not put up an answer on an open forum.

I'm about as paranoid as you can get without freaking out the neighbors. I see no problem with answering a poll that doesn't list usernames, although I would agree about posting details on the thread. Editing because I feel like that was unclear! I'd answer a poll about what I have on hand, whether it was firearms or cash or something else, or what I have in the house, as long as it wasn't a poll that listed usernames.

On a related note, we almost couldn't find a parking spot at Gander Mountain the other night. It was their last concealed carry class until January.

Edited by beaners

many of our friends, and my pastor conceal. I live in the old west, and have seen peeps in mcdonalds with a gun strapped, not even looked at twice.

We are in foster system, so under different rules for our home now, but my hubby will have one once the process to adopt is complete.

My boys are hunters, been through extensive safety courses and will conceal I am sure as soon as old enough.

As an American citizen, it is our right, and you can choose not to have one, but isn't that the best way? To have a choice?

I am terrified of guns BUT fully support gun rights.

I live in a city with very strict gun laws-- it's possible for civilians to carry but there are lots of hoops to jump through.

I once had a terrifying incident where someone started madly pounding on my door late at night/ rattling the door back and forth and turning the doorknob. I called the police saying I thought someone was breaking into my house.

As it turns out, it WAS the police-- plainclothed detectives-- looking for the people who used to be here. At no point did I hear them say they were the police, and there were no marked cars outside.

After the incident I wondered what would have happened if I'd had a gun in the house. If they had broken in (I think they had arrest warrants for the previous owners, but that's a whole other story) I might have started shooting in terror, and god knows what would have happened then.

I don't even like thinking about it! Guns don't leave much margin for error. But I still support gun rights 100%.

Nope. No interest or desire to ever carry, a general disinterest in guns altogether. Just absolutely do not see the need, I am not a fearful person at all. I'm not convinced that I need protection from murderers, robbers, and rapists at all time. The one exception for us is hunting: I could possibly see someone in my family getting a rifle for hunting purposes only.

All the people I *personally* know IRL (family and friends) who carry are a bunch of absolutely crazy, paranoid yahoos.

Edited by Wabi Sabi

I always find discussions like this interesting. Where I grew up everybody had a gun. Half the trucks in the school parking lot had at least one in the gun rack in the window. Lunch table discussion during certain parts of the year focused on things like the difference between hunting antelope (my female friend) and hunting elk (my male friend on the other side). I don't think it ever occurred to any of us that having a gun around would be seen as an indication of "paranoia". They were just tools. You wouldn't call someone paranoid for having a gun anymore than you would for having a pipe wrench. Personally I preferred to stay inside where it was warm and read a book. But I have no problem with people carrying guns, whether it's for hunting or protection from wild animals (human or otherwise).

Edited by MamaSheep

My Dh does, has for years. He is law enforcement, but would even if he weren't. I do think there is a group of people who are crazy paranoid fools who shouldn't have a water gun let alone a real gun... BUT most gun owners (especially those that CC) are responsible and very knowledgeable.

We do not choose to own guns, concealed carry or not.

This is our family as well.

As an American citizen, it is our right, and you can choose not to have one, but isn't that the best way? To have a choice?

Yes. yes it is.

Nope. No interest or desire to ever carry, a general disinterest in guns altogether. Just absolutely do not see the need, I am not a fearful person at all. I'm not convinced that I need protection from murderers, robbers, and rapists at all time. The one exception for us is hunting: I could possibly see someone in my family getting a rifle for hunting purposes only.

:iagree: This is exactly my thougts as well.

I would but they don't do concealed carry with mere mortals in Mexico. In fact, people have been sent to jail for years for even a small pocket knife on their person.

Seriously?! A pocket knife? Do tell...

Well, I wouldn't want to try carrying my Swiss Army Knife through an airport checkpoint...

You can also drive into Mexico. The vast majority are not stopped. It's not like airport security.

People get in trouble for it all the time.

From the U.S. consulate:

"

Don’t bring firearms or ammunition across the border into Mexico.

Don’t carry a knife, even a small pocketknife, on your person in Mexico.

You may become one of dozens of U.S. Citizens who are arrested each month for unintentionally violating Mexico’s strict weapons laws.

If you are caught with firearms or ammunition in Mexico...

• You will go to jail and your vehicle will be seized;

• You will be separated from your family, friends, and your job, and likely suffer substantial financial hardship;

• You will pay court costs and other fees ranging into the tens of thousands of dollars defending yourself;

• You may get up to a 30-year sentence in a Mexican prison if found guilty.

If you carry a knife on your person in Mexico, even a pocketknife . . .

• You may be arrested and charged with possession of a deadly weapon;

• You may spend weeks in jail waiting for trial, and tens of thousands of dollars in attorney’s fees, court costs, and fines;

• If convicted, you may be sentenced to up to five years in a Mexican prison.

Claiming not to know about the law will not get you leniency from a police officer or the judicial system. Leave your firearms, ammunition, and knives at home. Don’t bring them into Mexico."

Yeah, 5 years potentially for a small pocket knife. It's very normal to carry one in America and people just don't realize it's not okay here.

You can also drive into Mexico. The vast majority are not stopped. It's not like airport security.

People get in trouble for it all the time.

From the U.S. consulate:

"

Don’t bring firearms or ammunition across the border into Mexico.

Don’t carry a knife, even a small pocketknife, on your person in Mexico.

You may become one of dozens of U.S. Citizens who are arrested each month for unintentionally violating Mexico’s strict weapons laws.

If you are caught with firearms or ammunition in Mexico...

• You will go to jail and your vehicle will be seized;
  • You will be separated from your family, friends, and your job, and likely suffer substantial financial hardship;
  • You will pay court costs and other fees ranging into the tens of thousands of dollars defending yourself;
  • You may get up to a 30-year sentence in a Mexican prison if found guilty.

If you carry a knife on your person in Mexico, even a pocketknife . . .

• You may be arrested and charged with possession of a deadly weapon;
  • You may spend weeks in jail waiting for trial, and tens of thousands of dollars in attorney’s fees, court costs, and fines;
  • If convicted, you may be sentenced to up to five years in a Mexican prison.

Claiming not to know about the law will not get you leniency from a police officer or the judicial system. Leave your firearms, ammunition, and knives at home. Don’t bring them into Mexico."

Yeah, 5 years potentially for a small pocket knife. It's very normal to carry one in America and people just don't realize it's not okay here.

Wow! That *is* harsh. It's funny how "normal" is perceived depending on where you live. Our son was regularly carrying a pocket knife by 10. They're so handy! There have been many times I've asked to use his knife. It would seem absurd to have that harsh of a punishment for a pocket knife.

or if we were hiking/backpacking a lot in bear country.

Now this I understand :D

I've felt like carrying a gun or two myself when DH takes me hiking through the woods in Canada.

I'm nervous around guns -I prefer people didn't carry them but I'm an Aussie so have no experience with them.

DH is Canadian. He tells me he owns hunting guns but I've never seen them and he left them all at his parents house in Canada when we moved to Australia. Just the thought of them in the house even in a locked box makes me nervous - my kids can get into anything :glare:

yes, which is why many think open carry is better than closed carry, but in most states it is illegal to open carry.

As a Canadian I'm completely unfamiliar with the gun laws in the US, but I don't really get why closed carry would be legal but open would be illegal?

I would if I could; in fact my whole family would (except for DS6). But we're in NJ so we're not permitted to carry a weapon to defend ourselves.

As far as concealed/open carry I believe access to your weapon is the factor; someone could grab it too easily. It also could make people who are gun-squeamish uncomfortable I imagine.

Also if you consider concealed carry in this manner: When concealed carry is legal, the criminals don't know who's armed, so they might think twice before attacking ANYONE. If open carry is the rule, then they'll know who's carrying and who's not.

Edited by bbkaren

My husband has a CCL and does carry often.

MANY people here carry. Lots of women that I know personally have their licenses and carry. It is still a little shocking to me, because I grew up in a state where this is not common at all.

No responsible gun carrier is going to brandish their weapon or shoot without very just cause. All license carriers are warned repeatedly that if they ever have to shoot their gun, and probably even if they draw it, they WILL go to jail initially until the facts are sorted out. License notwithstanding.

Absolutely. If you don't know your way around a gun and do not have confidence using it, don't carry one or shoot one. If

you have no intention of shooting to kill, don't carry.

This is me. My husband would love to teach me to shoot and for me to carry for protection, but I am NOT comfortable around guns at all. I have shot a gun on only one occasion at a range and had to tell my husband this is an interest I just cannot share with him. He agrees with me that if I am not able to be comfortable shooting a gun, then I have no business carrying one.

Edited by scrappyhappymama