Menu

Poll: Would you be there for your siblings and vice versa?

test  

1. 1. test

• yes
    • no

Yes, this is a spin-off on the "close to siblings" poll. If the chips were down, would you be there for your siblings and would they be there for you? I'm assuming that the chips are really down and it's not a case of manipulation.

ETA: I know - I goofed and did not make the poll so that you could make multiple choices. I apologize.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

It depends on what you mean by "be there." I'd send money if it were needed. I'd bail him out of jail if needed. But due to lack of proximity I could not be there as a shoulder to cry on if a relationship went bad or if he broke both legs and needed someone to push his wheelchair.

my siblings and I were not close growing up, and even further apart as adults.

I tried to "be there" for my brother the last couple years since our mother's death. he is a real sob at times (and not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. He's very insecure, and engages in the type of bully/manipulation typical of the agressive-insecure person). our relationship is now severed, by his own behavior that made continuing the relationship intolerable. the irony was, he thought he could have his cake and eat it too. I would this would be a wake up call, but he's too dense, so I'm not holding my breath.

sometimes, it's better for a person to have to sit in the hole they dug for themselves and contemplate it than to be "rescued".

Edited by gardenmom5

It depends on what you mean by "be there." I'd send money if it were needed. I'd bail him out of jail if needed. But due to lack of proximity I could not be there as a shoulder to cry on if a relationship went bad of if he broke both legs and needed someone to push his wheelchair.

Be there in some capacity. But mostly be "family" - as in they can turn to you.

We don't even know when each other is in need. We don't share that kind of information. I sometimes hear of it through my mom. I will send my parents money to filter to my siblings when they need it.

No, I don't really think we would be there for each other. Not because we don't love each other, but simply because we live so far apart and have other support systems in place.

I would for my siblings, but they weren't for me when I went through terrible experience. One sister was attacking towards me; the others "disappeared." My brother (the youngest) has since told me that he regrets it terribly, though. He possibly would do differently now, but he was a kid in college at the time.

The family I come from is quite dysfunctional relationally.

You know, I would love to say that I would be there for my brother....and I think if he asked me pretty much anything, I would not refuse, but the truth is...He had a tragedy in his life and I couldn't be there for him...AND, I have had tragedies in mine...and he could not be there for me.

I don't think there are hard feelings on either end. Just life gets in the way...and prioritizing is done. IOW, my children and caring for them had to come before his needs....and his needs were great. He had a spinal aneurism and was paralyzed from the chest down. He was in the hospital for months....but, I was not able to visit except for nce, because I was on total bedrest for my now 7 year old....sigh....

Anyway...our lives have taken very separate paths. I love him...and he loves me, but our lives do not...and really can not intertwine.

Faithe

ETA: My SIL and I would and can and have been there always (since I was 16 & she was 17) for eachother. My Dh is very close with his sister and so am I.

Edited by Mommyfaithe

It all depends. I literally can't help financially. However, I would be willing to take certain siblings in, if needed. I have had a sibling in jail, and there is no way on earth I would have bailed him out, due to why he was there.

I know that two of them would be there for me. They also aren't able to help financially, but if my family needed a place to stay for whatever reason, either one of them would make it work. Oh, and today is their birthday :) (yes, twins)

Edited by mommaduck

We don't always like each other but we always love each other.

:iagree:

If my brother went through a divorce, we'd probably be MUCH closer than we are now. I hate to even type that, and I wish their family well. I'd much rather he finds a way to get along in his marriage than be close to the rest of us. But with SIL in the equation, we aren't likely ever to be super close and he isn't likely to need or want our emotional support. I actually would NOT ever help him financially because my parents have helped them many times, and they are chronic money mismanagers. I personally think my parents have enabled them to be this way and I don't want to be a party to it. I also wouldn't spring him from jail. My parents have done that too.

But I do love my brother, wish him well, and would be here for him if he needed it. My brother lives in a bubble and isn't always sensitive to other people's needs, so it's hard to know. I think he'd be there in the society prescribed ways of helping in a surface way, and go back to his bubble.

Edited by kck

Absolutely. My sister and I are best friends and talk every single day. My brother and I are also close and his wife is one of my best friends as well, we usually talk once a week or so. All 3 of us homeschool our children, so we also have lots in common. If we ever needed each other we'd drop everything to be there, and have.

I would be there for them. They would be there for me.

We have our grouchy moments, and we don't talk every single day. But when the chips are down, we're there for one another, period. And we all know that.

My mother's husband thought we weren't close because we don't talk or email daily and we don't always share every single detail of our lives. Then he was around for a "Girls Weekend" at my mom's house when we all got together. That changed his mind, lol.

Cat

Yes, all the way around.

Case in point: I had a major health issue last week during Thanksgiving. My brother, SIL and their new baby happened to be in town for the holiday and spent a lot of time with my kids in order take them off my hands and help me out while DH was at work. My mom watched them as well, and my MIL came and took them for more than half the day early this week in order to let me rest.

We are truly, truly blessed with family on both sides.

Nope, both ways.

Partly b/c of distance. We're across country.

We have no contact at all, other than via my mother.

There's no hard feelings, at least not that I know of, it just doesn't exist, a relationship btwn us.

That being said, I've prayed for them, esp when my nephew was born w/heart defects.

Have you every heard the expression

Once is a mistake, twice is by choice.

I have helped out my siblings many, many times, into the tens of thousands of dollars. I have been burned ... too many times to count. So, if 'twice is by choice' then I am a fricking idiot for extending grace 8-10-15... times.

My siblings would not be there for me, as proven over the past 5 years with their promises to help me raise dd5 if I took on her guardianship. One of the 5 siblings I was raised with, babysat her for 1 hour one time, and dd13 was there doing all the work. Any other time I have asked, I have been told they were too busy. My siblings are more related to dd5 than I am (she is my half-great niece) as they are full aunts.

After all of this, No, I will not help them anymore. I cut the purse strings and cinched it up tight. Even my mom has been cut off.

There were not enough choices but the only straightforward answer I could give was that none of my siblings would be there for me. That's the most true.

I am the white sheep of the family. If you took all the best qualities of my 3 siblings, you'd have one amazing person but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. My older brother has been in and out of jail for drunk driving and possession of something he shouldn't have had. He's a hard worker but can't get along with people. My younger brother is a sweetheart with no job and no interest in having one. He lives with/on my dad which is okay because he helps out and my dad likes having him around. My sister is borderline mentally disabled but has a job, car, and takes care of herself outside of handling the money.

My brothers have created their own messes. I will not enable them further and nor will they ask me to. I will help my sister if she needs it and I will manage her money when my dad can't.

My brothers would help me physically. My older brother helped my ds move from his college dorm and offered to 'deal with' the roommate that prompted the move. My younger brother would do what he could considering he has no money, no car, and no license. My sister....I don't know what she could do. She's stuck in that self-focused stage of maturity.

My siblings are awesome. My brother came to spend Christmas with just me and my dh when I was pg and couldn't travel. He flew to TX to drive to GA with me while dh was deployed. He did the same for my sis while she was going through a divorce and needed to get away for a while - he even paid for most of the trip and entertainment for her and her girls. I've gone to my sister's to help seperate households while she was going through her divorce. She paid for part of a plane ticket so ds and I could fly to England to see her and her new baby.

I love my sibs. I hope my kids grow up loving and caring for each other like me and my sibs.

I have only one sister and she lives in another state about 11 hrs away. We'd both walk the whole way if the other really needed us. Whatever she needed I give her if I had it and she'd do the same, without thinking anything of it.

I guess I never realized how lucky I am that we have this relationship.

Yes, I would and i am pretty certain if needed they'd be there for me and they have been in the past.

The middle brother is a bit different story because he has some problems that would make me cautious in how I help him, but I would try to find a way as long as it did not put my family at risk.

My brother and I have each other's backs, but we have the same values and generally make the same life choices.

Now, Dh has 8 sibs. We would absolutely be there for all of them, but.....some of them make very questionable life choices. We would not support those choices. I am sure those sibs don't believe we are or would be there for them.

We would be there for each other. It's just the two of us. We've always looked out for each other. Even though I don't agree with the negative direction his life has taken (nor does he agree with my "uptight" lifestyle-his words), we would never let each other fall.

That also goes for most of my inlaws. My dh is one of 7(step included) and half of those we help regardless, the other 3 if it were dire.

Yes. I always tell my kids that most of their friends will only be in their life for a season, but their sisters will always be there, so they need to start treating each other like best friends now. After my diagnosis and hospitalization last summer, I've reminded them a couple times that it was my sister who was there holding my head while I was throwing up. Same sister was ready to get tested to see if she is a match for a bone marrow transplant, but I hope I will never need one. I don't live close to any of my sisters, but we visit each other as often as we can.

My brother was not there when my mom and I needed him. After her death he totally abandoned me. And my sons.

We have no relationship now and I'm much happier.

Dh's brothers and sisters in law? There for us. And we for them. They are the best people on the planet.