Menu

Another is-this-appropriate coop situation

A 14 year old male student J in a coop class of twelve is talking to a classmate during teacher presentation.

Teacher walks by his desk and taps J and his classmate's shoulders gently as a nonverbal reminder to stop disrupting class. Classmate settles down.

J is talking again. Teacher speaks J's name in a normal tone with raised eyebrows as a second reminder.

Within a few minutes, J is again disrupting class. Coop teacher in a firm sharp tone of voice says, "J, knock it off!"

Is that offensive to you as a parent? Is "knock it off" inappropriate for a coop? Is "knock it off" too harsh an admonition to an ADHD student?

Not offensive.

I don't expect co-op teachers to be perfect. They are typically parents and this is often their first experience in teaching other peoples' (people's ?) children. I wouldn't expect anything out of a cop-op teacher different than I would expect from a parent of a child watching mine.

Sure, we should all have great vocabulary, speak in perfect sentences with great grammar....but honestly, I don't have either and I don't expect others to.

A 14 year old male student J in a coop class of twelve is talking to a classmate during teacher presentation.

Teacher walks by his desk and taps J and his classmate's shoulders gently as a nonverbal reminder to stop disrupting class. Classmate settles down.

J is talking again. Teacher speaks J's name in a normal tone with raised eyebrows as a second reminder.

Within a few minutes, J is again disrupting class. Coop teacher in a firm sharp tone of voice says, "J, knock it off!"

Is that offensive to you as a parent? Is "knock it off" inappropriate for a coop? Is "knock it off" too harsh an admonition to an ADHD student?

1) shoulder tap

2) speak name with raised eyebrows

3) sharply say 'knock it off'

I think 1 and 2 are pretty subtle depending on the kid. I think step three should be 'J you need to stop talking and listen' (the behavior issue isn't actually stated in the given situation)

but I don't think 'knock it off' is offensive!

Nope. He's 14. Two warnings is one too many, IMO.

Are we the only ones who don't co-op?

This little piddly stuff in the classroom is one of the many reasons why we homeschool. Fuzzed-out but perfectly-intentioned teachers, smart-mouth kids who behave worse in packs, sifting through the 'he said/she said' nonsense all the time...no thanks.

We don't do co-ops. We partner up with a few families here and there, but to me, large co-ops often have the same challenges as school. Those are some of the things that I am trying to avoid.

This little piddly stuff in the classroom is one of the many reasons why we homeschool. Fuzzed-out but perfectly-intentioned teachers, smart-mouth kids who behave worse in packs, sifting through the 'he said/she said' nonsense all the time...no thanks.

We don't co-op either. But it isn't because of the politics or legalism. It's because we wouldn't get our school work done if we tried to do that too! (And yes, I get that many people do this for school and get valuable teaching from it.)

we don't, then again they are not even available here. I refuse to start one because I already have my own kid driving me nuts, I don't have the patience to put up with anyone else's teens/preteens. A room full of 2 yr olds no problem, a handful of teens and I am seeing red with smoke coming out of my ears.

I say, "Good for her for not allowing a 14 yo to rule the school."

I am ADHD and I have a 14yo son who is ADHD. I will still find him upside down in his chair sometimes. "Knock it off" is definitely not too harsh in my book.

Any 14yo who is repeatedly disrupting a class and the teacher should probably be headed out the door on the third strike. Respect for the teacher and the class is the first thing the kid needs to learn... far more important in my book than any subject learning.

I was wondering this as well. We were invited to join a geography coop and I didn't see the point other than an opportunity to socialize with other families.

Honestly, as someone with ADD sometimes I need a harsher reminder or admonition then other people to make a change in my behaviour.

Perfectly appropriate.

No, I think it's too lenient.

DS is at a private boys school. At fourteen, this boy could freshman. If he did that at DS's school, he'd probably have lunch detention* for a week and a meeting with the VP.

*Lunch detention means cleaning the lunchroom. The boy would get half the period to eat and then have to clean for the other half.

Edited by unsinkable

Yep! This is why I avoid coops too. Too much drama. ;)

Any 14yo who is repeatedly disrupting a class and the teacher should probably be headed out the door on the third strike. Respect for the teacher and the class is the first thing the kid needs to learn... far more important in my book than any subject learning.

:iagree:100%. He'd be out the door for the remainder of class at his age. I have a child with ADHD. Having ADHD is not an excuse to be rude. The first and second reminders were more than enough.

No, it isn't.

Is that offensive to you as a parent? Is "knock it off" inappropriate for a coop?

Is there a policy in place for dealing with this kind of thing? If not, I can see why the teacher would say that. If so, then I think it was inappropriate. Though to me it's not humiliating, such as when saying "shut your trap, mister" in front of an entire class, lol. There's also a difference between an 11 yo (as in Lisa's thread) and a 14yo.

:lol: Absolutely not. I would be totally fine if that were said to either of my kids. Especially at age 14.

Honestly, teachers need to use some disciplinary/group management techniques to keep classes focused and on task. If you don't want those devices used on your children ever, best not to use a co-op or outside classes.

We used to do a co-op, but it seemed like a time suck for not much academics for us. We do regularly do short term outside classes, and we do Spanish weekly. Spanish is taught by a native speaking professional teacher, it's a class of 10, and she has classroom management down to an art. Kids are too busy to get off task.

I've also had mediocre luck with parent led classes. Many parents are not really prepared to teach and engage a group.

Nope, not the only one. I want nothing to do with educational co-ops, for all of those reasons.

And to the OP, telling him to '"knock it off" is no big deal.

Well, I wouldn't have chosen those particular words myself, but as a parent, I wouldn't be offended. I think there should be a meeting between the student, parent, and teacher to determine some ground rules. A student continually disrupting the class is just not fair to the rest of the class. I think him leaving the class would have been more appropriate, but only if he had somewhere to go that was supervised. How many times does a teacher need to interrupt class to ask a student to please adhere to the class rules? What is fair?

However, if the class is for students that have ADHD and/or similar issues, making the child leave wouldn't make sense. But I would still think there needed to be some kind of rules.

I was wondering this as well. We were invited to join a geography coop and I didn't see the point other than an opportunity to socialize with other families.

The classes that my children have been in don't spend class time being social. The students benefit from teacher presentations and in-class discussion. At home, we only have a few people sharing ideas and opinions. Attending a class broadens that scope, which is important for some people. For example, I hate online college classes. I need that classroom time to really get anything out of the course. Dd13 is like that too, although she no longer has a choice. The high school classes at the place we used to attend are just too expensive. :(

J was quiet for the duration of the class. However, the mother complained that the teacher had been too harsh with J and expected an apology.

As someone who has taught many a small group class, and put a LOT of time and effort into making said classes rigorous and productive, I can assure you that I would NOT respond well to the mother in this situation. As far as I am concerned, a disruptive student and a mom like this do not need to be in my class anymore. Period.

:tongue_smilie:

I teach in a co-op setting and all these threads are stressing me out, making me question everything I say. For us the benefits of the co-op outweigh the negatives. But homeschool parents are way too sensitive about anything someone says to their kid. I mean C'MON! "Knock it off" is perfectly acceptable especially in kid language! I certainly wouldn't say it to an adult that is talking in the room, but sometimes you have to reach a 14 year old where he is. And of course, he should know better. That mom that is expecting an apology needs to rethink her reasons for having him in class, or rethink her leniency on his behavior in class. I think she should be supporting the adult here. Would she have allowed him to behave that way during church? It's ridiculous!