Menu

Another is-this-appropriate coop situation

Are we the only ones who don't co-op?

This little piddly stuff in the classroom is one of the many reasons why we homeschool. Fuzzed-out but perfectly-intentioned teachers, smart-mouth kids who behave worse in packs, sifting through the 'he said/she said' nonsense all the time...no thanks.

We don't do co-ops. We partner up with a few families here and there, but to me, large co-ops often have the same challenges as school. Those are some of the things that I am trying to avoid.

:iagree::iagree:No co-ops here. I think the dynamic in any classroom setting is pretty much the same and I homeschool to avoid that dynamic. (amongst other reasons)

A 14 year old male student J in a coop class of twelve is talking to a classmate during teacher presentation.

Teacher walks by his desk and taps J and his classmate's shoulders gently as a nonverbal reminder to stop disrupting class. Classmate settles down.

J is talking again. Teacher speaks J's name in a normal tone with raised eyebrows as a second reminder.

Within a few minutes, J is again disrupting class. Coop teacher in a firm sharp tone of voice says, "J, knock it off!"

Is that offensive to you as a parent? Is "knock it off" inappropriate for a coop? Is "knock it off" too harsh an admonition to an ADHD student?

Nope

I say that as someone with severe ADD, although my DD does not have it.

Having it does not give a child the right to disrupt a classroom after repeated admonishment. The teacher gave warnings to him so I'm fine with it.

No, the offensive part is that the mother is coddling the fourteen year old. I have ADHD, my two older children do too, and none of us needing more than a reminder (one) by the time we were that age.Not three reminders- and so I think the mom is doing wrong by the way she is raising her son.

:iagree:

Are we the only ones who don't co-op?

This little piddly stuff in the classroom is one of the many reasons why we homeschool. Fuzzed-out but perfectly-intentioned teachers, smart-mouth kids who behave worse in packs, sifting through the 'he said/she said' nonsense all the time...no thanks.

I never did co-ops but I didn't start homeschooling until she was in middle school. I couldn't find any that were suitable for her age and that were atheist-friendly. If I had been able to, I would have participated even if just for the social aspect.

J was quiet for the duration of the class. However, the mother complained that the teacher had been too harsh with J and expected an apology.

Ridiculous.

This is one of the reasons why I have only taught coop classes that I designed myself and ran solo. I don't want to have to discuss this kind of thing endlessly. Not OK with me. I put info out to a broad range of homeschoolers that included the schedule, what we would study on which day, what work would be expected at home, and generally what the expected atmosphere was. It pretty much made people self-select for traits that made for a good group.

Totally fine and I myself have adhesive.

Darn phone! ADHD.

:lol:

That is hilarious!!!

I agree with Mrs. Mungo that there is benefit to sometimes working with another family or two. I also agree with the concept of learning to acclimate oneself to a classroom setting sometime before college.

It just seems that homeschool co-ops are the worst of both worlds. There has to be a better way.

Having a 14-year-old with Asperger's and ADHD, etc., I'm kind of surprised a boy with ADHD can reach the age of 14 without ever being told to "knock it off" before. :D:

It wouldn't bother me at all, and I'm shocked the mom expected an apology. If it happened to my son, I'd tell him he should have been respectful and following the class rules. He wasted everyone's time when he kept talking. I realize it's hard for ADHD kids, and if this kid is new to class situations, it'll take some time. But kids (with or without ADHD) need to realize that when you ignore polite requests to obey, and are continuing to be disruptive, the teacher will resort to stronger measures to get your attention. So then you stop talking, be quiet the rest of class, and do better the next time. Not the end of the world.

Wendi

If I were the teacher, I might be willing to offer an apology during the next class period.

"Class, I need to apologize to all of you for last week. I allowed J's disruptive behavior to go on far too long, which wasted everyone's class time. From now on, any student being disruptive will receive one gentle warning. A second offense will result in ejection from the class for the remainder of the period. Again, I apologize for not handling the situation appropriately last week."

No, the offensive part is that the mother is coddling the fourteen year old. I have ADHD, my two older children do too, and none of us needing more than a reminder (one) by the time we were that age.Not three reminders- and so I think the mom is doing wrong by the way she is raising her son.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: