Menu

If the Wolves Were At Your Door....

....would you consider putting your kids in school and getting a job?

I've felt so badly lately for those posters who are despairing about finances. I can't imagine how tough it must be, but also realize that it could be any one of us, any year. I'm just so sorry....

I can't help but wonder, though, whether those of you who are SAHM's would consider giving up homeschooling in order to keep your house, keep your family together (prevent DH from having to move to another state to find work, etc.)

Would that be an option? Or would it be out of the question?

astrid

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought about this many times. The problem is that I have no skills, no degree, nothing to fall back on. Let's say I got a job, I would then need to find care for my DD before or after school, on weekends, etc. And I would need to pay for school things. Most likely any job I could get would not pay enough to cover all these things.

So while it could be done, it would take a LOT of sacrifice and hardship. I respect those that can get it done, but I'm not sure I could.

I also view being a stay at home mother as something that will help us in the long run. I'd rather be dirt poor, then have a child who I can't raise.

Well, dh and I would not consider putting the boys in school for any reason. Now obviously if I died, he'd have to do *something*, but we've even talked about that, and we have plenty of SAHM/homeschooling friends who would help him homeschool. And he could work from home, given enough time to work that out with his employer.

If we were really struggling, we would probably either have dh get a second job, or I'd get a job at nights, or whatever. We'd make it work without putting the boys in school.

Interesting question. I would probably give it another shot (we pulled DD out of public school 1.5yr ago - she would now be in a different school) if I thought it would result in a definite increase in our income. That being said, I have 2 littles and there is no way I could find a job making enough to cover daycare, let alone to cover daycare and still help out with finances.

If we were in that situation, dh would pick up a second job on evenings and weekends before we would put the kids in school so I could work. For one, we still have 2 that are too young for school and two, neither of us have any interest in putting kids in the PS system.

If I had to put the younger 2 in day care, I'm sure that the amount of sick time I'd have to take off would either get me fired or negate any real earnings for our family.

It would probably be a lot easier for us to rent out a room in our home to a student or someone we trusted who needed it. We've had people stay with us (for extended periods) in the past and it's something we would consider in the future if we were in dire circumstances.

I've thought about it to, but when we run the numbers we would be no better off if I had a job and he had a job. Childcare, school expenses, and other things would just eat up any money I made. We've run the numbers many, many times.

Also, my oldest has some serious behavior issues that would just make putting her in school dangerous for our whole family. It's much better to have her closely monitored at home.

At my kid's ages, yes I would do that. When they were younger, then no - I would have had to pay for daycare for them which would effectively cancel any benefit of my working (we ran the numbers once). We did not have family available who could have provided free daycare.

:iagree:

At my kid's ages, yes I would do that. When they were younger, then no - I would have had to pay for daycare for them which would effectively cancel any benefit of my working (we ran the numbers once). We did not have family available who could have provided free daycare.

I also view being a stay at home mother as something that will help us in the long run. I'd rather be dirt poor, then have a child who I can't raise.

This is our home, too. When Zee was a baby, we hadn't decided to homeschool yet, and just all around had a different set of priorities for our family than we do now. Dh suggested once that I have his mother watch Zee so that I could go back to work. I just looked at him and said 'I didn't give birth so that someone else could raise my child'. I think that's when it started to click for both of us that perhaps our priorities were out of whack; we could live with less money if it meant dh and I being the primary (and really, the *only*) caretakers of our children.

(And yes, I realize there are those who either must or choose to do that. I'm just saying for OUR family, this is the right choice.)

It would be something I would consider-and I have it easy in I just ahve to go back to our company, BUT, for most people, they can't.

They've been out of work too long to be considered.

They can't afford the gas/other car/ childcare that working would add.

They are over educated.

They are under educated.

For minimum wage, would it even be worth it?

If the all the kids can go back, can the job be worked around that schedule?

There are just SO many balls in the air with any one person's working needs being met.

Edited by justamouse

We didn't have "wolves at our door," but I lost my job 14 months ago. We were so used to living with both salaries, I attempted to find work. I started at our church's daycare/preschool and it was not an environment where I wanted my boys. We love our church, but the daycare was separate and not a positive environment. Next, I tried a different church daycare and it was great. But after paying for the boys to go (my infant was full price and my preschooler was 1/2 off) I wasn't making any money. I was dedicating my day to other people's children when I didn't get to see my own. Right now, I have a small in home daycare to help pay off debt. Once the debt is gone, hopefully in a year or two, I'll quit.

But if I had to, I'd try to get an evenings/weekend job.

I have two who would need full daycare and two who would need after school care, so no. It wouldn't work right now.

If they were, say, 5, 9, 12, 13, and 17, I would try to arrange a reasonable price for in-home care/supervision and continue to homeschool while working.

Older than that, I might reluctantly consider public school while working.

I would hate it. I would kick and scream and cry. We'd try other strategies first: Smaller less expensive home, one car, cut the grocery bill.... I'd try to get an evening job that allowed me to homeschool and work. But if my family needed me to get a job to help feed everyone, I'd put the children in school. (ETA: We are fortunate that dh works from home, so cost of childcare would likely not be an issue.)

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

No, I would not put my kids in school. I would rather take a 2nd or 3rd shift job and work while DH is sleeping so that someone would be home with the kids if we were in danger of losing the house. We have made a choice to be "poor" because we value our limited time with our children and learning together as a family above financial comforts and material things.

I've considered getting a job in the evening and still homeschooling. However because of our location and my background the only job I could possibly get would be minimum wage. By the time you factor in gas money, different clothes money, etc it would be of minimal help, considering it would only be part time. The emotional toll on my family would be worse (there is a lot unsaid in that statement, but I don't say that lightly).There are other circumstances involved that really point to my need to be at home.

I did apply for some online work yesterday, but I haven't heard anything yet.

We've cut our expenses tremendously in the last 12 months. We can make do with a pretty small amount. We are pretty adamant that ds continue to be homeschooled (again a lot of reasons go into that statement). We only have a few years left. At this point my death would be the only reason ds would end up in public school.

My husband and I talked about this recently and I asked him if he thought I should consider getting a job. His answer rocked! He told me that my work at home with the kids was so much more valuable than any $15/hour job (which would be decent for here) that I could get.

There are other things I can do though - like spend less (not that I really spend much anyway), try to make meals stretch, and watch my attitude.

It is hard to feel like you are always struggling..

In my current situation, getting a job would not help our financial situation all that much. I couldn't make enough money to make up for the higher tax bracket we would be in, the additional transportation and clothing costs, and the added stress of on my family of having a mom working full-time and trying to keep a household and family going.

If my husband were to lose his job and we had no income, I would go out and try to find a job ASAP. The kids would have to deal with PS, etc. But, my sister has been trying to do this very thing since her husband lost his job at the beginning of the year. She has been out of work for so long, and no one is banging down her door to hire her. It's a terrible time for job seekers. Even if McDonald's would hire you, most families can't live on minimum wage.

I've felt so badly lately for those posters who are despairing about finances. I can't imagine how tough it must be, but also realize that it could be any one of us, any year. I'm just so sorry....

I can't help but wonder, though, whether those of you who are SAHM's would consider giving up homeschooling in order to keep your house, keep your family together (prevent DH from having to move to another state to find work, etc.)

astrid

Yes. If we had a drastic and catastrophic change in our financial picture that was not bound to subside within, say, a year, yes, I would send the kids to PS and work full time.

Naturally, this would have to be severe, desperate and with no apparent end in sight, but I would not stay in poverty if the solution was send the kids to school and take a paying job or sink for good.

I would hate it. I would kick and scream and cry. We'd try other strategies first: Smaller less expensive home, one car, cut the grocery bill.... I'd try to get an evening job that allowed me to homeschool and work. But if my family needed me to get a job to help feed everyone, I'd put the children in school.

Cat

This is the question I ponder--

homeschool despite the reality that your family could be come homeless, hungry, etc.

or

give up the dream of homeschooling to keep a roof over their heads and groceries in their bellies.

It's a tough dilemma.

just pondering things today; avoiding housecleaning!

I'd try everything but putting them in school!

We've been homeschooling for 16+ years -- good years and lean years.

When I first started homeschooling, my husband had just opened his own business. And, for the first 5 years or so, he made next to nothing. He worked full-time during the day running his business, and then worked at night delivering pizzas for Dominos.

I had a preschooler and a toddler and I did home daycare for 4 other children and worked on the weekends at a veterinary clinic (answering phones and being a "warm body" for the pets who were in the hospital on Saturday / Sunday).

I worked at Wal-mart from September through January for 5 years straight in order to earn money for Christmas (and they give great employee discounts, btw!) That would be even easier for a homeschooling mom now, as most Wal-marts are open 24 hours. They weren't when I worked there.

Currently, I work from January through May for a tax accountant. She's a good friend of mine and I make roughly $300 a week doing that. It wouldn't support the family, but it pays for my spring homeschool curriculum shopping spree and for our annual family vacation at the beach.

Another thing...look for ways to save. We never bought furniture for our house..at least for the first 15 years of our marriage. I had everyone else's hand-me-down furniture. They bought new stuff, we got their old sets. I used cloth diapers. I breast-fed my kids. I made my own baby food. We never ate out at restaurants.

All of those things add up to extra savings.

Yes.

I never meant to quit working, but it was a process for me and I still miss working many days.

However, my kids are the ones begging me to continue homeschooling them. That is the main reason I do it.

If we were in dire straits, I would certainly be getting my resume ready.

Dawn

We are staring down that barrell as I type. My dh is suffering from chronic, worsening pain that looks like will eventually lead to his inability to work. Not to mention that there is no guarantee he will have a job next year even if he were in good health. At some point I may have to work just so we can have insurance. None of this has made us even consider putting our kids back into public school. Quite frankly, from a financial standpoint, it would be more cost effective to keep them home anyway. I already have 90% of the curriculum they'll need to graduate.

For us, it really isn't an option. HOWEVER, my children are very independent workers, and I believe they are old enough to handle some unsupervised hours during the day. In reality they wouldn't be unsupervised if we got to that point, because dh wouldn't be working.

I would really have to have NO other options before I would go back to work and put my older two in public school. It would not be a good fit at all for my bright, active, probably ADHD child, nor my sweet, shy child who needs to do things at his own pace. I'd probably rather move in with family before I would go back to work. In addition, I'd have to pay for daycare for an infant and a 3yo, and that would probably eat up a huge portion of any paycheck, as would gas costs, since we're 10 miles from anywhere.

Now, if I could get an evening job in a bit when the baby is older, maybe. We're not quite at that point yet though.

I wouldn't hesitate to work to meet our family's needs, and I would put my dc into public schools if the right job came along. For US, needs include adequate emergency funds and retirement savings. Dh already works a regular full-time job and he serves in the Air Force reserves as his part-time job.

The jobs in our area of the country wouldn't pay enough to cover child care for my crew if I did work. I would either work evenings and weekends or take in before/after school childcare. When my oldest is old enough to babysit, I could see paying her to babysit for me while I worked part-time. I have my eye on a part-time job at the library, but I would have to work afternoons 2x/week.

We would probably all move to a lower cost of living area for dh's work. We are very responsible people with very good credit. Our only debts are the mortgage. We'd try to sell the house, but failing that we'd rent it or have to give it up to the bank. I work from home on the side already. I would go out to work if it meant absolute survival.

I have not worked since I was pregnant with our first child. It would be hard for me to find a job. When we needed extra money, dh got an evening job. We both do odd jobs for people in the area when needed: babysitting, yard work, house work and helping watch a well.

We have talked about it and if it got bad enough I would get a job. But it would be scheduled where the kids would be at home with daddy. It is a hard thing to think about, especially since he can be called at all hours to get up and go to the hospital or to someones house. But we could work it out if needed.

Thankfully it has not come to that with us yet and God willing it won't get that bad.

We DO both work - we have different shifts and share all duties. We've been doing it for a long time to avoid daycare (because of cost and other reasons...). It is a not-always-fun juggling act, and I imagine that, for the most part, we have less energy for fun homeschooling projects than other HSing parents.

Thankfully, we haven't had to cross the bridge since we began homeschooling, but I do have a skill I can use for extra income while working from home. I used to be a very prominent piano teacher, performer, music consultant, etc. Just working about 15 hrs. per week, I made $750.00-1000.00 a month from my home or traveling to local gigs - more during the wedding blitz of June - August. I still charge $250.00 - $350.00 for wedding music, $75.00 for funerals for those I am not affiliated with, and $500.00 for other types of performances such as my "Biscotti with Bach" events. I haven't been very active musically for about five years. I semi-retired from that when we bought this church to renovate into our home and needed to be free evenings and weekends to help dh. But, if necessary, I would go back to it. There is a church about nine miles from here that's been barking at my door for a LONG time to take on a director of church music position there and I could still homeschool. I am very blessed to be able to do that.

But, if I didn't have that to fall back on, it would be or at least would have been (when the children were young) a different story. Daycare at $3.00 per hr. per child adds up big time. Gas is currently $3.75 a gallon in our area and very few people have a commute of less than 30 miles and most are nearer 50-60 each way because this area is so rural and underdeveloped. For someone who has been out of the workforce for a while, it could be next to impossible to find a job that paid well enough to actually make any money after expenses and taxes.

Speaking of taxes, many times a second income, if it is only minimum wage, really hurts because it boosts the combined marital income into the next tax bracket. I've known people that said mom couldn't afford to be a SAHM and then when they actually did the math, discovered they went in the hole for her to continue working.

So, though it sounds like a simple solution, it certainly only works for those with a marketable skill that will make above minimum wage and cover expenses as well as probably not having children in need of daycare or even before/after school care which can be even more difficult to find because most care centers want full-time kids and do not want to entertain the "tweens" for a couple of hours a day. Before/after school care in this area is $5.00 an hr. per child and comes with behavioral contracts, lots of restrictions, etc.

Many people in our area do not have access to relatives who would watch the children for free. The majority of the grandmas I personally know, my mom included, are still working (she's 68) and won't be retiring soon because the economy is so bad and their retirement investments are not what they had hoped.

Faith

I had an afterschool job a couple years ago. It started when dh was unemployed but I kept it when he found employment again. It was low-paying but there were virtually no expenses due to location and timing, etc. etc. It really was perfect.

However, it turns out that my dh did not embrace (and I really think he is not able to embrace) the long-term Mr. Mom role. I know, I know, suck it up and do it!! He wouldn't. He pawned it off on the older kids. This was really not something I could do anything about. Everyone was MISERABLE. I've shared this on here before. My oldest dd (then 7) left the house to find me at work while my dh was home. She got lost and wandered 5 miles from home in her sock feet. She was gone a couple hours. Dh never noticed. :tongue_smilie:

Happy ending. She recognized an intersection and found grandmother's house. Grandmother called dh. Whew! However, I quit my job the very next day. There are worse things than being broke.

We would do everything we could for me not to go to work. I would work nights/weekends and HS during the day or DH would get a 2nd job. Its not school that bothers me so much as summer daycare. I would do everything in my powere to not have my kids in daycare.

I didnt finish college and I could only make minimum wage. It would never be worth it for me to work unlless its opposite DH and we paid for no daycare

Yes, absolutely. However, we do think we can still make it on 1 income or 2 half incomes. So, guess who's resume had to be revived? Yep, mine. After 6 years out of the workforce. :) And cripes, I'm so old, who knows how accurate any dates I have on there are???!!! I digress, ;).

My dh already does do some of the teaching for me. I would miss it, but everything is on the table in terms of moving forward as a family unit, including ending homeschooling if we are incorrect about our survival on the 1 income or 2 half incomes.

I am also fortunate to live in a seasonal area where lots of overqualified folks do part-time work. So no stigma there. In some places there are just so many fewer options. :sad:

I've been thinking about it, because right now we are both w/o work. No unemployment, no income. Only thing we have going for us is we get food stamps.

Hubby is trying to find a full time job. He just graduated with an Assoc. Degree this last June.

I'm trying to find something part-time, in the evenings. I was working as a nanny, but I'm hesitant to do that again because I can't commit to 6 months or a year because we may move when DH finds a job (looking anywhere in the NW).

So I've been looking for work in fast food because it's flexible and I don't feel so bad if I have to quit shortly after starting. I only need to work 20 hrs a week to pay rent/bills (We are in super cheap housing because DH was a student. I hate it here, but at least it's a roof!)

If I found a really good job that could move us out of this h*ll h*le and would give me some skills or something I could transfer with us when/if we move - I'd leave schooling to DH while I work. He's got more skills and a degree, so chances are he'll find a better job first.

I would probably not put DS in PS unless it was either that or the street. And even then, I would probably use it more as a babysitter / temp situation until we could get life under control.

Well, the wolves ARE at the door here...snarling, growling, and scratching at that @^#% door.

I'm staying home. My 8yo has some serious learning "quirks"...not sure if it's merely visual processing or dyslexia or a mix b/c we can't afford testing at this point. (He had a dev opt diagnose him with visual processing problems before the "wolves" came.) My working and sending him to ps would be throwing him to another set of wolves.:glare: I think it (my working FT) would put a band-aid on our finances, but cause systematic failure in more important areas. I didn't even mention dd who is accelerated or ds5 who just began mirror writing like big brother (ACK!!!:svengo:) I am uniquely qualified to teach my brood, and would rather scrimp and scrape with $ than leave MY real work to other people (who would never meet my standards).

My degree is Music Ed. Yeah, ps's are not exactly hiring right now anyway, and certainly NOT in music. I have thought about getting certified to teach elementary in order to make myself marketable...which might be ideal for someday when I find the perfect private school...which may be never.:tongue_smilie: (b/c I've been reading too much here to be content with Abeka) There are no guarantees that I could find work beyond min wage, especially in this area. I've thought about childcare in my home, but we've dowsized to a 850sq ft apartment, and that's not so likely now.

I think there are so many factors that would make going back to work full time not very practical. I used to work in a well paid but fairly specialised area and can't return to that so would be stuck with a minimum wage job if I could get one. I think in practice we would not be any better off unless I got a very high paying job because our tax credits would reduce sharply and cancel out any increase in income plus I would have to pay childcare.

I think I would try and work nights/weekends if we were really that poor but it would have to be very well thought through and either just earning pocket money so as not to cut off the tax credits or earning a lot so that it didn't matter.

No, not at this point. It isn't worth it when we run the numbers. My 13yo cannot take care of the younger 5 for very long stretches at a time yet and I sitll have a preschooler.

The school district where we live is beyond atrocious. I could handle putting them in a neutral education situation (figuring I could pick up the slack in the evenings/on the weekends.) However, the local school situation would be detrimental to my children (just as it is for most of the kids that attend!) Add to that the LDs and it is a recipe for disaster - I won't sacrifice my dc's future for a few extra dollars now. I would live in a tent first.

Dh is currently looking for a second job. We are not at the desparate point anymore, though, so it isn't even a decision to be made at this time.

We can't. I spent more time at the schools when they were at school than anywhere else. I couldn't hold a job and stay at their schools plus there's only one of me and they'd be at three schools at this point.

We'd probably try some opposite shift work and outsource some subjects if it got real bad.

astrid

Luckily for me---it makes more sense for my husband to try and get in just a bit more work. In this town and with my 'earning' power being sooo in demand having been a SAH-homeschooling mom for 10 years---I'd have to literally break my butt to help a bit---and even that wouldn't be enough to cover our rent! There are just so many different ways for downsizing, cutting back etc. still---I don't have to consider giving up homeschooling. In fact, getting a job and putting ds in public school would cause MUCH more disruption in our family. Since our house WILL NOT sell---we are desperately scrimping and saving to move to a much more populated area to revive our business. No house is more important that keeping our family together---so having dh move away and waiting around to sell a house? Out of the question.

If it happened when ds was younger, yes I would have. Now that he's older, I'd say no. I'd find a curriculum that he could do mostly without my help, or we'd rearrange our schedule so he would do school when I was home. And I have enough homeschool friends who would get him to activities. In fact, we have a few homeschooled kids (older, teens) in our group in that situation. Various members help get the kids where they need to go.

Now off to read the other responses in this thread - I wanted to answer without reading first.

I've thought about this many times. The problem is that I have no skills, no degree, nothing to fall back on. Let's say I got a job, I would then need to find care for my DD before or after school, on weekends, etc. And I would need to pay for school things. Most likely any job I could get would not pay enough to cover all these things.

So while it could be done, it would take a LOT of sacrifice and hardship. I respect those that can get it done, but I'm not sure I could.

:iagree: For most people, another job will NOT help. Learning about finances, how to cull them in, get out of debt, live beneath your means is much more practical and realistic. At least according to the experts in the books I am reading ;)

The thought comes into my mind periodically. I think I would try to get a job in the evenings before I put DS in school. I couldn't work during the day though. The younger two would need full time day care and I have read too many scary day care stories to ever be able to trust them (I know there are good ones). I have no skills and haven't worked in about 6 years. I couldn't make enough to cover daycare.

We were facing the very real threat when I was about 6 months pregnant with baby girl. DH could only find the part time job, which wasn't enough to cover rent. Unemployment had run out. I was very obviously pregnant, no one would have hired me. I truly don't know how we made it for those two months, but somehow we did make it until DH got a FT job. The plan was to move in with my mom if we had to. Since he lost the PT job he had, I've been thinking about trying to find an evening one. I might do it when baby girl gets a little older. There's no desperate reason for me to yet, but we're not getting ahead at all. And heaven help us if we have a health issue. We'll be up a creek.

If we were in dire straits, yes, I would definitely put the kids in school and get a full time job. I currently work part time from home already, so I'd just up that to something full time. DH and I have discussed this and agreed if it came to that, we'd do whatever we had to to keep our home, etc. However, the schools around us are good and safe. If I felt they were really sub par, or dangerous in any way, I'd have to reevaluate. If I could I'd probably sell my home and move to another area.

I would not stay in poverty if the solution was send the kids to school and take a paying job or sink for good.

Of course, I've BTDT - I worked until my oldest was 11. I would probably work myself before having dh do 2 or 3 jobs.

We're about to rebuild our house which will make money very tight temporarily. Not as tight as some people here are dealing with but tight, and of course, we're doing it voluntarily. Our plan is for me to take in kids and/or teach some classes (probably science) for homeschoolers once we have the space.

Plan B is a part time job either at night when dh is home or during the day when my mother could watch the little guys.

Plan C would be to put DS in school and work full time. My mother would watch dd full time but not both of them. If it was very temporary it would probably be secretarial temp work or substitute teaching.

I have a degree in Business Administration, Marketing; everything except my student teaching for Elementary Education (could finish up alternate route); a degree in Biology; and a few courses toward a certification in Medical Writing. I have a lot of contacts still at Pharmaceutical companies and if I took the time to search could probably make $15 to $25/hour.

Most definitely. The wolves wouldn't even have to be at the door, just kind of howling in the distance.

Fortunately, I do have valuable education and work experience. I'm thankful for that. It's like an insurance policy to me.

Speaking of: Dh and I were discussing future plans for the dc this past weekend. We're OK right now, but we have 2 who NEED braces. NEED. And one headed to college in a year and a half. And it's not in the present budget.

I may have to head back after all.

Of course, the available school situation would have to be factored into the decision. If we were in an unsafe school district, maybe not.

I believe in home schooling. I do not believe in homeschooling *at ALL costs*. Certainly I would look at all the options, and engage in much fervent prayer about which path to take, but the bottom line for me is that we don't homeschool out of fear of the educational alternatives. We school at home (or out) based on what is best for each child and our family unit in each given season.

So, based on that, yes, I would likely return to the workforce before I let my home be foreclosed upon. But that's just me, and opinions & circumstances will certainly vary.