Menu

Poll on name Harley

First few times I heard it, I automatically assumed BOY name; however, we've known 3 Harleys and they've all been girls. I say it could be both, but I'd probably use it only for a girl at this point given the crowd we run with.

I wouldn't assume the parents were bike nuts, but it'd cross my mind the first time I heard the child's name LOL. I wouldn't ask or anything, but I may fish for that information :D!

First reaction: I wouldn't choose it for a child. Ever. Sorry. But if that's what you decide, I won't say a word about it.:)

Second reaction: Boy's name, not that I would name a boy "Harley"

Third reaction: Motorcycle.

Trivia: There's an actress named Harley Jane...something or other. She was in "Parenthood," and she played Richard Dean Anderson's wife on Stargate SG-1.

I say boy only. I don't see how it works as a girl name at all, myself.
Kevin Smith's daughter is named Harley Quinn. I don't know any male Harleys under 20, and suspect it's yet another name usurped by girls. Pretty soon there will be no "boy" names left.

Can Harley be both a girls name and a boys name? I say both and DH says only boy.

Do you automatically think of motorcycles? Would it be assumed that parents of this child are motorcycle nuts? We do not own a motorcycle. Would this be okay? :D

P.S. Are last name is not any form of Davidson. :lol:

Yes, sorry---the motorcycle, boys...and our friend's dog named Harley come to mind! And yes----they own 2 Harley's :001_huh: Harley's have just become such a popular thing...I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who wouldn't immediately associate Harley=motorcycle=boys.

I'm only telling you this 'cause you asked! :D

The name Harley really does scream "redneck", imo.

On the other hand, I completely support the rights of a parent to name their child after a motorcycle if they so desire. ;)

Sorry, but I TOTALLY agree with the above.:D

If I HAD to use it I would only use it on a boy -but I don't like it for either sex.

Yes I associate it with motorcycles and think that the parents or at least the dad is a fan.

In Australia at least I also associate the name with "bogan" - because only bogan parents name their kids Harley.:D

I know tons of girls with the name Harley and not one boy named Harley.

:iagree:I too, have never met a boy named Harley, but know several little girls with that name. I do think of motercycles. I'm trying to picture a boy / man named Harley and I really just can't. It sound way to cutsie.

I love the name Harley! Of course I think of the motorcycle, but that's not all I think of....and I wouldn't necessarily think the parents love motorcycles. I know three Harley's. One is a man about 25 years old. One is a little girl around 7 years old. And one is my FIL's dog.

We are from Kentucky so the community won't mind! :lol:

Glad you weren't offended! :D

At the same time though, it's possible that the baby with the cute redneck name might find it a bit of an impediment if they should decide on a different life later on, kwim? Just as an example, I find it extremely unlikely that we'll ever see a president with the first name of "Bubba" either! :lol:

I think it's fine for a boy or a girl.

I've never actually met anyone named Harley, but I do like it.

I never ever thought of it as a "redneck" name until someone mentioned it here, but now that I read that, it's kind of stuck in my head for the time being. I'm sure that will wear off.